•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Where Are You Observing TOTALITY During Aug 21, 2017 Eclipse?

moon solar
  • Please log in to reply
286 replies to this topic

#276 Lord Beowulf

Lord Beowulf

Vendor - Orion Ranch Observatory

• Vendors
  • Loc: Cedar Park, TX

Posted 19 August 2017 - 10:30 AM

Things are looking pretty marginal here in Grand Island/Kearney, NE area.  Arrived last night to mostly clear but very hazy skies.  Planetary observing was awful, but the dark skies were pretty great for everything else.  The forecast on Monday is still hanging at partly cloudy, although Tuesday is predicted clear.  If it would just shift up a day!  Clear sky chart is not looking good for Sunday evening.  I'm going to make another post specific to the topic, but anyone in the area who'd like to get together, let me know.

Beo

Edited by Lord Beowulf, 19 August 2017 - 10:33 AM.

#277 caveman_astronomer

caveman_astronomer

Gemini

• -----

Posted 19 August 2017 - 10:46 AM

good thing the eclipse isn't today...   

attachicon.gif20170813.2200.goes15.vis.x.wash_oregon.x1.jpg

On ~13th to 14th the weather was good in many other areas along the path.  Too bad the eclipse wasn't on that day?

#278 kdenny2

kdenny2

Mariner 2

Posted 19 August 2017 - 11:52 AM

Didn't have a reliable means of transportation with my original St. Joseph plans, plus the weather forecasts started turning sour, so I've decided to cancel my flight and Air BnB. I'm heading to south-central Tennessee now, staying the night tomorrow at a relatives in NE Georgia. Might actually just watch the eclipse from Georgia if wx looks good there.

Edited by kdenny2, 19 August 2017 - 11:53 AM.

#279 stubeeef

stubeeef

Viking 1

• Loc: NW NC

Posted 20 August 2017 - 08:04 AM

My daughter and I just repositioned to Gallatin Tennessee because of the forecast in South Carolina and the forecast here is awesome. Out of curiosity if anybody on here lives in this town and has some floorspace for our air mattress love to hear from you LOL

#280 Jeff Gardner

Jeff Gardner

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 20 August 2017 - 08:12 AM

Andrews, NC

I'm a few miles down the road from you between Murphy and Marble NC. Staying at the Hampton Inn and observing at Creekside Campgrounds where my brotherinlaw is camping. Staying out of the madness in Murphy. 

#281 tk421

tk421

Sputnik

• Loc: Knoxville, TN

Posted 20 August 2017 - 08:20 AM

Crossville TN grocery stores have been run through like there is a blizzard on the way. 

#282 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• Loc: Stamford, Connecticut

Posted 20 August 2017 - 08:23 AM

We're now planning on going to Andrews SC tomorrow. Hopefully we don't get stuck in traffic.

#283 stubeeef

stubeeef

Viking 1

Posted 20 August 2017 - 08:03 PM

Please Lord, give me 2:39.2s of clear skies at 1:27:25pm in Gallatin TN.

I promise to be nice to others the entire time!

• Bowmoreman, Starman81 and Augustus like this

#284 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

• Loc: Wimberley, TX

Posted 20 August 2017 - 09:29 PM

Those visiting Tennessee should know that TDOT has mandated there can be NO lane closures during eclipse day and before/after due to traffic concerns. Also, for those near Knoxville, Sweetwater, Cleveland, etc., Roane State Community College in Harriman (short drive from Sweetwater) will be have a viewing party with plenty of acres to spread out on.

Tell TDOT to "check" that statement with the reality I JUST experienced today (hours ago) in Chattanooga... ;)

That said, I am seriously glad we are HERE

#285 BCNGreyCat

BCNGreyCat

Mariner 2

• Loc: Virginia, USA

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:28 AM

Clear sky all the way at Volunteer State Community college at Gallatin. Wonderful staffs on site.

#286 Lord Beowulf

Lord Beowulf

Vendor - Orion Ranch Observatory

• Vendors
  • Loc: Cedar Park, TX

Posted 27 August 2017 - 11:00 AM

Clear sky all the way at Volunteer State Community college at Gallatin. Wonderful staffs on site.

I was doing the "Even if I don't deserve clear skies, surely at least ONE of the hundreds of people that were going to be where I was deserved to see the eclipse!" prayer.  Heck, worked for Abraham!  smile.gif 

Beo 

#287 stubeeef

stubeeef

Viking 1

Posted 27 August 2017 - 11:56 AM

Hey he did it, clear as a bell well before and after, and I was nice the entire time. Not anymore of course, but for that time of clear sky I was!

Funny a photo editor from Scientific America sat with us and lots of pics of my daughter and our sun funnel made it into their feed.

https://www.instagra...ken-by=dame.liz

https://www.instagra...ntific_american

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: moon, solar

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics