•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nestar GPS 1100

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Harvest_Moon

Harvest_Moon

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:12 AM

Hi there, due to ill health I have not posted for a while but I hope someone can assist me today.
A friend at a local astro society I belong to has a Nexstar 11 GPS scope. He had a no response 17 error (maybe 16 too) and decided to investigate. Big mistake. He now has the mount and wiring in the Base as 2 separate entities if you follow me. He reconnected everything and smoke came from his (already faulty I suspect) motorboard. I tested his Nexstar+ handset on my cpc which worked fine. He is not Internet friendly so I promised him I would post on here with a plea if anyone has images of how the wiring goes from the serial board in Base to the GPS unit to the motorboard.
I know this is no quick request but I also know people on here are very generous and experienced. Cekestron came back empty on my request for diagrams.
Additional info. He had ver. 4.4 motorboard, very nxw193 serial board and GPS unit is original one with removable Pl battery. How that helps. I can get images of boards if needed.
Many thanks

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Edited by Harvest_Moon, 21 April 2017 - 10:49 AM.

#2 Harvest_Moon

Harvest_Moon

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:58 AM

No one for any pics at all. .. I'm sure surprised. ..

#3 Lord Beowulf

Lord Beowulf

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Cedar Park, TX

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:23 AM

Wiring diagrams aren't going to be much help if he's already managed to smoke the board.  I've never had reason to dig into my NexStar GPS so don't have any pictures, sorry.  However, the connectors, etc. are usually keyed so it shouldn't be very easy to get them connected wrong.  However, doing so would definitely be bad if he did.  

At any rate, a quick Google image search on "nexstar gps control board" brings up a number of images, most from an article on the NexStar Resource Site.

http://www.nexstarsi...es/GPSBoard.htm

This article also comes up.  A bit extreme, but might help.

http://darkerview.co...rdpress/?p=6127

There should also be several threads here.  Here's one with a picture of the main board.

https://www.cloudyni...nexstar-11-gps/

You can also look at the spare parts here:

http://www.highpoint...ron-spare-parts

Beo

#4 Harvest_Moon

Harvest_Moon

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 April 2017 - 04:45 PM

Thanks be, boards are still available for the GPS scopes so he will most likely be replacing it, however what he has done is disconnect most of the cabling without knowing what cable connects from which socket to which. So I really need info on which socket connects to which.

#5 Lord Beowulf

Lord Beowulf

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Cedar Park, TX

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:21 PM

The connectors are pretty clearly labeled on the main serial board, but the reality is that it probably doesn't matter too much since the HC and AUX port connectors are the same, and since this board doesn't provide the drive signals for the motors, it's simply providing the centralized serial bridge to all of the devices.  Thus, I suspect (but haven't confirmed) that the wiring to those boards is the same as the HC and AUX connections.  You could determine that easily enough with a DMM or just by tracing it visually.  Interestingly, while the GPS connector has a similar pinout, they didn't populate as big of a connector.  I would have expected it to operate the same way.

At any rate, if you compare the main board image above to the motor board, the connection AG is pretty apparent on both boards as the auto-guider port input that is just routed to the motor board.  The connectors on the MC board labeled ALT and AZ that are right beside the L293D motor driver are obviously the motor connections for the corresponding axis.  I believe the DNSTOP and INDEX I believe are the north and level sensors and should be obvious based on connector size, assuming you know what those parts are.  Thus, by elimination, that leaves the SBB as the serial interface to the two controllers on the board.  If I had to guess, I'd suspect that's the COMP connection on the serial board, but again can't tell for sure. 

Looking at the DarkerView link, the AUX3 port isn't used, so that reduces the choices.  However, I can't see from his picture what his hand labels say.  You could try contacting him directly and see if he has a bigger picture.  

Note that this is assuming you don't have the really old design in the NexStarsite link.

Beo

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics