•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Questar 5

• Please log in to reply
310 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Allen

Mike Allen

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 20 April 2017 - 12:40 PM

Just got an email from Jim Reichert at Questar.  A Questar 5-inch is now in development.

• George N, Traveler, ehallspqr and 4 others like this

#2 Richard O'Neill

Richard O'Neill

Vanguard

Posted 20 April 2017 - 12:48 PM

Cool! waytogo.gif 

#3 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:25 PM

Now that's a great idea!  I'm really looking forward to seeing one of these. ubetcha.gif

#4 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:57 PM

Questar are undoubtedly very desirable but the prices are eye watering and at 5 inches of aperture for possibly a massive price has little appeal for me however good the pedigree.

• karstenkoch and Spacefreak1974 like this

#5 Richard O'Neill

Richard O'Neill

Vanguard

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:11 PM

It'll be sourced from China. wink.gif

Edited by Richard O'Neill, 20 April 2017 - 02:12 PM.

#6 ScottW

ScottW

Ranger 4

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:37 PM

Well with no real firm timeline I'll guess that I'll come out of retirement, get another job or two and then if it's gets delayed, I might have enough money!

Think Not,

Scott

• JHollJr likes this

#7 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Dallas TX

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:33 PM

I had to check if the posting date was April 1 wink.gif .

But new news is definitely good news. 

A Questar 5 built with the same design as the 3.5 and 7 would be ~3x the weight of the 3.5, which is a nice 20+ pound number, less than half the weight of the Seven, and reasonably shippable by UPS in a single container instead of motor freight.

My bold price-point prediction for a complete model without upgraded materials or coatings is $9995, with mount, in case (possibly Pelican-type transit case).  This slots nicely between the $4995 3.5 and the $17,790 Seven. 

And it nicely echoes the original $995 3.5 back in 1954.

I also note that this can be marketed as having "more than double the light-gathering power of the 3.5 inch model."  (At less than double the price, I'd hope to add).

Edited by Optics Patent, 20 April 2017 - 03:46 PM.

• TerryWood likes this

#8 ehallspqr

ehallspqr

Messenger

• Loc: Port Townsend, WA. USA

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:49 PM

That's great news. Hopefully it's been in development for awhile before the email. I can see this taking 5 years or more, plenty of time to save for it. If it is all Questar manufactured in the USA, fork mount, drives etc, I could easily see this being north of $10K.

I have a 5" Meade ETX and find it to be a great compromise of aperture vs portability. Much more light grasp than my 3.5" Q. The Meade optics are very good and the goto drive works flawlessly. If Questar could build a 5" with the same quality as their current offerings + a few modern touches I'm sure they would have a winner on their hands. Those wanting to see what a 5" fork-mount Questar would be like checkout the 125ETX. They can be had for a song.

Edited by ehallspqr, 21 April 2017 - 01:30 AM.

• Jaimo!, ianatcn, RichA and 2 others like this

#9 JamesMStephens

JamesMStephens

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hattiesburg, Mississippi

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:51 PM

Browse through this forum and I think you'll find mention of a Questar 5, and isn't there a prototype?  So there's a Questar 5 mythology!  (This is not a disparaging term, btw.)

Years ago when I was a member of the Atlanta Astronomy Club one of the members was well connected with telescope manufacturers.  He told us (1992-ish) that Questar was preparing to start selling a five inch model the following year.  If I remember correctly he said it wouldn't exactly be a scaled up 3.5, so it would be a little more economical than you might have expected and it was going to be a modernized design.  I'll be interested to see the design, but I'll believe it when I see it offered for sale.  Frankly I'd like to see them do something other than simply scale up the design, i don't really like the Questar 7.  I might like it if someone gave me one, but in a larger size than the 3.5 I like my Intes 6" Mak more than the Q7.  I just think at that scale it's a more reasonable design.  

Jim

Edited by JamesMStephens, 20 April 2017 - 03:53 PM.

• gfstallin likes this

#10 Kevin Barker

Kevin Barker

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Auckland, NZ

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:13 PM

An exciting development if this is true. As much as I like the 3.5 it is puny in terms of aperture. Perhaps best if sold as an ota. Not sure how a q7 costs 17000. Surely this includes a mount???
Look I would predict a price for a bare ota in case somewhere round the 5 to 6 k mark.
I recall being shot down in a forum a few years back when suggesting a 5inch size would be a good idea. Too big too heavy etc
From a user friendly point of view a 5 say f12 might just be a good seller...

#11 ehallspqr

ehallspqr

Messenger

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:35 AM

Five is the perfect size. The fork mounted seven inch Q is a beast. Great in a fixed location but not much of a travel or quick-look scope. The ETX 5" on it's tripod is still very light and manageable. 3.5" light gathering is around 165 times the unaided human eye, 5" is around 330 or there abouts.

The photo below of the two apertures tells the story.

ETX125%20Questar%2090mm%20side%20by%20si

Meade%20ETX125%20Questar%2090mm%20object

Edited by ehallspqr, 21 April 2017 - 01:19 AM.

• Jaimo!, sgorton99, TerryWood and 3 others like this

#12 Billydee

Billydee

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Winter Haven, FL

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:11 PM

I would suggest there is a Government bid contract with 5 inch specs out there and Questar wants their share of out taxes.  I wish them well.

Bill

• Steve C., gfstallin and Augustus like this

#13 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Dallas TX

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:51 PM

I receive an email from Jim Perkins, with permission to share his comments and photos.

Yes, we are developing a Q5. I have attached some pre prototype pictures.

Pic509 has both tube versions next to a Q 3.5 standard.

both tube versions next to a Q 3.5 standard

Pic 651 has the astro tube version mounted on a new mount under development, IE GOTO type using the new PG3 system. We are still developing the PG3 database and GOTO functions

the astro tube version mounted on a new mount under development

I do expect to have the Q5 tube assemblies ready for sale late 2017. The system will be a Duplex style.

Pic 721 is the general shape of the new mount. I have a lot of work to do on this new mount. The current scale is off. it is to small for the Q5. The concept is still open to single or double arm and electronic placement. The mount will be difficult to get into production this year but expect 2018.

the general shape of the new mount.

I do expect the system to be less than 25 pounds. Colors will be the same as our current systems. Black anodize and blue sheets with graphics.

I unveiled this unit at NEAF 2017 in April. Everyone seemed to like the size and shape.

I am getting requests to place orders but have no final pricing. Looks like I have 6 or more already to buy.

-Jim Perkins

My own preference is for a two-fork non-GOTO, but with a battery powered internal drive akin to the PG-1 (not requiring an external paddle control for sidereal drive).  Design should evoke the classic as much as possible, but with modernized refinements enabled by modern CNC machining.

• sgorton99, ehallspqr, BGeoghegan and 6 others like this

#14 TerryWood

TerryWood

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: USA

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:19 PM

I am really excited about this! Thanks for reaching out to Questar and providing the pictures and information!

V/R

Terry

• ehallspqr likes this

#15 JamesMStephens

JamesMStephens

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:30 PM

Wow!  Now I believe it.  I hope it really becomes available.  Wonder if they'll have a telescope (OTA) only option.  

• ehallspqr and TerryWood like this

#16 Rpsqueezer

Rpsqueezer

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:56 PM

Considering that they are expecting to have Q5 tube assemblies available for sale in late 2017 but the mount not until some time in 2018, wouldn't that be your OTA Jim? And I would imagine that they expect a number of folks will want the OTA but not the mount - especially considering the wait and the number of suitable options out there.

Repeat after me, "Must remember not to drool on the Q5 OTA."

Ross Schlabach

• ehallspqr and TerryWood like this

#17 TerryWood

TerryWood

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: USA

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:07 PM

Wow!  Now I believe it.  I hope it really becomes available.  Wonder if they'll have a telescope (OTA) only option.  

From Ben's post it looks like the OTA-only Astro version will be available late 2017, and the standard version with fork mount in 2018.  Exciting times!

V/R

Terry

#18 JamesMStephens

JamesMStephens

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:49 PM

Considering that they are expecting to have Q5 tube assemblies available for sale in late 2017 but the mount not until some time in 2018, wouldn't that be your OTA Jim? And I would imagine that they expect a number of folks will want the OTA but not the mount - especially considering the wait and the number of suitable options out there.

Repeat after me, "Must remember not to drool on the Q5 OTA."

Ross Schlabach

Yes, it would, I think I misinterpreted Ben's post to mean the scope wouldn't be available period until the whole thing was ready to go!  It will be interesting to see what the prices are, what the final mount design will be, what the final scope design will be (control box like the earlier models, I would imagine, but who knows).  

• TerryWood likes this

#19 Edd Weninger

Edd Weninger

Apollo

• -----

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:05 PM

Some years ago when the 5" was a phantom, I made this drawing of what the size might be relative to the 3.5".

Attached Files

• sgorton99, ehallspqr, RichA and 3 others like this

#20 Rpsqueezer

Rpsqueezer

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:21 PM

With the first picture, Jim Perkins' caption referred to two different tube assemblies in the photo and they appear to show both a classic style version (with internal Barlow, etc) on the left and a separate version on the right that appears to mimic the Q7 "Astro" version. So it really looks like Questar is planning to take the same route on the Q5 that they used with the Q7 with both classic and Astro versions. 

Ross Schlabach

• TerryWood likes this

#21 Mike Allen

Mike Allen

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:42 PM

For my observing style, the things that make the Questar such a pleasant telescope to use are the control box with the built in finder and barlow, and the fork mount with rotating tube.  I would like see these features incorporated in the Q5.  Like Ben, I favor the classic Questar functions and appearance, and GOTO is not necessary.  Heck, I still use setting circles, and find them quite satisfactory when observing with my Q3.5.  The astro version shown above, without the control box, looks like it would be nice for those who do imaging.  I wish good luck to Questar Corporation in this new venture.  Looking forward to seeing the final product.

• Mike E., BGeoghegan, ianatcn and 2 others like this

#22 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• Loc: GA

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:08 PM

This should have been introduced many years ago. At this point it may be too little too late and possibly too expensive...Good luck.

• Richard Whalen, sgorton99, terraclarke and 2 others like this

#23 ehallspqr

ehallspqr

Messenger

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:28 PM

Wow is right. Seems the Questar elves have been busy behind the scene making the 5" a reality. I'm amazed after all the rumors and speculation over the years about this telescope in developement. Now here it sits. Smart move by Questar to make this size. I think they will sell quite a number of these as the 5" should fill the big price gap between the 3.5 and 7". Interesting to see if they go with a full goto, single arm or double. Start saving up your money people! On and start working on an argument/story to justify to the wife(girlfriend) as to why you need this thing lol.

Edited by ehallspqr, 21 April 2017 - 08:37 PM.

• TerryWood and Augustus like this

#24 RichA

RichA

Apollo

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:20 PM

Just got an email from Jim Reichert at Questar.  A Questar 5-inch is now in development.

shocking!  They should have done this 20 years ago.

#25 RichA

RichA

Apollo

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:25 PM

It'll be sourced from China. wink.gif

Wow is right. Seems the Questar elves have been busy behind the scene making the 5" a reality. I'm amazed after all the rumors and speculation over the years about this telescope in developement. Now here it sits. Smart move by Questar to make this size. I think they will sell quite a number of these as the 5" should fill the big price gap between the 3.5 and 7". Interesting to see if they go with a full goto, single arm or double. Start saving up your money people! On and start working on an argument/story to justify to the wife(girlfriend) as to why you need this thing lol.

3.5  $5000 to 7 at $10000.  So...$7500 for the base model?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics