•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How are you preparing for the total eclipse?

ATM astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#26 PirateMike

PirateMike

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: A Green Dot On A Blue Sea

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:32 AM

I had bought a solar filter some time back for this occasion.

I will just be in the backyard having my 82y/o mother view the eclipse through my scope. She has never seen a solar eclipse, and this will most likely be her only chance.

Some times the simple experiences are better than the most extravagant production.

• polaraligned and charotarguy like this

#27 kfiscus

kfiscus

Baltic Birch Dob Bases

• Vendors
  • Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 02 May 2017 - 12:19 PM

I'm taking my 75-yr. old mother to see her first total this summer.  Who knows?  Maybe our moms can see the one in 2024, too.

• txmnjim, PirateMike, charotarguy and 1 other like this

#28 Stardust Dave

Stardust Dave

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: 39*N 122*.40' W

Posted 02 May 2017 - 08:28 PM

No plan other that to be on or near centerline 24 hours ahead of the eclipse.

Binos and small telescope with white light filter.

Accommodations? ,Live out of the minivan for a few days.  Winging it 100%

Mom will be at home in Nor Cali with her eclipse glasses viewing partial phases. 

#29 PPO

PPO

Vendor - PrecisionPro Optics

• Vendors
  • Loc: Big Island, Hawaii and Owens Valley, CA.

Posted 03 May 2017 - 04:32 AM

I was in Thailand for the 1995 TSE. I left Bangkok the day before and stayed overnite near the edge of totality, town of Lop Buri. Had I waited the day, I never would have seen it. It was a total gridlock traffic jam. We just barely made it the few miles to within the southern path edge, after a few hours "driving", and settled for about a minute of totality in the middle of the "parking lot" which the highway had become! Actually, the highways had all turned one-ways, all lanes, so the few strange people who had to go opposite were forced to drive on shoulders or on peoples front yards! Total bedlam.

Now fast forward to 2017, the internet age, 300M people have heard about it and planning to go. What calamity will befall those on the highways? Woodstock will be nothing in comparison...

Its funny, I remember a lot more about this surreal mass of humanity all going in the same direction, than the TSE itself!

Edited by PPO, 03 May 2017 - 04:46 AM.

#30 PirateMike

PirateMike

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: A Green Dot On A Blue Sea

Posted 03 May 2017 - 09:00 AM

I'm taking my 75-yr. old mother to see her first total this summer.  Who knows?  Maybe our moms can see the one in 2024, too.

Let's hope so. flowerred.gif

• don clement likes this

#31 wrvond

wrvond

Surveyor 1

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 03 May 2017 - 09:56 AM

Well, it seems my plans have changed a bit. My bride and I will be pulling our little camper down to Nashville the day before and camping in my brother's driveway. My Orion glass solar filter arrived in the mail yesterday, and I'm waiting to play with it this weekend.

I have also installed the Solar Eclipse Timer on my phone and tablet.

Next I have to locate a source for some glasses. Any suggestions?

#32 don clement

don clement

Vendor (Clement Focuser)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Running Springs, California

Posted 03 May 2017 - 10:03 AM

I was in Thailand for the 1995 TSE. I left Bangkok the day before and stayed overnite near the edge of totality, town of Lop Buri. Had I waited the day, I never would have seen it. It was a total gridlock traffic jam. We just barely made it the few miles to within the southern path edge, after a few hours "driving", and settled for about a minute of totality in the middle of the "parking lot" which the highway had become! Actually, the highways had all turned one-ways, all lanes, so the few strange people who had to go opposite were forced to drive on shoulders or on peoples front yards! Total bedlam.

Now fast forward to 2017, the internet age, 300M people have heard about it and planning to go. What calamity will befall those on the highways? Woodstock will be nothing in comparison...

Its funny, I remember a lot more about this surreal mass of humanity all going in the same direction, than the TSE itself!

Yep best to be prepared to adapt to current conditions. Back in June 2012 for the transit of Venus I thought it would be a simple trip up to Children's Forest @ 7.5K ft elevation  about 5 miles away from my home. Normally in June it's clear up here in the San Bernardino mountains. On the day of the transit it was totally overcast on the mountain. So I  drove down the mountain and out the 10 and then highway 62  towards Joshua Tree. Only got to the  Yucca Valley  and set up in the parking lot of the California welcome center. Got some good pics of the transit. Would have never happened if  I was not willing to adapt to changing conditions though. 

IMG_5455-web.jpg

• Pinbout and PPO like this

#33 PPO

PPO

Vendor - PrecisionPro Optics

• Vendors
  • Loc: Big Island, Hawaii and Owens Valley, CA.

Posted 03 May 2017 - 04:03 PM

Right, based on past experience in Thailand, I am more concerned about the logistics of getting in and out of the path, and surviving the bedlam that may happen there - people stuck without food, gas, water, etc. Rather than what equipment I will take with me.

Coming from central CA, the obvious place for us is central Oregon, also the best clear sky prospects. BUT, everyone from Vancouver to LA, 100M people know the same thing and have the same idea! There's basically just one main highway up to that area from us, Hwy 395. Is this going to be feasible or what?

• Darren Bly likes this

#34 don clement

don clement

Vendor (Clement Focuser)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Running Springs, California

Posted 13 May 2017 - 05:57 AM

I have been preparing for the eclipse by doing Surya Namaskar sun salutations daily. This week on the full moon I did the moon salutation Chandra Namaskar. 

Namaste

Ring around the Moon ~Elephant Revival https://www.youtube....?v=jd57MRcW-NQ 

Edited by don clement, 13 May 2017 - 06:14 AM.

• ccaissie likes this

#35 ccaissie

ccaissie

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Whitefield, Maine

Posted 14 May 2017 - 09:53 AM

I have been preparing for the eclipse by doing Surya Namaskar sun salutations daily. This week on the full moon I did the moon salutation Chandra Namaskar. 

Namaste

Now that's what I call participation.

#36 MitchAlsup

MitchAlsup

Skylab

• -----

Posted 14 May 2017 - 08:08 PM

Starting to think about what I need for the upcoming eclipse. 

a) Case of wine

b) Streaming: Dark Side of the Moon 

c) Picnic table with food

d) good company

e) camera, lenses, tripod

• REC likes this

#37 foxwoodastronomy

foxwoodastronomy

Vendor - Solar Eclipse Timer

• Vendors
  • Loc: Alabama

Posted 14 May 2017 - 08:58 PM

Well, it seems my plans have changed a bit. My bride and I will be pulling our little camper down to Nashville the day before and camping in my brother's driveway. My Orion glass solar filter arrived in the mail yesterday, and I'm waiting to play with it this weekend.

I have also installed the Solar Eclipse Timer on my phone and tablet.

Next I have to locate a source for some glasses. Any suggestions?

wrvond,

I am glad you got my app, Solar Eclipse Timer.  Please play with the functions ahead of time.

Obviously, the GPS Geolocation is simple on eclipse day, just two taps and you are ready to time.  What I mean is, have you played with the Partial Phase Image Sequence Calculator?  If you are going to be in Nashville on Central Time, set up your phone for your coordinates manually on the GPS screen, load the contact times and they go to the Settings screen and calculate your partial phase sequence times.  Go to my website and print out the PPISC Worksheet and then you can write down your times.

Also, please do the first demo program after you set up your phone to go to screen lock in 30 seconds.  I want you to be aware of how the Notifications happen to remind you to have the app open if your phone goes to lock on eclipse day.

Read all of my Demystifying Eclipse Photography " posts.  Post any questions here.

https://www.cloudyni...success-step-1/

Thanks,

Gordon

http://www.solareclipsetimer.com

Edited by foxwoodastronomy, 14 May 2017 - 09:01 PM.

#38 allardster

allardster

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted 14 May 2017 - 10:32 PM

I'll will have just landed outside the path of totality on New Foundland. A family evnt preventing me form chaing total eclipse. I am bringining my Ed Jones solar projector and make a show at the aiport.

As for preparing, check out this video.
https://youtu.be/oDV_e2N3AYQ
A lot about planning and preparing for solar eclipses and photography. Preparation an practice before hand will make the best out of your time during the eclipse. With some time to spare to just enoy. It's a talk at our local astronomical society (RASC).

#39 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:07 AM

Going to Astrocon in Casper  Wyoming https://astrocon2017.astroleague.org/

For preparation I am using a Max Bray 5" Mak-cass with Baader filter and Canon T3i camera at prime focus. This setup has worked really well on the  mercury and venus transits, lunar eclipses, and partial solar eclipses in the past. Also working on a Honda CRV  AWD for camping for this trip. The CRV worked  out very well on a trip to Yosemite a few weeks ago. Got 30 MPG on that trip.

IMG_9221_zps3hoh76kt.jpg

Awesome view, awesome picture! On my bucket list!

#40 Rob medic

Rob medic

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: KY USA

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:30 AM

The first part of totality I plan on watching naked eye, but the last minute I will be using my 8" newt with an infrared camera mounted on top.

#41 rogue river art

rogue river art

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Grants Pass,Oregon

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:32 AM

Right, based on past experience in Thailand, I am more concerned about the logistics of getting in and out of the path, and surviving the bedlam that may happen there - people stuck without food, gas, water, etc. Rather than what equipment I will take with me.

Coming from central CA, the obvious place for us is central Oregon, also the best clear sky prospects. BUT, everyone from Vancouver to LA, 100M people know the same thing and have the same idea! There's basically just one main highway up to that area from us, Hwy 395. Is this going to be feasible or what?

395 will probably be a parking lot on the day of the eclipse,you may have to plan 2-3 days ahead. I'm heading up maybe 2 days before in a small RV with food and water,AC and a generator. I will be able to stop any place. I'm bringing a grab an go scope with a filter so I can move if the clouds are in. I will plan on going to BLM land. 

#42 Bob4BVM

Bob4BVM

Vanguard

• Loc: W. Oregon

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:08 PM

395 will probably be a parking lot on the day of the eclipse,you may have to plan 2-3 days ahead. I'm heading up maybe 2 days before in a small RV with food and water,AC and a generator. I will be able to stop any place. I'm bringing a grab an go scope with a filter so I can move if the clouds are in. I will plan on going to BLM land. 

Yup, off-highway/off-road is my plan as well, if the clouds force a move from my house which is very near centerline.

I already have some mountain backwoods spots scoped out should the need arise. I can get to any of them by dawn.

But hoping to just kick back at home and enjoy the event with family & friends here, + a big BBQ afterwards, with copious home-brew.

CS

Bob

• REC and charotarguy like this

#43 ShaulaB

ShaulaB

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 20 May 2017 - 09:33 PM

We have a cabin reserved in a park near Augusta, Missouri for Aug. 20-21. No travel before the eclipse will be very relaxing. Driving home may take hours, as it's 2-lane country roads, and half a million people will be out in this zip code to see the event.

Bringing with us:

• An EZ-up canopy, because we will be sitting around outside in 95 degree, 90% humidity weather for hours. Late summer here is brutal. Plus folding chairs.
  • Bug spray, sun screen, King/Queen of the desert hats
  • 2 cases of bottled water, bags of ice, with lots of food and snacks to share with others who did not think ahead
  • Husband will run our Lunt, and our C-8 with a Thousand Oaks filter. He will do video from a DSLR attached to a scope, fed to a tv. He used this set up for the most recent Mercury transit, and it turned out fine. Plus 100 feet of orange extension cord.
  • I will do projection with a classic Dob.
  • By August 21, we should still have 100 or so safe solar viewers to hand out to large families. We bought a large number of viewers last year when they were cheap.

Let's pray for clear skies. Any anti-rain dances?

Amy W

• Vesper818 likes this

#44 CCDMan

CCDMan

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oregon, USA

Posted 21 May 2017 - 10:23 AM

I am stepping outside my back door to my observatory. I live under totality.

I have a permanent setup so have a filter for my FSQ 106 and will be putting my 5D Mark II on the back. It has an ideal FOV for the cororna plus a bit. During totality I will whip off the filter and take a whole set of bracketed shots with the Canon. I will alos run a wide field landscape time lapse with my wife's Sony a7r.

Edited by CCDMan, 21 May 2017 - 10:26 AM.

#45 APshooter

APshooter

Skylab

• Loc: Camby, In.

Posted 23 May 2017 - 06:40 PM

I have my entire rig setup for mobile imaging.  I'm using a RIGID toolbox to carry a 75ahr batter and 1600w sine wave inverter.  It will power my MYT mount and Canon 80D camera via 110v and 48v.  12v To Hinode solar guider and 5v to the ZWO 170MM camera.  Have made 4 successful test runs so far, 4 hrs ea.  Only one run on the portable battery so far, however.  Lots of clouds here in Indiana, so not much chance of testing back to back.  SETNC software for the eclipse white light imaging, Firecapture for Ha thru the Lunt LS 50. 

#46 sporadic

sporadic

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Moncks Corner, SC

Posted 30 May 2017 - 01:08 PM

I plan on keeping it simple using a 300mm camera lens.  Designed and printed a filter holder for the Cokin P filter system using Thousand Oaks Solarilte film, posted a thread in the DIY section here.

34557744570_c157c987c9_b.jpg

Filter on Canon EF 300 F/4 IS by smerrick, on Flickr

This is pretty heavily cropped. My main goal is capturing corona shots and there's plenty of room in the full frame for it.

34134700833_33271752f7_b.jpg

First try with DIY Solar Filter by smerrick, on Flickr

Edited by sporadic, 30 May 2017 - 01:09 PM.

• T2J2 and charotarguy like this

#47 T2J2

T2J2

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 June 2017 - 11:24 PM

Using two items.  Maybe three. Its got to be a no brainer.  Two maybe the limit!  But do not fiddle with electronics during the Total part of the show. got to experience it with the ultimate camera (Eyes) and ultimate Hard drive (Memory).

1. Amped up Sunspotter.  Have a viewing sheet made of a Projector screen. And a Wifi camera mounted out the way of the viewing hole pointed down at the Viewing deck.  I can capture the whole event or take multiple timed pictures to role into one panoramic pic.

2.) Coronado PST with a Wifi Mount and Camera / w two IPADs.  

Practicing now.  Captured my first ever image (Of anything not of this earth) of the Sun last week..  NOT great mind you but enough to see faint prom's! For a Rookie its a Grand Slam.  Just caught a pic of the crescent moon and Venus together with my Cell phone.  Again not bright but I got it!

As for lodging West coast, moving in on Friday and heading back north monday after the event. (Secured reservations July 2016) 

Note to anyone who has reservations, Please keep monitoring your reservations. Some are cancelling peoples res and then upping the price for the next desperate people. Find a reputable hotel or car camp. I hear its Hot in Madras Or.   I will not be there.

Maybe a small camera with a Sun filter.  Got Welding goggles, Shade 14. And some small ones just in case someone forgets.

Bellevue, Wa - TJ

Edited by T2J2, 07 June 2017 - 11:24 PM.

#48 T2J2

T2J2

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 June 2017 - 11:27 PM

Hey Liftoff, Nice Job!  

#49 LesB

LesB

Soyuz

• Loc: Z-Hills, FL

Posted 18 June 2017 - 01:16 AM

I bought just enough stuff to guarantee an overcast sky.  May attempt EP projection with the 10" that might be a stretch.  I done it EP projection with lunar and had good results, but I've never done solar.

Orion AstroView EQ Mount & EQ-3M Motor Drive Kit for the camera.

Full Aperture (Solarlite) for Meade 10" cass
Solar Viewer Glasses
Threaded Camera Filters, (77mm) 
Threaded Camera Filters, (86mm)

Canon 400mm

Tamron 200-500mm

Still have to get some good weather here in FL to practice with this stuff.

#50 johnpd

johnpd

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Green Valley, AZ

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:58 AM

What are you attempting to image with the 10" and eyepiece projection? What is the focal length of your scope? How large of a field does that give you?

JohnD

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ATM, astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics