•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pentax 3.5mm SMC-XW or Tele Vue Delos 3.5mm

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Svalbard

Svalbard

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: USA

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:58 AM

I'm in the market for high powered EP and am looking at the these two. They are so similar spec wise, I'm having a hard time. 

Just looking for a nudge either way.

Thanks

#2 bobito

bobito

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Litchfield County, CT

Posted 11 May 2017 - 10:06 AM

I have used both, and both are excellent. I'd lean towards the XW as I find it more contrasty.

What is the focal ratio of your scope? If it's faster than f/7 you probably want to go with the Delos. Many report soft edges on XWs in fast scopes.

Bob

• Svalbard likes this

#3 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 11 May 2017 - 10:08 AM

JMHO I've seen no reason to replace the 3.5XW....At this short a fl, comfort counts for a lot...and the XWs overall are much more comfortable and the twist adjustment is WAY better then tht twist/pull/twist of the TV....optically, its a tossup.  And yes, I do adjust the eyecup depending on the target.   TVs Delos eyecup idea must have come from the same guy who thought up undercuts.  Sorry Al, love your eyepieces, but there are lessons to be learned from others.

• Blueox4 likes this

#4 slack

slack

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted 11 May 2017 - 10:09 AM

Similar in spec, but very different in design and ergonomics. Ideally, you should try them both and decide. 

• Svalbard likes this

#5 Svalbard

Svalbard

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 11 May 2017 - 11:51 AM

I have used both, and both are excellent. I'd lean towards the XW as I find it more contrasty.

What is the focal ratio of your scope? If it's faster than f/7 you probably want to go with the Delos. Many report soft edges on XWs in fast scopes.

Bob

f/7 130 mm refractor.

#6 bobito

bobito

Surveyor 1

Posted 11 May 2017 - 12:15 PM

f/7 130 mm refractor.

Then I'll give a nudge towards the XW. Both my XWs perform flawlessly in my f/7 frac, not that I have any complaints about my Delos either...

XWs and refractors go together like peas and carrots.  :)

• SteveG, StarDust1 and Svalbard like this

#7 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 11 May 2017 - 03:03 PM

f/7 130 mm refractor.

Then I'll give a nudge towards the XW. Both my XWs perform flawlessly in my f/7 frac, not that I have any complaints about my Delos either...

XWs and refractors go together like peas and carrots.  smile.gif

I hate peas. Thanks, now I have to sell my XW's!  

• bobito likes this

#8 Svalbard

Svalbard

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 11 May 2017 - 03:42 PM

f/7 130 mm refractor.

XWs and refractors go together like peas and carrots.  smile.gif

How about corn?

post-24021-0-50103300-1400675106.jpg

• Paul Morow and bobito like this

#9 bobito

bobito

Surveyor 1

Posted 11 May 2017 - 03:48 PM

I hate peas. Thanks, now I have to sell my XW's!  

I'll take 'em!  :)

#10 junomike

junomike

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 11 May 2017 - 05:18 PM

I had both complete sets and finally settled on the Delos as I found I preferred the color saturation  (vibrancy).  

Can't really go wrong with either choice.

Mike

#11 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:57 PM

Tie.

#12 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:24 PM

Bob

Yes they do, bjut not so much on the series from 10mm to 3.5mm.

• rockethead26 likes this

#13 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:28 PM

I think the ergonomics of the XW is hard to beat.  Another thing: the XW has some waterproofing, which sounds silly till you squirt some eyepiece cleaning fluid on the lens and it disappears into the interior of the eyepiece.  I don't know whether Televue has introduced water proofing into any of its lines, but it used to be absent.    As for ergonomics, I've never found anything I like more than the silicone cups they put on the XW, and they are readily pulled off for cleaning the glass surface.  

There is in addition a metal lip on the XW that unscrews, you can then put on a camera adapter to shoot afocal.  I did this for a while with my cool pix but when the camera died I lost interest.

Greg N

#14 ausastronomer

ausastronomer

Vanguard

• Loc: Shoalhaven Heads NSW (Australia)

Posted 11 May 2017 - 10:25 PM

If it's faster than f/7 you probably want to go with the Delos. Many report soft edges on XWs in fast scopes.

Bob

That's not quite correct. It is only the 14mm and 20mm Pentax XW's which have some field curvature issues in certain telescopes, which BTW is usually unrelated to the Telescope F-Ratio; and more affected by the telescopes focal length and it's design.

The 3.5mm Pentax XW (and the 5mm, 7mm and 10mm) give beautiful flat field views in every telescope I have used them in and that covers, fast and slow refractors, reflectors and Catadioptic scopes.

The choice between the 2 comes down to personal preference. They are both exceptional eyepieces and right at the top of the tree. I own both, but prefer the ergonomics and comfort of the XW's over the Delos slightly. Optically they are very closely matched in performance right across the Board.

Cheers,
  • Jeff Bennett, george tatsis, StarDust1 and 2 others like this

#15 starcam

starcam

Apollo

• Loc: MD

Posted 12 May 2017 - 04:19 PM

I have the delos 6mm and that's about as low as I'm going to go with that series. When I first got the 6d I had a heck of a time with eye placement. I have hence gotten use to it, but for me the xw3.5 was the way to go. On some of my older 4mm eyepieces the image was fuzzy on planetary, pop in the xw3.5 and it was resolute, clear,and contrasty.

#16 GUS.K

GUS.K

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Katoomba, NSW, Australia.

Posted 13 May 2017 - 05:05 AM

Have the 5 and 7mm Pentax XW and the 6mm TV Delos, and was after a 3.5mm EP. The last TV under 6mm EP sale made the decision easy. Have Used it a few times now, mainly for lunar and Ha solar, and I'm more than happy with the purchase, a fantastic EP.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics