•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Papilio users...6.5, 8.5 or both?

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#1 DarkDisplay

DarkDisplay

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 05 April 2017 - 05:29 PM

My little Papilio II 6.5x21 has to be the most fun binocular I own. Pentax really did bino lovers a favor by designing it. Besides enjoying VERY close-up views of just about anything (especially insects), I can look at birds/nature and even the moon. An extremely versatile and handy instrument to carry everywhere. I'm wondering if I should add the 8.5x to my collection. A little more magnification might be helpful in certain situations. Does anyone prefer the 8.5 or have both of these little binos? If you do, I'd appreciate your comments. 

By the way, for those who don't have a Papilio...join the fun. I doubt if you'll be disappointed.

Best wishes,

Frank

• CharlesC likes this

#2 Jay_Bird

Jay_Bird

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Nevada, USA 36 N 115W

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:15 PM

Can't help with your request for comparison but look forward to answers!

When asked years ago some regulars here replied how much they like the 8.5x.  

EdZ documented how the magnification of Papilios increases at closest focus to more like 8x and 10x.

I think the reason I like the 6.5x21, and echo all you said above, is that is has a good all around mix of exit pupil/brightness, eye relief/comfort, handhold-ability, true field of view, and unique close focus ability.  Does the 8.5x sacrifice any of the first 4 attributes? 

#3 carlcat

carlcat

Viking 1

• Loc: Northern California

Posted 06 April 2017 - 12:33 AM

I have the 8.5 and chose them over the 6.5 because I wanted the binoculars to be an all around binocular. I use them for birding as well as opera glasses and appreciate the extra power. I bought them over a decade ago so I can't make a direct comparison with the 6.5. They are bright enough for me and I can hold them fairly steady, especially sitting in a concert.

They are sharp with very good contrast. They are the most used and fun of all my binoculars. The only thing they can't do is fit in my shirt or pants pocket unless it's a winter coat pocket. It's fun watching kids use them in the garden checking out insects. This Thursday FedEx should deliver a pair of Zeiss 8x25 Terra ED binoculars. They will fit in a pocket and my take over as my all around binocular because of the portability.

#4 Neil Sanford

Neil Sanford

Mariner 2

Posted 06 April 2017 - 01:24 AM

Frank, I'm gonna go out on a limb here.  For ~$55 get a Fujinon Glimpz 5x21 9.4*.  Compared to your Papillo, here's what you will notice:

Optics less wow than Papillo, but still satisfying and useful over a wide range. 

Close focus adequate for all but Papillo novelty uses. 

9.4* appreciated in many circumstances.

Fits in many ordinary pockets.  I carry mine anywhere without its case, bare or in a flimsy plastic bag.

Extremely light.  Not much noticed until you want it.  Can be left hanging around neck for long periods that you wouldn't do with another bino, even the Papillo and most compacts.  For example in airplane, driving (at red light confirm street sign or landmark), just walking.

Works very naturally one-handed.

Neck strap / wrist strap and single-point attachment very well designed.

Obviously one would not seek a 5x21 for astro.  But its wide field and convenient presence make it a surprisingly useful finder.  And another surprise, sometimes just walking at night I use it to check out the heavens and it surprisingly satisfies, especially compared to having no bino handy ... even sometimes to the point that it confirms, hey, seeing is good, get home and set up.

Cheap enough to drop, lose or casually gift.

There's more but I'll stop.

• KeithC, CAAD9 and yoner like this

#5 pat in los angeles basin

pat in los angeles basin

Apollo

Posted 06 April 2017 - 05:21 AM

I second the fujinon glimpz with a caveat- if your eyes are more than one diopter difference with the right needing more correction than the left (and you are nearsighted), you might run out of adjustment. I ended up taking off the rubber eyepiece cover and carving away the plastic stop that limits the travel to get a bit more adjust.    Pat

#6 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 06 April 2017 - 06:18 AM

I have both the 6.5 and the 8.5- I cannot see that the 8.5 adds anything .

I use the 6.5 for deck viewing, the 8.5 in my truck.

edj

• mkothe likes this

#7 John_G

John_G

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 April 2017 - 06:56 AM

I've got the Papilio II 8.5 myself. I find it great for viewing my aquarium.

#8 Alan French

Alan French

Night Owl

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 06 April 2017 - 07:51 AM

Pentax used to show up at NEAF. After the Papillo first came out I spent quite a bit of time checking them out and comparing them.

I find lightweight binoculars harder to hold than still than standard sized binoculars - a bit more mass seems to help with steadiness. For me, the only choice was the 6.5 version. The unsteadiness in my hands was more obvious at 8.5 and it negated any advantage from the extra power.

Clear skies, Alan

#9 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 April 2017 - 09:18 AM

I went with the 6.5 myself after doing a lot of research,D.

#10 Rich V.

Rich V.

Cosmos

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 06 April 2017 - 10:40 AM

I went with the 6.5x Papilio for the larger FOV and greater stability.  Ended up getting another 6.5x PII to keep up at the cabin.  To me, the 7.5° FOV of the 6.5x is more useful all around.

I can't imagine the difference in the 6.5x vs. 8.5x matters much as far as the wonderful close-up views go.

Papilios are one of the best bino buys out there, IMO, and so useful (and just plain fun!) in macro mode for nature study.

Rich

• BFaucett likes this

#11 paulsky

paulsky

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 06 April 2017 - 11:40 AM

Hello,
I have the 6.5 X, very very versatile

Paul

#12 DarkDisplay

DarkDisplay

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 April 2017 - 02:44 PM

I took my 6.5's out for some distance viewing a few hours ago. The cell phone tower about 1/4 mile away was nice with all of its cables and wires appearing sharp. Birds in trees around the neighborhood were very colorful with lots of detail. A jet (way up there) showed up much better than I thought it would. I could see every part of its design and discovered that much of it was orange. And...no CA showing on anything I looked at. This little Papilio is known for spectacular close-up views, but everything else also looks very nice. Almost a perfect "does it all" bino for everyday use.

Best wishes,

Frank

#13 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 06 April 2017 - 06:15 PM

comparing on Astronomics website

6.5x21 on sale for $110 (probably 1) and 8.5x21 11 for $140

FOV 7.5* and 393'/1000yards vs 6* and 315'

ER 15mm both

Close focus 20" both

I believe everyone should have one.

edj

• Ron Rogers likes this

#14 range88

range88

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Shanghai

Posted 06 April 2017 - 07:38 PM

Buy both. They worth every penny.

#15 mkothe

mkothe

Viking 1

• Loc: Boston, MA

Posted 06 April 2017 - 09:45 PM

#16 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 07 April 2017 - 06:56 AM

any significant difference between the papillio 1 and 11?

edj

Edited by edwincjones, 07 April 2017 - 02:06 PM.

#17 PEterW

PEterW

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 07 April 2017 - 09:09 AM

Stop it, I will end as a collector at this rate!

PeterW
  • binolover likes this

#18 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 April 2017 - 09:30 AM

any significant difference between the papillae 1 and 11?

edj

Better coatings I believe, however these binos like most China products can have unit to unit variations, I would rather have a good MK1 version than a mediocre MK2,D.

#19 Rich V.

Rich V.

Cosmos

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 07 April 2017 - 11:07 AM

I've got both; the PIIs have less reflective eyepiece coatings but the green coatings on the optical window on the objective side appears a bit more reflective...   tongue2.gif

The lesser eyepiece reflections are a plus to me so the PIIs are a slight improvement.  Really not a big deal, though.

Rich

#20 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 07 April 2017 - 02:07 PM

Stop it, I will end as a collector at this rate!

PeterW

What-are you saying you do not have one, or more, yet?

edj

#21 Jay_Bird

Jay_Bird

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Nevada, USA 36 N 115W

Posted 07 April 2017 - 02:18 PM

For eyepiece reflections that can be seen on the version 1:

The papilios are so small you can hold them with hand(s) cupped so that thumb side of palm and forefinger touch your face and your fingers held together make a light shield or shade.  Instead of holding the bino body between thumb and forefinger it's more like between thumb and last 2 fingers, with other fingers making the shade. This works if I hold the 6.5x in either hand, just so the one hand is on the up-sun side.  Shade your eye and the eyepiece, no more reflections.  I'm sure the same approach works for the glimpz (son/daughter of eventium) Fuji 5x21 reverse Porro mentioned before, too.

the 6.5 are nice for camping/hiking nature viewing, plus up-close views that approach having a coat-pocket stereo microscope, and can entertain for an evening of moon, Jupiter/Saturn/Venus and brightest DSO or wide double star observing in a pinch.

#22 PEterW

PEterW

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 07 April 2017 - 02:29 PM

No papilio yet. I have added more than one set of bins recently that are very good at what they do... this would be another. I will have to find a bigger place to store my bins!

Cheers

Peter

#23 tropical

tropical

Viking 1

Posted 08 April 2017 - 10:43 PM

Too many toys .. too little time.

• Herr_Alien likes this

#24 DarkDisplay

DarkDisplay

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 April 2017 - 10:57 PM

UPDATE on using my 6.5x Papilio:

I decided to put this little bino to a real test. Anything goes. Not just enjoying extremely close views...anything. Like using it at a NASCAR race at Texas Motor Speedway. No joke.

First, a night in the country on the way to Fort Worth. The very dark sky was inviting and the Papilio did not disappoint.  Craters on the moon were clear and sharp. In fact, the entire moon had lots of detail with no noticeable CA. Many stars popped out where they had been unseen before. Very enjoyable.

My wife and I sat higher than we normally do at the race. An excellent view of the 1 1/2 mile track. The action was easy to follow the entire 3 1/2 hours. Pit Road was as exciting as always and I missed none of it with my Papilio. Did I expect such satisfying results? Not really. By the end of the race I had changed my mind. This is more than a close view instrument, indeed.

On the way back home, we stopped in the same country area again. And more fun with the little binos. From looking at flowers and insects to watching distant birds, I had an enjoyable time with the edge to edge perfection.  Unfortunately, it was too cloudy for stargazing.

Wow. This binocular is certainly going to be used a whole lot. I made the mistake of using it just for closer viewing. How wrong I was! I think it's about time to add the 8.5x to my collection.

Best wishes,
Frank

• nickatnight and BFaucett like this

#25 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 April 2017 - 09:54 AM

Too many toys .. too little time.

Too many binos, not enough eyessmile.gif  D.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics