•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New telescope: Bresser Messier AR-102 f/4.5

• Please log in to reply
302 replies to this topic

#301 Basileo

Basileo

Lift Off

• Loc: RUS Saint-Petersburg

Posted 09 February 2021 - 07:13 PM

Thanks

#302 oldtimer

oldtimer

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lake County Illinois

Posted 15 February 2021 - 02:52 PM

I was intrigued when the  original thread discussing the Breser AR102 F4.5 started way back in April of 2017. When a lens appeared on 'Surplus Shed's site for a 100mm F4.5 lens I ordered one. Within a week of its arrival I had constructed an OTA. I used a GSO 10 to one 2" focuser with one inch cutoff the drawtube (to aviod vignetting).  This scope has become my favorite RFT combined with a 2" 22mm 8 element eyepiece it offers excellent views with edge t edge correction. Surplus Shed no longer offers this lens but there is one for sale on the classifieds today..

Edited by oldtimer, 15 February 2021 - 02:53 PM.

• nirvanix likes this

#303 Thomas_M44

Thomas_M44

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Modesto, CA USA

Posted 15 February 2021 - 09:14 PM

Hope everything is okay now!

As seen in my signature, I went for the eyepiece (the ES68) and it was a huge lift! Then the plan is to save for something better, right now leaning towards the TS102ED f/7 doublet (the cheaper with FPL-51 glass).

Regarding the other subject I have kind of reached a conclusion to get an AZ-EQ5, which would hopefully resolve the questions I had. However, I see that you actually have that mount! So your input in that subject (or the other subject I created about AZ-EQ5 vs CEM40) would be very interesting! 

Hopefully this didn't stray too far off topic, still touched on the fact that I will save for a better refractor than the Bresser. 

IMO, that is a wise decision.

Indeed -- money best saved towards something better.

The Bresser can be fun to play with, but is a fairly compromised scope in most parameters of optical performance.

Edited by Thomas_M44, 15 February 2021 - 09:17 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics