•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Are Brandon eyepieces worth the money ?

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#126 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted Today, 02:12 PM

Good to know he's still around. 

#127 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

• Loc: Terra Nova Observatory

Posted Today, 03:12 PM

I have the 32, 24, 16, 12, and 8mm black thread-in Brandons with my Questar. The 24 and 16mm Brandons came with it and continue to be my most used, but since the Questar is basically a self-contained grab-and-go/travelscope system, i do find them all useful in that context. The 32mm gives the widest field and lowest power and is useful for clusters and for star-hopping in conjunction with the built-in finder. The 12mm and occasionally the 8mm (my least used) are reserved for planetary and double-star observing, especially when seeing is exceptionally good. I started with the 24mm an 16mm and gradually over time acquired the rest (used). Given the Questar’s built-in barlow, the 12mm and 8mm are more or less redundant unless I want to barlow them. I use the Brandons exclusively with it. The only Brandon that I had before my Questar is a very old silver original Chester Brandon 32mm from the late 1940s. Brandons are very good, sharp, contrasty eyepieces. I would rate them up there with very good orthos. However, if I didn’t have a Questar, I would just stick with my good old circle T volcano-top orthos. In short, I think of them as pretty much, a ‘Questar thing’.

Edited by terraclarke, Today, 03:17 PM.

• mikeDnight likes this

#128 nicoledoula

nicoledoula

Apollo

Posted Today, 05:31 PM

The Brandons have more eye relief than their counterpart plossls if that helps 25585. 32 should have plenty for you and the 24mm flat top probably as well.

Edited by nicoledoula, Today, 05:32 PM.

• Doug Culbertson and 25585 like this

#129 Diana N

Diana N

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Omaha, Nebraska

Posted Today, 05:40 PM

I love my Brandons, but they are definitely at their best in longer focal length scopes (which many of today's most popular scopes are not).

#130 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted Today, 06:06 PM

The Brandons have more eye relief than their counterpart plossls if that helps 25585. 32 should have plenty for you and the 24mm flat top probably as well.

Good to know. I like my 48mm which is a gem to look at, like liquid glass, as well as look through.

The Astronomics flat top 24mm photo shows the eye lens us recessed, but the other photo shiws the eyd lens near its barrel top. The latter is what I want....

Attached Thumbnails

• 20112 (1).jpg
  • brandon24.jpg

#131 ckwastro

ckwastro

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Tempe, AZ

Posted Today, 07:02 PM

Late to the thread. I only have the 48mm but it’s worth every cent. Great in my Mewlon 210, which is f/11.5. Contrast, clarity and color purity are excellent. Works well in my Stowaway too but it’s extremely low power and I don’t use it much in that scope. I recommend using them in f/7 or slower. 

• 25585 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics