•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Solar eclipse 2017

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#51 Djarum

Djarum

Viking 1

• Loc: Huntsville, Al

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:13 PM

I'm only about 100 miles from totality. I can't get off work, and it will be my luck that it will be cloudy.

#52 Bob4BVM

Bob4BVM

Vanguard

• Loc: W. Oregon

Posted 10 August 2017 - 02:13 PM

I'm only about 100 miles from totality. I can't get off work, and it will be my luck that it will be cloudy.

TEHO, however...

If I were in your place, I would be 'sick' that day   

...VERY sick  smile.gif

Edited by Bob4BVM, 10 August 2017 - 02:15 PM.

• comprapescado likes this

#53 Skylook123

Skylook123

Cosmos

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:49 PM

Agate Fossil Beds National Monument, Nebraska.  About a year and a half ago, some of us who do a lot of public outreach started checking National Parks, Monuments, and Recreation Areas for opportunities.  Although we live in Tucson, right now we're on an annual trip to Ohio to look in on my wife's 97 year old mother and Agate Fossil Beds National Monument is on the drive home, since we go through Colorado Springs to visit grandkids on the way back.  We'll be working with the Rangers at the Monument with public support and hands-on demos prior to the event.

This will be our second total eclipse, and one annular we did with the Rangers at Grand Canyon National Park in 2012.  It's fun to share the experience.

Edited by Skylook123, 10 August 2017 - 08:50 PM.

• musicengin and comprapescado like this

#54 grtyvr

grtyvr

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Vancouver BC

Posted 17 August 2017 - 11:50 PM

Echoing a few of the preceding posters, I can concur that witnessing a totality in a clear sky is unlike anything else that you will ever experience and by contrast even viewing a 95-97% partial is absolutely nothing. I've seen 4 total, 1 total/annular, and 1 annular eclipse over the years, each one in a clear sky and the events I witnessed - and that are not even hinted at during deep partial eclipses, are amazing.

Just to offer a somewhat incomplete rundown of the unique phenomena one experiences, once passed the 90% phase you notice that your surrounding take on an increasingly very strange even unearthly aspect. The overall color of the landscape grows increasingly yellowish, while shadows become very sharply defined, along with everything around you. At around the 95% phase a light breeze will often spring up and by 98% everything around you has become very dull and dark. If you glance to your west you see that the sky itself is growing strikingly dark in that direction, like some approaching yet cloudless thunderstorm and this "darkness" can be seen to be rising slowly ever higher in the western sky! 

After 99% you note that all the sounds of nature - birds, animals, insects - have all ceased and the light itself is rapidly going out of the sky, itself having become bluer than you've ever seen it before. In last 45 seconds before the onset of totality even the breeze dies out and everything is silence! Nearly all viewers, no matter how experienced, report a chill of primitive fear run up their spine as the light in the sky and terrain dies out as if someone were turning down a giant rheostat. Looking at your surrounding may show errie rippling bands of light and dark racing across the ground, or on the walls of buildings. A glance to your west shows a gigantic dark mass in that portion of the sky. It can be seen moving upward higher and higher in the heavens literally from moment to moment! Its leading edge grows very sharp and in the last seconds before totality it appears as if an enormous dark drapery is being drawn across the heavens...and as it touches the sun the eclipse is total!

Now I'm going stop here to leave you first-timers hanging and not describe the wonderous sights you will behold in the following minutes within totality and spoil your fun, but the events of totality are even more amazing than the run up before it...especially if you can force yourself away from looking only at the eclipsed sun and turn yourself around full circle every 30 seconds, or so, to see what's happening. 

BrooksObs 

SPOILER ALERT!

#55 grtyvr

grtyvr

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Vancouver BC

Posted 17 August 2017 - 11:54 PM

Anyone going to be near Long Creek, OR?  That is where I am headed.

#56 Bob4BVM

Bob4BVM

Vanguard

• Loc: W. Oregon

Posted 18 August 2017 - 01:24 AM

Anyone going to be near Long Creek, OR?  That is where I am headed.

Ah, little Long Creek !

I wonder if the little café is still there, they served the best sourdough flapjacks breakfast...

I will be staying home since I am lucky enough to have almost 2 mins from here.

By Wednesday we hope to be headed to east to John Day for a week of elk hunting, provided the eclipse crowds have cleared out of there by then !  :)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics