•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

If you could own only one scope, and a refractor ..... ?

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#51 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 08 May 2017 - 11:38 AM

If we're talking about the "golden years" time period (who came up with that term anyways?), I would stick with my SW120ED.  It is lightweight for its size and the views are great.  A 130mm apo would be better perhaps, but it would no doubt be heavier and therefore less desirable for me. 

• Crow Haven likes this

#52 Kent10

Kent10

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 May 2017 - 11:53 AM

I am 53 years old and have been thinking about the sad day I may find my Tec 180FL difficult to mount.  I exercise and do small weight lifting so that I am able to manage the Tec as long as possible.  I figure if I observe every day I can, I am also getting good exercise just mounting the scope and carrying all my accessories.  I tell my wife and 2 children that I exercise for them so I may be around a long time but it is really for my scopes......  OK, of course, it is for both reasons!

Once I can no longer manage the Tec 180, I wonder if I will then try to get assistance to use it or find a way to keep it more permanently outside or just use my TV-140 more.  It is a Petzval design and gives beautiful flat views and is not too bad on the moon and planets.  It is only 15 pounds and very well-balanced because it is a Petzval.  It is very easy for me to manage and works quite well on lighter mounts.  I really enjoy using it.  Even the brighter DSO are enjoyable.

Attached Thumbnails

• P6179820 (Medium).jpg
  • P6179818 (Medium).jpg

• Scott Beith, Illinois, hersey0308 and 8 others like this

#53 Kent10

Kent10

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 May 2017 - 11:55 AM

The TV-140 is the middle scope.

Attached Thumbnails

• P4124368 - Copy (Medium).jpg

Edited by Kent10, 08 May 2017 - 11:58 AM.

• Scott Beith, Illinois, waso29 and 3 others like this

#54 Scott99

Scott99

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: New England

Posted 08 May 2017 - 12:14 PM

Due to orthopedic problems I faced a 25-pound maximum lift restriction as a young man in my 20's.  I decided at that time my favorite 25-pound scope was 6" apo.  You can ease the setup burden by going with a simple alt-az like Kent, but that one deadlift of the OTA weight remains.   I like using the Mach1 EQ mount because it splits in half and gets me below the 25-pound limit, a DM6 or T-rex alt-az head is under the limit too.

I've always thought when the 160 becomes too much I'll step down to a TEC140.  Or maybe even a lighter 6-inch, my AP160 is ~30 pounds.  I think the FS152 tubes are 22 pounds, some are even lighter.  

actually the 160 is often too much for my arthritis now, my "B" scope is a 120mm apo on a Tak Teegul mount.  Under dark skies it's a good DSO instrument, the heaviest component is only 12 pounds.  

Edited by Scott99, 08 May 2017 - 12:37 PM.

• doctordub and BigC like this

#55 Sasa

Sasa

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Ricany, Czech Republic

Posted 08 May 2017 - 02:00 PM

For me, this would be a light 4in doublet. Something like my former SW ED100 or Tak 100 DL.
  • kkrepps, Bomber Bob and Joe1950 like this

#56 Headshot

Headshot

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Vancouver, WA

Posted 08 May 2017 - 02:32 PM

Ideally ... a 40-inch, f/18.6 Alvan Clark refractor. wink.gif

Realistically, a TEC160FL.

Headshot

• Scott99 likes this

#57 Nippon

Nippon

Soyuz

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 08 May 2017 - 02:36 PM

If I could only own one scope and one refractor....I would choose to leave this cruel world.

Anyone know the times and locations of the refractor anonymous meetings?

• Jon Isaacs, doctordub and Scott99 like this

#58 Alan French

Alan French

Night Owl

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 08 May 2017 - 05:44 PM

The 24-inch Clark at Lowell.

Clear skies, Alan

• Rollo and kkrepps like this

#59 daquad

daquad

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 May 2017 - 07:19 PM

Well, one scope AND a refractor.  My 6" APM ED doublet is about my limit for hefting a scope to the mounting rings.  I work out on a regular schedule, so the scope weight is not, and should not, be a problem for many years to come.  But I still like a larger aperture for those globs, nebulae and planetaries.  So a 10 -inch Newt on an equatorial is my other scope.  Weighs 10 pounds more than the 6" APO, but I don't have to lift it over my head.

• precaud likes this

#60 seasparky89

seasparky89

Ranger 4

• Loc: Springfield, VA

Posted 08 May 2017 - 08:35 PM

If I had to have only one scope, and it had to be a refractor, I guess I'd opt for a 102-110 triplet APO. I could (and most importantly, would) use it well into my senior years due to its relatively light weight, yet reasonable aperture. The mount could be relatively light and portable. I could do visual, live video and astrophotography. I do come somewhat close here with my ED-110, so I have some user experience with this size scope, and it's all positive.

Stan

#61 Colin exraaf

Colin exraaf

Ranger 4

• Loc: Australia

Posted 08 May 2017 - 09:14 PM

An Istar 8" f/15 thank you very much......flowerred.gif

Col....

Edited by Colin exraaf, 08 May 2017 - 10:51 PM.

#62 dagadget

dagadget

Viking 1

• Loc: Avon Park, Florida

Posted 08 May 2017 - 09:19 PM

If I could have one scope and the refractor I would have an SCT 11 Edge HD on a AVX or better mount and the AT 130EDT refractor on the AVX. One scope and a refractor that is what I would have. But in the meantime I would stay with the Nexstar 8 SE and the AT 130 on the AVX

#63 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 08 May 2017 - 09:26 PM

Lots of nice responses.  

What got me thinking is that I am 61+yo now and am looking at retiring soon (hopefully in 2 years).

We have been making life changes to get ready ... sold/downsized the house last year, moved to a location that is more

elderly-friendly.  

My commute is killing me .. ~1hr each way  ... and I'm really starting to feel every pound of scope I have to lift as well.

Also, I'll be on a fixed income in a few years and I think my days of horse-trading scopes will be mostly behind me.  

I want to be done and settle in with a lifer scope (Hah!).

I've always been a one-scope guy and have taken to refractors (apos) ... for pure visual use.  My AT130 has been an awesome scope.  I bought it last Nov/Dec and to be honest, the optics have been way better than they have a right to be, given the price.

So this has been a thought experiment as I look for forwards towards my "golden" years.  

I think the sweet spot for me is around 130mm.  

Wow, your post sounds exactly like me... Too much commute time, and work stress

But I'm about 5 years behind you.

The good thing about the commute is having plenty of time to contemplate what scope[s] I'd like to have when it's time to downsize.

At this point i'm thinking either a good 10 inch Dobsonian, and a NP101, or maybe a C8 and my TMB130...

Steve

Edited by stevew, 08 May 2017 - 09:45 PM.

#64 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 08 May 2017 - 09:28 PM

And these days, after 30 plus years of observing, If I can't see it from a dark sky in a good 10 inch, I'm not that interested in it.

Steve

• Sockrateez likes this

#65 Zamboni

Zamboni

Apollo

• Loc: Colorado Springs

Posted 08 May 2017 - 10:41 PM

If money were no object, I would choose a TEC160FL. It's big, oil spaced for fast cool down, and doesn't exceed my luggability tolerance. And it gives BREATHTAKING views.

#66 Far Star

Far Star

Ranger 4

• Loc: Germany

Posted 09 May 2017 - 03:23 AM

My Takahashi FC-100 DC. The weight of the OTA is only 2.8 kg, and the quality of the fluorite doublet is fantastic.

• Sasa and StarDust1 like this

#67 CSG

CSG

Apollo

• Loc: Dark Sky, Idaho

Posted 09 May 2017 - 03:46 AM

Probably the TV-85, maybe the NP-101.  However, I had an NP and sold it.  I *have* the 85.

#68 sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk

Ranger 4

• Loc: Minnesota / United Arab Emirates

Posted 09 May 2017 - 04:57 AM

What would it be?

I don't understand this question. Define "own". Do you mean possession? Or are we talking about legal title? ;) 

Do I have any friends on this deserted fantasy island and can they have a scope?

Is there a NEAF on the island? What about a shop? 

Shawn

• Joe1950 likes this

#69 Messyone

Messyone

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 09 May 2017 - 05:46 AM

It's gotta be big, so my idea of astronomical nirvana is a 9" f15 on a mount I built...steampunk all the way.

• Allan Wade likes this

#70 kkrepps

kkrepps

Vostok 1

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 09 May 2017 - 07:36 AM

It can't be too big or I'll never get out and use it. I'm only visual observer so a doublet is fine for less weight, less cost, and quicker cool down. So I'll go with something like the Stellarvue Access 102. A 4" is probably a good size for me that I'll use frequently. Plus I know I'll get good optics, good mechanics, and good tech support from the company. 

• stevew likes this

#71 DaveTinning

DaveTinning

Ranger 4

• Loc: Eastern England

Posted 09 May 2017 - 03:17 PM

Lots of nice responses.  

What got me thinking is that I am 61+yo now and am looking at retiring soon (hopefully in 2 years).

We have been making life changes to get ready ... sold/downsized the house last year, moved to a location that is more

elderly-friendly.  

My commute is killing me .. ~1hr each way  ... and I'm really starting to feel every pound of scope I have to lift as well.

Also, I'll be on a fixed income in a few years and I think my days of horse-trading scopes will be mostly behind me.  

I've always been a one-scope guy and have taken to refractors (apos) ... for pure visual use.  My AT130 has been an awesome scope.  I bought it last Nov/Dec and to be honest, the optics have been way better than they have a right to be, given the price.

So this has been a thought experiment as I look for forwards towards my "golden" years.  

Hi Rob

Our paths are uncannily similar: I'm 61 too ( born Feb 56), hope to retire by end of 2018, just downsized house in March, I have over a one hour each way commute plus further travel for work..

I've thought for a long while that a good 5" refractor hits the sweet spot as an all rounder scope. And just 2 weeks ago I was lucky enough to acquire my own dream "does it all" scope, a mint Tak FS128 F8 apo..I haven't even had first light yet, due to bad weather where I live, but I know it will thrill me and keep me busy with lunar, planets, doubles and clusters, ie those objects that interest me most. I will never afford a better scope in its aperture so I can stop looking at other scopes now and just enjoy observing.

It seems to me that your current scope might well fit all your needs, health permitting, for another 15 years. 

Whatever you decide, I wish you a long, healthy and starry retirement!

Dave

• John Huntley likes this

#72 John Huntley

John Huntley

Mercury-Atlas

• ***--
  • Loc: SW England

Posted 09 May 2017 - 04:08 PM

I feel a bit guilty - I retired at 51 blush.gif

I've used all 4 of my fracs on successive nights under the decent skies we have been blessed with recently in this part of the UK and I'd be mortified if I had to pick between them right now undecided.gif

Tonight it's the turn of the Tak FC-100DL cool.gif

• DaveTinning and T1R2 like this

#73 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 09 May 2017 - 04:11 PM

TOA-130 would win for overall visual + AP use. For AP only, FSQ106EDX.

#74 NHRob

NHRob

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southern Cloud-Hampshire

Posted 09 May 2017 - 06:10 PM

I've owned a TOA-130 before.  Too front heavy and, too heavy in general for my liking.

Maybe for AP but, for purely visual I would look elsewhere.

• Far Star likes this

#75 NHRob

NHRob

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southern Cloud-Hampshire

Posted 09 May 2017 - 06:14 PM

Lots of nice responses.  

elderly-friendly.  

Hi Rob

Our paths are uncannily similar: I'm 61 too ( born Feb 56), hope to retire by end of 2018, just downsized house in March, I have over a one hour each way commute plus further travel for work..

I've thought for a long while that a good 5" refractor hits the sweet spot as an all rounder scope. And just 2 weeks ago I was lucky enough to acquire my own dream "does it all" scope, a mint Tak FS128 F8 apo..I haven't even had first light yet, due to bad weather where I live, but I know it will thrill me and keep me busy with lunar, planets, doubles and clusters, ie those objects that interest me most. I will never afford a better scope in its aperture so I can stop looking at other scopes now and just enjoy observing.

It seems to me that your current scope might well fit all your needs, health permitting, for another 15 years. 

Whatever you decide, I wish you a long, healthy and starry retirement!

Dave

Dave,

I am jealous.  I've always wanted to try a FS-128 but, have never seen one.  I've owned a few FS-102s. FC-100s, and an FS-152 but the 128 has eluded me.

To me, it's the perfect size/aperture.  I hope you keep it and enjoy it for many years.

• DaveTinning and dagadget like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics