•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New telescope: Bresser Messier AR-102 f/4.5

• Please log in to reply
297 replies to this topic

#101 rogeriomagellan

rogeriomagellan

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 May 2017 - 09:54 AM

Just saw this thread - want!

this would be perfect as an in between my 120ST and AT72ED and F/4.5 would be awesome for my Night Vision eyepieces. Wonder if Markus can get this to me? 

Not listed on APM website yet.

Yeah, not listed on APM website yet but I've already notified Mr. Ludes about that. I hope that he may soon offer that tube for sale. The only one available for sale so far on APM website is Bresser's 4" f/5.9 doublet.

#102 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

• Loc: Southern CA, USA

Posted 12 May 2017 - 10:02 AM

Just saw this thread - want!

this would be perfect as an in between my 120ST and AT72ED and F/4.5 would be awesome for my Night Vision eyepieces. Wonder if Markus can get this to me? 

Not listed on APM website yet.

Yeah, not listed on APM website yet but I've already notified Mr. Ludes about that. I hope that he may soon offer that tube for sale. The only one available for sale so far on APM website is Bresser's 4" f/5.9 doublet.

Awesome - thanks for notifying him. I've bought several scopes from him and like doing business with him. I'll keep my fingers crossed he decides to put it up on APM.

:)

#103 DHEB

DHEB

Apollo

• Loc: Sweden

Posted 26 May 2017 - 04:28 PM

I have just ordered one of these from astroshop.eu. It seemed to me like a very good option for a travel, backpack, bicycle friendly widefield g&g telescope. Will see when it comes, and when it gets dark here. I will post my impressions.

Edited by cincosauces, 26 May 2017 - 04:42 PM.

• willian and Kolchak357 like this

#104 rogeriomagellan

rogeriomagellan

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 May 2017 - 03:26 PM

I have just ordered one of these from astroshop.eu. It seemed to me like a very good option for a travel, backpack, bicycle friendly widefield g&g telescope. Will see when it comes, and when it gets dark here. I will post my impressions.

Thanks.

• DHEB likes this

#105 elpajare

elpajare

Viking 1

• Loc: Begur-Spain

Posted 06 June 2017 - 02:06 AM

I bought this telescope to photograph open clusters and stars especially. It is cheap and I thought that it could give good result seen the comments of this Forum.

My intention is not to take perfect photos but rather the EAA.

This is a photo taken yesterday without reducer or filter. Reducers and the Baader filter to correct chromatism cause new annoying aberrations in bright or orange stars mainly. I'll post an example if it interests someone.

How would you consider this result?

10 expo X 5" stacked with Mallincam software. Gain max.

Attached Thumbnails

• NGC 6811 OC CYGNUS 10X5 G50 45º M75 GIMP scaled.jpg

Edited by elpajare, 06 June 2017 - 03:35 AM.

• DHEB, willian, Kolchak357 and 1 other like this

#106 DHEB

DHEB

Apollo

Posted 06 June 2017 - 02:39 AM

I would say that those stars are OK for visual.

• elpajare likes this

#107 DHEB

DHEB

Apollo

Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:06 AM

I received this scope yesterday. I also acquired a Vixen Porta II Altaz mount on an APP-TL130 tripod for us with it. What I had in mind is a minimalistic and very portable setup, that suits itself for air and train travel, as well as bicycling and backpacking.

The telescope is indeed small (43 cm long without diagonal) and relatively light (~2.8 kg). It came well packaged. The important parts (focuser, dovetail, lens?) are of good quality, with the exception of the diagonal which obviously needs upgrading to something more serious. Other parts are visibly cheaper and less qualitative (finder scope, the finder scope plastic holder, the included 26 mm plössl eyepiece) but I do not worry about these since I will not be using a finder scope and have other, better eyepieces. The package included two extensions as well, I assume for photographic use.

Tests made during daylight using the supplied 26 mm plössl (giving 17.7 x) showed very nice images without any striking problems. The combination of scope, diagonal and EP apparently inverts horizontally but not vertically, so the system works well for terrestrial targets as birds.

I also setup up at "night" to do some tests but these results are possibly less interesting as it does not get dark in this time of the year where I live, only civil dark with the Sun reaching a minimum elevation of 8 degrees below the horizon. A street lamp about 50 m away showed a clear blue rim on one side. Not terribly annoying, but it was there. Same with Arcturus, which showed a red tint, or flare that shouldn't be there. Dimmer stars looked OK, but as said above, the sky was too bright and I could barely detect stars of mag 7, even with this scope. I could not test with Moon or Jupiter, as these were hidden behind the trees.

My first impression is that this system will work perfectly for my intended purpose. The fact that street lamps and bright stars, and surely Moon and planets, show obvious chromatic aberration is not a problem for me. As a visual observer, mostly interested in variable stars and DSO's, I believe this scope and mount will provide a good combo for me, namely airplane travel to lower latitudes or bicycle tours to darker places around my home. For all other things I can always use my 200 f/5 Newtonian.

I will write a longer review when I do some serious night testing. That will be when it actually gets dark again, namely in two months tongue2.gif

• Sarkikos, Astrojensen, willian and 1 other like this

#108 Gofr

Gofr

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 06 June 2017 - 10:31 AM

I wonder how a 495lp would work out for this scope if one did want to just try higher mag viewing with some barlows. You said you tried some baader filters to reduce chromatism, does that include the 495lp?

#109 elpajare

elpajare

Viking 1

Posted 06 June 2017 - 11:11 AM

I wonder how a 495lp would work out for this scope if one did want to just try higher mag viewing with some barlows. You said you tried some baader filters to reduce chromatism, does that include the 495lp?

This is with Baader Contrast Booster with IR-Cut

Attached Thumbnails

• NGC 6819 OC CYGNUS 10X5 G50 26º M75 +ACHRO GIMP scaled.jpg

• DHEB and rogeriomagellan like this

#110 elpajare

elpajare

Viking 1

Posted 06 June 2017 - 11:31 AM

I would say that those stars are OK for visual.

Im very interested to know how this scope performs visually.

Will wait you for 2 months!

I have a 200/600 newton too. It does a very good work with galaxies, clusters, nebulas and other DSO dimm objects.

This one is only for open clusters and single stars. Double stars better the Newton.

#111 Gofr

Gofr

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 06 June 2017 - 12:02 PM

Interesting. Lots of airy disks.

#112 elpajare

elpajare

Viking 1

Posted 06 June 2017 - 12:53 PM

And what does it means?

Is it normal?

#113 DHEB

DHEB

Apollo

Posted 06 June 2017 - 01:21 PM

@elpajare, I will gladly write more when I have the opportunity to test more. In the mean time, you will surely have plenty of opportunities to test yourself as you can enjoy darkness even in summer wink.gif 

I know nothing about electronically assisted astronomy or night vision, but as far as visual goes, the examples you showed look perfectly acceptable to me. In both examples, the aberrations are most notable around the brightest stars, whereas there is very little if anything around the dimmer stars. As you own a Newtonian, I assume you are familiar with the diffraction spikes around bright objects. In a sense this is not different, just another type of aberration. Just a perspective.

Good luck!

• elpajare likes this

#114 DHEB

DHEB

Apollo

Posted 06 June 2017 - 01:25 PM

Now that I have recalled how to attach images in this forum grin.gif, I can post one to show how small this 102 mm scope is. For comparison, the scope lies next to a normal sized computer keyboard.

Attached Thumbnails

• BR102-460_3.jpg

• Sarkikos, Simon Alderman, Tyson M and 2 others like this

#115 Kolchak357

Kolchak357

Mariner 2

• Loc: Kutztown, PA, USA

Posted 06 June 2017 - 02:05 PM

Is that a rotatable focuser?  Retractable or fixed dew shield?

#116 DHEB

DHEB

Apollo

Posted 06 June 2017 - 02:12 PM

Is that a rotatable focuser?  Retractable or fixed dew shield?

I am not sure what exactly you mean with a rotatable focuser. One that rotates? No, this is a normal one that you draw in or out with the knob.

The dew shield seems fixed, but I have not tried to move it.

• Kolchak357 likes this

#117 Maurolico

Maurolico

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 06 June 2017 - 02:34 PM

Two questions:

1) Is the scope tripod-friendly?

2) From Bresser's site pictures the dovetail seem screwded just at one end. I wonder whether the mounted scope is fully rigid, without oscillations at tube-dovetail joint...

#118 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 06 June 2017 - 02:37 PM

Those aren't airy disks, but probably reflections between the filter and the camera. 

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark

#119 DHEB

DHEB

Apollo

Posted 06 June 2017 - 02:41 PM

Two questions:

2) From Bresser's site pictures the dovetail seem screwded just at one end. I wonder whether the mounted scope is fully rigid, without oscillations at tube-dovetail joint...

1) I guess yes, the dovetail has two threaded holes of different sizes that I guess can be used to fit into a tripod

2) the mounted scope in my vixen porta II is rock solid, see below (tripod not fully extended, just at minimum height)

Attached Thumbnails

• BR102-460_1.jpg

Edited by cincosauces, 06 June 2017 - 02:42 PM.

• Starman81 likes this

#120 elpajare

elpajare

Viking 1

Posted 06 June 2017 - 02:44 PM

Two questions:

I have the scope attached to a NEQ5 without any problem.

Completely fully rigid and no oscillations

• DHEB likes this

#121 Maurolico

Maurolico

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 06 June 2017 - 02:45 PM

Thank you.

#122 elpajare

elpajare

Viking 1

Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:06 PM

Talking about Airy discs, this is the same cluster taken without filter. Only the camera at prime focus.

Any explanation or this orange star discs?

Attached Thumbnails

• NGC 6819 OC CYGNUS 10X5 G50 26º M75 GIMP scaled.jpg

#123 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 07 June 2017 - 09:41 AM

I'm skeptical.  A 4" f/4.5 ED refractor for ~$300 U.S.?

Yes, it'd be nice if they've come up with a Poor Man's Genesis for that price, but I find that hard to believe.  And wouldn't a 4" f/4.5 ED doublet have substantial spherochromatism?

Clear Skies,

Phil

Hi, Phillip. 

I don't know how to answer your question. 

The first question is rhetorical.  Don't answer it.

The answer to the second question is, "Yes."

:grin:

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 07 June 2017 - 09:42 AM.

• rogeriomagellan likes this

#124 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 07 June 2017 - 09:44 AM

I'm always interested in another potential grab-n-go scope.

Is this available through a US vendor yet?

Mike

#125 Starman81

Starman81

Soyuz

• Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 07 June 2017 - 01:19 PM

Two questions:

1) I guess yes, the dovetail has two threaded holes of different sizes that I guess can be used to fit into a tripod

2) the mounted scope in my vixen porta II is rock solid, see below (tripod not fully extended, just at minimum height)

A fast refractor with a short focuser is really good news for NV observing... And it is a really nice looking scope, I must say... If it were available in the US, there is probably no way I could NOT get one. 

• Sarkikos, Vondragonnoggin and DHEB like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics