•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Where Are You Observing TOTALITY During Aug 21, 2017 Eclipse?

moon solar
  • Please log in to reply
286 replies to this topic

#26 Charles Funk

Charles Funk

Ranger 4

• Loc: W. Tennessee

Posted 06 May 2017 - 09:08 AM

Anywhere from Paducah Ky. to Nashville Tn.  Depending on cloud forecast.

Interesting to see that a few will be at or near LBL (Land Between the Lakes), FYI there is an astro group there, WKAA (West Ky. Amatuer Astronomers) based at Golden Pond Observatory that will probably be glad to take on any visitors. I haven't decided yet if I will be there or drive a little further N to Eddyville which is centerline for the event. Assuming clear skies...

Edited by Charles Funk, 07 May 2017 - 05:53 AM.

• Rickycardo likes this

#27 randalloverby

randalloverby

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: North Carolina

Posted 06 May 2017 - 09:58 AM

We will be in Gaston SC which is about three hours from the house. If the clouds move in then somewhere on I-26.

#28 Hudson NY

Hudson NY

Lift Off

Posted 06 May 2017 - 10:50 AM

I'll be outside Midvale Idaho on a ranch with friends as well. 2:10 totality.

I'll be attaching my wife's Iphone 7 to my Pronto and shooting it in 4K video. Meanwhile I'll be looking at it in binoculars- 6X 42 Sards. 

Lessons learned from the last one, where I spent too much time getting snapshots on a camera, and only a few seconds actually looking at it. Not this time.

Michael

#29 Don W

Don W

Founding Member

• Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 06 May 2017 - 12:23 PM

Same here, took some great pics and vids in 1991, but wish I had spent more time looking at the eclipse and the area around me. I'll have a Lunt 50 and a C5 with white light filter for the partial phases and 9X63 binos for totality, but no real plans for imaging.

#30 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 06 May 2017 - 06:38 PM

campground near St Joseph

-naked eye

-solar glasses

-15x50 binoculars with filters

edj

#31 SteveInNZ

SteveInNZ

Viking 1

• Loc: Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 06 May 2017 - 07:11 PM

I'm heading down to Ashville NC, about 6 hrs from me but I'll make a weekend out of it. Not going to be complete totality for me unless i drive another 2 hours. But it will be pretty close.

Watching a partial eclipse versus a total eclipse is like listening to a rock concert from the parking garage.

+1
... or standing outside the Smithsonian.

Location A - Rendezvous Mountain, Tetons
Location B - Astrocon, Casper Wyoming
Location C - Follow Fred Espenak from Location B

Steve.

#32 Exo

Exo

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Wayout, West

Posted 07 May 2017 - 03:51 AM

Basecamp: Ontario, Oregon.

Leisurely accommodations and "facilities" (totality 1 minute, 30 seconds)

The local micro-climate and morning cloud cover patterns will dictate our "eleventh hour" decision to Go Mobile! ...travel to one of three nearby optimum sites, to gain another 40 seconds of totality:

• Primary site: Lime, Oregon on I-84, there is an exit and some side roads for the old mining ghost town. On the center line. (totality 2 minutes, 10 seconds) Travel time: 40 minutes.
  • Secondary site: Mann Creek State Park, Idaho, along Hwy-95. (totality 2 minutes, 10 seconds) on the center line. Travel time: 1 hour.
  • Tertiary site: Near Unity, Oregon, on Route 26. (totality 2 minutes, 6 seconds) near the center line. Travel time: 2 hours.

The path of the eclipse in this area cuts through the cusp of a crazy zig-zag line between Pacific Time Zone and Mountain Time Zone, so we are carrying a UTC clock to keep us on schedule.  Malheur County is the only county in Oregon that is on Mountain Time Zone. When traveling on I-84, the time zone boundary is just south of Lime Oregon. Beware, some cell sites may automatically set your phone to the wrong time in this area smile.gif

"Be Mobile! Mobility, Mobility, Mobility!"
-Fred Espenak, talking about his #1 item on

Strategy for Successful 2017 Eclipse Viewing

https://www.youtube....utu.be&t=53m50s

"It's tempting to pick a particular location and say, "That's where I'm going to watch the eclipse."

"No, that's your starting point."

"Go there, do the scenery, enjoy whatever options there are for that particular locale, but then watch what the weather is doing. Check the weather forecast. Go online to some of these websites and see the weather."

"You've gotta be paying attention. Have internet access from your hotel. See what's going on."

"And be ready to drive, maybe 500 or 700 miles. It'll be worth it though."

-Fred Espenak, NEAT video.

Goin' Mobile!

I can pull up by the curb
I can make it on the road
Goin' mobile!
I can stop in any street
Invitin' people that we meet
Goin' mobile!
Keep me movin'

-The Who-

Edited by nmoushon, 22 May 2017 - 07:26 AM.

• Mcaustin2004 likes this

#33 tau neutrino

tau neutrino

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Virginia, USA

Posted 07 May 2017 - 06:36 AM

I'm looking at sites in east Tennessee. I'm researching state parks now. Any suggestions? I'm not planning to overnight at a park.

Living along the east coast, I'm not optimistic bout the cloud situation.

#34 DLuders

DLuders

Soyuz

• topic starter
  • Loc: Spokane, WA

Posted 07 May 2017 - 06:52 AM

In order to be "mobile" and be prepared to move, recommend seeing the detailed road accessibility map on this CloudyNights Forum topic, "Solar Eclipse 2017 Logistics": https://www.cloudyni...s/#entry7867529

• Exo likes this

#35 tchelo

tchelo

Lift Off

Posted 07 May 2017 - 08:02 AM

I'll be in Gallatin, TN. 2 min 40 sec of totality...!

• SUN RA KAT, Apercu and heribertom like this

#36 bobruben

bobruben

Explorer 1

• Loc: Urbana, IL

Posted 07 May 2017 - 02:49 PM

The plan is Ozark, IL, but who knows?

For the last eclipse, I was on the ocean, we had a meteorologist telling the captain where to go. On land in Southern Illinois positioning away from clouds won't be as flexible.

#37 roody91

roody91

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 May 2017 - 06:06 PM

I will be somewhere in the vicinity of Madras, Oregon. I am traveling with a group from NJ on a photography workshop, so we will be visiting the Columbia Gorge, Cannon Beach and a few waterfalls and ending the trip in the high desert of Eastern Oregon. 

I am bringing a TV-76 to photograph the whole eclipse and am planning to use Solar Eclipse Maestro to take care of all the photography while I enjoy watching it with my own eyes.

#38 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

• Loc: New Orleans, LA

Posted 07 May 2017 - 06:42 PM

3 of my friends and I will be viewing the eclipse from or near Jefferson City, MO, the state capital.  From our motel, which was booked a long time ago, totality will last about 2 minutes and 20 seconds.  If we travel north about 20 miles, we can squeeze about another 15 seconds or so out of totality.  Certainly a lot depends upon the weather and we are prepared to travel laterally along the eclipse path as much as  200 miles in either direction.  Because of that we have not made hotel reservations for a night on the way back home because our route home depends upon from where we view the eclipse.  We do have one overnight on the way up to Jefferson City in southern Missouri.  Interestingly I see that there will be a "Pink Floyd" tribute band in Jefferson City doing a Dark Side of the Moon concert the night before the eclipse.

At this point one of the hardest things to try to plan for (or around) besides alternate plans in the event of bad weather is to decide just what kind of crowd you want around you for the eclipse.  Don't get me wrong, a reasonable sized gathering is good because it adds to the excitement and the experience.  We had that on the 1991 eclipse cruise and it put electricity into the air, however those were mostly all amateur astronomers working their own plan and we had over 7 minutes of totality.  The danger in being in a large gathering of people, many of whom are clueless, could cause problems ------standing right in front of your equipment, asking for looks thru a telescope or lens that has a camera on it in the process of taking exposures, accidently bumping equipment, etc., etc.  I would almost rather be invited to view the eclipse from a fenced backyard of a fellow amateur astronomer in Jefferson City, MO.  Hint! Hint!

Anyway, best of luck to all and practice, practice, practice your plan!

Barry Simon

Note in respect to an earlier post - going to Asheville where the eclipse will be partial.....having seen many partials, one total (Mexico in 7/91) and one annular (southeast Louisiana in 5/84), there is absolutely no comparison.  You should make every effort to see totality, you will never regret it.  If you stay in Asheville, you will always regret not driving a bit further.

Edited by BarrySimon615, 07 May 2017 - 06:56 PM.

#39 Hbgdispatcher

Hbgdispatcher

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Carlisle PA

Posted 07 May 2017 - 06:50 PM

Base "Camp" will be Charleston S.C. where we have a place rented for the week - hoping to be able to stay in the area along the coast just north of there close to the center line, clouds permitting.

#40 deadmeat

deadmeat

Lift Off

• Loc: Illinois, USA

Posted 07 May 2017 - 06:55 PM

I will be in Makanda, IL.. and am part of the Eclipse Megamovie Project.  If you're going to be in Totality check out their website:

https://eclipsemega.movie/

Edited by deadmeat, 07 May 2017 - 06:59 PM.

#41 roustabout

roustabout

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 07 May 2017 - 07:04 PM

I'm heading down to Ashville NC, about 6 hrs from me but I'll make a weekend out of it. Not going to be complete totality for me unless i drive another 2 hours. But it will be pretty close. 

please - plan the extra driving!  close doesn't count for totality, it really isn't the same.  

I understand that UNC Asheville is currently not planning to take the day off so staff and students can get to totality.  this decision is over the objections of the science faculty and everyone on campus who's ever seen an eclipse.

I know one person in Asheville who's currently planning to fly to Boise - the weather is more favorable than in the path of totality in the Carolinas.

#42 Don W

Don W

Founding Member

• Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 07 May 2017 - 07:24 PM

During the 1991 eclipse in La Paz, Baja, Mexico, waiters brought around buckets filled with bottles of Corona beer on ice for the hotel guests. I though it was quite appropriate ;)

• bunyon and Augustus like this

#43 Jwemes

Jwemes

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Wickenburg, AZ

Posted 07 May 2017 - 07:53 PM

East of Arco, Idaho, and West of Interstate 15........unless we need to chase daytime suckerholes.

John W (Wickenburg, AZ)

• SpaceConqueror3 likes this

#44 Lord Beowulf

Lord Beowulf

Vendor - Orion Ranch Observatory

• Vendors
  • Loc: Cedar Park, TX

Posted 07 May 2017 - 11:52 PM

I'll be at one of these locations, depending on the weather forecast a few days before:

blog.orionranchobservatory.com/?p=568

Beo

#45 The_Pantocrator

The_Pantocrator

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 08 May 2017 - 08:30 AM

I live in Rochester NY and plan to drive to Knoxville TN the weekend before. We are going to take a long weekend a make a mini vacation out of it. I'm quite excited, I have always wanted to see a total.

#46 Douglas Matulis

Douglas Matulis

Vostok 1

Posted 08 May 2017 - 01:37 PM

I am planning on heading toward the midpoint area which is about 5 hours south of me near Carbondale IL.  However, I will be watching the weather very closely and will adjust locations as necessary to avoid getting clouded out.  That could mean aborting to Kentucky or Missouri. Been waiting for this since 1979! Hope that is a good strategy.

Thanks,

Doug

#47 ed_turco

ed_turco

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lincoln, RI

Posted 08 May 2017 - 02:25 PM

I speak from great experience; "pretty close" is not good enough.  The magic happens only at totality.  For a partial eclipse, you may as well stay home.

Attached Files

• Vesper818 likes this

#48 Billflyer

Billflyer

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 09 May 2017 - 04:15 PM

North of Shoshoni, WY

#49 jpelli

jpelli

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Pacific, MO 63069

Posted 10 May 2017 - 08:24 AM

We will be watching the eclipse from our home in Pacific, MO; 2 min. 13 sec. of totality!

#50 overnight

overnight

Vanguard

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 10 May 2017 - 09:09 AM

Idaho Falls!

• SpaceConqueror3 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: moon, solar

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics