•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Help and advise

astrophotography imaging equipment Meade Maksutov observing
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 syc1959

syc1959

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Boise, Idaho

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:57 AM

Ok, I am in a bit of a quandry, I've been into astronomy for over 45 years. Til recently i have never had the 'bug' to capture anything. I have been doing a bit with my ETX's. 

I have several scopes and frustrated with getting things to work. I'm 58, eyes not what they used to be. I have tried using a Celestron SteadyPix but get frustrated on aligning it. I have Handheld some with my IPhone.

I just bought a Meade LPI (an older one), cant wait to try it out, and I have a Meade Electronic Eyepiece. 

Here is the fork in the road. 

I have a laptop that I connect the ETX's through and use several programs (Meade's AutoStar Suite, Stellarium, StarCalc, The Sky, etc.  Realizing that this is getting old school, I purchased SkySafari Pro5 (I have SkySafari 3,4,5 on my Iphone and Ipad) along with Meade's Stella Access. 

Would I be better off dropping the older laptop and going with the WiFi for the IPad connectivity and just capturing images on my IPhone. 

I would like to get some decent planetary images and maybe some of DSO that I see. Nothing major, just some simple captures to verify my observations. 

Thoughts, Ideas, etc. 

Here are a few that I've done. 

The Moon was handheld with the ETX 125 on an IPhone

Saturn was the ETX125 on a Pentax LS465 handheld, video (best frame)

Thanks;

Steve 

Attached Thumbnails

• Moon125B.jpg
  • Saturn1.jpg

#2 leveye

leveye

Gemini

• Loc: Central Oregon Coast

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:06 AM

If your happy with these pictures then I say yes connect using wifi and have fun out there!

#3 APshooter

APshooter

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Camby, In.

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:50 PM

A ZWO camera can give you some pretty nice results, i.e. ZWO 120, 178 or 224MC.  For happy snaps you can look into EAA cameras like the Atik Infinity.

Edited by APshooter, 21 April 2017 - 05:50 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, imaging, equipment, Meade, Maksutov, observing

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics