•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mt. St. Helens Eterna-thread & NW chit-chat

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4752 replies to this topic

#1 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Metal Whisperer

• topic starter

Posted 05 March 2006 - 07:30 PM

Edit: Update!! 08-10-06
The third attempt at this gathering is scheduled for 09-23-06 at the same location as before. See info below and the new thread on this topic.

New thread here:

MSHSP-III

Edit: Update!!! 12-09-06
The 4th attempt is no slated for June 9th, 2007!!!!

MSHSP 4 Thread

See directions links below.

Ok, lets get this this puppy off the ground.

Looks like Saturday May 27TH will be a good night. I'm going to set aside a weekend soon to check out possibilities other than the parking lot at the Johnson ridge bldg. which might be ok any way.

Any others with some ideas?
I think June would be to close to the summer star partys.

Where:
As of now the location is still the Castle Lake Viewpoint. The Castle Lake Viewpoint is located at mile post 40, just west of (before) the Coldwater Ridge Visitor Center, along State Route 504. I haven't heard any bad news from the Forest Service about our staying overnight.

http://www.cleardark...ns1WAkey.html?1 (Clearskyclock)

http://www.cleardark...tHlns1WAlp.html (Light pollution map)

The Castle Lake viewpoint is midway between Elk Rock and the Coldwater Ridge Visitor Center, see map.
Vincinity map

Castle Lake Viewpoint is directly above the word "Hummocks" in this detailed map.
Detailed map

Roll Call!
Pegster (square_peg) - attending
Larry (Miniventures) - attending
Tom (TomL) - Attending
Keith (trainsktg) - attending
Michelle (NW Skies) - attending
Brent Burton - attending
Kerry (Sky Captain) - attending
Mark (MarkonHawthorne) - attending
Mike (Spaced) - attending
Karl (Attila) - attending, 90%
Rob (rwiederrich) & Family - attending
Jacat & Friend - 100%
Bill (Downward Bound) - attending

#2 Steph

Steph

Texas Wildflower

Posted 05 March 2006 - 07:46 PM

Ummm....not that I live up there, but there's a full moon that night...

Steph refers to an earlier suggestion of meeting on May 13th. The star party date, May 27th, is on the new moon.

Thanks for the heads-up, Steph! ;)

#3 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Metal Whisperer

• topic starter

Posted 05 March 2006 - 08:03 PM

Sure enough, I read my star program wrong. Thanks!
Lets make that Saturday May 27th.

#4 square_peg

square_peg

Postmaster

Posted 05 March 2006 - 09:14 PM

The Johnson Ridge parking lot has street lamps. I exchanged emails with a ranger up there last year. He recommended Elk Rock Viewpoint. Not sure how much space it has but there's no lights and an unobscured view to the E, S & W.

#5 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Metal Whisperer

• topic starter

Posted 05 March 2006 - 09:22 PM

Thanks for the input Tom. I believe we were there the few weeks before the big one happened. We stopped at most of the points of interest on our family vacation.

I will check it out and post some pictures of the area.

#6 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 05 March 2006 - 10:21 PM

Hold on...I got a lot of good info from the locals here...do we want to be NE, NW, SE or SW of the mountain? NW and SE have the most to offer...

#7 square_peg

square_peg

Postmaster

Posted 05 March 2006 - 10:55 PM

Hold on...I got a lot of good info from the locals here...do we want to be NE, NW, SE or SW of the mountain? NW and SE have the most to offer...

Well let's hear it!! :shocked:

I suppose I'm partial to the NW just because it's less travel time from Seattle/Tacoma, but if I were convinced that the SE had substantially more to offer I'd be interested. Better campsites, observing field, or darker skies?

#8 rosecityred

rosecityred

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 07 March 2006 - 02:20 AM

Volcanoes again. :ohmy: Oy vey.

Julia

#9 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

Posted 07 March 2006 - 02:17 PM

Sky,,,

StarAngel noted that there is a full moon that evening of the 27, and then you reposted that same date in a responce, as if it was a change???? :foreheadslap:

Is it, or is there another date? :question:

I hope to have my transportation issues figured out by then.
And I hope to convince family, that it would be a great Memorial day weekend thing to do. :smirk:

Rob(crossing all digits that are able to do so)

#10 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

Posted 07 March 2006 - 02:30 PM

I suppose I'm partial to the NW just because it's less travel time from Seattle/Tacoma, but if I were convinced that the SE had substantially more to offer I'd be interested. Better campsites, observing field, or darker skies?

Coming from the Belfair area, I tend to agree.
But on the other hand the SE is lava flow territory.... :smirk:

The last time I was there, there was a nice eruption, and thick lava flowed from the dome. Cool :D

Rob(In spite of impending doom, it sounds fun)

#11 Steph

Steph

Texas Wildflower

Posted 07 March 2006 - 02:46 PM

StarAngel noted that there is a full moon that evening of the 27, and then you reposted that same date in a responce, as if it was a change????

Rob, he originally posted May 13 in his first post, which is when the full moon is. He changed the first post to May 27 when I pointed out the full moon, and also posted that new date in the response. :)

So for now anyway, I think May 27 is y'all's date. Snag a few stars for this Texas gal, okay? :D

#12 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Metal Whisperer

• topic starter

Posted 07 March 2006 - 02:54 PM

Thanks Steph, you should be a moderator. :grin:

Rob, I just edited the original post after Steph pointed out my error. That would be great if you could come to Mt. St. Helens too. Lot of work though.

#13 Steph

Steph

Texas Wildflower

Posted 07 March 2006 - 03:02 PM

Hey, thanks Kerry, kind of you to say so! I *should* be a moderator! ;)

Why I keep reading this thread when I don't live in Washington or Oregon is the real question...morbid curiosity, I guess... :lol: Although I was thinking of a west coast trip in August, maybe I should come in late May instead! :D

#14 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

Posted 07 March 2006 - 05:33 PM

Rob, he originally posted May 13 in his first post, which is when the full moon is. He changed the first post to May 27 when I pointed out the full moon, and also posted that new date in the response.

So for now anyway, I think May 27 is y'all's date. Snag a few stars for this Texas gal, okay?

Considered snagged. Stars that is.. ;)

It did all seem a bit backwards to me. I didn't see the original post.

Thanks for de explanato...

Rob

#15 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 07 March 2006 - 05:38 PM

The only problem is the weather, Steph...in May and June you can't judge it too well...in July/August/Sept, the odds are definitely in your favor for a clear evening. It will most likely be cloudy/raining in May/June still.

#16 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

Posted 07 March 2006 - 05:55 PM

Rob, I just edited the original post after Steph pointed out my error. That would be great if you could come to Mt. St. Helens too. Lot of work though.

I have already passed it by the CEO, and have favorable maybe's. We'll see.

What exactly will be the, *Lot of work*?

I need to try out my trailor experiment for TMST.
We might be buying a motorhome, that has external 110 outlets. So that may come in handy. Onboard generator.

Of course, that is a, *we'll see* as well.

Rob

#17 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

Posted 07 March 2006 - 06:14 PM

I just wanted to tell you, I went to my first Association meeting last night.

I have very mixed impressions.
First, the president(speeker), was very knowledgable. His lectures were very informative.

On the other hand, I must have had a preconceived idea, about how it was going to go, or maybe, I just thought it was gonna be different.

It was a two hour meet, and they sold books during the break.

Apart from the little lady who originally greeted me, no one else spoke to me. Even after I was introduced as the *visitor*.
:confused:

I don't know, maybe folks just don't like involving themselves with new faces. A,*so what kind of scope do you have*, Or, *what objects intererst you the most*.

Well, I probably won't be going back. I prefere viewing by myself, or with a dedicated star buddy(If that ever happens).

I don't know, what do you think, am I over reacting? I just didn't feel welcome.

Rob(Rogue hunter)

#18 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 07 March 2006 - 06:28 PM

Sounds like a typical RSA meeting in Portland...If you're new it is hard to get to know people unless you put forth the effort...most of us in this hobby are more introverted than extroverted (except on forums like this! ;)).

#19 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

Posted 07 March 2006 - 07:06 PM

Sounds like a typical RSA meeting in Portland...If you're new it is hard to get to know people unless you put forth the effort...most of us in this hobby are more introverted than extroverted (except on forums like this! ).

Well, I'm a bit more charismatic then that, I guess.

I invited Sky Captain, over, without ever meeting him, so we could rub sholders. Why, cause we have very similar interests. Though I never met him, I sure new from his posts that I'd like him. I have lots to learn from him. Generally I like most folks I meet.

If you come to TMSP, or maybe to this Mt St Helens party, we can throw around stories. :D

I don't know, you're probably right about the association.
Maybe I'm the hurmit.
Been viwing so long by myself, with *Little Big Man*, maybe it is I who needs help.. :grin:

Rob(if I'm right, slap me, I'll snap out of it)

#20 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 07 March 2006 - 08:17 PM

Not that you (or I) are the hermit...just that these types of folks are not the most gregarious bunch...as individuals everyone is pretty darned nice and great to know...get them together and they kind of keep to themselves unless they know you...anyway, typical group dynamic when dealing with engineers or scientific types, with the occasional outgoing type (he normally moves into sales! :lol:)

Hope to meet you eventually, Rob!

#21 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Metal Whisperer

• topic starter

Posted 07 March 2006 - 09:12 PM

so we could rub shoulders.

Thanks Rob, I thought you weren't gonna keep quiet about that. :lol:

It seems like everyone on this site anyway is a little more friendly. Its like we know each other a little more than meeting new people.

Its true, we tend to do most of our viewing by ourselves just because it is so hard with our busy lives to get together with others on a regular basis.

Thats why its fun to try these informal gatherings! :grin:

#22 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

Posted 07 March 2006 - 09:18 PM

typical group dynamic when dealing with engineers or scientific types, with the occasional outgoing type (he normally moves into sales! )

Hope to meet you eventually, Rob!

THAT'S IT! I forgot who generally haunts these parties.

The guy's who failed outta social-nomics. :shocked:

:lol: :roflmao:

Actually, I am probably being overly sensative, since I wasn't anyones *buddy* that night. :(

Oh, well, life is grand, Momma's got dinner on the table, and the basement didn't flood.. ;) I'm happy.

Hope to get to see you some dark night,.. Oh, no,.. some time in the future... :cool:

Rob(If I I start to stick, just bump me)

#23 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

Posted 07 March 2006 - 09:24 PM

It seems like everyone on this site anyway is a little more friendly. Its like we know each other a little more than meeting new people.

Its true, we tend to do most of our viewing by ourselves just because it is so hard with our busy lives to get together with others on a regular basis.

Thats why its fun to try these informal gatherings!

Agreed. ;)

Rob(boy that was lengthy)

#24 rosecityred

rosecityred

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 07 March 2006 - 09:36 PM

Why I keep reading this thread when I don't live in Washington or Oregon is the real question...morbid curiosity, I guess... :lol: Although I was thinking of a west coast trip in August, maybe I should come in late May instead! :D

Steph!

Come on out in August and you can bunk with me. We'll go to the Oregon Star Party and celebrate my birthday in style!!

Julia

#25 square_peg

square_peg

Postmaster

Posted 07 March 2006 - 10:05 PM

Apart from the little lady who originally greeted me, no one else spoke to me. Even after I was introduced as the *visitor*.
:confused:

That's about how my first meeting at the Seattle Astronomical Society's meeting went. Kind of intimidating for the relative newbie I was then.

It was totally different when I went to our small local club, the Maple Valley Astronomical Society, http://sky.maplevall....com/index.html

Try bringing a friend to the next meeting. :)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics