•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

KStars 2.7.7 is released for Windows, Mac, and Linux

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#1 knro

knro

StellarMate

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Kuwait

Posted 08 May 2017 - 03:03 AM

I'm glad to announce the release of KStars 2.7.7 for Linux, Mac, and Windows!

In this release, Robert Lancaster dedicated a lot of time to improving KStars What's Interesting Tool (WIT). It is now significantly improved and offers a rich educational experience to explore the heavens! Users can now explore many naked eye and deep sky objects, in addition to addon catalogs offered by KStars such as the Sharpless Catalog. Users wishing to have more fine control on what objects to observe and/or image should be using the Observation Planner that enable filtering of objects with custom constraints and limits. For casual users looking to find out what's interesting tonight, then this tool is the optimal choice.

kstars_wit.png

Whether you're simply viewing the sky unaided with your eye or using binoculars/telescopes, find out which objects are available and how to locate them in the night sky.

The WIT fetches images and information on the objects and interest and can even fetch information from online sources like Wikipedia.

Mac Canon users will be glad to know the new release now enables them to fully control their DSLRs under OSX. Furthermore, the Mac release includes support for ZWO ASI cameras. We hope to add support for QHY for Mac in the next release.

ghns.png

While KStars includes downloadable addons for images that appears in the detail dialog, John Sadler did a fantastic job of compiling images for over 18,000 NGC/IC objects!! These images are now available as downlodable addons, and now you can enjoy images of thousands of objects right within KStars. A small update to the Observation Planner enabled support for viewing images in there as well to help you plan what to observe and image ahead.

A few fixes were made to the Ekos Guide module to detect timeout in image captures and to take appropriate actions before giving up. Also, dithering failure does not necessary lead to autoguiding process failure. This behavior is now controlled by the user. By default, the autoguide process shall proceed even if dithering fails for whatever reason.

Finally, I added SkySafari support to INDI and now SkySafari users can enjoy using their app & KStars simultaneously to control their equipment without resorting to exotic hacks.

skysafari_mount.png

• llanitedave, R Botero, giorgio_ne and 5 others like this

#2 dsochaser

dsochaser

Messenger

• -----

Posted 08 May 2017 - 05:50 AM

Looking good!

#3 knro

knro

StellarMate

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 08 May 2017 - 07:17 AM

I actually just got QHY running on Mac for the _first_ time ever. So QHY support WILL be in the next KStars for OSX release, probably in a couple of weeks. This include QHY PoleMaster which you can use with Ekos Polar Alignment Assistant tool. On Linux, QHY is already supported of course.

qhy_osx.png

#4 llanitedave

llanitedave

Humble Megalomaniac

• Loc: Amargosa Valley, NV, USA

Posted 08 May 2017 - 01:06 PM

This tool just keeps getting better and better.

#5 dsochaser

dsochaser

Messenger

• -----

Posted 09 May 2017 - 05:49 AM

Tried it and it can't find the port on the mac (to interface to a Celestron scope, for example). Can anyone supply a walkthrough for the mac to simply connect to a scope via INDI?

#6 knro

knro

StellarMate

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 09 May 2017 - 09:19 AM

Tried it and it can't find the port on the mac (to interface to a Celestron scope, for example). Can anyone supply a walkthrough for the mac to simply connect to a scope via INDI?

Once you start Ekos, you will also get "INDI Control Panel". Go to your mount tab then connections and select your port. It will display ports detected on your system, select one of them, then go back to "Main Control" and click "Connect". It should remember this port the next time you connect.

celestron_mac.png

#7 dsochaser

dsochaser

Messenger

• -----

Posted 09 May 2017 - 10:12 PM

Thanks! Looks familiar but I'll give it another try

#8 dsochaser

dsochaser

Messenger

• -----

Posted 10 May 2017 - 06:27 AM

Once you start Ekos, you will also get "INDI Control Panel". Go to your mount tab then connections and select your port. It will display ports detected on your system, select one of them, then go back to "Main Control" and click "Connect". It should remember this port the next time you connect.

attachicon.gifcelestron_mac.png

So this procedure does not work. I get the same error messages shown in your screen capture. If I list the /dev directory, there are probably over 100 devices and its impossible to know which one is the mount. (Also, "cu.usb-serial" is not one of them.)

#9 knro

knro

StellarMate

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 10 May 2017 - 07:03 AM

I presume you're using a Serial2USB adapter right? Did you install the driver for this adapter on Mac? It should create a device node under /dev. Now the names vary a bit, it might be cu.usbserial or tty.usbserial-etc You need to make sure you have the driver correctly installed and recognizing the adapter. Most of these adapters use the FTDI chip, so you can install the driver from their website, but verify first it's an FTDI chip before you download anything, or simply check whatever documentation that came with your adapter.

Another user in INDI forum asked the same question, so maybe this answer helps.

Edited by knro, 10 May 2017 - 07:07 AM.

• dsochaser likes this

#10 dsochaser

dsochaser

Messenger

• -----

Posted 10 May 2017 - 07:35 AM

I presume you're using a Serial2USB adapter right? Did you install the driver for this adapter on Mac? It should create a device node under /dev. Now the names vary a bit, it might be cu.usbserial or tty.usbserial-etc You need to make sure you have the driver correctly installed and recognizing the adapter. Most of these adapters use the FTDI chip, so you can install the driver from their website, but verify first it's an FTDI chip before you download anything, or simply check whatever documentation that came with your adapter.

Another user in INDI forum asked the same question, so maybe this answer helps.

OK! My appoligies! I bought the USB2serial last year and don't remember if I installed the driver or not because I've been going back and forth to windows to see what works best. I guess not since its now connecting. This is great! Thanks for the help!

#11 knro

knro

StellarMate

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 15 May 2017 - 05:43 AM

A new OSX DMG is now available (same download link in the website) that fixes a few issues in the last release:

+ QHY drivers
+ ZWO drivers
+ Fixed Canon driver
+ DBUS server (Ekos scheduler now fully working on OSX!) 

+ Fixed XPlanet

+ Fixed SkySafari connection

+ Fixed EQMod linker error.

• dsochaser likes this

#12 dsochaser

dsochaser

Messenger

• -----

Posted 17 May 2017 - 06:02 AM

So I tried to use the builtin guider but thought it didn't work so well compared to PHD2. Maybe just need to adjust but ultimately went back to windows because PHD2 doesn't work with INDI/OSX and the builtin guider in Kstars doesn't seem to have drift alignment - correct me if I'm wrong.

#13 knro

knro

StellarMate

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:05 AM

What didn't work exactly? Also, why use drift alignment method? KStars employs a far more superior Polar Alignment Tool:

https://www.youtube....6Zz9lNd5Q&t=20s

#14 Jeffrey C.

Jeffrey C.

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 17 May 2017 - 01:30 PM

Installed Kstars recently. Still learning the program but it looks interesting  . I've noticed that not all extra catalogs can be downloaded (e.g. Sharpless HII region). File not found.

#15 dsochaser

dsochaser

Messenger

• -----

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:30 PM

What didn't work exactly? Also, why use drift alignment method? KStars employs a far more superior Polar Alignment Tool:

https://www.youtube....6Zz9lNd5Q&t=20s

Thanks for the help! That looks interesting but I can't see the pole where I live. I have a polar scope built in to the scope and can't use it either crazy.gif

The guider was losing the star a lot. I'll give it another try when I have more time but windows has a solution for all my issues including Pentax camera control, and I really like PHD2!

#16 dsochaser

dsochaser

Messenger

• -----

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:49 PM

I'm starting to put 2 and 2 together. I had Kstars/Ekos running with iAstroHub acting as the INDI server at the telescope and was even able to control my Pentax (through iAstroHub)! I have to admit it looks quite powerful, but I have to say its quite difficult to get started - too much information. For example, i just want to take a shot with the camera (not the guider) and seems I have to setup a sequence to do that? And turn off all the conditions? Its really not a nice learning curve on this stuff.

Could you guys add pentax support with the guy who does iAstroHub??? they are great AP cameras!

Cheers

#17 knro

knro

StellarMate

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:15 AM

What conditions? Do not use the Ekos Scheduler to take an image! Just start Ekos, click on the "Camera" icon tab, and then Click "Preview", that's all. 

For Pentax, it is already supported in GPhoto2, but you would need a fairly recent libgphoto2 for it to be supported.

#18 dsochaser

dsochaser

Messenger

• -----

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:42 PM

Oh yes I saw that preview button on YouTube.

I'll update libgphoto and try it again. Thanks for he help!

Edited by gbeaton, 19 May 2017 - 04:44 PM.

#19 jedimasterk

jedimasterk

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 04 July 2017 - 01:24 PM

Version 2.7.8. Cannot install "Sharpless Hill region Catalog", "Hickson Compact Groups", "NGC Images displayed in the details window", and  "IC Images displayed in the details window. Get "could not install ... file not found". This is the Windows version, running on Windows 10. Everything else seems to be working ok.

• Tommy likes this

#20 Tommy

Tommy

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Milky Way

Posted 04 July 2017 - 07:24 PM

Version 2.7.8. Cannot install "Sharpless Hill region Catalog", "Hickson Compact Groups", "NGC Images displayed in the details window", and  "IC Images displayed in the details window. Get "could not install ... file not found". This is the Windows version, running on Windows 10. Everything else seems to be working ok.

I already reported this as a bug. :) 

#21 knro

knro

StellarMate

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 05 July 2017 - 03:52 AM

I'm making a new build (2.7.9) so I'll try to make sure this issue is resolved before the next release is out. Thanks for the bug reports!

• Tommy and bsavoie like this

#22 Tommy

Tommy

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 05 July 2017 - 10:20 PM

I'm making a new build (2.7.9) so I'll try to make sure this issue is resolved before the next release is out. Thanks for the bug reports!

Can't wait! 

Thank you

#23 knro

knro

StellarMate

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 07 July 2017 - 05:47 PM

2.7.9 release is out, along with KStars Lite for Android as well.

Please test and report any issues.

• Tommy likes this

#24 Tommy

Tommy

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 07 July 2017 - 07:42 PM

Thank you very much.

#25 obrazell

obrazell

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Posted 09 July 2017 - 05:37 AM

Well all the catalogues that did not load seem to load with this version which is good. The bad bit is is does not remember what was loaded before so you would have to download the big Nomad catalogue everytime there is an upgrade (this is on WIndows) so this is not so good.

Owen

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics