•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Edmund Scientific Telescopes Experiences

• Please log in to reply
183 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Rini

Paul Rini

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Cherry Hill, NJ 08002

Posted 07 May 2017 - 03:03 PM

Some time ago while I was helping Edmund Scientific arrange 3 of their giant warehouses of optics at the Barrington, New Jersey retail store, I came across two other Astroscan prototypes which never seen the market, catalog or any place except for Edmund's museum. While every body knows the familiar one ball red type there were two other designs. I tried to buy these from the Edmund family but they said they were for their museum which contains every Edmund Telescope ever manufactured still in their unpacked boxes plus ones that are for display. Also, that day I didn't have a camera to picture them to relay to everyone. In this forum I will include a picture of the Famous Red one ball Astroscan and at the same time draw pictures which will show the scale of the other two Astroscan Telescope Reflectors.

The included picture shows the Edmund 1977 (original first manufactured has an early time/date) one ball design and the other two were focal ratios of F/6 and F/5. Starting with the F/6 there were 3 balls to the bottom of the telescope with each ball getting smaller in diameter and then the straight tube just like the one ball design. The F/5 design had 2 balls at the telescope's bottom with each ball getting smaller in diameter and then the familiar straight tube which held the 1.25" focuser. On all 3 telescopes, the bottom ball which rests on the aluminum base has the same large diameter. They all had the similar Edmund 4 1/4" diameter full thickness pyrex primary mirror optics and the front optical window with each particular f/ratio scope having the correct size minor axis secondary mirror and secondary support system exactly like the F/4 model. Also, these 2 Astroscan telescopes had the same die cast plastic housings and the same cast aluminum bases except the only difference was the color scheme which was Meade Blue. The drawings are almost finished and will be added shortly.

• tim53, BarabinoSr, licata and 6 others like this

#2 DLuders

DLuders

Soyuz

• Loc: Spokane, WA

Posted 07 May 2017 - 04:02 PM

I remember that Edmund Scientific conducted a contest to name the telescope that ended up being the "Astroscan".  My contest entry ("Star Decanter") was not selected.  smirk.gif   

• Terra Nova, Ben Bajorek and Chuck Conner like this

#3 petert913

petert913

Skylab

• Loc: Silverton, OR

Posted 07 May 2017 - 04:17 PM

"Star Spitoon" ??  :)

• Terra Nova and Ben Bajorek like this

#4 Richard O'Neill

Richard O'Neill

Vanguard

Posted 07 May 2017 - 04:49 PM

I seem to recall that Norman Sperling wanted to name it, 'Pregoscope', or something like that.

• Augustus likes this

#5 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 07 May 2017 - 05:14 PM

Some one here came up with "StarJar"  which I would have voted for. AstroScan is way too close to Asstrocan. Those last two are anagrams of each other and I do mix them up.

I have one of the very early ones with serial number well under 1000, on the gray colored base. Like the VW Beetle, they all look the same to most, but there subtle differences to the discerning collector/appreciator. My Japan Carton has the best optics of all the ones I've had, and it's pretty darn nice.

• Augustus likes this

#6 mattyfatz

mattyfatz

Gemini

• Loc: Boise Idaho

Posted 07 May 2017 - 09:06 PM

2107689-IMG_0190.JPG

Here is my Astroscan next to one of its intended successors. The Edmund 6001.  Asthetically more pleasing to the eye than the Astroscan, and optically excellent. But the table top mount was a poor design, and the 63mm aperture can't compete with the newtonians 4" mirror.

• akman1955, Bomber Bob and Joe1950 like this

#7 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Gemini

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 08 May 2017 - 09:25 AM

I find the mount on the Voyager very usable to 125x or so with a bit of shimming with felt or Teflon tape in the azimuth bearing surface but what the heck weren't they thinking by making the forks too short to get to zenith and too narrow to clear the focuser knobs!  It runs out of elevation around 70 degrees or a bit under.

The other bit of amusement is the spring loaded tension under the base for azimuth was a stack of galvanized washers and a tapered rubber stopper that looks like what you use connecting a toilet tank to the wall.  Actually it is just that, that's what I replaced the old dried up one with when I cleaned up mine.

Dave

Edited by davidmcgo, 08 May 2017 - 09:25 AM.

• mattyfatz likes this

#8 Paul Rini

Paul Rini

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 May 2017 - 02:06 PM

Being only 8 miles north of Edmund Scientific then I got to go to the store every chance I had since 1965 and in 1966 Norman Edmund taught me how to build a reflector telescope and Norman even cut the brass tube for me. There were so many experiences I had with the Edmund store/family that the Astroscan Prototypes seemed to be the best to share. The forum would be good for Your Experience but maybe it would be good to enter a new forum Title.  Clear skies, Paul

Edited by Chuck Hards, 09 May 2017 - 12:10 PM.
OP request

• licata, KentTolley, Terra Nova and 2 others like this

#9 Paul Rini

Paul Rini

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 May 2017 - 05:17 PM

Just an extra word being around the Edmund Store.....a year or 2 ago Edmund didn't renew the 25 year patent for the Astroscan so Bushnell was ready to go as soon as midnight hit. Clear skies, paul

• Augustus likes this

#10 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Northern Kentucky

Posted 09 May 2017 - 08:38 AM

Just an extra word being around the Edmund Store.....a year or 2 ago Edmund didn't renew the 25 year patent for the Astroscan so Bushnell was ready to go as soon as midnight hit. Clear skies, paul

:(

#11 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

Posted 09 May 2017 - 12:01 PM

Thread title changed per OP request.

• TOM KIEHL and Joe1950 like this

#12 Paul Rini

Paul Rini

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 09 May 2017 - 12:33 PM

The 6001 has the best achromat since it was really a government designed lens system. As for the alt-azimuth mount, I inserted a bronze bushing cemented into the base with 2 part steel epoxy and then just used a regular large bolt for the center shaft. This made the movement easier but the base still need extra Teflon pads just like a base of a dobsonian. The mount is super performance now. 

• Joe1950 and Augustus like this

#13 bremms

bremms

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SC

Posted 09 May 2017 - 02:32 PM

Here is my Astroscan next to one of its intended successors. The Edmund 6001.  Asthetically more pleasing to the eye than the Astroscan, and optically excellent. But the table top mount was a poor design, and the 63mm aperture can't compete with the newtonians 4" mirror.

Smokes the Astroscan except on faint fuzzies.

• Augustus likes this

#14 Dave Trott

Dave Trott

Ranger 4

Posted 09 May 2017 - 05:46 PM

Thanks for starting this thread, Paul. Your reminiscences are wonderful, especially coming from a legendary figure such as you!

The 6001 was not the only one! Here is a thread about some of the varieties of the 60mm f/6 refractor:

https://www.cloudyni...model-6008-wow/

• Paul Rini likes this

#15 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 09 May 2017 - 07:02 PM

My favorite Edmund experiences are the ones I have with my souped up, now red 1962 Edmund 4" F15 refractor, one of my favorite telescopes!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0533.JPG

• albert1, clamchip, mdowns and 6 others like this

#16 Dave Trott

Dave Trott

Ranger 4

Posted 09 May 2017 - 10:02 PM

Paul has requested links to my Edmund videos so here they are:

Edmund 4 inch scopes:
https://www.youtube....-kshUjV-g&t=11s

Astroscan:
https://www.youtube....cOU12eyG78&t=2s

Small Edmund Telescopes
https://www.youtube....h?v=RXHdFwMifxk

The Edmund Satellite Scope is one of the more common versions and is shown in this video:

https://www.youtube....FxKHR7_2qs&t=4s

Edited by Dave Trott, 09 May 2017 - 10:07 PM.

• Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and Joe1950 like this

#17 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 10 May 2017 - 11:35 AM

This may have been the first Edmund catalog sent to me, there may have been

a few before it, its from 1969 I was 12 at the time.

It is the very catalog Edmund sent to me, not a copy, its the very one I spent

much of my time dreaming about the 4" Refractor.

I have a 1967 Sky & Telescope and the 'send for your free catalog' were cut out

from the  Edmund, A.Jaegers, and Unitron ads.

It was the Edmund 4 inch that captured my heart, and its been love ever since.

Robert 

Edmund 210.JPG

Edited by actionhac, 10 May 2017 - 11:41 AM.

• licata, mattyfatz, Terra Nova and 4 others like this

#18 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 10 May 2017 - 12:07 PM

You were young & wise, Robert.  I was young & dumb.  I never considered the Edmund refractors -- thought they were ugly compared to the Japanese imports (especially the Mayflower models -- THAT's the catalog I drooled over).  Looking at that Edscorp page, my parents would've paid $150 or so to buy me the 3" model -- IF I'd been smart enough to ask for it...

• clamchip likes this

#19 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:40 PM

Besides the 4" Cass I'm working on, were there other odd-ball Edmund scopes that show up once in a blue moon??

#20 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 10 May 2017 - 03:45 PM

Um, sure Bob.  I have the 8" reflector with original large pipe threaded pier/mount.  I think it's great that there was the Deluxe Space, the Super Space, and then just the 8" never named.  It could have been the Deluxe, Super, and Outer. I'd have voted for that.

• clamchip, Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#21 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 10 May 2017 - 06:45 PM

I like Super Duper Deluxe myself! :lol:

#22 mattyfatz

mattyfatz

Gemini

• Loc: Boise Idaho

Posted 10 May 2017 - 11:57 PM

Smokes the Astroscan except on faint fuzzies.

Not in my side by side tests. Some people just don't like to admit it when a reflector out performs a refractor. The 6001 is definitely sexier on the shelf though.

#23 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 11 May 2017 - 06:41 AM

I have never seen a 6001 personally but I think the base/mount is absurd. The scope itself tho is really cool. I would love to have one and if I did, I would put a clamshell and ADM shortrail on it and use it on a UA Dwarfstar mount and photo tripod.

• mattyfatz, TOM KIEHL and Joe1950 like this

#24 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:53 AM

Some people just don't like to admit it when a reflector out performs a refractor.

I don't mind the comparisons, BUT they MUST be Fair.  No my 6" Newt trounces a 4" refractor.  No my hand-made Newt beats an Off-The-Shelf refractor.  Equal aperture, equivalent cost per inch, same session, same target(s), same magnification.  IME, given those requirements, I haven't seen a typical reflector beat a typical refractor -- but my collection doesn't include every model of each ever made (nor will it!).

• mattyfatz likes this

#25 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:27 AM

Equal aperture? What about equal effective aperture. The Newtonian has a central obstruction that the refractor does not.

• starmason likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics