•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Death cries of a CGE mount

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tiny68

tiny68

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:28 PM

We have a 10 year old  CGE mount that we used for field observations to support teaching and outreach.  The OTA is a 14" CGE.  We added the HyperStar and an Atik 490 camera.  At f/1.8 it is a great tool to gather quick images of deep sky objects.  I recently have moved towards trying better quality astrophotography and added a second rail, a 3 ring set for a ST-80 and a LodeStar.  The bad news is with the dew shield I am now pushing 70 lbs.  I tried to do a quick setup last night to make sure everything was functional for an observation next week.  However I didn't put on the guidescope package.  I started to trying to alignment and I noticed the mount wouldn't rise up to Sirius. I noticed a buzzing sound but didn't think anything about it.  I turned the mount off and back on and verified my date/time settings.  Same things.  This time I notice the mount motor is running/buzzing but not movement.  I killed the power and released the clutches to get it back home.  I realize that I am not using my standard setup and keep the balance, it is way off.  I get it rebalanced and try again.  This time I goes close to the alignment star but is buzzing more (which is new) and it will stop at certain points and no proceed.  

So do I send the mount to DSP for a HyperTune rebuild by parts I destroyed or should I be looking for a heavier mount.  I really think I want to move to a different pier mount for the AP work but the key use is the field observations and it has to be probable.  I can get rid of the guide scope/rail/mounts and lose +10 lbs.  After a little research I realize this mount is marginal for the bare 14" CGE and not what I need for all the baggage I have added.

Advice?  Lost on what to do.

Thanks,   Tim

#2 gfeulner

gfeulner

Viking 1

• Loc: Bergen county, New Jersey

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:14 PM

http://astronomy-shoppe.com/

These people are located in New Hampshire. They repaired my CGE mount. They're a little expensive but might be worthwhile.

Gerry

#3 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:27 PM

Tim,

I'd guess you've lost a gear box (buzzing tells me that the motor is working but the gearing before the worm has broken down). If so it's a relatively easy and reasonably inexpensive repair job.

I would however also consider an upgrade to a CGEPro ... to me it's the best choice for a budget conscious upgrade. The Pro has more weight carrying capability than the CGX-L. It would be a simple drop in replacement for your CGE (well you'd probably have to lower a pier a bit as the Pro is taller overall ... but on a tripod it wouldn't be a problem) ... and you should be able to find virtually new models at a good price due to the recent end of life sale.

Edited by mclewis1, 21 April 2017 - 01:30 PM.

#4 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:42 PM

If you think back, have you heard any clicks as the scope has been slewing?

The clicks are caused by approaching bearing failure and it is possible that one of the bearings on the motor shaft has seized, but otherwise, yes, gearbox.  If it is a bearing though, bearings can be bought locally in most medium size cities.

• mclewis1 likes this

#5 tiny68

tiny68

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:53 PM

If you think back, have you heard any clicks as the scope has been slewing?u

The clicks are caused by approaching bearing failure and it is possible that one of the bearings on the motor shaft has seized, but otherwise, yes, gearbox.  If it is a bearing though, bearings can be bought locally in most medium size cities.

If it was clicking I guess I didn't notice it.  However most of the time when I set up it is with a group of kids.  They are enough of a distraction at times that I sure I would have missed.  Plus I am 3/4 deaf being a child of the 80s with a way too much stereo volume.  Not much high frequency left.

Tim

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics