•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Papilio users...6.5, 8.5 or both?

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#51 Traveler

Traveler

Soyuz

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 28 March 2018 - 09:55 AM

Bought the 6.5 x 21 for 139 euro (incl. shipping) and it came in yesterday. There is enough eye relief indeed with glasses (i use the first click position). Yesterday i went outside and i am a little amazed how good the optics are. Till now, i am totaly satisfied.

#52 tropical

tropical

Viking 1

Posted 28 March 2018 - 10:31 AM

I bought one last week and the quality is excellent.  Flowers, insects ,  and even birds look amazing.  Not too impressive under dark sky, though.  Different horse for different course.

#53 PEterW

PEterW

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 28 March 2018 - 11:09 AM

Got some lenses on order, see how I get one when they arrive.

Peter

#54 Full Sun

Full Sun

Messenger

• Loc: NOTL, Ontario

Posted 28 March 2018 - 12:22 PM

I found a new pair of 8.5 Papilios,  basically at a used price,  here at a dealer in Ontario.

I would have likely ordered the 6.5x’s model ( based on CN reviews)  but they were sold out.

I decided to just go ahead and take what they had available in stock.

For my purposes, they will only be needed for close focus targets and not for general use.

Now that I have them, they are very impressive in the field and I am delighted with them.

i see no  problem with handling, the higher magnification option, even though they are the only model I have experienced.

. These macro targets just simply jump out at you at 8.5 x’s and are certainly going to be used

around the garden this spring.

Edited by Full Sun, 28 March 2018 - 04:29 PM.

• Albie likes this

#55 Albie

Albie

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Alberta,Canada

Posted 28 March 2018 - 02:08 PM

For the extremely close viewing  the Papilio is best mounted . Hand held and as close as you can get to the target requires a lot of focus adjustments as I can't keep still enough .  I was lucky enough to have a nice light duty tripod with crank elevation and smooth panning given to me by a friend . It is perfect for the Papilio and allows me to get as close as the focus will allow  without the need to constantly focus . Watching bees in the flowers is exciting waytogo.gif.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00461 (Medium).JPG

Edited by Albie, 28 March 2018 - 02:09 PM.

• paulsky likes this

#56 Albie

Albie

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 March 2018 - 02:11 PM

Another pic

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00453 (Medium).JPG

#57 PEterW

PEterW

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 31 March 2018 - 05:00 AM

Got some eBay camera lens close up lenses (58mm), only the +1 gives any benefit (the others either wont focus or are really blurry and lack the native contrast of the bins). The +1 still lacks some contrast (when reading high contrast white on black text), but it provides greater zoom and closer in that the native bins and this issue doesn’t affect the view on real objects too much. I’ll design a mount and wait for the separate small acromats to arrive.

Peter

#58 Rich V.

Rich V.

Cosmos

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 31 March 2018 - 03:22 PM

Got some eBay camera lens close up lenses (58mm), only the +1 gives any benefit (the others either wont focus or are really blurry and lack the native contrast of the bins). The +1 still lacks some contrast (when reading high contrast white on black text), but it provides greater zoom and closer in that the native bins and this issue doesn’t affect the view on real objects too much. I’ll design a mount and wait for the separate small acromats to arrive.

Peter

How will you deal with the parallax between barrels caused by close up views?  That's the beauty of the Papilios; they go "cross eyed" as you focus at the closest distances.

Rich

#59 PXR-5

PXR-5

ISS

• Loc: Lower Earth Orbit

Posted 31 March 2018 - 09:20 PM

I've got the Papilio II 8.5 myself. I find it great for viewing my aquarium.

Great, another reason to buy them..lalalala.gif bangbang.gif

My wife will really think I've lost it, using binoculars to look at fish LOL

Edited by PXR-5, 31 March 2018 - 09:22 PM.

#60 PEterW

PEterW

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 01 April 2018 - 01:45 AM

I’ve used them to look at my feet...
The view does get slightly cross-eyed with the lens added, but still usable.

Peter

#61 DarkDisplay

DarkDisplay

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 02 April 2018 - 05:43 PM

There has been a wealth of good information (and just some fun) posted here about the Papilio bino since I started this topic about a year ago. An enjoyable little binocular that can be used in so many ways for really close or distant targets. Lots of variety. The idea of a small tripod never occurred to me until I saw the post by Albie. Watching ants go about their daily routine would be fascinating. Never-ending uses for this little gem!

Best wishes,

Frank

#62 Traveler

Traveler

Soyuz

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 25 July 2018 - 01:06 AM

Since march this year i own a 6.5 x 21 Papilio. Here a short feedback.

For years i was walking/hiking with my Nikon Monarch 8 x 42. A great instrument...but:

All i can say, i carry only my Papilio since i bought the Papilio. Men (!), i have seen so many creatures in close up, Creatures new for me which i can determine in the field.

These new nature observation dimension result in the fact that i don't use my Monarch anymore when doing nature/insect observations...It is simply a perfect instrument.

#63 Jimmy462

Jimmy462

Ranger 4

• Loc: Putnam County, NY

Posted 03 August 2018 - 03:45 PM

When my sweetie and I checked out the Papilios at B&H, comparing the views between the 6.5x and 8.5x, we both looked at each other and went with the 8.5x's! They're great out in the yard or when hiking around for observing butterflies and other small wildlife or plant life at one's feet especially when one doesn't want movement to disturb the subject of viewing!

Folks should note the original versions could focus at 19.7- and 19.2-inches respectively, and that the Mark II's have done away with this, um, Papilio (Butterfly) ability and now closest focus is at 10- and 10.4-feet respectively...for shame, Pentax...so glad we have the originals! Ha!

smile.gif

Jimmy G

Edit: Please note that the closest focus distances I state above are incorrect and were based on incorrect product information from a manufacturer's website. Kindly read on for details.

Edited by Jimmy462, 04 August 2018 - 06:53 AM.

#64 pat in los angeles basin

pat in los angeles basin

Apollo

Posted 03 August 2018 - 04:20 PM

"Folks should note the original versions could focus at 19.7- and 19.2-inches respectively, and that the Mark II's have done away with this, um, Papilio (Butterfly) ability and now closest focus is at 10- and 10.4-feet respectively...for shame,"

Can I ask the link for that info? I went to the ricoh usa site and they show  .5 m for the close focus for both models- note that at the B&H photo they have the 10' focus quote. I bought some papilio II for a gift, checked them out and found they were the same close focus as the original.                      Regards, Pat

• Jimmy462 likes this

#65 Rich V.

Rich V.

Cosmos

Posted 03 August 2018 - 04:59 PM

Folks should note the original versions could focus at 19.7- and 19.2-inches respectively, and that the Mark II's have done away with this, um, Papilio (Butterfly) ability and now closest focus is at 10- and 10.4-feet respectively...for shame, Pentax...so glad we have the originals! Ha!

smile.gif

Jimmy G

B&H's spec is definitely wrong but the overview is correct.  

I have both the Papilos; original and PII.  Nothing has really changed.  Both use the convergent lens system and have the same ~19" close focus.  question.gif

Rich

• Jimmy462 and outofsight like this

#66 Jimmy462

Jimmy462

Ranger 4

Posted 03 August 2018 - 10:50 PM

"Folks should note the original versions could focus at 19.7- and 19.2-inches respectively, and that the Mark II's have done away with this, um, Papilio (Butterfly) ability and now closest focus is at 10- and 10.4-feet respectively...for shame,"

Can I ask the link for that info? I went to the ricoh usa site and they show  .5 m for the close focus for both models- note that at the B&H photo they have the 10' focus quote. I bought some papilio II for a gift, checked them out and found they were the same close focus as the original.                      Regards, Pat

B&H's spec is definitely wrong but the overview is correct.  

I have both the Papilos; original and PII.  Nothing has really changed.  Both use the convergent lens system and have the same ~19" close focus.  question.gif

Rich

Hi Folks,

This is what I've got...

Ricoh Imaging | Pentax Papilio II 6.5 x 21 Binoculars:

https://pentax.com.a...ts/62001#tabs-3

Ricoh Imaging | Pentax Papilio II 8.5 x 21 Binoculars:

https://pentax.com.a...ts/62002#tabs-3

...and, actually thanks for asking me to check up on that sourcing as my original posting should read, ">snip< the Mark II's have done away with this, um, Papilio (Butterfly) ability and now closest focus is at 10- and 10.4-feet 9.24-feet respectively...>snip<" based on the two Ricoh links I used for my post.

Hope that helps. smile.gif

Jimmy G

Edit: Please note that the product information in the links I have provided is incorrect. Kindly read on for further details.

Edited by Jimmy462, 04 August 2018 - 06:50 AM.

#67 avid_dk

avid_dk

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: SW Oregon, SW USA

Posted 03 August 2018 - 10:51 PM

I just purchased a pair of the 6.5s from Amazon since I have become interested in Butterflies. We also use them to look at the hummingbirds at our feeders.  They are really pretty amazing little binos and they definitely focus at 1.5'.  I would give them two thumbs up and a recommendation to purchase especially if you want to see things real up close and personal.  If your DW is a binocular user plan on purchasing a second pair because once she takes a look through them ownership will change.  Ask me how I know.  

• Jimmy462 likes this

#68 Rich V.

Rich V.

Cosmos

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:10 PM

Hi Folks,

This is what I've got...

Ricoh Imaging | Pentax Papilio II 6.5 x 21 Binoculars:

https://pentax.com.a...ts/62001#tabs-3

Ricoh Imaging | Pentax Papilio II 8.5 x 21 Binoculars:

https://pentax.com.a...ts/62002#tabs-3

...and, actually thanks for asking me to check up on that sourcing as my original posting should read, ">snip< the Mark II's have done away with this, um, Papilio (Butterfly) ability and now closest focus is at 10- and 10.4-feet 9.24-feet respectively...>snip<" based on the two Ricoh links I used for my post.

Hope that helps. smile.gif

Jimmy G

Jimmy, don't worry, the Papilio II has the same close focus as the original model.  Focus is not 10.4' or 9.24' or anything like that; it's 1.6' for the 6.5x.  Just like the original, it "features the PENTAX-developed Convergent Lens Optical System Engineering mechanism".

The .au website you link to is in error; the spec sheet shown is for an 8x30 binocular.  Take a look at the USA site:

https://us.ricoh-ima...ries/papilio-ii

Papilio II is still the close focus bino King!

Rich

• Jimmy462 likes this

#69 Jimmy462

Jimmy462

Ranger 4

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:42 PM

Jimmy, don't worry, the Papilio II has the same close focus as the original model.  Focus is not 10.4' or 9.24' or anything like that; it's 1.6' for the 6.5x.  Just like the original, it "features the PENTAX-developed Convergent Lens Optical System Engineering mechanism".

The .au website you link to is in error; the spec sheet shown is for an 8x30 binocular.  Take a look at the USA site:

Papilio II is still the close focus bino King!

Rich

Hi Rich,

Manufacturer's websites posting erroneous product information?! What's this internet thingy coming to? Apparently myself and some broken bit of the internet owe everyone an apology...we're sorry for scaring you.

;)

Jimmy G

#70 pat in los angeles basin

pat in los angeles basin

Apollo

Posted 04 August 2018 - 03:32 AM

what a hash ricoh/ au has made of the info. the papilio specs shows powers of 8 or 10 power mag- neither of which fits the papilio  varieties. looks to me like they simply cut and pasted the specs or the other members of the UP series- 8 or 10/21 or the zoomie version. Makes you wonder about the rest of the info posted on the site when you are simply looking at one member of the items they are offering info on. Is the rest of the info to be taken at face value or all they all suspect? I don't want to be a fact /spec checker for every website I try to use for info. I label it "fake news" but I think that term  has already been used to 

Try the US site

I once got into a similar situation with eagle optics that wasn't resolved to mye satisfaction (at least in the months that followed) that they had a family of porros that all had the same size/weight, yet their size went from 6.5x30 to 10x40. Yet the specs remained the same. They did get back to me and say they had verified the specs but I couldn't get the  person responding to understand that unless extraordinary circumstances were happening that they couldn't possibly be the same size /weight.

Regards, Pat

• Jimmy462 likes this

#71 Jimmy462

Jimmy462

Ranger 4

Posted 04 August 2018 - 07:06 AM

Thank you Rich, Pat and avid dk for pointing out the incorrect information I posted and the correct information on these two products. Glad to see the record getting straight! I did edit my original posts to indicate those errors.

Lesson learned: Internet readers beware! :)

Jimmy G

P.S. still rocking our 8.5x-ers and still loving them! :D

#72 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 August 2018 - 10:52 AM

I was able to compare the MK1 and MK2 version of the Papilio  6.5 side by side, the fully multicoated MK2 version gives a slightly brighter image, everything else remained the same,D.

#73 pat in los angeles basin

pat in los angeles basin

Apollo

Posted 04 August 2018 - 12:42 PM

I'm very happy with the papilio's. Even with the ability of some roof's to nearly get to the same focus distance (you still have to get cross eyed to merge the images- for me at least), there's nothing on the market I'm aware of that has the same abilities that the papilio's  exhibit. I was worried that when ricoh bought pentax optics that the papilios would be deleted in the interest of streamlining the  production. They (IMO ) are unique.    Regards, Pat

#74 Albie

Albie

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 August 2018 - 04:22 PM

They (IMO ) are unique.    Regards, Pat

and quite the bargain for what they do, imo.ubetcha.gif

#75 GrahamDFyffe

GrahamDFyffe

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Central Arizona

Posted 06 August 2018 - 12:12 PM

I recently bought the 6.5’s primarily for insect and wildflower close ups. All I can say is that they work remarkably well for that purpose - stunning close up views that none of my other (expensive) binoculars can match. A great buy.

• Rich V. likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics