•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

KStars 2.7.7 is released for Windows, Mac, and Linux

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#26 knro

knro

StellarMate

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Kuwait

Posted 09 July 2017 - 06:30 AM

You do not have to download NOMAD, unless you removed it then it's still there. Check in C:\Users\$USERHAME\AppData\Local\kstars   and you should have a file named USNO-NOMAD-1e8.dat there. If not then you can download it by following this guide.

Edited by knro, 09 July 2017 - 08:04 AM.

#27 obrazell

obrazell

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Posted 10 July 2017 - 04:34 AM

Yes it is there but the program still thinks it is not installed when you look under the new data menu. Whther it actually diusplays those stars I am not sure.

Owen

#28 knro

knro

StellarMate

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 14 July 2017 - 09:01 AM

Yes it is there but the program still thinks it is not installed when you look under the new data menu. Whther it actually diusplays those stars I am not sure.

Owen

If it is there then it is loaded. Go to Configure KStars and try to increase the density slider to see more stars.

#29 knro

knro

StellarMate

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 25 July 2017 - 04:06 AM

KStars 2.8.0 is now released for Linux, MacOS, and Windows!

This is a minor bugfix release to increase stability of KStars on all supported platforms. Nevertheless, there were few significant updates:

+ Default NGC/IC catalog is now replaced by OpenNGC project. Christian Dersch compiled this catalog from OpenNGC. KStars now include more objects with accurate positions!

+ Lots of C++11/C++14 code migration work by GSoC 2017 student Csaba Kertész. This also included memory management clean-up, usage of smart pointers, valgrind suppression file and other fixes.

+ Adding support to selection of telescopes from Ekos equipment profile directly. This facilitates having different profiles when utilizing different telescopes on the same mount.

profile_telescope.png

+ Michael Fulbright, KStars & INDI latest developer,  added the ability to have a scheduled refocus every N minutes during a capture sequence. Michael also added dither size in pixels and dither timeout to UI.

Many small bugs were fixed, thanks to our users who are making use of KDE Bug Tracking facilities effectively.

• Tommy, giorgio_ne, Guest7564635 and 1 other like this

#30 Tommy

Tommy

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Milky Way

Posted 26 July 2017 - 04:03 AM

Thank you for the new version.

But I wish to have Kstars remember their last windows position/size.

Regards,

Tom

#31 Tommy

Tommy

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 26 July 2017 - 04:08 AM

Just wondering how to get GPS location from smartphone via bluetooth in Kstars? Any setting tab that we can set the bluetooth COM port in Kstars?

Regadrs,

Tom

#32 knro

knro

StellarMate

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 26 July 2017 - 05:23 PM

Not directly, no. KStars uses computer time. To use GPS, it must be done via INDI gpsd driver, which is another approach.

#33 Lead_Weight

Lead_Weight

Vanguard

• Loc: Houston

Posted 04 August 2017 - 03:42 PM

Not directly, no. KStars uses computer time. To use GPS, it must be done via INDI gpsd driver, which is another approach.

Or what about pulling it from the MacBook's location?

#34 Tommy

Tommy

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 06 August 2017 - 12:08 AM

I requested to add a "Get Location" button link to Eqmod Ascom GPS location database, finally the author of CDC Skychart made it. Why Kstars cant make it?

Attached Thumbnails

• 2017-08-06_130155.jpg

Edited by Tommy, 06 August 2017 - 12:10 AM.

• grozmaistor likes this

#35 knro

knro

StellarMate

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 06 August 2017 - 01:06 AM

Because it has to work across all operating systems and each one has a different way of implementing this. I'll check to see if it is possible.

#36 knro

knro

StellarMate

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 17 August 2017 - 01:14 PM

The 2.8.1 KStars "Hipster" release is out for Linux, MacOS, and Windows! Many bugs fixes and of course support for Hierarchical Progressive Surveys!

kstars_hips.jpg

More details, check my blog: http://knro.blogspot...ase-is-out.html

• Tommy, warby and Lead_Weight like this

#37 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Gemini

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 25 August 2017 - 07:58 PM

Looks beautiful.

Can you help me understand how to use this with a telescope in the Windows 10 environment?  

I install Kstars and then I go looking for how to connect a telescope.   From what I can tell it wants INDI which when I go looking for INDI it does not list support for Windows.  I then see that Ekos VM 1.6 is required?  Is that correct?

#38 dsochaser

dsochaser

Messenger

• -----

Posted 26 August 2017 - 09:23 AM

Looks beautiful.

Can you help me understand how to use this with a telescope in the Windows 10 environment?  

I install Kstars and then I go looking for how to connect a telescope.   From what I can tell it wants INDI which when I go looking for INDI it does not list support for Windows.  I then see that Ekos VM 1.6 is required?  Is that correct?

I would like to know too. I tried and it was very problematic. You need ASCOM for your PC devices, and an INDI to ASCOM driver, and then Kstars communicates via the INDI server to INDI/ASCOM driver - or something like that. I didn't get a proper connection to my mount and no help on the INDI forum.

Unfortunately, when they say Kstars is available on windows and MacOS, they really mean that it will run on this platforms after being cross compiled. However, the releases are not necessarily tested and many features may not work.

The argument is that its a work in progress. Granted its free so you may have to support by providing feedback to the INDI group. Don't expect to install it and have a working tool.

Edited by gbeaton, 26 August 2017 - 09:26 AM.

#39 knro

knro

StellarMate

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 26 August 2017 - 10:23 AM

There are a couple of methods:

1. Use wINDI to establish INDI server on Windows. With this you can connect to ASCOM mounts and some CCDs. Support for devices is limited.

2. Get Raspberry PI and install a Linux on it and then INDI.

3. Get StellarMate that comes with everything built and ready for use.

INDI works just fine on MacOS and KStars is fully supported under MacOS. We are about to release 2.8.2 for all platforms which includes many bugfixes. Remember this is an open-source application with volunteers contributing their time to developing this, so we cannot possibly cover all issues across all platforms. The only thing that distinguishes the platforms is INDI support, there is zero difference otherwise between Linux, MacOS, and Windows releases. Even most users on Linux do not hook their equipment directly to their desktop/laptop, but they use a cheap Rasbperry PI to get it done remotely.

gbeaton, I just search for your posts and found the one you were referring to, I didn't see it before (already answering almost every single thread in there).

• bsavoie and dsochaser like this

#40 knro

knro

StellarMate

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 27 August 2017 - 01:02 AM

KStars 2.8.2 is released today for Windows, MacOS, and Linux! It is mostly a bug fix release and it comes with improvements to the HiPS tool introduced in 2.8.1 including support for hundreds of online catalogs!

kstars_hips.jpg

• Tommy, lambermo, Guest7564635 and 1 other like this

#41 dsochaser

dsochaser

Messenger

• -----

Posted 28 August 2017 - 06:20 AM

1. Use wINDI to establish INDI server on Windows. With this you can connect to ASCOM mounts and some CCDs. Support for devices is limited.

INDI works just fine on MacOS and KStars is fully supported under MacOS. We are about to release 2.8.2 for all platforms which includes many bugfixes. Remember this is an open-source application with volunteers contributing their time to developing this, so we cannot possibly cover all issues across all platforms. The only thing that distinguishes the platforms is INDI support, there is zero difference otherwise between Linux, MacOS, and Windows releases. Even most users on Linux do not hook their equipment directly to their desktop/laptop, but they use a cheap Rasbperry PI to get it done remotely.

gbeaton, I just search for your posts and found the one you were referring to, I didn't see it before (already answering almost every single thread in there).

Thanks @knro, I haven't been able to try your recommendations yet - having scope issues. but I'll get back to it soon. Thanks again.

#42 Tommy

Tommy

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 29 August 2017 - 02:14 AM

How to get skysafari running in Kstars windows version?

Regards,

#43 knro

knro

StellarMate

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 29 August 2017 - 02:40 AM

How to get skysafari running in Kstars windows version?

Regards,

SkySafari INDI bridge has to run in INDI server under Linux/Mac. It's not supported under Windows (INDI Server for Windows support is limited as indicated before).

#44 dsochaser

dsochaser

Messenger

• -----

Posted 08 September 2017 - 06:48 AM

So I decided to go the StellarMate route. Looks like a nicely packaged product and MacOS friendly for install and using to run Kstars, and has nice connectivity features. I plan to use Wifi at first but maybe eth to speed up image previews if it gets clunky. Also, my testing indicates it will handle my special little problem, being Pentax camera - awesome or AP but not well supported. I already had the RPi3 so I just bought the software.

I have to say the whole Kstars/Ekos/StellarMate system is now looking pretty slick and stable. Congratulations!

#45 Steve Cox

Steve Cox

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 10 September 2017 - 05:58 PM

I installed this onto my Mac yesterday to give it another chance, and have to say it's come a long way from what it was earlier this last spring/winter.  I'm quite impressed.  If there is anything though I would complain about, it's the lack of accurate "realtime" images of the planets, specifically Jupiter and Mars and perhaps Saturn(?).  Being able to zoom in to see when GRS, or any of the specific Mars features are in view is a big benefit, or the current tilt angle of Saturn.  Without that capability, one must depend on other software, which if running on NIX isn't always as plentiful as Mac or Win offerings.

Still, very nice work to those who brought us this.

• knro likes this

#46 knro

knro

StellarMate

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 11 September 2017 - 04:54 AM

I installed this onto my Mac yesterday to give it another chance, and have to say it's come a long way from what it was earlier this last spring/winter.  I'm quite impressed.  If there is anything though I would complain about, it's the lack of accurate "realtime" images of the planets, specifically Jupiter and Mars and perhaps Saturn(?).  Being able to zoom in to see when GRS, or any of the specific Mars features are in view is a big benefit, or the current tilt angle of Saturn.  Without that capability, one must depend on other software, which if running on NIX isn't always as plentiful as Mac or Win offerings.

Still, very nice work to those who brought us this.

We're constantly adding features to KStars. To better follow up with this, please file a Wishlist bug at KDE Bugtracking system here: https://bugs.kde.org

This way we can manage it better. Thanks for the suggestion!

• Guest7564635 likes this

#47 knro

knro

StellarMate

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:52 AM

KStars 2.8.3 "Tommy" is released today for all major platforms. It includes many bugfixes and translations for over 60 languages. More details here: http://knro.blogspot...mmy-is-out.html

If you're wondering about "Tommy" (you're probably not), he's my lovely German Shepard!

tommy.jpg

• Jeffrey C. and brave_ulysses like this

#48 brave_ulysses

brave_ulysses

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: far outside the wire

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:23 AM

hello

having trouble with kstars 2.8.3 on an ubuntu 16.04 box. hardware is:

hdx-110 with usb-ttl/serial converter using eqmod driver - /dev/ttyACM0

asi1600mmc using zwo driver

stratux vk-162 gps using gpsd driver - /dev/ttyUSB0

everything works ok initially. at some point the mount can not be reached and the indiserver log shows /dev/ttyUSB0 write errors. after stopping indiserver and exiting kstars, "fuser /dev/ttyACM0" shows the PID of gpsd. gpsd.conf definitely has /dev/ttyUSB0 configured

i'll do some more digging, but maybe someone else has seen something similar and has a fix...

thanks

#49 knro

knro

StellarMate

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:42 AM

so maybe you have them switched around? I have HDX-110 aka EQ8 and I use Shoestring adapter and it's on ttyUSB. 

#50 brave_ulysses

brave_ulysses

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: far outside the wire

Posted 15 September 2017 - 01:18 PM

i'll verify when i get home. it was late/early when i was doing this and likely did something silly

thanks for working on kstars!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics