•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Is this a good price

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 March 2004 - 05:11 PM

Hello,

Can somebody take a look at this and tell me if it is a good price. I'm referring to the LX10 with UHTC for 899. Not sure why it is less than the LX10 with standard coatings.

http://telescopes.ne...cassegrain.html

Also, what is the major difference between the LX10 and the LX90. Are the OTA's the same? I'm still looking for a first "good" scope.

Thanks,

Matt :)

#2 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators

Posted 24 March 2004 - 05:43 PM

Hello,

Can somebody take a look at this and tell me if it is a good price. I'm referring to the LX10 with UHTC for 899. Not sure why it is less than the LX10 with standard coatings.

http://telescopes.ne...cassegrain.html

Also, what is the major difference between the LX10 and the LX90. Are the OTA's the same? I'm still looking for a first "good" scope.

Thanks,

Matt :)

Well if its cheaper then the Meade recomended price, they are violating their contract with Meade, so I would check the fine print very carefully.

Personally I would go with the LX90 over the LX10, but I realize they cost more

#3 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators

Posted 24 March 2004 - 05:56 PM

The $899 price is a special. It's a good deal. The LX-10 has a Right Ascension drive only and the LX-90 is a full GOTO system.

#4 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 March 2004 - 07:35 PM

The price is right, it's what I paid, it was a steal. You could spend $700 - $1100 more to step up, but it's the same tube assemble whether you buy an LX10, LX90, or LX200. I don't care about go to, and I've seen pics taken with LX10's that are as good as any I've seen from LX200's, the LX10 just might need a little more guiding and and a dec motor for 80 bucks. Still way less than stepping up. Unless you care about go to get the LX10 and save your money, it also ways 20 lbs less

#5 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 March 2004 - 07:40 PM

It doesn't make much sense. That scope is 1400 on Anacortes. Is there something I'm missing? And how is the mount. Pretty sturdy. I'm 6'4" tall. Is it tall enough? I noticed it wasn't adjustable.

Thanks,

Matt

#6 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 March 2004 - 07:46 PM

mount is rock solid, not adjustable. The mount is perfect if you use a chair (for a guy over 6ft). Yes, most places sell them for about 1400. I got mine at Woodland Hills Camera, they were great, fast shipping and great packing. The LX90 is with the same coatings is $1000 more, I just don't see how it's worth it

#7 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 March 2004 - 08:03 PM

It does come with the tripod and mount doesn't it? I was considering buying a 5" Mak from Orion for about 700. This seem like a no brainer for 200 more.

Matt

#8 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 24 March 2004 - 08:27 PM

To clarify things a little - as someone above mentioned (I apolgize for not looking up who it was) Meade specifies a minimum advertised price for their gear so dealer sale prices are very uncommon. On the other hand, Meade has sponsored some amazing deals on some of their telescopes in the past. This is such a deal. It is real, and official - and a great buy. I suspect it is because they are going to discontinue the line (that's been the case with other Meade bargains) - but that doesn't make it less of a bargain. The optical tube (the most important part of the instrument) is definitely still going to remain in production.

Regarding the diagonal - it's similar to the one Celestron provides with their 8" and 11" SCT's. It's OK but a 2" will provide a firmer mounting for your eyepieces and you can get a William Optics 2" of very good quality for $130 if you want to do so. A Tele Vue 1.25" of better quality yet will run maybe $150 and require a 2" visual back for another $40 or so. For 1.25" eyepieces I'd keep the stock diagonal until you have all the other accessories you'll want to buy.

#9 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 March 2004 - 09:16 PM

thats good advice, thanks!

#10 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 March 2004 - 09:38 PM

John,

The LX10 only has a RA motor. I'm assuming it won't track in this mode. Would I have to buy a wedge and a declination motor to track?

Also, I'm a little fuzzy on eyepieces for SCT's. I keep seeing words like visual back and I'm not sure what that means. I'm assuming the diagonal that comes with it accepts only 1.25" eyepieces. If I were to buy the Williams optics 2" diagonal, i would basically remove the meade diagonal and replace it with the williams, right? And the williams has a 1.25" adapter, right? I didn't understand the Televue diagonal that requires a visual back.

Thanks,

Matt

#11 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 24 March 2004 - 10:00 PM

John,

The LX10 only has a RA motor. I'm assuming it won't track in this mode. Would I have to buy a wedge and a declination motor to track?

Hi, Matt.

The LX10 comes with a wedge - this makes it able to track with only the RA motor (depending on a reasonably good polar alignment). The DEC motor is a nice frill to have at high magnifications but is by no means a necessity.

RE: eyepieces and eyepiece holders.

SCT's have a threaded fitting on the back commonly referred to as an SCT thread. A visual back is an eyepiece holder that screws onto the SCT thread and accepts an eyepiece or refractor-style (fits into an eyepiece holder) diagonal; both 1.25" and 2" visual backs exist.

I THINK the LX10 comes with a 1.25" visual back and a 1.25" diagonal that fits into it (or any other 1.25" eyepiece holder). My recollection is that all the 8" to 11" SCT's I've owned have been so equipped; I don't think I have ever seen a 1.25" SCT-thread diagonal. I've owned some 12" and 14" SCT's which were instead supplied with "SCT-style" 2" diagonals. These mount directly to the SCT thread on the telescope and accept 2" eyepieces. Here's where it gets confusing: late model Meade LX200GPS telescopes are equipped with an electrically operated focuser which attaches to the SCT threads but accepts 2" eyepieces. This setup doesn't require a visual back or SCT-style diagonal, as the focuser itself performs the conversion from SCT thread to EP holder.

William Optics (and the other manufacturers of 2" diagonals) makes both refractor-style and SCT-style diagonals. On your LX10, you would remove the visual back and present diagonal and directly install an SCT-style 2", which would come with a 1.25" adaptor to use with your existing EP's. You could, instead, install a 2" visual back plus a 2" refractor-style diagonal but that's extra hardware and expense.

#12 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

Posted 24 March 2004 - 10:51 PM

Wow! Good deal. I want one and I don't even need it. I hate myself for that.

#13 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 24 March 2004 - 11:02 PM

Wow! Good deal. I want one and I don't even need it. I hate myself for that.

Yes, Meade makes some pretty good deals sometimes. That thing's nearly as portable as an 8" Dob - in fact, it'll fit into some cars where the Dob won't. Similar aperture, EXCELLENT optics, and tracking.

#14 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 March 2004 - 11:28 PM

Has anybody had any problems with the Meade LX units? They are offering a 3 year extended warranty for 99. Not sure if that's a good deal.

Matt

#15 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 March 2004 - 04:40 AM

Matt,

I have an 8" LX200 Classic but it's mounted on an LX10 fork mount with the optional Dec motor and it tracks really well. The man I bought it off used it solely for astrophotography and, having seen his photos I can say it tracks well enough for some good mid-exposure shots. It doesn't have GOTO but the setting circles, slo-mo controls and hand controller are very easy to use.

Jason

#16 rob cos.

rob cos.

Viking 1

Posted 25 March 2004 - 10:27 AM

Hmmm, so here's a question then.....I was about to purchase an Intes MN56....which is a great scope....but would I be smart to jump at the 8" LX10 deal???

Or, if I stuck with the MN56, would the optics be comparable-keeping in mind the lack of aperture for the 56?

The MN56 would be on an alt-az mount and would seem to be more portable at first glance?

Sorry, I guess i'm asking three questions there. :foreheadslap:

#17 Stelios

Stelios

Cosmos

• Moderators

Posted 25 March 2004 - 01:25 PM

Hmmm, so here's a question then.....I was about to purchase an Intes MN56....which is a great scope....but would I be smart to jump at the 8" LX10 deal???
Or, if I stuck with the MN56, would the optics be comparable-keeping in mind the lack of aperture for the 56?
The MN56 would be on an alt-az mount and would seem to be more portable at first glance?
Sorry, I guess i'm asking three questions there. :foreheadslap:

An 8" SCT is quite portable. This is like a throwback to the old C-8 days, I guess.

As for your question, I'll ask you one back. If you had a choice between a 4000 sft house and an 1800 sft house for the same price, but the smaller house had a better coat of paint, would you consider it a real problem in choosing?

Nor is this. Take your bargains when you can. Get the 8". You have more than 2 1/2 times the light gathering power, and a significant increase in resolution. This is NOT A CLOSE DECISION.

#18 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 March 2004 - 04:33 PM

Get that LX10 ordered! There gonna run out any second! They are the only place left that have them for that money! Move!

#19 rob cos.

rob cos.

Viking 1

Posted 25 March 2004 - 10:08 PM

I believe i'm calling tomorrow! Thanks for answering!

#20 rob cos.

rob cos.

Viking 1

Posted 26 March 2004 - 10:05 AM

hmmm, i do love wide field views though....i'm considering the Schmidt-Newt....but this one looks hard to beat just the same...arrghh....

#21 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 March 2004 - 02:21 PM

Stop talking. Start buying. :)

#22 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 March 2004 - 02:24 PM

also, don't forget this deal

http://www.astronomi...sku=NX8GPSX&op=

With XLT and $50 dollars shipping - I got one.

#23 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 26 March 2004 - 09:48 PM

Yup, grab an 8" SCT with as many goodies as you can absorb...while they aren't perfect, you'll find an SCT far more versatile than a SN or MN.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics