•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Input on the use of 2" diagonals on the Tak FSQ106N

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 RolandosCY

RolandosCY

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 30 March 2017 - 05:27 PM

Hi there, 

I am trying to figure out how to use standard 2" diagonals on the 

Takahashi FSQ106N. I am aware that there is a specific adapter that threads from one side directly on the 106 focuser, and from the other side it threads on the Tak 2" diagonal. Is there any similar adapter on the market that can be used to mate generic (ie non Takahashi) diagonals to the 106N focuser? Any input will be greatly appreciated!

• Live_Steam_Mad likes this

#2 photoracer18

photoracer18

Soyuz

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 30 March 2017 - 05:43 PM

I am sure there must be an adapter from Tak to allow their scopes to use 2" accessories. However I am not sure that the FSQ-106N, which is not designed as a visual scope, would have enough back focus for a 2" adapter and a slide in 2" diagonal. A slide in 2" diagonal requires at least an extra inch or more of in focus from the scope to reach focus compared to a 1.25" diagonal. You need to put together a 1.25" setup and focus with an eyepiece, and see if there is at least another 1-1.5" of in-travel in the focuser available to be positive it will even work.

#3 RolandosCY

RolandosCY

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 30 March 2017 - 05:46 PM

I am sure there must be an adapter from Tak to allow their scopes to use 2" accessories. However I am not sure that the FSQ-106N, which is not designed as a visual scope, would have enough back focus for a 2" adapter and a slide in 2" diagonal. A slide in 2" diagonal requires at least an extra inch or more of in focus from the scope to reach focus compared to a 1.25" diagonal. You need to put together a 1.25" setup and focus with an eyepiece, and see if there is at least another 1-1.5" of in-travel in the focuser available to be positive it will even work.

The FSQ106N is usable with a particular Takahasi adapter that threads from one side on the focuser (with the 2" straight-view accessories removed). The other side of the adapter threads on the 2" Takahashi diagonal after the chrome barrel is unscrewed.

My question is whether all 2" diagonals have similar threads which would allow them to be used on the FSQ adapter.

Edited by RolandosCY, 30 March 2017 - 07:08 PM.

#4 crazyqban

crazyqban

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Miami, Florida

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:23 PM

That I know the adapter only works with the Tak diagonal. Additionally, there was a specific diagonal that was for the FSQ. Any 2" diagonal can be used with the FSQ if using the Extender QE os the Extender Q with the 2" adapter.

Photo 1 - FSQ-106N, Adapter (TDR0200), Extender Q 1.6X with 2" Eyepiece Holder, 2" Takahashi Diagonal (TDM0200)

Photo 2 - FSQ-106N, Adapter, Extender Q 1.6X with 2" Eyepiece Holder, 2" Takahashi Diagonal disassembled

Photo 3 - 2" Takahashi Diagonal inserted into adapter and the two parts that came off of the diagonal

Photo 4 - 2" Takahashi Diagonal mated with Adapter (TDR0200) and FS!-106N

Photo 5 - FSQ-106N with diagonal and adapter installed

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_6228.jpg
  • IMG_6227.jpg
  • IMG_6226.jpg
  • IMG_6225.jpg
  • IMG_6223.jpg

Edited by crazyqban, 30 March 2017 - 08:27 PM.

• Live_Steam_Mad and Raginar like this

#5 crazyqban

crazyqban

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:25 PM

Had issues getting these in order.

Photo 9 - FSQ-106N, Extender Q 1.6X with 2" Eyepiece Holder, and 2" Televue Everbrite Diagonal mated together

Photo 8 - FSQ-106N, Extender Q 1.6X with 2" Eyepiece Holder, and 2" Takahashi Diagonal mated together

Photo 7 - Closeup of Extender Q 1.6X with 2" Eyepiece Holder attacked to FSQ-106N

Photo 6 - FSQ-106N, Extender Q 1.6X with 2" Eyepiece Holder, and 2" Takahashi Diagonal

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_6229.jpg
  • IMG_6230.jpg
  • IMG_6231.jpg
  • IMG_6232.jpg

Edited by crazyqban, 30 March 2017 - 08:30 PM.

• Live_Steam_Mad and waso29 like this

#6 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

A man of many qualities, even if they are mostly bad ones

• Administrators

Posted 31 March 2017 - 04:26 AM

There are possibly another two options:

Using any 2" diagonal with a removable 2" diagonal to scope tube and use an adapter to directly mount it; or using a T2 (but there will be some vignetting with eyepieces having a wider field stop than T2) diagonal with an adapter on the scope side and mount it directly to the Tak.

#7 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

• Administrators

Posted 31 March 2017 - 04:27 AM

@ Sergio: Admit it, you loved having the opportunity to take all these photos - you are a Takaholic lol.gif lol.gif

• crazyqban and charotarguy like this

#8 RolandosCY

RolandosCY

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 31 March 2017 - 05:52 AM

Using any 2" diagonal with a removable 2" diagonal to scope tube and use an adapter to directly mount it; or using a T2 (but there will be some vignetting with eyepieces having a wider field stop than T2) diagonal with an adapter on the scope side and mount it directly to the Tak.

The thread on the Tak 2" diagonal is different than the thread of T2 or at least from the thread of the other 2" diagonal I have at home. I was wondering if there is an after-market adapter that on one side threads the FSQ focuser and on the other side to the vast majority of 2" diagonals (aw per the photos 6225 to 6228 above by Sergio). It seems that the Takahashi adapter is quite hard to get hold of!

#9 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

• Administrators

Posted 31 March 2017 - 05:59 AM

There are a ton of adapters out there and I am sure something can be found once you identify the thread and pitch of the Tak. 

Similar issue discussed here.

#10 crazyqban

crazyqban

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 31 March 2017 - 09:12 AM

The thread on the Tak 2" diagonal is different than the thread of T2 or at least from the thread of the other 2" diagonal I have at home. I was wondering if there is an after-market adapter that on one side threads the FSQ focuser and on the other side to the vast majority of 2" diagonals (aw per the photos 6225 to 6228 above by Sergio). It seems that the Takahashi adapter is quite hard to get hold of!

The problem is that if you just get a 2" adapter for the rear it will not come into focus. That is why it is designed as such. I even tried using a 1.25" mirror diagonal and was not able to come to focus. I'm sure that you can use any other diagonal that you like as long as the nosepiece is removable and you can find an adapter to marry it to the FSQ.

#11 Derek Wong

Derek Wong

Apollo

• Loc: Glendale, CA

Posted 31 March 2017 - 10:27 AM

I don't have an FSQ, but I do know about Tak and the 2" back focus issues.

If you want native 2" eyepieces to focus, you have a couple of choices.  First, the special Lumicon made short focus 2" diagonal TSD-0001 was made for the scope and comes up for sale every so often:

http://www.astromart...ified_id=627594

The other diagonals with removable ends will eat up more focus travel.  If you want to avoid extenders and focus cannot be reached, you need to remove the CAA.  Put a long focal length 2" eyepiece like a 31 Nagler into the diagonal, then press the diagonal against the bare focuser with no adapters and see if you can focus at infinity.  If you can and you have about 20mm of focuser in-travel left, you can have a custom adapter made from PreciseParts or a machine shop.  You will lose the ability to rotate the diagonal.

Derek

#12 anarrowfellow

anarrowfellow

Mariner 2

Posted 31 March 2017 - 07:14 PM

I love the views through Tak scopes, but man they are just so user-unfriendly with all the adapters and problems with this diagonal and that diagonal. I'm in the market for a smallish-Tak but I am asking every prospective seller if they use it visually and if so if it includes everything sans diagonal to observe visually. TV and SV make it soooooo much easier to just point at the sky and look at something :)

#13 waso29

waso29

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Chi-Town, mother earth

Posted 31 March 2017 - 11:33 PM

as Sergio pointed out, getting the FSQ106N astrograph ready for 2in ep is pretty straight forward with 2 parts:

- extender Q

- 2in Q adapter

I'd avoid removing the CAA off FSQ to prevent exposing the back lens set.

Any Borg fans?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1721 fsq106 2in ext q.JPG

• nicknacknock likes this

#14 Dennissloan

Dennissloan

Sputnik

Posted 09 September 2020 - 08:28 AM

Greetings
Just purchased used Takahashi FSQ 106N . Wher can I purchase 2 in Q adapter and TRD 0200 adapter?
Thanks
Dennis

#15 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

• Loc: Pensacola, FL

Posted 11 September 2020 - 04:47 PM

Takahashi America has them. They pop up from time to time used on astro art (usually after you buy it) 😂

#16 balu01

balu01

Messenger

• Loc: Las Vegas NV

Posted 13 September 2020 - 09:34 PM

I love the views through Tak scopes, but man they are just so user-unfriendly with all the adapters and problems with this diagonal and that diagonal. I'm in the market for a smallish-Tak but I am asking every prospective seller if they use it visually and if so if it includes everything sans diagonal to observe visually. TV and SV make it soooooo much easier to just point at the sky and look at something :)

Tak scopes are no different from others. You can point them to the sky and look just the same way, as long as you buy new or the seller gives you all extensions.

Visual with a 106 might be a different story , one needs to keep in mind that they are first and foremost astrographs.
I am lucky enough to have several of them, and never have to fiddle with additional stuff.

#17 213Cobra

213Cobra

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles, California, USA

Posted 14 September 2020 - 03:33 AM

I have FSQ-106ED and FSQ-85EDX. Both arrived with everything needed for visual use with 2 inch/50.8mm accessories (diagonals, eyepieces, etc.). They are flat field quads but still straightforward refractors. AP has its precision foibles but everyone knows that getting in. There are no special  challenges using an FSQ visually. That's the only way I use mine, and the excellent assigned Takahashi Extenders for each scope do an outstanding job of giving you some reach for planets, with appropriate eyepieces.

Phil

#18 alan.dang

alan.dang

Mariner 2

Posted 15 September 2020 - 01:52 AM

I have FSQ-106ED and FSQ-85EDX. Both arrived with everything needed for visual use with 2 inch/50.8mm accessories (diagonals, eyepieces, etc.).

The original fluorite and -N versions had shorter back focus, so the regular star diagonal doesn’t work unless you have an extender or a fancy ultra short 2” diagonal.
  • Live_Steam_Mad likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics