•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New flocking material/Paint

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Brett Carlson

Brett Carlson

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Rochester, NY

Posted 05 April 2017 - 10:32 AM

I ran across this when looking for a supplier for Vantablack.   This paint is supposed to be very close!   I'm thinking about ordering a bottle and giving it a try.

https://culturehustl...st-art-material

I'm building a Carbon Fiber telescope....this would paint the inside of the tube.  

Anyone hear or use this before?

• bremms, NiteGuy, Jeff B1 and 1 other like this

#2 NiteGuy

NiteGuy

Apollo

• Loc: Northern Arizona

Posted 05 April 2017 - 10:46 AM

Looks like outstanding stuff. Since Vantablack is simply not available yet, unless you know somebody who knows somebody who knows somebody at Area 51. Black 2.0 is just what I've been trying to find for a couple of scope builds. Does this company have a US distributor for their product?

#3 AUricle

AUricle

Messenger

• Loc: Frankfort, IL

Posted 05 April 2017 - 10:47 AM

Interesting stuff Brett.....but what I Really want to know is,.......who in the heck is Anish Kapoor, and what did he do?shocked.gif lol.gif  

• Joe1950 likes this

#4 jimr2

jimr2

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sparks, NV

Posted 05 April 2017 - 11:12 AM

"Black-cherry" scented--WHY??!!! Not sure I want my scope to smell like black-cherries forever and after!

#5 barbarosa

barbarosa

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: 139 miles W of the Awahnee Hotel

Posted 05 April 2017 - 11:16 AM

His views on populism (right version bad, left version good), immigration (Indian born lives in the UK) and Brexit (not a supporter).From which we might conclude that the seller has different sentiments.  EDIT- The explanation in the post that follows is probably the better one.

The important thing for amateur astronomy though is--

• Black cherry scented
  • Priced at what it costs to make

Is the world ready for a scented telescope? If the answer is yes, the company ships via  mail. £25.38 per 150ml bottle to your (US) door.

Edited by barbarosa, 05 April 2017 - 01:58 PM.

• Joe1950 likes this

#6 musicengin

musicengin

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Western Massachusetts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 11:24 AM

Anish Kapoor has the exclusive rights to Vantablack, the blackest black on the planet.  Artists everywhere are disgusted with him.  Thus the negative press.

Not sure if his exclusive rights exclude ATM folks or not.

• barbarosa, havasman and AUricle like this

#7 Brett Carlson

Brett Carlson

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 05 April 2017 - 11:39 AM

I've ordered a bottle so I'll test paint something and let everyone know! Looks pretty cool.

Black cherry? I was wondering that myself!
  • havasman and Joe1950 like this

#8 GlennLeDrew

GlennLeDrew

Hubble

• Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 05 April 2017 - 12:23 PM

I'm curious about its performance at grazing incidence.

• havasman likes this

#9 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 05 April 2017 - 12:43 PM

Very interesting. Please report your results!

#10 Olle Eriksson

Olle Eriksson

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Skåne, Sweden

Posted 06 April 2017 - 04:29 AM

Not trying to hijack the thread, because this paint sounds like exactly what we're looking for, but how do you guys apply the flat black paints? I hear most people cover the outside of everything with polyurethane, expoxy, or polyester enamels like they're going to sea with their telescopes. But with the black paint, do you just use the black paint and nothing else? When painting my last telescope with layers of enamels it felt like I overdid the outside, and undid the black inside. Though I suppose any exterior grade paint should be fine, right?

Olle

#11 Brett Carlson

Brett Carlson

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 06 April 2017 - 10:26 AM

Not trying to hijack the thread, because this paint sounds like exactly what we're looking for, but how do you guys apply the flat black paints? I hear most people cover the outside of everything with polyurethane, expoxy, or polyester enamels like they're going to sea with their telescopes. But with the black paint, do you just use the black paint and nothing else? When painting my last telescope with layers of enamels it felt like I overdid the outside, and undid the black inside. Though I suppose any exterior grade paint should be fine, right?

Olle

The scope I'm building has a carbon fiber cylinder to protect the mirror.   This is what I'll paint with the Black 2.0.   The inside will not be bright glossy carbon fiber.  The inside will be rough and should take a flat paint well.   I have a test piece ready.   Once I receive the paint I'll test it and let everyone know.  

• jtsenghas likes this

#12 Benach

Benach

Vanguard

Posted 06 April 2017 - 03:43 PM

Just out of curiousity: how are you going to test this?

#13 Joepie

Joepie

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 07 April 2017 - 08:56 AM

Oh, this is looking very promising. I might buy some as well...

#14 Joe1950

Joe1950

Voyager 1

Posted 07 April 2017 - 11:19 AM

Black 2.0. 150ml. I ordered a bottle. It came to £19.23 or $24.75, shipped, via paypal. 

I have a couple areas in eyepieces that need a real dark coating. I'll have to test it, watch for outgassing. It is an acrylic based paint, so it shouldn't be too bad.

Let ya know how it works. Cheerio!

Can't get that Vantablack.   But we have VantaWhite! 

• Allanbarth1 likes this

#15 bremms

bremms

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SC

Posted 07 April 2017 - 01:22 PM

I ran across this when looking for a supplier for Vantablack.   This paint is supposed to be very close!   I'm thinking about ordering a bottle and giving it a try.

https://culturehustl...st-art-material

I'm building a Carbon Fiber telescope....this would paint the inside of the tube.  

Anyone hear or use this before?

I like the Anish Kapoor comments.

#16 musicengin

musicengin

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Western Massachusetts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 03:24 PM

Poking around a little more, it appears that Kapoor is in the process of testing the Vantablack for the purposes of artwork, and has exclusive rights to do so because the company that produces the stuff doesn't think it would work well in its present formulation for the general public/artist community.

So it sounds more like a kind of alpha testing/product tweaking process, that has created a bit of a tempest in a teapot in the art world; but if it is really about moving the product towards more tractable for the average user, then I'm all for it.   I like drippy sticky annoying stuff to be as un-annoying as possible.

#17 Brett Carlson

Brett Carlson

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 27 April 2017 - 09:34 AM

OK....I received my Black 2.0 and painted a few test objects.   

I painted one Rubber ball and two pieces of Carbon fiber that will have the same finish as the pieces I'll be using.

Here are the two pieces before painting

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTYw6XnhG5X/?taken-by=brett2c

here are the two pieces after 36 hours of drying,  2 coats with 3 hours of drying time between the two. 

https://www.instagra...aken-by=brett2c

It's not the "Black Hole" effect I was looking for but it is pretty effective for flocking paint. 

Edited by Brett Carlson, 27 April 2017 - 09:37 AM.

#18 LarsMalmgren

LarsMalmgren

Ranger 4

• Loc: Denmark

Posted 27 April 2017 - 09:59 AM

Brett,

do you have a green laser pen?

If so can you try to shoot the laser at the stuff in a dark room to see how it reflects?

Looks pretty much like some decorative black paint that I can buy at the Home depot/Construction Marked.

The paint I'm thinking of is one that makes the painted surface like a blackboard from school.

Has a raw texture to it but not as black as you would expect - just like your test shows.

I have used it paint the inside of telescopes with success but the protostar flocking velvet adhesive stuff is better.

#19 Brett Carlson

Brett Carlson

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 27 April 2017 - 10:03 AM

Brett,

do you have a green laser pen?

If so can you try to shoot the laser at the stuff in a dark room to see how it reflects?

Looks pretty much like some decorative black paint that I can buy at the Home depot/Construction Marked.

The paint I'm thinking of is one that makes the painted surface like a blackboard from school.

Has a raw texture to it but not as black as you would expect - just like your test shows.

I have used it paint the inside of telescopes with success but the protostar flocking velvet adhesive stuff is better.

I'll try the green laser and a weaker red laser.   When I saw that test with the Vantablack I assumed it was a function of the nanotubes.   I'll give that a show and let you know.  

Any other tests anyone wants to see?

#20 wrvond

wrvond

Surveyor 1

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 27 April 2017 - 10:09 AM

Not me, but I would like to know more about your CF tube. Do you have a thread started already?

• Brett Carlson likes this

#21 jrslivon

jrslivon

Explorer 1

Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:13 PM

When I was working on stereo cameras about 20 years ago the best light absorbing black spray paint that I could find was Testor's 1249 flat black spray enamel. Unfortunately it seems to be available only in 3oz. spray cans. I don't know how it compares to all the more modern flat black paints on the current market but it might be worth a try. I have an old can with a Wal-Mart price tag of $2.97. I think it's less than $6 now. Application may be the real challenge.

john

#22 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 27 April 2017 - 01:14 PM

Brett,

Again, thanks for posting all this up. I have a bottle ordered too and am glad to hear that it does actually deliver. In Semple's how-to-use video he refers to a recommended varnish overcoat that makes Black 2.0 capable of outdoor use without adding gloss. I have not gotten an answer from him about what varnish that is. My intent to paint the inside of the Starmaster mirror box with Black 2.0 kinda makes that a borderline outdoor application. Do you know what varnish he's talking about?

Your pics are helpful. The painted carbon fiber may not be Black Hole black but it looks really flat and non-reflective. That should be beneficial.

I'll tag onto your string here when I get some reportable results.

#23 Brett Carlson

Brett Carlson

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 27 April 2017 - 01:24 PM

Not me, but I would like to know more about your CF tube. Do you have a thread started already?

I have it in a old thread from last year.   Basically I'm taking a Meade Starfinder 16" and making a light weight replacement out of Carbon Fiber.    

The general plan is to make is look something like this but with the strut at the pivot point.

Then cut the strut and make pivot points so the scope can fold in on itself and be even more portable.   Like this:

The idea was to make this portable like a strut telescope but with less setup time.

#24 wrvond

wrvond

Surveyor 1

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 27 April 2017 - 09:32 PM

Thanks for the information!

#25 AUricle

AUricle

Messenger

• Loc: Frankfort, IL

Posted 27 April 2017 - 10:08 PM

Brett,

The culturehustle website shows a test in the panes on the right edge of the page.

Your ball isn't "blackhole" black beacause the majority of your lighting is in front of the ball. You can see it's really FLAT, but not really how dark it is.

Try backlighting the ball and then taking another picture. I have a feeling it'll be a whole lot 'blacker'.....

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics