•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Anyone with plans to view the Total Solar Eclipse? (General Info Inside)

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#51 Odin Exodus

Odin Exodus

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: NE Ohio, USA

Posted 11 August 2017 - 10:55 AM

I've put together a family vacation in Nashville for the Eclipse weekend. I'll be driving down from D.C. I'll be bringing a Lunt 60THa, a PST, a ED80, and a DSLR. Looking forward to turning my young kids, nieces, and nephews into little astronomers.

-Jim

I recently acquired a DSLR, a Canon t7i, and was wondering if I needed a filter to photograph the eclipse during totality. Any suggestions/recommendations?

#52 Stardust Dave

Stardust Dave

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: 39*N 122*.40' W

Posted 11 August 2017 - 11:36 AM

I did not have time to scroll thru the whole thread.

As far as Southeast Oregon eclipse chasers ..

Was sent a update from a club affiliate , indicating  West side of HWY 26 business loop is going to be closed Sat 9AM thru monday 5PM.

Others heard of this?.  

Edited by Stardust Dave, 11 August 2017 - 11:36 AM.

• Odin Exodus likes this

#53 grnbrg

grnbrg

Vostok 1

• Loc: Winnipeg, Canada

Posted 11 August 2017 - 11:54 AM

I recently acquired a DSLR, a Canon t7i, and was wondering if I needed a filter to photograph the eclipse during totality. Any suggestions/recommendations?

Totality (and a couple of seconds before and after, for the "diamond ring" exposures) is shot without a filter. The rest of the eclipse (all the partial phases) must be shot using a filter, or you will risk sensor damage, and the sun will overexpose anyway.

Note that "a couple of seconds before and after" is for cameras only. If you are visually observing, eye protection is a requirement at all time, with the exception of totality. Don't try to see the beads or the ring with the naked eye.

grnbrg.
  • Odin Exodus and dghundt like this

#54 dghundt

dghundt

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 11 August 2017 - 12:05 PM

I've put together a family vacation in Nashville for the Eclipse weekend. I'll be driving down from D.C. I'll be bringing a Lunt 60THa, a PST, a ED80, and a DSLR. Looking forward to turning my young kids, nieces, and nephews into little astronomers.

-Jim

No, but you'll need to have focused on a very far object just before totality to make sure it will be in focus.

The filter allows partial phase captures, but also ensures critical focus for totality when you take the filter off.

• Odin Exodus likes this

#55 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Gemini

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:36 AM

I am flying into Jackson Hole and plan to view the eclipse.  Our plan is to just walk outside the hotel and look up as we will have just over 2 minutes of totality so there is no need to drive anywhere.  One question I have for experienced eclipse watchers is this will be my first total eclipse and I am thinking of keeping it simple.   Eclipse glasses and maybe DSLR.   I have been toying with the idea of bringing along my PST and small tripod - would you do that?  I mean we have basically 1 hours waiting for totality and 1 hour after to view the partial eclipse with the PST...is it worth it? the hassle and extra weight?

Al

• Odin Exodus likes this

#56 Lukey

Lukey

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Norfolk, England, UK, 52°N

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:37 AM

Personally, I'm baffled as to why so many folk are taking along Solar telescopes like the PST. Surely, the eclipse is primarily about totality, for which the PST is useless. You can view the sun in Ha any time. Perhaps someone will enlighten me.

Anyhoo, I'll be flying from London to Denver next Tuesday, heading for Casper with a Canon 700d (Rebel T5i) and a Canon 6D. One with an 8mm Samyang fisheye for the wider landscape, plus a 300mm telephoto for various stages of the eclipse, controlled by SETnC. My second total (the last was in France in 1999).

• bunyon and Odin Exodus like this

#57 caveman_astronomer

caveman_astronomer

Gemini

• -----

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:46 AM

Personally, I'm baffled as to why so many folk are taking along Solar telescopes like the PST. Surely, the eclipse is primarily about totality, for which the PST is useless. You can view the sun in Ha any time. Perhaps someone will enlighten me.

Anyhoo, I'll be flying from London to Denver next Tuesday, heading for Casper with a Canon 700d (Rebel T5i) and a Canon 6D. One with an 8mm Samyang fisheye for the wider landscape, plus a 300mm telephoto for various stages of the eclipse, controlled by SETnC. My second total (the last was in France in 1999).

The PST is good for scoping out the prominences, so you know what to expect.  Partial phases should look good in one too.

• Odin Exodus likes this

#58 Lord Beowulf

Lord Beowulf

Vendor - Orion Ranch Observatory

• Vendors
  • Loc: Cedar Park, TX

Posted 12 August 2017 - 01:35 PM

I'd be taking a PST if I had one!  lol.gif    (Any donors?  grin.gif )  Not sure if I'd be imaging or viewing through it though...  

Beo

• Odin Exodus likes this

#59 FrenchStar

FrenchStar

Messenger

• Loc: St-Hyacinthe, Quebec, Canada

Posted 13 August 2017 - 09:55 AM

We leave by plane on the 20th from Montreal (Quebec) to Omaha (NE). We will rent a car and sleep in Lincoln on the 20th. From there, the weather will decide which way we go... Beatrice is our first choice.

• Odin Exodus likes this

#60 RonBurgundy

RonBurgundy

My goose is cooked

• Loc: Happy Gilmore

Posted 20 August 2017 - 12:12 PM

I am at the Hopkinsville Holiday Inn.  Parking lot filling up and traffic much heavier than yesterday...  Lots of festivities here, so very glad we came down.  Where in Ohio you drove from?  We came from Columbus.  Very exciting!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics