•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Craigslist, eBay, and other vintage, classic telescope ads

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
726 replies to this topic

#51 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:37 AM

Edmund SS Conqueror  $300.00

https://www.cloudyni...conqueror-6-f8/

#52 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 11 May 2017 - 10:10 AM

??hmmm,  work done on classic vintage is never really reclaimed in price. 300 is pretty high for asking, especially if not a very nice restoration complete

Here's where a 300 price tag might be good....for the 6"

https://www.cloudyni...querer-425/?hl= edmund  super  space  conquerer

EDIT:  I pulled up some other resto and found the OP ad inquiry about still having these?  answered in string.

I forget about things after a day or two, long term hangs, short term goes fuzzy, lol, interesting life, why so sporadic in here,  hard to keep tabs on ads and responses too lolol, I've hacked off people responding to ads from.....disappearing. Sometimes I lose myself but things seem to be stable this way in general now....

shattered lens 10TE never finished string with an original lens and cell DONATED.  Just another one,  it pings me when I notice the mount in the basement.  It's amazing that I stay up on the acres here....sorta...lol.

Edited by apfever, 11 May 2017 - 10:24 AM.

#53 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• Loc: 39° 4' 19" N / 84° 28' 22" W

Posted 11 May 2017 - 10:54 AM

Must be a bidding war going on?

Late Cave. Probably 10" f/5.  Tube only. Posted 2 hours ago. 

https://sfbay.craigs...6126504492.html

I HAVE MADE AN OFFER IN EXCESS OF ASKING

I see no reason in not posting it here. It would show up soon enough regardless. 

It wouldn't be the first time I've had a Cave purchased out from under me. 

I will supply updates as I get them 

Ah ha! Well that certainly explains it!

#54 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 11 May 2017 - 10:54 AM

This is still there, probably complete, worth the price.

https://austin.craig...6087975303.html

-drl

#55 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 11 May 2017 - 10:57 AM

-drl

Maybe if it were the long case version.

#56 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 11 May 2017 - 10:58 AM

-drl

Worth a look see!  They've sold from $60 to $650...

Edited by Bomber Bob, 11 May 2017 - 11:00 AM.

#57 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 11 May 2017 - 11:28 AM

-drl

Worth a look see!  They've sold from $60 to $650...

A white tube scope is like a man - if there are no scars on the tube, there are probably not many on anything else smile.gif This one looks like it has been stored like Austin Powers since the 60s. No rust on the showing focuser screw, mount tang sticking up where it should be, properly packed.

-drl

Edited by deSitter, 11 May 2017 - 11:30 AM.

#58 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 11 May 2017 - 11:29 AM

-drl

Maybe if it were the long case version.

Well I have that scope, it's definitely the Astro Optical objective, and mine is as good as they come!

-drl

#59 Darren Drake

Darren Drake

Soyuz

• Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 11 May 2017 - 11:31 AM

Looks like a Focal spotter and brings back memories. I would do it if it was closer..
https://appleton.cra...6126887337.html

Edited by Darren Drake, 11 May 2017 - 11:33 AM.

#60 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 11 May 2017 - 11:57 AM

A few of those spotters with the two finder brackets are EIKOW.  Most appear well made, regardless of maker's mark.

#61 Nave

Nave

Apollo

• -----

Posted 11 May 2017 - 02:00 PM

Update: while the CL ad may still remain up, I know for a fact that the Bay Area Cave is no longer on the market....

So, you all can stop emailing her.

(And yes, you in Oregon, she did receive your email...).

#62 Nave

Nave

Apollo

• -----

Posted 11 May 2017 - 02:45 PM

I am fully engaged on the Cave. 

The three Orthostars alone are worth the $300 asking price.

Bingo. 

For me, this was never about the Cave tube. (However, it's really freaking clean....)

It was always about these... my quick research last night was that Cave was sourcing these from Nikon. And that these are predecessors to the coveted Meade RGs. 

Have i I got that right? Sure seems it with the barrels & boxes. 

Anyone ever seen a "Cave Astrola" branded barlow?!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3630.JPG

#63 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 11 May 2017 - 02:57 PM

Congrats!  Glad you got it :)

#64 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 11 May 2017 - 03:17 PM

I am fully engaged on the Cave. 

The three Orthostars alone are worth the $300 asking price.

Bingo. 

For me, this was never about the Cave tube. (However, it's really freaking clean....)

It was always about these... my quick research last night was that Cave was sourcing these from Nikon. And that these are predecessors to the coveted Meade RGs. 

Nice score - believe it or not the Meade Series II Orthos are even better than the RGs.

-drl

#65 Stargoat

Stargoat

Apollo

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 11 May 2017 - 03:41 PM

An Atco, HOC, telescope in an all wood box:

https://denver.craig...6124728867.html

A Sears 4454 telescope:

https://portland.cra...6124394091.html

^The former would be preferable to the latter!

Yes, the ATCO is preferable to the Sears -- and a very Good Buy!

I will testify to the quality of the ATCO. That's one amazing scope even at double that price. Planets are spectacular with a nice Ortho or Radian even up to 4mm if the sky permits. Somebody snap it up. I would if I didn't already have one...waytogo.gif

Have it, will check it out tomorrow, Let me know any specifics for registries or anything you might want off it Stephen.

Not my first ATCO, that's why I got it.  I figured that ad would hit here, but I had made first in line before it showed up here.

Glad you are getting the ATCO Neil. Looked like there was H.O.C on the focuser label. Should be very good optics. I forgot to copy the pics from the ad which is now deleted since you bought it. If you still have pics from the ad and or if you take new ones, I'd like to make a folder on this scope for my documentation. Would like to see photos and sure the group would as well. If any inspection tags or manual would like to see as well. Guessing this scope is from the early to mid 60 off top of my head. Thanks.

#66 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 11 May 2017 - 03:52 PM

believe it or not the Meade Series II Orthos are even better than the RGs.

Not the ones I have.  My RG Orthos are from 1979-1981 and are far superior to my newer (late 1980s) Series II Orthos.

#67 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 11 May 2017 - 04:09 PM

believe it or not the Meade Series II Orthos are even better than the RGs.

Not the ones I have.  My RG Orthos are from 1979-1981 and are far superior to my newer (late 1980s) Series II Orthos.

Mine are mid-late 70s and are my best planetary eyepieces.

-drl

#68 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 11 May 2017 - 04:18 PM

Probably where the "Nikon made the Meade RGs" story comes from.  But, maybe Nikon did make some batches.  I know Tani made at least one.  If Meade got some of the Series II eyepieces from Nikon...

#69 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• Loc: Willis, TX

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:56 PM

After a little internal debate, I'd like to say this about the Cave OTA in the bay area...

OP posted it before having it in his possession.  He stated that it would end up here anyway.  He was right.  A few posts later it showed up.  Point being that while some people here just cry and moan about what happens when something shows up here, other people are ALWAYS looking.  We're just not that clever.  IMHO, as a group we need to get over it.  Period.

Regardless, someone with knowledge and preparation can still get the deal completed, even for a good price.  So it wasn't the steal it was originally advertised for.  It was still a deal (and I imagine the seller got a fair price).  Get over it.

A bit off topic, but still to the point, I started a thread like this on a BMW board.  My car (E46 touring, or wagon to most) is actually in high demand, believe it or not.  We participate in that thread much as folks do here.  And folks there have found the car they were looking for, just as folks here have found great scopes.  And more to my point, a sweet deal recently came up and a flipper bought it.  Even rubbed our noses in it in a subtle way.  That's always the risk, but it still helps people, whether a BMW wagon or a classic telescope.  If you don't like playing here, don't.  Others will continue to do so and whining about it does no good.

Shields up!

#70 PiSigma

PiSigma

Vanguard

• Loc: Indianapolis

Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:02 PM

Bingo. 

Long ago I had read rumors about them being made by Nikon. I didn't put much faith in that until I received a Cave catalog and hand typed price list that said "Orthostar by Nikon". I posted a snippet of that price list on these forums. I have had complete sets of both the Orthostars and Meade RGs and the RGs are clearly a development of the Orthostars.

I haven't seen a Cave Astrola branded barlow but did have a Cave Optical Co. branded one.

Probably where the "Nikon made the Meade RGs" story comes from.  But, maybe Nikon did make some batches.  I know Tani made at least one.  If Meade got some of the Series II eyepieces from Nikon...

We're getting off topic for this thread and have discussed this in others anyway - where is the proof that Tani ever had any involvement? There are no similarities to any Tani EPs I have ever seen.

Attached Thumbnails

• Img_6660sm.jpg

#71 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:23 PM

After a little internal debate, I'd like to say this about the Cave OTA in the bay area...

OP posted it before having it in his possession.  He stated that it would end up here anyway.  He was right.  A few posts later it showed up.  Point being that while some people here just cry and moan about what happens when something shows up here, other people are ALWAYS looking.  We're just not that clever.  IMHO, as a group we need to get over it.  Period.

Regardless, someone with knowledge and preparation can still get the deal completed, even for a good price.  So it wasn't the steal it was originally advertised for.  It was still a deal (and I imagine the seller got a fair price).  Get over it.

A bit off topic, but still to the point, I started a thread like this on a BMW board.  My car (E46 touring, or wagon to most) is actually in high demand, believe it or not.  We participate in that thread much as folks do here.  And folks there have found the car they were looking for, just as folks here have found great scopes.  And more to my point, a sweet deal recently came up and a flipper bought it.  Even rubbed our noses in it in a subtle way.  That's always the risk, but it still helps people, whether a BMW wagon or a classic telescope.  If you don't like playing here, don't.  Others will continue to do so and whining about it does no good.

Shields up!

ohmy.gif

#72 bartine

bartine

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Silver Spring, MD

Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:30 PM

A very high priced, but absolutely beautifully engineered 8" mirror cell

It is worth just looking at it!  The fit, finish and design is really cool.

http://www.ebay.com/...de/112333813233

#73 boxerdaddy

boxerdaddy

Vostok 1

• Loc: Des Moines, IA

Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:44 PM

Rare "Celetron" w/ wedge. Tucson Arizona w/ reasonable shipping.

Celetron International 1250mm Telescope and Stand

I don't know these "C" scopes very well but looks like the 125mm version.

https://www.shopgood...d-39573286.html

#74 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:08 PM

where is the proof that Tani ever had any involvement

The first Meade RG that I bought in 1979 (the OR7) had the narrow black sticky label --> JAPAN (T) --> stuck on the barrel rather than the cap.  I took it off and trashed it.  I think it was placed there because it was too tall for the cap's side.  IIRC, another CNer had a Tani RG on one of the other threads.  The RGs that I bought later on didn't have that sticker.

IMO, it's relevant to the thread topic because these eyepieces show up on auction and have become somewhat collectible.

#75 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• Loc: GA

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:44 PM

There's a possibility it was there by mistake cause after seeing and reading about hundreds of these eyepieces none have had the tani label much less on the barrel. The series II orthos did have the label. BTW the RG came out beforseries one or series two orthos. Did you buy it used or new from meade?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics