•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Where Are You Observing TOTALITY During Aug 21, 2017 Eclipse?

moon solar
  • Please log in to reply
286 replies to this topic

#51 my-spot

my-spot

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: South East Michigan

Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:06 PM

Specifically we plan to be at Dickinson Park  at the northeast corner of Ocean Lake near Riverton, WY... It is part of the Ocean Lake Wildlife Habitat Management Area and is pubic land so there are no issues with trespassing on tribal land, etc. We will be staying with friends in Cody and driving down that morning.

https://wgfd.wyo.gov...whmas/ocean.asp

#52 JERoof

JERoof

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Concord, NC

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:05 AM

I will be at the Pisgua Astrological Research Institute in NC.  There will be 800 guests including 300 amateur astrologists. NASA will have 2 teams there including AEROKATS members. They will be sending up a high altitude balloon with payloads to produce live video and still images from near space, approximately 90,000 feet to study the eclipse. We will get to see the launch and view the images on a live NASA TV stream. This will be the only place in world where the eclipse will occur directly over two 26-meter radio telescopes, a 4.6 meter radio telescope and a 12 meter radio telescope. Plus about 11 other optical telescopes. Needless to say, as a new amateur I am totally looking forward to this event.

• REC likes this

#53 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

• Loc: New Orleans, LA

Posted 11 May 2017 - 12:04 PM

"300 amateur astrologists" or 300 amateur astronomers?  If you mean astrologists as in "Astrology", that is quite a bit different than astronomers as in "Astronomy".  "Astrology" tends to leave a sour taste in our mouths.  99.9 %, give or take a few percentage points are astronomers here on CloudyNights.  Astrology is, for the large majority of us - Make Believe.

Barry Simon

• Scott99 and ed_turco like this

#54 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

Posted 11 May 2017 - 12:12 PM

Note, I googled your Pisgua Astrological Research Institute and found that you likely meant the Pisgah Astronomical Research Institute.  So I assume you also meant astronomers too.  My apology for sounding a bit harsh, but mention of the word astrology makes me bristle.  I hate it when new members of our club mistakenly use the word astrology when they mean astronomy almost as much as I hate hearing those radio commercials about the International Star Registry.flame.gif

Barry Simon

• ed_turco, Aquarellia and AUricle like this

#55 overnight

overnight

Vanguard

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 11 May 2017 - 02:32 PM

I will be at the Pisgua Astrological Research Institute in NC.  There will be 800 guests including 300 amateur astrologists. NASA will have 2 teams there including AEROKATS members. They will be sending up a high altitude balloon with payloads to produce live video and still images from near space, approximately 90,000 feet to study the eclipse. We will get to see the launch and view the images on a live NASA TV stream. This will be the only place in world where the eclipse will occur directly over two 26-meter radio telescopes, a 4.6 meter radio telescope and a 12 meter radio telescope. Plus about 11 other optical telescopes. Needless to say, as a new amateur I am totally looking forward to this event.

*Astronomy, not astrology!

• SteveRosenow likes this

#56 JERoof

JERoof

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Concord, NC

Posted 11 May 2017 - 04:24 PM

Ok did we all get that out of our system now? :-). I told you I am new and my autofill type assist didnt throw a flag in my typing.  Guess I need to read a little clearer.  But nice to know that was the biggest takeaway from my location.  

#57 overnight

overnight

Vanguard

Posted 11 May 2017 - 05:10 PM

Ok did we all get that out of our system now? :-). I told you I am new and my autofill type assist didnt throw a flag in my typing.  Guess I need to read a little clearer.  But nice to know that was the biggest takeaway from my location.  

Sorry about that. We here are quite *allergic* to astronomy being called astrology. I've been to outreach where people call this hobby astrology and everyone immediately corrects them.....

Anyways back to the solar eclipse...

Edited by overnight, 11 May 2017 - 05:12 PM.

• JERoof likes this

#58 Gandalf223

Gandalf223

Ranger 4

• Loc: Willamette Valley, Oregon

Posted 12 May 2017 - 12:34 AM

I think my neighbor's sweetgum tree obstructs the view from my back yard, so it looks like I'll be in the front yard.  Something like 1:59 of totality IIRC.

• Vesper818 likes this

#59 stubeeef

stubeeef

Viking 1

• Loc: NW NC

Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:30 AM

I live in NC, I have been awarded my vacation that week luckily, and will decide based on weather forecasts 48hrs prior. I lived in Guam in the early 90s when we had an eclipsed sunrise but remember my astronomy cousins in Hilo missed it for overcast skies. 

This has been a #1 on my bucket list for over a decade, so we will pack out and take minimal equipment-dont want any distractions just layback in a yard lounger and be in AWE.

So SC, Tenn, or more west all based on Weather Forecasts.

#60 Tom Laskowski

Tom Laskowski

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: South Bend, Indiana, USA

Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:58 AM

I have a cousin in Dubois, WY, another in Douglas, WY, a friend in Omaha (not on the path but a short drive to it), another in Marion, IL and another in Greenville, SC. I have plenty of choices but am looking at positioning myself in Missouri or Nebraska but I'll go all the way to Oregon if I have to.

Tomorrow, Saturday May 13 is T minus 100 days!

#61 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

Posted 12 May 2017 - 07:39 AM

I think my neighbor's sweetgum tree obstructs the view from my back yard, so it looks like I'll be in the front yard.  Something like 1:59 of totality IIRC.

Looks like the Sun's altitude during totality in Oregon will range from just under 40 degrees in elevation at the Pacific coast to about 44 degrees in elevation at the Oregon - Idaho state line.  Maybe your back yard may work, given some pre-eclipse planning.  If using a mount with Go-To you could set up and plug in the eclipse date and time and follow the arc of the Sun (even though the Sun will not be there - you could do this tonight) for the entire time frame of the eclipse from first contact to 4th contact to see if that sweetgum tree gets in the way.  Otherwise, there is always "Mr. Chainsaw"!shocked.gif     <<<<<<Just kidding.

Barry Simon

#62 PXR-5

PXR-5

ISS

• Loc: NC

Posted 12 May 2017 - 07:42 PM

I'll be on my front porch in NC, hopefully it won't be a blowing rain, so I can keep somewhat dry...
  • REC likes this

#63 corduroy

corduroy

Mariner 2

Posted 12 May 2017 - 08:25 PM

My family and I will be camping at the Madras, OR Solarfest fairgrounds.  My 7 yr old son and I will be driving up from San Diego with filters, AT72ED, C8Edge, mounts, solar panels and 100 Ahr LiFePO4 solar generator. 5 othe family members are flying in from NY to join this epic event.  I plan to image at night with a DSLR and use eclipse orchestrator to image the eclipse.  I am still debating on a Ha scope or Quark.   I'd also love to stream the eclipse live on Facebook using a Ricoh Theta 360 deg camera.  I know the quality won't be great but It would be cool for my friends and family to see.

Edited by corduroy, 12 May 2017 - 08:27 PM.

#64 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

Posted 14 May 2017 - 09:42 AM

As I said in a previous post, we (me plus 3 other members of my club) will be at the Fairfield Inn in Jefferson City, MO.  We are prepared to move up or down the eclipse path depending upon the weather starting early on the morning of the eclipse. We have not talkied about outright canceling our reservation in Jefferson City based upon weather just yet, however, being realistic I can see some scenarios where that could happen.  While we have not discussed in length a firm limit to how far we are willing to travel, I have in conversation talked about moving 200 miles in either direction.  No matter which way we go we will have to deal with major metropolitan obstacles with Kansas City to our west and St. Louis to our east.  Assuming that we do have to move due to weather we will be competing for highway space and observing space with who knows how many other eclipse chasers.

The Fairfield Inn, which is a Marriott property, has a 24 hour advance cancelation policy.  I am not sure how this might be affected due to the eclipse (change in policy).  I am sure there will be a lot of disruption along the eclipse path by multiple cancelations wherever the forecast is not good.

At our club meeting on Friday night we had a returning club member who we had not seen in about 30 years.  He is as obsessed by the eclipse as Captain Ahab was obsessed by the white whale.  Over the past 40 years he has attempted to see 6 total solar eclipses and he is batting .500, having been clouded out for 3 of them.  He is determined to see this one.  He showed us his list of motel reservations made stretching across the west from Idaho to eastern Nebraska.  For the night before the eclipse he has made 5 or 6 reservations.  As he is spending a full month out west there are additional reservations for nights before the eclipse and nights after the eclipse.  Needless to say, there will be many reservations that will be canceled.  As we have already heard via other posts, there are others doing this, maybe many others.  Clear skies in one place will result in canceled reservations somewhere else where the weather forecast is not good.  Sunday night, August 20th, may go down in US history as the night with the most hotel/motel cancelations as the eclipse crosses the entire country from west coast to east coast!

Barry Simon

Edited by BarrySimon615, 14 May 2017 - 11:12 AM.

#65 Apercu

Apercu

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Blue Ridge Mountains of Virgina, USA

Posted 14 May 2017 - 10:43 AM

I'll be viewing the eclipse in Gallatin, TN unless the weather doesn't cooperate.

• SUN RA KAT likes this

#66 WillCarney

WillCarney

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Bloomington, ILL

Posted 14 May 2017 - 11:16 PM

I have some relatives that live in Johnston City.  I'll set up in their back yard.  I will be able to set my mount up a day or two before to get alignment perfect.  It's just north of the center line so it's a little shorter in time but still visible.

#67 Zebenelgenubi

Zebenelgenubi

Messenger

• Loc: Texas, USA

Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:44 PM

I will be at the airport in Alliance Nebraska in the western panhandle.  Historically high probability of clear skies in August.

• Darren Bly and JimMo like this

#68 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:41 AM

The OKC Astronomy Club is among several co-sponsoring the big public event at Rosecrans Airport in St. Joseph, Missouri. We are chartering buses for an overnight drive up Sunday night and return Monday evening. So far first bus is about full and we hope to transport up to 90 club members and guests.

#69 Darren Bly

Darren Bly

Viking 1

• Loc: Bakersfield, Ca

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:39 AM

I will be at the airport in Alliance Nebraska in the western panhandle.  Historically high probability of clear skies in August.

Alliance was my second choice. 

#70 ed_turco

ed_turco

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lincoln, RI

Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:18 PM

I remarked earlier in this thread about partial eclipses being not much compared with the magic of totality.  In that post I attached a work that I wrote immediately after a total eclipse seen from Arisaig, Nova Scotia in 1972.

Over the years I've shown this piece and gotten a resounding THUD after each presentation.

What did I do wrong?  Doesn't anyone read anything I write any more?  Was it that bad and folks are holding their noses?  I've been puzzled and a bit discouraged by this reception.

I can only hope that someone will write something better so I can see how it is supposed to be done.

Ed Turco

#71 ed_turco

ed_turco

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lincoln, RI

Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:31 PM

Is anyone able to tell horror stories about hotel rates being jacked up for this eclipse? 

Urban legends need not apply.

Ed

#72 goodricke1

goodricke1

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ireland

Posted 16 May 2017 - 03:17 PM

I remarked earlier in this thread about partial eclipses being not much compared with the magic of totality.  In that post I attached a work that I wrote immediately after a total eclipse seen from Arisaig, Nova Scotia in 1972.

Over the years I've shown this piece and gotten a resounding THUD after each presentation.

What did I do wrong?  Doesn't anyone read anything I write any more?  Was it that bad and folks are holding their noses?  I've been puzzled and a bit discouraged by this reception.

I can only hope that someone will write something better so I can see how it is supposed to be done.

Ed Turco

That style of writing appeals to me personally, but I fear others might perhaps find the piece somewhat overblown and pretentious. It strives to be great literature, but genuine eloquence needs to flow naturally while avoiding the strained artificiality derivative of false similes and forced metaphors. But it certainly further increases my desire to witness a total eclipse.   

#73 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

Posted 16 May 2017 - 04:41 PM

Our words cannot describe, but recordings of others can.  Do not forget a tape recorder if you do not have a video camera.  One advantage of observing a total solar eclipse in a crowd is hearing the excitement build to a high level as totality begins.  A tape recording will convey what you are trying to express.

Barry Simon

#74 rowanredbeard

rowanredbeard

Lift Off

• Loc: Oakland, CA

Posted 16 May 2017 - 05:41 PM

Casper, WY.  Probably south of town in the county park where there will hopefully be a might fewer people and more space for the scopes than in the middle of the intersection downtown.

• Graeme5959 likes this

#75 Matthew Ota

Matthew Ota

Hmmm

• -----
  • Loc: Phoenix, Arizona

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:01 PM

With family and friends in Hopkinsville, Kentucky. Flying in from Los Angeles. If cloudy, will move to where it isn't

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: moon, solar

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics