•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Open PHD Guide 2 and Polar Alignment Accuracy Display

astrophotography equipment
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:51 AM

I used my QHY PoleMaster to align my CGEM tonight and recorded the RMS Error as reported by PHD.  I later went back and rechecked the CGEM using the PoleMaster and alignment was off some in ALT but not much.  I believe things shifted during slewing.

How can I determine how far my polar alignment was off from the information below?  Should both RA and DEC RMS Error be zero for 'perfect' alignment?

RMS Error:

• RA     0.33
  • DEC  0.35
  • Tot     0.48

Guide Stats:

• RA    (RMS) 0.33   (Peak) 0.90
  • DEC (RMS) 0.35   (Peak) 1.18
  • Total  0.48
  • RA Osc  0.35
  • RA Limited    0 (0%)
  • DEC Limited 0 (0%)

#2 baron555

baron555

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Lockport, IL

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:37 AM

I can't answer your question exactly but your theory is correct....that something changed as you slewed your system around.

Another way to check this theory is to keep Polemaster running, at the end where you line up the box and circle.....keep that screen on and running and then slew your system around.  If they move from each other you will know how much "flex" you have.  I guess one could slew to a position that you will be imaging from and re-align the PA at that point.

#3 pedxing

pedxing

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:12 AM

The PHD RMS error isn't necessarily directly related to polar alignment error.

If you want to cross-check your PA in PHD, you need to either use its drift alignment tool or run an analysis tool like PHDLab against your full guiding session.

#4 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Austin, Texas

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:10 AM

Also run the guiding assistant in PhD2 for 2-3 minutes. It reports the net polar alignment error, but it is noisy unless you run it for a while. Some recommend even runing for 10 minutes, but that a bit excessive.

#5 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:01 PM

Thanks all.  I will run 'Guiding Assistant' during my next run and also download the manual for PHD Log Viewer.

#6 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:15 PM

I havew never gotten perfectly consistent results from any polar alignment program, including Phd2 an Pempro. I can run them once, even waiting ten to fifteen minutes on the run, and get one answer. And then immediately run again, and get a slightly different answer. Don't sweat the results of the program. Check out your images. If the stars are round enough, get on with your imaging. What "round enough" means depends on your standards, your audience,  on how you plan to display, and your processing skills, among other things.

Alex

• Thundermoon1994 likes this

#7 erictheastrojunkie

erictheastrojunkie

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Salt Lake City

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:54 PM

Also run the guiding assistant in PhD2 for 2-3 minutes. It reports the net polar alignment error, but it is noisy unless you run it for a while. Some recommend even runing for 10 minutes, but that a bit excessive.

The reason people recommend 10 minutes is because that is generally one-cycle of the worm gear for most mounts, that's why you should run it that long, to know the total polar alignment error over one entire cycle of the worm gear. 

#8 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:07 PM

The reason people recommend 10 minutes is because that is generally one-cycle of the worm gear for most mounts, that's why you should run it that long, to know the total polar alignment error over one entire cycle of the worm gear. 

Good point about running it for one worm cycle.  Thx

#9 Darrenlh

Darrenlh

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Alberta, Canada

Posted 24 April 2017 - 01:22 PM

Should you ever expect any system to have "zero" error? With the guiding corrections based somewhat on atmospheric turbulence, periodic error alone, mount orientation and balance..etc, even if zero is reported...is it real? 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics