•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Inexpensive alternative to Fastar ?

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#26 OleCuss

OleCuss

Vanguard

Posted 14 April 2017 - 09:46 AM

I probably won't be getting one but I don't see that folk should have a problem with the way this is marketed.

It is clearly intended to be an inexpensive way to get really fast images using the rather popular SCTs.  There are clear disclaimers that it will have significant aberrations if used with a larger sensor and that it won't be aberration-free even with the smaller sensors.

Oh, and if your SCT is held by forks, moving your camera to the front of the OTA means that you aren't going to be whacking your camera on the mount when you aim near the zenith - that could be a very big plus for some!

For use with something like an IMX224 camera this could make someone very happy for a decent price.

#27 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 14 April 2017 - 09:54 AM

Mark, why are you explaining all this to me?

I really don't care because I don't own an SCT. All I was doing was answering someone elses comment that the site doesn't say 'Fastar compatible', But it does. So I showed him where it does. That's all I was doing. But thanks for the megalength lecture lol.gif

Ken,

Sorry about that but I seemed to have had an issue with some cutting and pasting .... there was some missing spacing (and a sentence that I can't remember right now). Only the first two sentences were in response to you (and indirectly Ron) since the whole issue of Fastar labeling isn't clear.

I'll be sure given your sensitivity that any further comments directed at you are kept to one or two words.

#28 Dragon Man

Dragon Man

Gemini

• Loc: Snake Valley, Australia

Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:53 AM

Mark, why are you explaining all this to me?

I really don't care because I don't own an SCT. All I was doing was answering someone elses comment that the site doesn't say 'Fastar compatible', But it does. So I showed him where it does. That's all I was doing. But thanks for the megalength lecture lol.gif

Ken,

Sorry about that but I seemed to have had an issue with some cutting and pasting .... there was some missing spacing (and a sentence that I can't remember right now). Only the first two sentences were in response to you (and indirectly Ron) since the whole issue of Fastar labeling isn't clear.

I'll be sure given your sensitivity that any further comments directed at you are kept to one or two words.

Yep, I'm very sensitive  lol.gif

I cried watching Bambi  frown.gif

. . . because the poor hunter ran out of Ammo  grin.gif

• will w, OleCuss, budman1961 and 1 other like this

#29 NMBob

NMBob

Surveyor 1

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:40 AM

Some of the Celestron Fastar capable scopes do not say Fastar on the front.  They have a black ring that unscrews as shown in the below photos.  All the current 5" and 6" SCT's we see are like this.   Hope that helps!

Mike

Well I'll be darned! :) I don't know if the serial numbers really mean older/newer, but my S6 is S44946 and it does this. I noticed that the secondary looked funny and "overbuilt", but I didn't even think to try and unscrew that ring before.

Thanks!

Bob

#30 tjay

tjay

Vanguard

• Loc: just outside of Toronto

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:52 AM

I wonder if it would be possible to come up with corrector that would fit one of these to allow for sensors that are bit bigger.
  • NMBob likes this

#31 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

• Loc: OC, CA, USA

Posted 14 April 2017 - 01:30 PM

I wonder if it would be possible to come up with corrector that would fit one of these to allow for sensors that are bit bigger.

I'm in the same boat as Ken, I'm 100% Newt. already, that said for the larger one with 2" threads maybe a ~1.5x 2" Barlow for ~f/3 can be tested.

#32 NMBob

NMBob

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 April 2017 - 01:47 PM

You really shouldn't have shown me this. The visual back screws on to the secondary mount on my C6. I just need to get a large washer or o-ring of some kind. The threads on the back of the telescope are longer than the secondary threads, so you can't tighten it up all the way. I'll call this the The Freestar System. smile.gif

I'm trying this tonight. Wait...why is my living room getting darker?

Attached Thumbnails

• freestar.jpg

#33 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• In Memoriam
  • Loc: London UK

Posted 14 April 2017 - 02:11 PM

After all the chat perhaps a sample image via the Funstar that's not a phone grab :)

Nytecam

#34 NMBob

NMBob

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 April 2017 - 12:55 AM

Mission scrubbed on account of dinner with the guys. Will try again tomorrow. Tonight would have been perfect. It's very nice out there.

Did find a nylon washer at Ace Hardware in one of the 100's of drawers of nuts and bolts and washers and knobs and etc. The one on the right fit right out of the drawer, but the hole was just exactly the size of the hole in the visual back (1-1/4"). Found the one on the left in the same drawer. It was a little too large (2"), so I whittled it down to 1-15/16" with some 320 grit sand paper, and when my patience wore out some 220 grit. Came out just right. It can't get in the way of the light. It was just the right thickness too (1/16").

Attached Thumbnails

• fits.jpg

• ccs_hello likes this

#35 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 15 April 2017 - 07:55 AM

Well I'll be darned! smile.gif I don't know if the serial numbers really mean older/newer, but my S6 is S44946 and it does this. I noticed that the secondary looked funny and "overbuilt", but I didn't even think to try and unscrew that ring before. Thanks! Bob

Bob, That's probably the most common comment when folks take a close look at their C6 secondaries.

I think all C6s (production started in the early to mid 2000s) fall into the "newer" scope category ... well except for the very rare and ancient white/blue C6s from the 1960s.

• NMBob likes this

#36 jimthompson

jimthompson

Apollo

• Loc: Ottawa, Canada

Posted 16 April 2017 - 11:11 AM

Maybe I missed the answer to my last question, but I'll ask it again anyway:  Why is there no Fastar/Hyperstar for Meade brand scopes?

Thanks,

Jim T.

• Ptarmigan and Kaikul like this

#37 NMBob

NMBob

Surveyor 1

Posted 16 April 2017 - 11:31 AM

Well, the short answer is that it does work! The short fact is that I'm lousy at this. I had tracking problems all evening. It's a new mount and this was its first outing. I suspect operator error. This LX70 has about 400% more buttons and knobs than my GM-8.

Sorry for there just being shots of the R2 screen with a camera. I still haven't figured out that R2. All I can get are blobs on things like Jupiter and M42. The tracking problem didn't help -- even if I had it stacking it didn't go well.

But anyway, with the R2 the distortions were not horrible since it was such a small field. I switched over to my ASI174 and things intrinsically looked better, but you can see what happens without the corrective lenses. In that last shot of what I thought was Jupiter -- now I'm not so sure -- you can see the parts of a large ring in the upper and lower right-hand corners. Not sure what that is, but it did show up every so often.

I'm intrigued. I'll probably get one of the adapters for my C8 and play with this some more. I got an Edge so I could get a Hyperstar some day, but the mortgage company is dragging their feet.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2017-04-16__02-10-43__IMG_0359.JPG
  • 2017-04-16__02-07-52__IMG_0356.JPG
  • 2017-04-16__02-47-36__IMG_0361.JPG
  • Untitled2.jpg
  • Untitled3.jpg

• CharlesC, alphatripleplus, OC Telescope and 1 other like this

#38 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

Posted 16 April 2017 - 12:00 PM

Maybe I missed the answer to my last question, but I'll ask it again anyway: Why is there no Fastar/Hyperstar for Meade brand scopes?

Thanks,

Jim T.

No idea Jim, maybe someone in the Cat forum will know if you don't get an answer here.

#39 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 16 April 2017 - 12:14 PM

re: maybe acceptable depending on expectations

I think "as good", "good enough", "I just want to see it no matter what", "I save big bucks by (fill in the word)" are the motto of EAA folks.

I too am also interested in seeing the resulted images especially star field across FoV on a type-1/3" imager.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello.

#40 Don Rudny

Don Rudny

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mauna Kea, Hawaii

Posted 16 April 2017 - 01:36 PM

Thanks to Bob's Freestar idea, I was able to adapt my Baader click lock holder to my C6 secondary with my Scopestuff SCT to T thread adapter.  Didn't need any washers.  I also have a C6 Hyperstar unit, so if the skies are clear tonight, I will do a direct comparison test with my Lodestar and Ultrastar cams.  I'll try to get some nice star fields to show aberrations. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• CharlesC, alphatripleplus and NMBob like this

#41 Don Rudny

Don Rudny

Surveyor 1

Posted 16 April 2017 - 01:42 PM

Maybe I missed the answer to my last question, but I'll ask it again anyway:  Why is there no Fastar/Hyperstar for Meade brand scopes?

Thanks,

Jim T.

Jim,

I think Starizona had some Meade applications in the past, but no longer make them.  But, I did find this:

https://www.optcorp....ra-adapter.html

#42 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: New Jersey

Posted 16 April 2017 - 02:38 PM

Thanks to Bob's Freestar idea, I was able to adapt my Baader click lock holder to my C6 secondary with my Scopestuff SCT to T thread adapter.  Didn't need any washers.  I also have a C6 Hyperstar unit, so if the skies are clear tonight, I will do a direct comparison test with my Lodestar and Ultrastar cams.  I'll try to get some nice star fields to show aberrations. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Don,

Maybe something like the Rosette Nebula (if you can catch it early) would be a good candidate as it would easily fill the field at f/2 with a C6 and Lodestar and it is pretty star rich across the field (My icon is a pic of the Rosette @  200mm fl with a LX2, so I think the Rosette would fill the field @ 300mm fl with a LX2). I will be really fascinated by your tests with a LX2. If you want a H-alpha candidate, IC443 and IC405 are a bit smaller than the Rosette and might be interesting to see at f/2.

I think that if even 50% of a 1/2inch sensor or 70% of a 1/3inch sensor is relatively aberration free, this could be a great low-cost f/2 system particularly if you don't mind zooming in /cropping out the edges of the field.

Look forward to seeing your results.

Edited by alphatripleplus, 16 April 2017 - 02:47 PM.

#43 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

Posted 16 April 2017 - 03:05 PM

I would think that at f/2 the hyperstar with the icx825 sensor would be better to use simply because of its slightly smaller pixels it'll handle zoom/crop better. At f/2 your fast enough that the extra sensitivity of the larger pixels isn't as big of an advantage. Note the 825 sensor is larger format size, so it'll potentially see more of the edge effects.

#44 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 16 April 2017 - 03:51 PM

Don,

I'd suggest pick a rich star field (not a lot of nebula) and not to crank up gain too high.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#45 Don Rudny

Don Rudny

Surveyor 1

Posted 16 April 2017 - 04:36 PM

I did plan on doing the Rosette, and I could do a rich starfield as well.  I'll start with the Lodestar and then the Ultrastar.  Right now the skies are perfectly clear, but as we all know that can change quickly.

#46 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

Posted 16 April 2017 - 08:59 PM

I did plan on doing the Rosette, and I could do a rich starfield as well.  I'll start with the Lodestar and then the Ultrastar.  Right now the skies are perfectly clear, but as we all know that can change quickly.

will you broadcast?

#47 Don Rudny

Don Rudny

Surveyor 1

Posted 16 April 2017 - 09:01 PM

will you broadcast?

No broadcast, but I will post the results.  Still looks clear, but my wife says I'm smoking hopium.

• NMBob likes this

#48 Don Rudny

Don Rudny

Surveyor 1

Posted 17 April 2017 - 12:26 PM

I tried to set up the C6 with the Lodestar and Freestar.  Got aligned and went to the Rosette Nebula.  Just then, clouds moved in and after a while it started to rain.  Gave up at 11:00pm.  It was still raining.  The first image I saw was not very promising.  Have the broadcast from Mauna Kea tonight, so I'll try again later this week.

• CharlesC and NMBob like this

#49 skywolf856

skywolf856

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 17 April 2017 - 10:12 PM

Thanks,

Jim T.

Jim, check this article from Celestron, it explains it.

http://www.celestron...ow-do-they-work

#50 Kaikul

Kaikul

Surveyor 1

Posted 17 April 2017 - 11:27 PM

Thanks,

Jim T.

I was on the road riding shotgun when I decided to dig into this question. As a Meade SCT owner such as yourself, I'm a little ticked that our brand doesn't seem to be getting any love from Starizona. Turns out that it's not the case. There were only few Meade SCT models made that would work with a Hyperstar. Unlike Celestron who kept this compatibility requirement, Meade went the other way. Oh, if we can only remove the secondary mirror of our OTA the way a Celestron can be, I'm sure someone could find a way to manufacture Funstars for Meade. +1 to Celestron waytogo.gif . -1 to Meade mad.gif.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics