•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Questar 5

• Please log in to reply
310 replies to this topic

#301 TerryWood

TerryWood

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: USA

Posted 29 August 2019 - 03:57 PM

No, I was referring to something internal. They would have to re-design the whole control box as well as make it deeper to accomodate another lens group. Probably way, way more trouble than it's worth. I'm no engineer, so I'm just thinking pie-in-the-sky stuff. Regarding the moon map, I did touch base with Jim Perkins over FB and he said that there's no plans to change it. Yeah, I like the analog approach too without the fancy electronics. But I do have the add-on DEC motor for the Q3.5 which is nice when needed. V/R Terry
  • Augustus likes this

#302 dougspeterson

dougspeterson

Apollo

• Loc: SANTA ANA, CA

Posted 29 August 2019 - 06:44 PM

Do we know if the 5 will have a rotating tube? Major dissipointment in the Seven and one reason I didn’t keep it.

#303 munirocks

munirocks

Viking 1

• Loc: Bourne End, UK

Posted 30 August 2019 - 04:05 AM

Just thinking out loud here. Is the top eyepiece holder for 1.25 eyepieces only? Will it at least be able to handle a 24 mm Panoptic without vignetting? If not , the widest True Field of View is going to be narrow. Any data on what the focal length will be?

#304 munirocks

munirocks

Viking 1

Posted 30 August 2019 - 04:15 AM

High-end fast Leica lens remain the sharpest at full aperture, far above the competitor. While Leica M body hasn't evolved, lens have been improved in the last decades thanks aspheric surfaces and more complex optical formulae. M is not dead because of the excellence of its optics and mechanical qualities. Innovation drives. 

A new 5" Questar should bring something new, otherwise, it is going to cannibalise the sells of its little and big brothers.

I'd like to see a Questar focal reducer correcting the coma... 

The front corrector on a Mak already corrects the coma doesn't it? I thought that was the whole purpose of the Maksutov design.

#305 spereira

spereira

Apollo

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 30 August 2019 - 06:58 AM

Just thinking out loud here. Is the top eyepiece holder for 1.25 eyepieces only? Will it at least be able to handle a 24 mm Panoptic without vignetting? If not , the widest True Field of View is going to be narrow. Any data on what the focal length will be?

I believe that I've posted this here before, but here it is again.  Back in December of 2018, I got the Q5 Filed Model spec sheet from Jim at Questar.

Attached File  Q5 Field Model spec Sheet 2018.pdf   455.72KB   90 downloads

smp

• Antares and agmoonsolns like this

#306 munirocks

munirocks

Viking 1

Posted 30 August 2019 - 07:19 AM

Thanks, that's very useful.

#307 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Dallas TX

Posted 30 August 2019 - 08:16 AM

I note that shows a rotating barrel like the 3.5.  Which is consistent with the factory statement that they will make this a scaled up 3.5 Duplex, and not a scaled-down Seven.

• agmoonsolns likes this

#308 Antares

Antares

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago suburbs

Posted 30 August 2019 - 01:19 PM

I wonder when Questar will release a spec sheet for their Q5 Standard? Are they still deciding some aspects of its design?

#309 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Dallas TX

Posted 30 August 2019 - 01:22 PM

My understanding is that the OTA is being developed first and will be released before the drive base is fully designed. 

• Antares likes this

#310 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Washington

Posted 30 August 2019 - 01:28 PM

There was a company briefly around during the 70s selling a control box extender, it fit over and extended back from the control box. This held a filter wheel, some type of reducer, and other items along with many very fancy features. It looked like a pain to add and then you couldn't move the tube through the fork arms anymore. It was very expensive and so I am not really sure how many they would have made or sold. It was from a shop teacher and an engineer in Eastern Washington. I think I still have their catalog here somewhere. If anyone is interested in arcane stuff like this and wants to see it, let me know and I'll go digging for it to upload here. It may have included a diagram with measurements, but I might be remembering something else.

They also sold a Meade pier modified to work with Questars, heavier/nicer Q tube counterweights, and stuff like that.

• JamesMStephens likes this

#311 Antares

Antares

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago suburbs

Posted 30 August 2019 - 02:27 PM

Thanks. That makes sense, although it means that my wait for a Q5 Standard will be very long! 😩😢

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics