•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Losmandy or Vixen dovetail with risers for sv70T ?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 42itous1

42itous1

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Wilton, CA

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:30 PM

Hi All,

It looks like I'll be getting an sv70t from Stellarvue in about 10 days. On my CGEM I have the ADM dual saddle that will accept Losmandy or Vixen type dovetails. Is the Losmandy significantly better?

The Losmandy is only $10 more than the Vixen. But if the Vixen is just as good--I would prefer the Vixen since I have another mount I may use that has Vixen rail.

So--which one should I get?

Brad

#2 bmhjr

bmhjr

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:36 PM

I had a similar decision to make.  I went with the Losmandy for no other reason than it gives me more space to attach my accessories to tidy up cabling.

• 42itous1 likes this

#3 Stelios

Stelios

Soyuz

• Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:45 PM

I very much doubt that it would make any difference for such a small scope. Just make sure you get a quality Vixen bar. Stellarvue provides an excellent one that fits very securely. The difference between it and the stock bar that came with my Celestron ED80 is night and day.

• 42itous1 likes this

#4 terry59

terry59

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado, USA

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:55 PM

I believe Losmandy style bars are superior and no longer use anything else. Here is mine

Attached Thumbnails

• _DSC3526.JPG

• Ken Sturrock, bmhjr and 42itous1 like this

#5 bmhjr

bmhjr

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:01 PM

I believe Losmandy style bars are superior and no longer use anything else. Here is mine

It was exactly this setup that showed me what I was getting from SV.  I saw it in another thread.  Thanks Terry!

• 42itous1 likes this

#6 Ken Sturrock

Ken Sturrock

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:32 PM

Like Terry, I like and have standardized on Losmandy-style plates. Having said that, one of the reasons why I like Losmandy is because I've standardized on them, so it's a bit cyclical.

On the SV-70, you could probably go either way.

• 42itous1 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics