•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A couple more (simple) NV questions

NV
This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 Antares89

Antares89

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 April 2017 - 06:49 PM

I am in the market for a mod3 monocular and I'm trying to get my head around everything before ordering one. I have a couple of additional questions.

1) If a NV device has an autogated tube AND a manual gain control, will the autogating take priority and override whatever gain level the unit is set to and protect the unit if the unit is exposed to an artificial light source like a streetlight, headlights, etc?

2) Do filmless tubes (i.e. L3 filmless WP) have a shorter life expectancy than a thin filmed tube like a pinnacle? I thought I read that the purpose of the film material is to protect the photocathode from the extra positive ions that get created at the micro channel plate. A filmless tube would obviously not have this protection.

Thanks

#2 Starman81

Starman81

Soyuz

Posted 13 April 2017 - 06:55 PM

1) Yes you can see the autogating take place when you point the Mod 3 at bright lights and turn up the gain, it brings it back down quickly.

2) From what I know they both are rated for 10,000 hours, which is ~10 hrs/week for about 20 years... So I wouldn't worry too much about it. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics