•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Papilio users...6.5, 8.5 or both?

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#26 blc111

blc111

Vostok 1

• Loc: texas usa

Posted 03 May 2017 - 12:41 AM

These are the best all around binoculars for the naturalist. You have both close-up and distance capabilities that are not found with another comparable product. At least that was the case when I first bought them when they were initially available. They are particularly useful for hunting small gems, fossils and artifacts that you would miss otherwise by just using your unaided vision alone. I use them for hunting these objects during the day or night (using a headlight). Try it, as this is a unique application and well worth the effort. Astronomy......not so much! Brad
  • Adun likes this

#27 nickatnight

nickatnight

Skylab

• Loc: Santa Clarita, CA (LA Suburbs)

Posted 03 May 2017 - 02:13 AM

I had the 8.5x Papilio and loved it. Agree they are a must have for any bino lover. I gave my 8.5x away to my sister when I was visiting in Florida. She's a birder, and they also have some great bugs and plants in Florida. I knew I had to replace them as soon as I got home, so the second time around I got the 6.5x. I'm equally pleased with the 6.5x. The one small difference I noticed is when I sit stationary in my chair in the back yard, the bees I would watch on nearby flowers are now a little further away in the view. When you're walking and on your feet, the 6.5x to 8.5x makes little difference. But from a fixed spot, like my chair, things do get a little further. If I ever give away my 6.5x, I may go back to the 8.5x, but the advantage for one over the other is very slight.

• BFaucett likes this

#28 theo98

theo98

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: SE La

Posted 03 May 2017 - 07:15 AM

My little Papilio II 6.5x21 has to be the most fun binocular I own. Pentax really did bino lovers a favor by designing it. Besides enjoying VERY close-up views of just about anything (especially insects), I can look at birds/nature and even the moon. An extremely versatile and handy instrument to carry everywhere. I'm wondering if I should add the 8.5x to my collection. A little more magnification might be helpful in certain situations. Does anyone prefer the 8.5 or have both of these little binos? If you do, I'd appreciate your comments. 

By the way, for those who don't have a Papilio...join the fun. I doubt if you'll be disappointed.

Best wishes,

Frank

Frank,

I considered the 8.5 for the additional resolution reasons, but decided on the 6.5 to garner a wider FOV, wider EP and less hand-holding shake. Unfortunately, the 6.5x21 U-Series Papilio II Binocular I got last week came in Out of Collimation! I was really stern with the vendor when requesting an exchange, as the first pair came in with the OEM box set loosely inside the much larger shipping box (No Padding), allowing it to bounce around on it's 1500 mile journey (Sure it was out of collimation...Go Figure)! bangbang.gif

Ted

Edited by theo98, 03 May 2017 - 09:22 AM.

• Adun likes this

#29 theo98

theo98

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 09 May 2017 - 05:34 PM

My little Papilio II 6.5x21 has to be the most fun binocular I own. Pentax really did bino lovers a favor by designing it. Besides enjoying VERY close-up views of just about anything (especially insects), I can look at birds/nature and even the moon. An extremely versatile and handy instrument to carry everywhere. I'm wondering if I should add the 8.5x to my collection. A little more magnification might be helpful in certain situations. Does anyone prefer the 8.5 or have both of these little binos? If you do, I'd appreciate your comments. 

By the way, for those who don't have a Papilio...join the fun. I doubt if you'll be disappointed.

Best wishes,

Frank

Frank,

I considered the 8.5 for the additional resolution reasons, but decided on the 6.5 to garner a wider FOV, wider EP and less hand-holding shake. Unfortunately, the 6.5x21 U-Series Papilio II Binocular I got last week came in Out of Collimation! I was really stern with the vendor when requesting an exchange, as the first pair came in with the OEM box set loosely inside the much larger shipping box (No Padding), allowing it to bounce around on it's 1500 mile journey (Sure it was out of collimation...Go Figure)! bangbang.gif

Ted

Papilio II- 2nd go round:

Received the exchange Papilio II in Perfect collimation! However, the smooth focuser is hitting high resistance when out at 100yds or so. If I go steady to infinity, no hang up. But when I stop around a focus of 90 to 110 yds, it takes good effort to break the resistance for either going back to CF or up to infinity...Weird. Worked it steady for 2-days...No Improvement...Has to go Back! Actually, the 1st & 2nd Papilios had serial numbers that were just 2 digits apart, both must have been mnf. on a Monday morning...After Holiday!! smirk.gif

Overall, CF is about 19" and I was pleasantly surprised at their very balanced color fidelity and sharpness. The 2nd exchange (3rd Papilio) is on the way...hopefully 3rd time is the charm. Otherwise, it'll be like, "3 stikes-Your Out"!

Ted

#30 pat in los angeles basin

pat in los angeles basin

Apollo

Posted 10 May 2017 - 08:05 AM

I found a similar problem with my 6.5 papilio II- but kept them when I found that if I used the focuser barrel with my finger tips moved to the forward portion of the barrel as opposed to the bitter end, the friction was much less.   Pat

#31 BillP

BillP

ISS

• Vendors
  • Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 10 May 2017 - 08:15 AM

Before I purchased my 6.5x I tried both at the store (outside) for about an hour experimenting.  In the end I decided for the 6.5x because I liked the slightly brighter view and they were much easier to track flying bugs and other creatures.  The greater magnification unity was nice for seeing details better on distant objects, but it scarified their ability to do what they were designed to do, which is to observe wildlife at close quarters.  If I go on a hike or walk, they are my standard take with binoculars as great fun for close up views of flowers and little critters.  They also go with to concerts or other live stage affairs.

Edited by BillP, 10 May 2017 - 08:16 AM.

• BFaucett likes this

#32 theo98

theo98

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:54 AM

Best wishes,

Frank

Frank,

Ted

Papilio II- 2nd go round:

Received the exchange Papilio II in Perfect collimation! However, the smooth focuser is hitting high resistance when out at 100yds or so. If I go steady to infinity, no hang up. But when I stop around a focus of 90 to 110 yds, it takes good effort to break the resistance for either going back to CF or up to infinity...Weird. Worked it steady for 2-days...No Improvement...Has to go Back! Actually, the 1st & 2nd Papilios had serial numbers that were just 2 digits apart, both must have been mnf. on a Monday morning...After Holiday!! smirk.gif

Overall, CF is about 19" and I was pleasantly surprised at their very balanced color fidelity and sharpness. The 2nd exchange (3rd Papilio) is on the way...hopefully 3rd time is the charm. Otherwise, it'll be like, "3 stikes-Your Out"!

Ted

Papilio II- 3rd go around:

Well, the 3rd Pentax Papilio II 6.5X21 has hit a Grand Slam!

Functions and features are very impressive:

*super smooth even focus with no slack, no stickion, this unit has 1 revolution of focus for 5ft down to an amazing CF of just 15", 1 revolution for focal sweep from  5ft to 100ft, another full revolution beyond infinity

*IPD smooth with perfect resistance, perfect collimation, eye cups comfortable with great 3 position lock-ins

*solid grippe armor, full bino strap 360 deg rotation, good Ocular cover, nice cordura case and just 10oz of bino weight

Optically, these bat well above their price point:

*FOV is crystal clear and is sharp out to 90%+...Big Sweet Spot

*Colors are a little on the warm side with bright images-even in the shadows

*Pin-point focus and superb resolution details for a 6.5X

*CA and glare issues appear well controlled

*Reverse porro design presents a nice DOF stereopsis

*Good eye relief (no glasses) with quick FOV acquisition

Overall, I'm impressed with these 6.5X21's as they can offer a comfortable view throughout, especially within their amazing CF range!! The vendor (B&H) has listened and the past 2 binos were well protected with BW and arrived in perfect collimation. The only real negative is that these are not weather proof, thus need to be treated accordingly!

Ted

• BFaucett likes this

#33 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 23 May 2017 - 01:18 PM

watching bugs is great,

but flowers are better

with the papillios

edj

• Crusty99 likes this

#34 DarkDisplay

DarkDisplay

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:12 PM

Ted -

Yes, you're going to love it! I'm glad you got one that satisfies you. Mine has been perfect since the day I got it. It's so fun to be able to observe insects so close, enjoy birds/nature and look at the moon's craters with the same little binocular. A very useful, well-made instrument. 

Best wishes,

Frank

• theo98 likes this

#35 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 May 2017 - 01:48 PM

Having the MK1 version of the 6.5x21 is their any point in getting the latest version,are the differences that major? thanks Dave.

#36 theo98

theo98

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 27 May 2017 - 02:51 PM

Having the MK1 version of the 6.5x21 is their any point in getting the latest version,are the differences that major? thanks Dave.

BJ,

According to the B&H Pentax 6.5x21 Papilio Ads, specs state the II's have "Fully Multi-Coated Lenses". The spec page for the I's make no coating statements, thus probably just the air to lens surfaces are multi-coated!

Hopefully you'll get some feedback from "1" owners on any relevant differences...

Ted

#37 Rich V.

Rich V.

Cosmos

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 27 May 2017 - 03:34 PM

Ted, I've got both versions.  The original Papilios have more reflective coatings on the eyepieces; they look more like good single MgF2 coatings.  The PIIs have the "FMC" look with fainter, greenish reflections.  The PIIs have less of the occasional veiling reflections coming back into my eyes off the eye lenses.  This happens only under very particular conditions where there's bright light coming from behind me.  It's easy enough to block any intruding light, anyhow.   It's not a noticeable thing at all most of the time, IMO.

On the PIIs, the multi-coated flat window over the objectives appears slightly more reflective than the also multi-coated window on the original Papilios; kind of a trade off.  To me, there's not enough of an improvement over the originals to warrant getting the II model unless, like me, you need to have two Papilios.   wink.gif

Rich

• theo98 likes this

#38 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 30 May 2017 - 09:50 AM

Ted, I've got both versions.  The original Papilios have more reflective coatings on the eyepieces; they look more like good single MgF2 coatings.  The PIIs have the "FMC" look with fainter, greenish reflections.  The PIIs have less of the occasional veiling reflections coming back into my eyes off the eye lenses.  This happens only under very particular conditions where there's bright light coming from behind me.  It's easy enough to block any intruding light, anyhow.   It's not a noticeable thing at all most of the time, IMO.

On the PIIs, the multi-coated flat window over the objectives appears slightly more reflective than the also multi-coated window on the original Papilios; kind of a trade off.  To me, there's not enough of an improvement over the originals to warrant getting the II model unless, like me, you need to have two Papilios.   wink.gif

Rich

I ordered a pair, should be here tomorrow, then I will do a side by side comparison, only one will be kept the other can be returned if its the new one or if its the older pair sold, thanks for the info, Dave.
  • theo98 likes this

#39 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 June 2017 - 11:20 AM

Well the P11 arrived, other than the model label they seem identical to my older pair of the P1, the focuser is a bit stiffer but that could be the fact they are new compared with an 8 yr older model?. They throw up a brighter image for sure, not hard to see the difference. A minor complaint is the case, looks like they altered the styling just a bit and my sample  looks a bit deformed if that's the right word for it? however when you consider they cost less than my early version 8yrs later they offer a remarkable special instrument for a very low price, Dave.

• theo98 likes this

#40 Fivemileshigh

Fivemileshigh

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 29 July 2017 - 05:23 AM

I got one of these the other day. As mentioned somewhere else, the magnification increases at close focus to about 10x (estimated) which means more image shake. Noticeably so. I imagine the 8.5 version even more.

I also did some quick stargazing with mine and found they are more than decent. No color on the edge of the moon. I could make out Jupiter's moons, with some difficulty. In my backyard, M13 is not naked eye, but I could see it with the Papilio. Albireo showed some nice colors. The stars are sharp out to about 50-60% of the field, then they gradually get worse until they become little dashes at the edge, not any worse than my Nikon 7x35.

They're not great for astro use, but if you're not man enough to hike to the top of a dark mountain with your Nikon WX, these will do nicely wink.gif

I find it surprising that these have no competition in the marketplace, it seems like such a great idea well worth copying and improving upon!

#41 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 29 July 2017 - 06:48 AM

I have both the 6.5 and the 8.5 and use them interchangeablely (is that a word?). I like the 6.5 better

but

plan on giving it to my grandchildren (7, 5,5 yo) as I think the lower mag , less shake, wider FOV better for young kids

and

I will keep the 8.5

I have several post about more expensive pocket compacts but their benefits not justified by higher cost (in my opinion).

edj

#42 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 29 July 2017 - 06:54 AM

..... if you're not man enough to hike to the top of a dark mountain with your Nikon WX, these will do nicely wink.gif....

question.gif

-to get the WX I will have to sell all my other binoculars

-if I spend $6400 for the WXs, I darn well will take them everywhere

-if you see in the news a report of an old, fat, dead man 1/2 up the hill, clutching a pair of WXs

contact my estate for a good deal

edj

but I will have the papillios also for closer views as close focus WXs  probably a mile or more

Edited by edwincjones, 29 July 2017 - 06:58 AM.

• Albie and jay.i like this

#43 Traveler

Traveler

Soyuz

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 01 March 2018 - 05:15 AM

Digging up this older topic, i am thinking about buying a 6.5x21 myself.

Hoewever, i prefer using it with glasses. Will that be possible with these very interesting Pentax Paillo's?

#44 PEterW

PEterW

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 01 March 2018 - 05:20 AM

The feature screw up eyecups, which I need as I don’t wear glasses, so I expect you’ll be OK. Very nice small bins, cool close focus!

PEter

#45 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 March 2018 - 11:09 AM

I have the later version of the Papilio, 6.5x , their is just enough eye relief to use with glasses, 15mm I believe,D.

#46 Traveler

Traveler

Soyuz

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:46 AM

Thank you both.

I think i pull the trigger buying the 6.5.

Funny though, with these Papilo's the 8.5 is less expensive than the 6.5. Funny because with binoculars it is common that the price gets higher when the magnification get s higher given a binocular within a serie (for example a Nikon 7x50 AE is less expensive than a Nikon AE 10x50). With these Papilo's it seems to be the opposite...

#47 Rich V.

Rich V.

Cosmos

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:09 PM

The European retail price for the 6.5x is €179,00 and the 8.5x is €199,00.  Perhaps individual dealers ask what they think they can get...

https://shop-nl.rico...s/u-series.html

Rich

#48 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 03 March 2018 - 07:57 AM

The European retail price for the 6.5x is €179,00 and the 8.5x is €199,00.  Perhaps individual dealers ask what they think they can get...

https://shop-nl.rico...s/u-series.html

Rich

These may be the best value of any optics!

edj

Edited by edwincjones, 03 March 2018 - 07:57 AM.

#49 PEterW

PEterW

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 03 March 2018 - 09:42 AM

The prices have certainly risen, keen a watch for deals. I found a decent one and held them to the webpage ad. Still a bit more that I had hoped to spend. Took them to a concert with the kids last week... didn’t get to look through them though!

PEter

#50 tropical

tropical

Viking 1

Posted 17 March 2018 - 02:33 PM

It is still cheap on the BAY. ~ $115 new.

https://www.ebay.com...872.m2749.l2649

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics