•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Questars on Ebay

• Please log in to reply
817 replies to this topic

#776 Alan Cohen

Alan Cohen

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey

Posted 15 September 2019 - 08:09 PM

Just picked up F-1572-CV-BB off eBay. Needs a little clean up. I work about 3 miles from Questar so I can bring it by and have Jim check it out. Might convert it to Duplex, might leave it alone depending on what it needs. 

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600-1.jpg

s-l1600-3.jpg

s-l1600-2.jpg

• cbwerner and rcwolpert like this

#777 Toddeo

Toddeo

Viking 1

• Loc: Sierra Vista, AZ

Posted 15 September 2019 - 09:29 PM

Nice score, I was the other bidderbow.gif

#778 Alan Cohen

Alan Cohen

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 September 2019 - 07:49 AM

Nice score, I was the other bidderbow.gif

We'll see when I receive it. Hopefully the optics are serviceable. It looks fairly neglected. I'm concerned about the cervit mirror. 

This is my first attempt at getting back into stargazing. I sold most of my gear years ago. I still have a GP wooden mount and Skysensor 2000PC, so I could always try rigging it up and see what happens. 

But I want this one mainly for terra photography, since my tolerance for sitting outside at 3am on 20* nights has waned somewhat. I put Jim on notice for a Q5 when they are ready, Hopefully that will inspire me to get out more. 

Edited by Alan Cohen, 16 September 2019 - 08:06 AM.

#779 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Dallas TX

Posted 16 September 2019 - 08:17 AM

If that mirror is OK then you should have a beauty after a satisfying clean up. I’m finding more that bad paint (probably degraded by old case foam) can be best treated by polishing, as opposed to “cleaning”. Even a wet cloth seems to remove some clearcoat and damage the finish.

Test with care.

There is a repair bench thread where you can post questions or report progress.

PS: That same car polish (followed by wax) has done an excellent job on "hopelessly" bad plain purple barrel skins.  It seems to polish out what look like corroded fingerprints and foam degradation that aren't removed by solvent. 

Edited by Optics Patent, 16 September 2019 - 12:14 PM.

#780 Alan Cohen

Alan Cohen

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 September 2019 - 11:13 AM

Zymöl will be my first go-round.

• rcwolpert and Les Aperture like this

#781 Hosea100

Hosea100

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 September 2019 - 10:25 AM

Questar Telescope (Field Model)

F-4094

Pros:

• Looks good including optics.
  • Recent 1989 model
  • Three eyepieces, camera coupling
  • Nice original case

Cons:

• Fading of dew shield and duplex ring (may require replacement warning stick er to cover shadow)
  • Case needs foam
  • Finder knob needs alignment
  • Finder mirror bracket screws goopy with silicone, probably need cleaning, collimation, and reseal (with a drop of nail polish)
  • Shipping is insane (update: reduced from insane to ridiculous)

This may be a good value considering the whole package, if the buyer can arrange with seller to pay actual shipping.  Seller correspondence suggests a fear of expensive international shipping costs that will hurt this auction.  May get no bids exact for one who makes arrangements in advance regarding shipping.

Value at $1200 if shipping is reasonable.

I got the scope yesterday. The scope is in excellent shape as is the case and the eyepieces. Foam also is in great shape. Yes, the dew shield has faded but still usable. Re the finder knob, it works but not from the normal clock face 12 to 3 position. Instead it works from the 3 to 6 position. So would this be something for repair by Questar or Company 7?

#782 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 September 2019 - 12:58 PM

I got the scope yesterday. The scope is in excellent shape as is the case and the eyepieces. Foam also is in great shape. Yes, the dew shield has faded but still usable. Re the finder knob, it works but not from the normal clock face 12 to 3 position. Instead it works from the 3 to 6 position. So would this be something for repair by Questar or Company 7?

See my reply on the Repair Q&A thread.

#783 Alan Cohen

Alan Cohen

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 September 2019 - 02:14 PM

Mine arrived too. everything seems to work fine. I set it up on a big video t-pod for now. Views are truly stunning. 

Edited by Alan Cohen, 20 September 2019 - 02:30 PM.

#784 Hosea100

Hosea100

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 21 September 2019 - 09:53 PM

Mine arrived too. everything seems to work fine. I set it up on a big video t-pod for now. Views are truly stunning. 

I was wondering why I couldn't get those stunning views. Did I get a lemon? Geez, I was so happy with the scope and wanted to try every knob I forgot to remove the cover, duh?!

#785 spereira

spereira

Apollo

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 22 September 2019 - 06:48 AM

I was wondering why I couldn't get those stunning views. Did I get a lemon? Geez, I was so happy with the scope and wanted to try every knob I forgot to remove the cover, duh?!

lol.gif

Good one!

smp

#786 Les Aperture

Les Aperture

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Illinois

Posted 22 September 2019 - 11:49 AM

Zymöl will be my first go-round.

I use Zymöl Carbon. 

Natural product, does a nice job of "liquifying" contaminates.

Absolutely no cleaning "grit".

No Turtle wax!

Use Simichrome on the aluminum. 

"Les, Mr. Miyagi, Aperture"

#787 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 September 2019 - 05:54 PM

Questar 3.5" Duplex, Broad Band Pyrex, Power Guide II, Case

6DP10682BB

Pros:

• Recent 1996 model looks nice and complete.
  • Full solar adds ~$300
  • Extra EP and Barlow add ~$200
  • Leather case
  • PGII

Cons:

• No optics photos
  • Case might be a little dirty
  • Might have some scratches on black Duplex ring.
  • RA brake should be restored to indicator window (cheap and easy).

Might be a very nice choice.

Price isn't too far off.  Might justify up to $3000 for the right buyer who prefers this era and configuration.  Offer over $2500.

#788 Gregory Gross

Gregory Gross

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Pacific Northwest

Posted 28 September 2019 - 08:59 PM

Rare 1960's Vintage Questar 3.5" Standard Telescope Case And Tripod with Camera

Pros:

• Credibly original owner/estate sale
  • Early (1962 or earlier) vintage
  • Nice condition, case protected by sleeve.
  • Praktina FX system was offered by Questar 1957-60 (docs say purchased 1962)
Cons:
  • No optics photos
  • Limited photos (can't see focus knob style, or whether it's wide field rear aperture)
  • No serial number yet
  • As-is
  • Ridiculous shipping should be pre-negotiated down before bidding.  The shipping tube means that with some bubble wrap inside the case for padding, they just need to drop at any UPS store with a prepaid label a buyer could arrange at their own expense, plus another box for camera.
Probably a gem.  Low starting bid.  Should exceed $2000.

To say the least, it's always fun to see a Questar of this vintage as complete as this with all of its original accessories, documentation, and shipping materials. I'd be curious to see if the seller eventually indicates the serial number and/or posts photos of the optics.

Not to reveal myself reading the tea leaves too closely here -- wink.gif  -- but the seventh picture in this listing has "# 0-829" handwritten on the pink instruction book cover. Not a bad bet to believe that this is the serial number, thus pegging this scope as dating from 1960.

Good observation (no pun); I’m sure you’re correct. Not at all surprised that someone who would’ve kept something that old that intact for so many years would’ve noted the serial number right on the instruction manual, right down to the # sign...

Ron

Confirmed by seller.

This item has reappeared on eBay here. The prior listing shows that bidding started at $1277 and ended after three bids with the winning one at $2024. I wonder what happened with that. This new listing starts the bidding at $1277 again.

As an aficionado of the earliest Questars, I love how wonderfully complete this example is with its many interesting items: shipping drum, vinyl case cover, instruction booklet and various other pieces of promotional literature, Praktina FX camera with accessories, etc. But the lack of photos depicting this scope’s optics would worry me.

#789 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 October 2019 - 08:58 AM

Vintage Questar 3.5" Catadioptric Photo-Visual Telescope AS-IS Condition

F-42

Pros:

• Truly Rare vintage museum piece.  Only one of these has previously come up in recent years, and none are found in more than a decade of AM ads.
  • Appears great cosmetic condition.
  • Low starting bid

Cons:

• Chip in mirror.
  • No original case, diagonal, porro, or eyepieces.  (This never had lens cap.)  A conventional early EP holder is received in the EP bore to hold the older Questar eyepieces.
  • The mounting foot has four holes drilled and tapped for connection with the non-Questar plate below.  These are not standard and probably modifications.  Possible that the main tripod screw hole is stripped.

This rarity could go for $100 or for $1000.  One without the chip and with complete accessories went for well over $1000 last year because an Ebay seller accepted an early offer.  Bid in the final seconds.  The question is whether there are two collectors who want to acquire this rarity.  I may bid to ensure it doesn't go too cheap, but won't be competing at the upper range. 

Here's #F-58, which I was fortunate to acquire last year as a very complete package.

Edited by Optics Patent, 01 October 2019 - 02:28 PM.

#790 Gregory Gross

Gregory Gross

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 01 October 2019 - 11:10 AM

Vintage Questar 3.5" Catadioptric Photo-Visual Telescope AS-IS Condition

Pros:

• Truly Rare vintage museum piece.  Only one of these has previously come up in recent years, and none are found in more than a decade of AM ads.
  • Appears great cosmetic condition.
  • Low starting bid
Cons:
  • Chip in mirror.
  • No original case, diagonal, porro, or eyepieces.  (This never had lens cap.)  A conventional early EP holder is received in the EP bore to hold the older Questar eyepieces.
  • The mounting foot has four holes drilled and tapped for connection with the non-Questar plate below.  These are not standard and probably modifications.  Possible that the main tripod screw hole is stripped.
This rarity could go for $100 or for $1000.  One without the chip and with complete accessories went for well over $1000 last year because an Ebay seller accepted an early offer.  Bid in the final seconds.  The question is whether there are two collectors who want to acquire this rarity.  I may bid to ensure it doesn't go too cheap, but won't be competing at the upper range.

Rare indeed: this looks like an original Field Model, which Questar introduced in 1956 and sold throughout the 1950s. This is different than the Field Model that Questar introduced in 1964.

#791 Hosea100

Hosea100

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 October 2019 - 05:31 PM

Wondering why? I was cruising through the Questar classifieds a while ago and found a scope for sale in the amount of +/-$3500. Same item on EB by same seller going for $2475. This seller has dropped the price on EB after several relistings for higher amounts. Just curious why the seller hasn't dropped the price on CN. Forgot or maybe thought higher price would sell on CN. Anyway, I left a * rating with my explanation.

#792 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Washington

Posted 06 October 2019 - 05:40 PM

Feedback is supposed to be based on actual transactions you have with another member.  

That's really harsh/mean, you could have just sent them a polite private message. People will not want to buy/sell with you if you go around tossing out bad feedback just because you don't approve of something they did.

Wondering why? I was cruising through the Questar classifieds a while ago and found a scope for sale in the amount of +/-$3500. Same item on EB by same seller going for $2475. This seller has dropped the price on EB after several relistings for higher amounts. Just curious why the seller hasn't dropped the price on CN. Forgot or maybe thought higher price would sell on CN. Anyway, I left a * rating with my explanation.

#793 Hosea100

Hosea100

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 October 2019 - 06:15 PM

Feedback is supposed to be based on actual transactions you have with another member.  

That's really harsh/mean, you could have just sent them a polite private message. People will not want to buy/sell with you if you go around tossing out bad feedback just because you don't approve of something they did.

Yes, my comments are critical. First, you don't know that I did send a "polite private message" to the seller via their EBay post when the item was selling for much more. Unfortunately, there was no response. Second, you miss the crux of my post. So how would someone, like me for instance, feel about buying an item for a higher amount and find on another site that the same item was selling for much less.

Caveat Emptor I suppose. So as not to clog this topic with a debate about my post I won't respond to further comments.

#794 lylver

lylver

Viking 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: near Grenoble

Posted 07 October 2019 - 01:23 AM

* moderation *

Yes, my comments are critical. /.../ So as not to clog this topic with a debate about my post I won't respond to further comments.

Ok, we could have personal feeling about a trade, you can notify if you find something not consistent to help/protect CN members.

In response to your critic, every thing is said about the way to behave on open forum about trade.

as you said : little, useful, "off topic" closed.

#795 GQuestar

GQuestar

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Windermere, FL

Posted 07 October 2019 - 09:04 AM

Hi guys, I'm brand new to Cloudy Nights and just pulled the trigger on the eBay item being discussed above:

This will be my very first Questar so I can't wait to see how it arrives, should be this Friday 10/11/19, :)

I've already purchased the Tele Vue Eyepiece Adapter and have the Panoptic 19mm...

Any other advice for a first time Questar user?.... assuming I didn't get ripped off on eBay lol.gif  (which hopefully not, bc the seller provided a ton of additional pics/detail over multiple requests)

Thanks in advance, Greg

#796 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 October 2019 - 10:21 AM

Hi guys, I'm brand new to Cloudy Nights and just pulled the trigger on the eBay item being discussed above:

This will be my very first Questar so I can't wait to see how it arrives, should be this Friday 10/11/19, smile.gif

I've already purchased the Tele Vue Eyepiece Adapter and have the Panoptic 19mm...

Any other advice for a first time Questar user?.... assuming I didn't get ripped off on eBay lol.gif  (which hopefully not, bc the seller provided a ton of additional pics/detail over multiple requests)

Thanks in advance, Greg

That looks like a gem.  Before it ships, be sure the faded dew shield I didn't notice on the first listing doesn't bother you.  It gives a vintage look, and can be replaced if you're vary watchful and patient.  The extra photos may show it not too bad as the listing photos are small and uncertain.

• GQuestar likes this

#797 GQuestar

GQuestar

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 October 2019 - 11:42 AM

Yeah I hope so, the dew shield does appear quite faded in the additional pictures as well but the barrel looked superb (the seller didn’t even know the dew shield slid)... I was trying to attach a pic but the 500kb deal is giving me trouble...

I’m still trying to understand what I’m exactly I’m missing if it is indeed pre-1964 (appears to be from 1960 from the hand written serial # in auction pictures).  The widefield update... does that effect general observations or just for Astrophotography?  Additionally, are there any other major optic updates I’d be lacking?

I also spoke with Jim from Questar this morning.  Just to get a feel for recommendations and what a nice guy!  I’m quickly understanding the following, now I just hope the scope delivers the goods!

Thanks,  Greg 

#798 Gregory Gross

Gregory Gross

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 07 October 2019 - 12:26 PM

This will be my very first Questar so I can't wait to see how it arrives, should be this Friday 10/11/19, smile.gif

Thanks in advance, Greg

Yeah I hope so, the dew shield does appear quite faded in the additional pictures as well but the barrel looked superb (the seller didn’t even know the dew shield slid)... I was trying to attach a pic but the 500kb deal is giving me trouble...

I’m still trying to understand what I’m exactly I’m missing if it is indeed pre-1964 (appears to be from 1960 from the hand written serial # in auction pictures).  The widefield update... does that effect general observations or just for Astrophotography?  Additionally, are there any other major optic updates I’d be lacking?

I also spoke with Jim from Questar this morning.  Just to get a feel for recommendations and what a nice guy!  I’m quickly understanding the following, now I just hope the scope delivers the goods!

Thanks,  Greg

From one Greg to another, let me first say welcome to the Questar forum on Cloudy Nights!

I'm really excited for you to have acquired such a complete and interesting Questar. I have a strong preference for the earliest Questars, and that particular one caught my eye. Congratulations to you!

Tell us a bit more about yourself. Are you new to astronomy? Or have you been in the hobby for some time? Do you have one or more scopes that your Questar will be joining?

Especially considering that the seller is inexperienced with Questars, I would not delay with an appeal to the seller for a careful packing job. Lots of bubble wrap to prevent the scope from shifting around in the case! Have a look at Questar's advice for packing and Optics Patent's advice for selling Questars on the internet.

The other piece of advice I'd offer is maybe an obvious one but still an important one: read the instructions. You're lucky that your scope comes complete with an instruction booklet. There are a few odd, idiosyncratic, and counterintuitive features that Questars have (the altitude/declination brake knob immediately comes to mind -- to tighten, turn the knob counterclockwise, and, to loosen, turn clockwise). Reading the instruction booklet will help limit confusion and, better still, prevent damage to your new (to you) scope. I'd go so far as to say that an experienced amateur astronomer has all the more reason to read the instructions because some long-held assumptions about how to work most scopes don't apply to Questars. They're special in more ways than one.

There doesn't seem to be too many details available online that describe exactly what went into wide field conversions/constructions, which Questar brought about in 1964. In an ad appearing on the inside front cover of the February 1964 issue of Sky and Telescope (and discussed here), Questar wrote that this wide-field construction involved "twenty-one major changes in the control-box assembly permit a much wider photographic field of view…exposures are two f-numbers faster." The most obvious feature is the wider axial port on the back of the control box. I believe this was mainly a benefit for photography (less vignetting).

If memory serves, I didn't recall seeing a camera coupler as part of that eBay listing for that scope. This is a critical part for using that Praktina camera with your Questar. It may be hard to find since the wide field construction has been standard for decades.

I see that I'm carrying on here a bit. Perhaps consider starting a new discussion thread if you have further, more specific questions (we don't want to go too far off topic in this thread discussing Questars on eBay).

• GQuestar likes this

#799 GQuestar

GQuestar

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 October 2019 - 04:01 PM

Thanks Greg will do and also for the warm welcome!

I’ll have more to come once the scope arrives, scheduled for this Friday and I can’t wait like it’s Christmas 30 years ago lol.gif 

#800 sgorton99

sgorton99

Skylab

• Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 07 October 2019 - 04:09 PM

Questar "Standard" very beat up on eBay that is a Field model.

https://www.ebay.com...359.m2763.l2649

This is actually a Field model and I have messaged him twice that he should correct to a Field model and this is not a Standard model. His BIN price of $2,500 is also ridiculous. He runs a pawn store and says he is selling it because the person defaulted on a loan. If he loaned him more than $500 I predict he will lose money after the eBay and PayPal fees (plus free shipping).

Edited by sgorton99, 07 October 2019 - 04:16 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics