•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Solar eclipse 2017

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#26 musicengin

musicengin

Vanguard

• Loc: Western Massachusetts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 12:02 PM

I'm not going to go after the totality, too much traveling for me, but I'm going to watch it from my front yard and enjoy the pinhole shadows made by my big pine trees -- they will become crescents, dancing all over my yard. 

#27 Cliff C

Cliff C

Mariner 2

• Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 26 April 2017 - 12:31 PM

Jacquie,

You need to get on rte.17  and head south. McClellanville is the last town to have totality (2 minutes and 34 seconds. If you can make it to the next town north, North Santee you will have 2 minutes and 20 seconds of totality. The next town north, Georgetown gets between 1 minute and 40 seconds to 2 minutes even. On the northern limit, Pawley Island will have 1 minute or less.

I'll be staying and watching from just outside of Charleston, 1 minute and 53 seconds of totality for us. Like you I witnessed the March 1970 eclipse from my childhood home on Long Island, NY. It was not quite total but very impressive! I was 6 at the time.

Hope you get into the path of totality on the 21st of August.

Cliff

• jacquie likes this

#28 jacquie

jacquie

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 April 2017 - 01:56 PM

All of your descriptions are amazing. I think I will take that 2 hour drive to south CarolinašŸŒ‘
  • comprapescado likes this

#29 charotarguy

charotarguy

Apollo

Posted 27 April 2017 - 08:17 AM

Marion, IL. It will be approximately 930 miles one way journey for us, good thing kids have vacation, we are getting there earlier on the 19th. Hope that gives us some time to scout the area around. 

• jacquie likes this

#30 kfiscus

kfiscus

Baltic Birch Dob Bases

• Vendors
  • Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 28 April 2017 - 12:45 PM

Pawnee City, Nebraska.

• jacquie likes this

#31 Airlaflair

Airlaflair

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: New You, US

Posted 28 April 2017 - 01:33 PM

Hopkinsville, KY. I have my spot reserved.

Making a weekend trip of it so that if the weather gods are mean I can at least say I went to Nashville and a couple other places!

• jacquie likes this

#32 mattc_uk

mattc_uk

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 30 April 2017 - 09:17 AM

Found a great page all about weather prospects along the path of totality. Includes a color coded map - http://www.americane...ther-prospects/
  • jacquie likes this

#33 jacquie

jacquie

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 June 2017 - 12:23 PM

Cliff c yes I have a friend going to Santee
Gonna hitch a ride with them

Edited by jacquie, 07 June 2017 - 12:24 PM.

• Cliff C likes this

#34 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 10 June 2017 - 01:37 PM

I've seen 3 total eclipses, 2 annular and many partial eclipses and can say that annular and partial are absolutely nothing in comparison to the experience of a total eclipse. So it you can get to see it total - absolutely do it.

There is so much subtle stuff going during total eclipse that it may take observing more than one to get to appreciate all the effects. The last one I experienced (2009 off coast of Iwo Jima) I spent the middle 3 minutes of the 6+ minutes of totality looking at the far horizon and what the moon shadow was doing on far off cloud banks. If its your first you really should look at the solar corona and prominences - you don't see these with partial or annular eclipses

Wow, 6 minutes!!!

I plan on watching it with a 10x42 binocular. I'm bringing my 80ED to watch the partial phase, but maybe I'll have to take a little time with more power through the 80mm scope. Probably a 8-24mm zoom EP might just fill the bill as I can then see different views of it?

Darn, should have practiced it this week on the full moon! Oh well, have to do it on the sun in the morning before it gets too hot out!

#35 Steven C

Steven C

Mariner 2

• ****-
  • Loc: Lee Island Coast where it is just another day in paradise

Posted 03 August 2017 - 07:55 AM

I plan to be south of Madisonville, TN, hopefully, with one foot on either side of the center line of totality. I have written permission to use several sites just to hedge my bet. One on the center line and one <500 yards each way.

Will <500 yards south or north of the center line give a substantially different experience?  

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by Steven C, 03 August 2017 - 07:56 AM.

#36 DuDuLook

DuDuLook

Vostok 1

• Loc: Ukiah, CA

Posted 03 August 2017 - 09:42 AM

I am going to drive 10 hours to Salem, OR. It should be dark for 1 min and 56 seconds. Just 3 seconds shorter than the longest possible. Good thing brother-in-law rented a air B&B house, so no extra hotel charges. Just a little over 18 days now!

Edited by DuDuLook, 03 August 2017 - 09:43 AM.

#37 goodricke1

goodricke1

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ireland

Posted 03 August 2017 - 12:39 PM

I plan to be south of Madisonville, TN, hopefully, with one foot on either side of the center line of totality. I have written permission to use several sites just to hedge my bet. One on the center line and one <500 yards each way.

Will <500 yards south or north of the center line give a substantially different experience?  

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

No, very little difference. Check out the facts and figures near the end of this article :

https://www.space.co...n-the-edge.html

#38 Tonk

Tonk

Cosmos

• Loc: Leeds, UK, 54N

Posted 03 August 2017 - 12:46 PM

I have written permission to use several sites

"written permission" wow - what does this mean???

#39 Tonk

Tonk

Cosmos

• Loc: Leeds, UK, 54N

Posted 03 August 2017 - 12:49 PM

Not one jot. The only place that this sort of spacing might make a difference would be virtually on the grazing edge of the eclipse shadow - then you might experience 0 seconds in one side and ~1 second on the other!!! However the rough edge of the moon makes this difficult to work out exactly you should be to experience this

Just draw some chords through the near middle of a circle (or more accurately a fat ellipse) and some chords that are nearly tangents at the edge to see why

Edited by Tonk, 03 August 2017 - 12:53 PM.

#40 Gastrol

Gastrol

Apollo

• Loc: los angeles

Posted 03 August 2017 - 02:26 PM

I'm in L.A. and am thinking about driving straight up to Salem, Oregon.   But I am also getting apprehensive about Interstate 5 getting jammed with a million other motorists and paying premium gas prices.

#41 Steven C

Steven C

Mariner 2

• ****-
  • Loc: Lee Island Coast where it is just another day in paradise

Posted 03 August 2017 - 04:44 PM

I have written permission to use several sites

"written permission" wow - what does this mean???

What it means that the odd law enforcement that may think that I might be trespassing can't remove me because I have written documentation of permission to use the property for observing the eclipse.

Edited by Steven C, 03 August 2017 - 04:44 PM.

#42 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 03 August 2017 - 05:09 PM

Long Island, East of NYC.    Expect about 70%

https://www.timeandd...rk?iso=20170821

Trying to organize a 70% observing party.  

#43 Taylor

Taylor

Apollo

• Loc: Owasso, OK

Posted 06 August 2017 - 09:11 AM

Travelling to in laws house in Gallatin, TN. 58% chance of cloud cover. 

We'll be staying for several days though, so we can relax in their backyard and not deal with traffic from the crazies. 

Just purchased a Lunt Herschel Wedge for the event, fingers crossed no clouds!

#44 Bill G.

Bill G.

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Newton, NC USA

Posted 06 August 2017 - 05:34 PM

.....for all you folks driving to "totality" in SC, western NC, and TN the day of the eclipse. Be sure to give yourself plenty of time or you may be watching a partial while sitting on the interstate. That would really suck!! They are talking about "serious" traffic with people trying to get to that 60-70 mile wide swath.

Edited by Bill G., 06 August 2017 - 05:35 PM.

#45 JHollJr

JHollJr

Vanguard

• Loc: Northern Virginia

Posted 07 August 2017 - 05:44 PM

I've compromised a bit. I wasn't going to drive the 500 miles to the line of totality, but my wife started to look for places AirB&Bs somewhere along the path. She found a nice cabin in northern Georgia at a reasonable price, but it is 30 miles south of the centerline so will have only about 1 minute, 30 seconds of totality. Considering that I wasn't going to go at all, I think this will be fun if the weather holds. Even if it doesn't it will be fun, because there is a lot in the area to see and do. I suppose it might be worth while to drive the 30 miles north to see an additional minute of totality, but with predictions of traffic from Atlanta, I may just take what I can get. I've also reserved places at a local winery that has an event scheduled, but I can forego that an forfeit the payment if I so decide.

#46 lewdwig

lewdwig

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southwestern Michigan

Posted 08 August 2017 - 06:11 PM

Carbondale, IL area or SE Missouri.

#47 DonP

DonP

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:59 AM

Hi all I live in Vincennes Indiana. Thats about 130 miles due north of Hopkinsville KY on US 41.

I don't think i will go there, it sounds like Hopkinsville KY is going to be one of the Hot Spots for viewing the Grate AMERICAN Solar Eclipse.

I think i will cross the Ohio river at Evansville IN and head south west and find a spot on a 2 lane road in the middle of nowhere.

Take a cooler full of goodies and a full tank of gas and make a full day out of it.

I am not taking a Telescope, I will be shooting  a lot of still pictures with some exposer changes and HD video too.

OK i might put my Mead 102mm Refactor telescope in the trunk and maybe a small tent. One never knows where your path in life leads you.

Don

good luck

Edited by DonP, 10 August 2017 - 03:23 AM.

#48 JHollJr

JHollJr

Vanguard

• Loc: Northern Virginia

Posted 09 August 2017 - 10:31 AM

Hi all I live in Vincennes Indiana. Thats about 130 miles due north of Hopkinsville KY on US 41.

I don't think i will go there, it sounds like Hopkinsville KY is going to be on of the Hot Spots for viewing the Grate AMERICAN Solar Eclipse.

I think i will cross the Ohio river at Evansville IN and head south west and find a spot on a 2 lane road in the middle of nowhere.

Take a cooler full of goodies and a full tank of gas and make a full day out of it.

I am not taking a Telescope, I will be shooting  a lot of still pictures with some exposer changes and HD video too.

OK i might put my Mead 102mm Retractor telescope in the trunk and maybe a small tent. One never knows where your path in life leads you.

Don

good luck

This looks like a good idea. I'm taking my telescope, but don't plan to use it during the eclipse, except for tracking the partial phase. For totality, I'm shutting it down, and will probably use binoculars. I won't have much time, because I'm going to an area where totality will only last 1 min 30 sec. Roads in northeast Georgia are predicted to be clogged.

#49 3snows

3snows

Mariner 2

• Loc: Boston, MA

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:13 AM

Outside of Nashville, TN.  About 1200 miles one way.

• Bowmoreman and charotarguy like this

#50 Bob4BVM

Bob4BVM

Vanguard

• Loc: W. Oregon

Posted 09 August 2017 - 02:45 PM

To all of you who are "close" to totality but not going to it, be aware that the difference between 99%  & 100% is a complete non-starter, " apples & planets "  so to speak !

99% you'll still have enough daylight to NOT see the chromoshpere and all the color effects, it takes a dark sky to see that. 

Like someone said, 99% is like going to the ballpark, buying a ticket, and then leaving without going in to see the game.

I mention this because I know alot of people just outside the path here, around Eugene & Portland, who think it will be the same almost, because they'll get 90 or 99% totality.   Not the same, not even close

CS

Bob

Edited by Bob4BVM, 09 August 2017 - 02:46 PM.

• Don W, JHollJr and Calypte like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics