•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Questars on Ebay

• Please log in to reply
844 replies to this topic

#826 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Dallas TX

Posted 06 November 2019 - 06:49 AM

I didn’t see that anyone suggested that paint color was thermally more important than substrate. The question is whether the selection of a white surface will reduce insolation compared to other color surfaces?

Do black cars get hotter in the sun than white cars?

“Urban legend”?
  • sgorton99 likes this

#827 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 November 2019 - 04:15 PM

A recent acquisition to be reported elsewhere when it arrives reminded me that Ebay is now collecting retail sales tax based on the state of the purchaser. 

10% to Ebay, 3% to PayPal, ~8% to the state.  Ouch!

• sgorton99 likes this

#828 Toddeo

Toddeo

Apollo

• Loc: Sierra Vista, AZ

Posted 08 November 2019 - 04:59 PM

Ben, you didn't buy that "white" field Ranger- did you???wink.gif

#829 RichA

RichA

Apollo

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 08 November 2019 - 11:18 PM

A recent acquisition to be reported elsewhere when it arrives reminded me that Ebay is now collecting retail sales tax based on the state of the purchaser. 

Nice to see Ebay and Amazon put on the same footing as retail stores which still have much higher overhead and for that sometimes you can actually go in an see what it is like before buying it.

• sgorton99 likes this

#830 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 09 November 2019 - 03:00 PM

I did grab the white Ranger. The focal reducers added lots of value and will likely appears in the classifieds.

#831 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• Loc: GA

Posted 09 November 2019 - 07:43 PM

I did grab the white Ranger. The focal reducers added lots of value and will likely appears in the classifieds.

Nice scopewaytogo.gif I was going to bid on it but found a better deal on a field model. It did peak my interest though.

#832 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

Posted 09 November 2019 - 11:28 PM

Someone just bought this Q with damaged coatings...Not sure its with it specially if its BB coatings...

Edited by rolo, 09 November 2019 - 11:28 PM.

#833 sgorton99

sgorton99

Skylab

• Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 10 November 2019 - 07:33 AM

Someone just bought this Q with damaged coatings...Not sure its with it specially if its BB coatings...

I saw this and was curious about it regarding the price. The optics are trashed...

Edited by sgorton99, 10 November 2019 - 07:54 AM.

#834 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 November 2019 - 08:41 AM

That scope probably just needed a $70 mirror recoat to be great and probably was a good deal

#835 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 November 2019 - 08:41 AM

That scope probably just needed a $70 mirror recoat to be great and probably was a good deal

#836 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

Posted 10 November 2019 - 11:28 AM

As long as they do the work themselves, otherwise not so much.

• sgorton99 likes this

#837 sgorton99

sgorton99

Skylab

• Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 11 November 2019 - 12:27 PM

As long as they do the work themselves, otherwise not so much.

Agreed, and removing the optics on a Q and sending in for recoat and then reinstalling correctly is an endeavor most people are not capable of.

Certainly credit to Ben for all the help if you wish to try though!

Edited by sgorton99, 11 November 2019 - 12:29 PM.

#838 Alan Cohen

Alan Cohen

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey

Posted 17 November 2019 - 04:26 PM

Amazon just charged me sales tax for an item shipped from Japan. Somehow, I don't think a company in Japan is cutting the State of NJ a check for sales tax. 

#839 Steve C.

Steve C.

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sugar Land, TX

Posted 17 November 2019 - 11:24 PM

Amazon just charged me sales tax for an item shipped from Japan. Somehow, I don't think a company in Japan is cutting the State of NJ a check for sales tax. 

Technically, you're paying a use tax. Probably the tax you paid never made it to Japan.

http://www.tax-rates..._jersey/use-tax

• sgorton99 likes this

#840 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 November 2019 - 07:51 AM

Field (sic - Duplex) Model Questar 3.5" Standard Telescope with Carrying Case & Instructions

Eyepieces (pre-Brandon) and case (post English leather - non-slant lid) suggest ~1969 production.

Pros:

• Complete kit
  • Decent condition
  • Nice starting price
  • Photos are credible, and highlight minor cosmetic issue.

Cons:

• "light crazing around the outside edge" of mirror.  Presumably needs recoating
  • Photo lighting doesn't reveal level of polish.  Diffuse lighting conceals surface condition. Probably needs a good polishing.
  • Lack of serial number means this may be an unrestorable Broadband coating model.

This may be ideal for someone who wants a very restorable scope, if serial number is verified non-Broadband.  If the corrector needs restoring that adds significantly to the cost.

If non-BB, good deal at opening bid, fair deal at $1500.

#841 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

Posted Yesterday, 12:22 AM

Field (sic - Duplex) Model Questar 3.5" Standard Telescope with Carrying Case & Instructions

Eyepieces (pre-Brandon) and case (post English leather - non-slant lid) suggest ~1969 production.

Pros:

• Complete kit
  • Decent condition
  • Nice starting price
  • Photos are credible, and highlight minor cosmetic issue.

Cons:

• "light crazing around the outside edge" of mirror.  Presumably needs recoating
  • Photo lighting doesn't reveal level of polish.  Diffuse lighting conceals surface condition. Probably needs a good polishing.
  • Lack of serial number means this may be an unrestorable Broadband coating model.

This may be ideal for someone who wants a very restorable scope, if serial number is verified non-Broadband.  If the corrector needs restoring that adds significantly to the cost.

If non-BB, good deal at opening bid, fair deal at $1500.

I hope the high bidder asked for pictures of the optics...Hope they like fungus

Edited by rolo, Yesterday, 12:23 AM.

#842 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 07:40 AM

I won't be surprised to see this relisted in a few weeks.  Either shill bidding or an unhappy naive buyer.

I note from my recent exploration into camera lens restoration that hydrogen peroxide can remove fungus nicely.  Any damage to the coating may remain but it makes for a clear lens that works well.

#843 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

Posted Yesterday, 08:17 AM

I won't be surprised to see this relisted in a few weeks.  Either shill bidding or an unhappy naive buyer.

I note from my recent exploration into camera lens restoration that hydrogen peroxide can remove fungus nicely.  Any damage to the coating may remain but it makes for a clear lens that works well.

"#9-QTZ-DP-4148 We could bring it back to life...

Attached Thumbnails

• ebayQ.jpg

• G-Tower likes this

#844 Toddeo

Toddeo

Apollo

• Loc: Sierra Vista, AZ

Posted Yesterday, 09:04 AM

Rolo, fungus doesn't seem to scare you, doe's it?wink.gif . That front corrector looks familiar to you(one recent purchase that cleaned up quite wellbow.gif ).

• rolo likes this

#845 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

Posted Yesterday, 08:59 PM

Rolo, fungus doesn't seem to scare you, doe's it?wink.gif . That front corrector looks familiar to you(one recent purchase that cleaned up quite wellbow.gif ).

I would leave it looking like new but currently at over $1800 no way. If the seller doesn't post that pic or accurately describes the condition of the optics he may be in for a for a return of an item that's not as advertised.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics