•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Questars on Ebay

• Please log in to reply
817 replies to this topic

#51 Panotaker

Panotaker

Viking 1

• Loc: Austin, Texas

Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:15 PM

Yup, that's a $500 scope in my book. $1000 tops, but I would pass on it, and just wait on one that doesn't need anything. They come up all the time. If it was cheap to fix, the seller would have fixed it. It's a shame too because the rest of the scope looks to be in excellent condition, especially the leather case.

• Optics Patent likes this

#52 sgorton99

sgorton99

Skylab

• Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 15 May 2017 - 05:36 PM

$1800 Questar Broadband with rejected coatings has some new photos of the optics.  Doesn't look good.

Curious to me why the starting price is so high with optics like that...

He did get back to me about the price, and said would probably just keep it if it doesn't sell for $1800. Indicates it provides great viewing and that is what it is worth to him ($1800). I bought mine with excellent optics for $1650 shipped, but it is missing some of the original accessories.

Edited by sgorton99, 15 May 2017 - 07:30 PM.

#53 ehallspqr

ehallspqr

Messenger

• Loc: Port Townsend, WA. USA

Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:25 AM

Wow the optics look bad in the photos. Like obviously bad. At $1000, 1200 you could make a go of it replacing the optics set. You just never really know what your getting with a used Questar. I see why people buy new. The older purple ones sure are purdy though.

• JHollJr likes this

#54 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Dallas TX

Posted 24 May 2017 - 06:41 AM

Pawn Shop Questar Duplex on Ebay for $3200 buy-it-now.

Pros:

• Nice condition
  • Nice leather case
  • Extras add value (AM quick sale $1000+ value if broken up to leave only standard package):
    • Vinyl outer case sleeve $100
    • Porro prism $250
    • Two apparent Barlows $200
    • Counterweight $100
    • Camera coupling $100
    • D&S tripod by Questar $250
    • Nikon FM2 body $200

Cons

• Foolishly not revealing serial number (Probably 1964-71 range)
  • Old eyepieces and holder need replacing by Brandons (-$350)
  • Photos are clear, but show tube rotated, finder filter askew, and optics reflecting dark red surface making it hard to tell if coatings are yellowed.

Sell off all the listed accessories for $1000 (maybe more), straighten it up, and this scope sells quickly for $1800.  That means a smart buyer could offer $2800 and do well if the seller was reasonable.

#55 BR__

BR__

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Cincinnati, OH

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:35 PM

Here's one that just popped up on eBay. At first, I thought maybe Ben was trying out his theories about marketing a Questar on bay...but no.  

Looks like an older telescope, and a bit dirty with a few blemishes on control box. Looks complete, no?  

$9.99 opening bid. I'll be watching.  

EDIT: just noticed, no pic of optics

Edited by BR__, 25 May 2017 - 08:38 PM.

#56 Absorber

Absorber

Explorer 1

• Loc: Iowa

Posted 25 May 2017 - 09:17 PM

Looks fairly clean, but possibly missing the power chord. At least it's not in the picture. Also the base leg plugs are missing. 

#57 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 May 2017 - 08:51 AM

Early Standard Questar on Ebay.

Pros:

• Nice early vintage (~pre-'63) with Star logo badges intact
  • Nice English leather case
  • A genuine no-reserve auction to show the true market value
  • "Wonderful condition" means any optics or mechanics problem is on the seller and buyer is protected.
  • Yellow factory receipt might reflect recent service, (or not).
  • Excellent Ebay seller feedback.

Cons:

• Photos are small; No photo of optics
  • Vintage means inferior optical design before the major 1964 update
  • Missing leg hole plugs
  • Missing power cord (cheap to replace)
  • Faded barrel skin (moon map)?
  • The language of the ad is a little "slippery".  Too pushy, and doesn't create trust.  To call a 55-year-old leather case "mint" is absurd.  The "story" about how the seller "planned to use it" is not believable from a commercial antique shop.

It's hard to predict the price.  A good standard without obvious problems should fetch $2000, although I'd bracket the low end at about $1500.  Upper end could approach $3000 if two collectors want a good early model, but there is a nice one posted here on CN classifieds from a good seller for $2350 (that sold earlier on Ebay for ~$1800).

#58 JHollJr

JHollJr

Vanguard

• Loc: Northern Virginia

Posted 26 May 2017 - 09:00 AM

I guess spelling in marketing doesn't count.

#59 Rpsqueezer

Rpsqueezer

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 26 May 2017 - 09:02 AM

Well, the latest Questar to hit EvilBay is a very unique model: the movie cinema version. It appears to have some corrosion on the control box, and there are no good optics photos. It looks from the listing as if it is being offered by a family member of David Quaid who apparently worked with Questar to design this model. The starting price may be OK but since this is such a specialized model, there may not be much demand except from a collector. Ben, you up for this one?

Ross Schlabach

#60 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 May 2017 - 12:21 PM

Questar 700 on Ebay with a $699 asking opening bid (relisted after failing to get any bids at the same price).

Pros:

• Appears nice optics
  • Unusually good cosmetic condition.  The fragile paint on these heavy lenses is typically scratched up.

Cons:

• No case
  • Pre-10700 serial number means no broadband coatings.
  • Description makes no promises about optical or mechanical functionality, stating only "Very clean."

These have been selling for about this price, but making this the starting bid is off-putting.  I'd tell the seller to make it a buy-it-now at that price, or start the bidding at $0.99 and generate some enthusiasm.

Questar 700 relisted for $10 less.

#61 sgorton99

sgorton99

Skylab

Posted 27 May 2017 - 06:12 AM

Early Standard Questar on Ebay.

Pros:

• Nice early vintage (~pre-'63) with Star logo badges intact
  • Nice English leather case
  • A genuine no-reserve auction to show the true market value
  • "Wonderful condition" means any optics or mechanics problem is on the seller and buyer is protected.
  • Yellow factory receipt might reflect recent service, (or not).
  • Excellent Ebay seller feedback.

Cons:

• Photos are small; No photo of optics
  • Vintage means inferior optical design before the major 1964 update
  • Missing leg hole plugs
  • Missing power cord (cheap to replace)
  • Faded barrel skin (moon map)?
  • The language of the ad is a little "slippery".  Too pushy, and doesn't create trust.  To call a 55-year-old leather case "mint" is absurd.  The "story" about how the seller "planned to use it" is not believable from a commercial antique shop.

It's hard to predict the price.  A good standard without obvious problems should fetch $2000, although I'd bracket the low end at about $1500.  Upper end could approach $3000 if two collectors want a good early model, but there is a nice one posted here on CN classifieds from a good seller for $2350 (that sold earlier on Ebay for ~$1800).

At least he finally provided the serial number the 3rd time someone asked. Also curious of all the pictures posted, not one of the mirror which is probably the most important. He just states that he is at the limit of 12 picks. You could end up with a Q with badly trashed optics, especially since this was located in a coastal state.

Edited by sgorton99, 27 May 2017 - 06:12 AM.

#62 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 May 2017 - 06:24 AM

At least he finally provided the serial number the 3rd time someone asked. Also curious of all the pictures posted, not one of the mirror which is probably the most important. He just states that he is at the limit of 12 picks. You could end up with a Q with badly trashed optics, especially since this was located in a coastal state.

One response I got was "I'm 85 years old."  I get a blend of confused and stubborn.  Refusal to state what the service was from the yellow receipt is not inspiring.

Edited by Optics Patent, 27 May 2017 - 07:07 AM.

• sgorton99 likes this

#63 Rpsqueezer

Rpsqueezer

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 27 May 2017 - 09:48 AM

In one of his responses, the seller said that the yellow receipt had referenced a Part number 3-915. That part number is for an owners manual and there is a later issue owners manual with the telescope, so I think that is all the yellow receipt was about.

Ross Schlabach

• Optics Patent likes this

#64 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 May 2017 - 10:44 AM

Thanks Ross!  There should be a part number code reference guide here that goes beyond the price list part numbers!

#65 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 May 2017 - 05:34 AM

Questar 7 on Ebay in Santa Clara, CA.

This was a $3000 buy-it-now yesterday until someone bid.  Limited pictures.  Folding Pier with latitude wedge shows corrosion but still valuable ($1000+ value depending how it cleans up).  No info on cases or accessories.  Dusty, but looks unfaded, and the glimpse of the optics shows no concern though ample doubt remains.

Imagine being local and finding this as a buy-it-now!

• sgorton99 likes this

#66 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 May 2017 - 06:14 AM

1994 Standard Questar on Ebay starting at $1500.

Pros:

• Nice cosmetic condition, shiny blue dew shield.
  • Good photos of exterior
  • AC cord never unwrapped
  • Ebay buyer protection ensures "fully operational and functions as intended."

Cons:

• The geniuses deliberately broke the lock because they forgot the combo (could have hired a locksmith or done it themselves).  In 17 minutes you can test 1000 combos at 1 per second.
  • No photos of optics
  • Missing leg hole plug (cheap to replace)
  • Improperly stored on back, not vertically.
  • This era has ugly brushed forks (which make an ambitious polishing restoration project).

I presume this is a vinyl case because of the all-fabric interior and molded handle on horizontal pivots.  Amy I mistaken about these signs when it's hard to tell vinyl from leather in photos?  I do understand that the ones with the big quilted "#" pattern on the front face are all vinyl.

#67 sgorton99

sgorton99

Skylab

Posted 29 May 2017 - 06:22 AM

This was a $3000 buy-it-now yesterday until someone bid.  Limited pictures.  Folding Pier with latitude wedge shows corrosion but still valuable ($1000+ value depending how it cleans up).  No info on cases or accessories.  Dusty, but looks unfaded, and the glimpse of the optics shows no concern though ample doubt remains.

I saw this on my phone last night when I was out. Was pretty sure it was a 7 from the pics, but with a pick-up-only knew it wasn't to be!

#68 Panotaker

Panotaker

Viking 1

• Loc: Austin, Texas

Posted 29 May 2017 - 06:39 AM

1994 Standard Questar on Ebay starting at $1500.

Pros:

• Nice cosmetic condition, shiny blue dew shield.
  • Good photos of exterior
  • AC cord never unwrapped
  • Ebay buyer protection ensures "fully operational and functions as intended."

Cons:

• The geniuses deliberately broke the lock because they forgot the combo (could have hired a locksmith or done it themselves).  In 17 minutes you can test 1000 combos at 1 per second.
  • No photos of optics
  • Missing leg hole plug (cheap to replace)
  • Improperly stored on back, not vertically.
  • This era has ugly brushed forks (which make an ambitious polishing restoration project).

I presume this is a vinyl case because of the all-fabric interior and molded handle on horizontal pivots.  Amy I mistaken about these signs when it's hard to tell vinyl from leather in photos?  I do understand that the ones with the big quilted "#" pattern on the front face are all vinyl.

I bought a new vinyl case from Questar a few years ago. Mine doesn't have a combination lock on it, it just has flip up latches. It does have the same blue velvet interior, so I think that is the vinyl case. If I had to do it over again, I would save up a little longer and get the leather case. The vinyl case doesn't look as classy as the leather case. 

#69 Rpsqueezer

Rpsqueezer

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 May 2017 - 07:35 AM

For those that didn't catch it, the 1994 Questar 3.5 is serial number #10508. It is a shame that the owners destroyed the latch. Even a vinyl case isn't cheap and the one in the auction is now garbage.

Ross Schlabach

#70 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 30 May 2017 - 11:29 PM

This was a $3000 buy-it-now yesterday until someone bid. Limited pictures. Folding Pier with latitude wedge shows corrosion but still valuable ($1000+ value depending how it cleans up). No info on cases or accessories. Dusty, but looks unfaded, and the glimpse of the optics shows no concern though ample doubt remains.

I saw this on my phone last night when I was out. Was pretty sure it was a 7 from the pics, but with a pick-up-only knew it wasn't to be!

Auction ended early.

#71 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 June 2017 - 12:56 PM

$1500 Buy-It Now Questar Standard 1966

Pros:

• A rare realistic Buy it Now price.  Act fast if you think it's right.
  • Looks like good cosmetic condition on barrel and case
  • Good clear photos of cosmetics (nice sunset reflections).
  • "In nice shape" is adequate to invoke Buyer Protection if the optics are bad.

Cons:

• Dead bug and dirt inside barrel.  Other neglect?
  • Inconclusive photos of optics.  Suspicious.
  • Finder mirror bracket is corroded, and finder mirror needs replacing or replating.  Is control box stripped?  Who removed the finder bracket?
  • Dew shield dented in Ursa Major.
  • Aluminum surfaces oxidized badly.  Needs major refinishing if not deeply pitted.  In Santa Fe now, but smells like it spent years at the seaside given the rampant oxidation.

I'm comfortable with a good detail strip and re-polishing, and have re-sanded the finder bracket (notorious for rusting - resanding is a common factory service).  Replating the finder mirror is $25.  But given the bugs in the optics, and sense of neglect (at best, I'm not sure I'd jump even if it were $1000.

#72 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 June 2017 - 02:08 PM

Well, the latest Questar to hit EvilBay is a very unique model: the movie cinema version. It appears to have some corrosion on the control box, and there are no good optics photos. It looks from the listing as if it is being offered by a family member of David Quaid who apparently worked with Questar to design this model. The starting price may be OK but since this is such a specialized model, there may not be much demand except from a collector. Ben, you up for this one?

I got it, and think I got an excellent deal considering the history.  I plan to acquire a period Arriflex movie camera with large magazine, just like on the cover of the Questar catalog all those years, and it will be a highlight of my display.  I had some very nice correspondence with the seller, and she is including some magazine articles about her father and his design of the system.  I will also ask her for a signed authentication letter.

The focus recording plate is absent (some were displayed by Questar without them) but I may see if I can fabricate one.

#73 Billydee

Billydee

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Winter Haven, FL

Posted 01 June 2017 - 10:02 PM

Ben,

Good buy, I think the camera/Q mounting plate is probably worth what you paid for the whole deal.

Bill

#74 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 June 2017 - 10:43 PM

Ben,

Good buy, I think the camera/Q mounting plate is probably worth what you paid for the whole deal.

Bill

I agree. The scope is icing on the cake. And those Barlow and other optics add value as do the range of f reducer rings. But I think the key element is the little sticker with the designers name.

#75 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 June 2017 - 10:56 PM

$1500 Buy-It Now Questar Standard 1966

Pros:

• A rare realistic Buy it Now price. Act fast if you think it's right.
  • Looks like good cosmetic condition on barrel and case
  • Good clear photos of cosmetics (nice sunset reflections).
  • "In nice shape" is adequate to invoke Buyer Protection if the optics are bad.
Cons:
  • Dead bug and dirt inside barrel. Other neglect?
  • Inconclusive photos of optics. Suspicious.
  • Finder mirror bracket is corroded, and finder mirror needs replacing or replating. Is control box stripped? Who removed the finder bracket?
  • Dew shield dented in Ursa Major.
  • Aluminum surfaces oxidized badly. Needs major refinishing if not deeply pitted. In Santa Fe now, but smells like it spent years at the seaside given the rampant oxidation.
I'm comfortable with a good detail strip and re-polishing, and have re-sanded the finder bracket (notorious for rusting - resanding is a common factory service). Replating the finder mirror is $25. But given the bugs in the optics, and sense of neglect (at best, I'm not sure I'd jump even if it were $1000.
I received photos of the optics from the seller any while the main mirror might be fine the secondary spot is failed and actually missing plating making it transparent in spots. The seller is an agent selling for someone else and I gently advised that any buyer will return the scope. I told them to repost as an auction with the optics photos and a clear warning and they might get a bid of $500 from me or a couple hundred more from others.

I suppose if the secondary is reflecting 90% then applying a central disc would provide an adequate baffle.

I'd get this scope for my planned cutaway project.

Edited by Optics Patent, 01 June 2017 - 10:59 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics