•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

B&L Bushnell 8X36 Custom models?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Canuck Bob

Canuck Bob

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 April 2017 - 10:44 PM

I am researching the 8X36 Customs for a potential purchase. There seems to be two distinct models.  These are going to be my sky bins if appropriate.

First is the grey body solid framed bino. Folks like the build and view on forums but note problems with the plastic eyecups. Folks also mention the upside down prism construction, round on bottom. I could find nothing on these much except Fan Toa's archived site. Both have 6.5 narrow view.

Second there is a Custom 8X36 Audubon with an open hinge frame porro construction. They are black bodied and seem to have rubber eyecups. They also have the upside down prisms.

I found some archived dealer sites and they indicate BaK4 prisms and FMC(?) . 

Anyone able to clarify coatings, mechanical quality, which is last type produced, etc..

http://www.opticspla...8xcusrubar.html

Closed frame style.
http://www.birdforum...ad.php?t=309751

The auction site only shows the open hinge model currently.

Edited by Canuck Bob, 04 April 2017 - 10:48 PM.

#2 SMark

SMark

Aurora

• Loc: Atlanta, GA USA

Posted 04 April 2017 - 11:09 PM

The (closed frame) Bushnell Custom 8x36 is Fully Coated, as it came out well prior to FMC becoming widely available. It is also a fairly wide field design at 8°, and is high quality. But it is also a bit on the rare side, and does not show up for sale nearly as often as the B&L Audubon 8x36.

• lit likes this

#3 lit

lit

Viking 1

Posted 19 November 2020 - 06:37 PM

The (closed frame) Bushnell Custom 8x36 is Fully Coated, as it came out well prior to FMC becoming widely available. It is also a fairly wide field design at 8°, and is high quality. But it is also a bit on the rare side, and does not show up for sale nearly as often as the B&L Audubon 8x36.

hi

was these binoculars made by Kowa or fujinon

• SMark likes this

#4 SMark

SMark

Aurora

• Loc: Atlanta, GA USA

Posted 19 November 2020 - 08:29 PM

hi

was these binoculars made by Kowa or fujinon

Actually, it's made by Toyo Jitsugyo, J-B138. This one comes after the Kowa and Fujinon models.

• lit likes this

#5 DrJ1

DrJ1

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 21 November 2020 - 11:37 AM

I have two B&L Custom Audubon 8x36 open hinge binoculars and they are each excellent with large sweet spot and high contrast.  FWIW, I have one Bushnell birder 8x40 that is not at all in the same class. This Bushnell was made in Hong Kong.  DrJ1

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics