•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The end of leather binocular case

binoculars equipment classic accessories
  • Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 See4miles

See4miles

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Suburb Of Cleveland,- Ohio

Posted 11 May 2017 - 03:58 PM

Hello all, New here, first post. Wondering when Binocular makers ended the much nicer leather cases that came with a decent pair of Binoculars back in the day? Purchased a nice pair of B+L on eBay, Nice leather case. Also purchased two pair of Yashica's, that seam to have great value for what I paid out. One pair has the old quality leather case. The other has the cheep vinyl bag with a zipper. Recently been getting into the older optics. I seem to get some great quality at a bargain price when choosing the premium binoculars of yesteryear. The cases were so much nicer also. Thanks, Paul.

#2 Richard O'Neill

Richard O'Neill

Vanguard

Posted 11 May 2017 - 04:28 PM

Synthetics look decent enough for most, especially for those on a budget, and are significantly less expensive than leather. Binocular, camera, gun and knife cases are now mostly made of synthetic materials. Even Questar's once legendary English leather case has gone the way of the Dodo, along with real fur and ivory.

#3 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

• Loc: Lancashire UK

Posted 11 May 2017 - 04:45 PM

Sadly, the reign of leather for binocular cases wasn't helped when it was discovered it contributed to fungal growth.

• Mad Matt, Mr. Bill, Carlos Flores and 3 others like this

#4 Richard O'Neill

Richard O'Neill

Vanguard

Posted 11 May 2017 - 06:13 PM

http://www.europa.co...cope/fungus.txt

https://www.amazon.c...pray/B00EOOO1YO

• Foss and See4miles like this

#5 Stu_Travelbee

Stu_Travelbee

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Northeast Indiana 46725

Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:21 AM

I'd rather put the money I spend on binoculars into the optics and not in the case.  Just my opinion...  

• MikeMiller and theo98 like this

#6 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 12 May 2017 - 09:22 AM

Leather can also give off a type of acid from the curing process, D.

#7 theo98

theo98

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: SE La

Posted 12 May 2017 - 11:04 AM

I'd rather put the money I spend on binoculars into the optics and not in the case.  Just my opinion...  

Agree with Stu!

Personally, I prefer the cordura nylon cases, such as used by Zeiss, Canon, Vortex and others. These are rugged and wear well, provide descent fall\weathering protection for the optics, are light-weight, easy to keep clean and can provide a tight custom fit and\or storage features (internal\external zippered open netting or pocket slots for cleaning cloths, pens, etc.).

IMO, being synthetic they will last longer with minimal care needed!

Ted

#8 tomykay12

tomykay12

Surveyor 1

• Loc: San Diego

Posted 12 May 2017 - 11:09 AM

Knives stored in leather sheaves for long periods get really funky. The cordura case my Eagle Optics Denalis came in seems very sturdy and protective. I like it. Most leather I've seen on shop goodwill and other auction sites is shot.

#9 See4miles

See4miles

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 May 2017 - 09:34 PM

Sadly, the reign of leather for binocular cases wasn't helped when it was discovered it contributed to fungal growth.

Great reply, and the word FUNGAL made perfect sense & quickly got my attention.Thinking of searching for great fitting cases on the few vintage binos I recently purchased. Will take a detailed look at the very old leather cases and properly treat and store separately. And naturally in a totally dry environment.  Not hard to find in my place. I have a few large safes I store firearms in. They do not like moisture, so I run a 25, sometimes 40 watt bulb on a mini lamp. The small amount of heat created keeps items inside moisture free. In this "case" I feel "Safe".  Most would say, no worries. Thanks KennyJ.. Paul,-- Ohio..

P. S. My first reply. (took me a few minutes to figure out how to) Learning a great deal on Cloudy Nights. Wealth of info...

#10 See4miles

See4miles

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 May 2017 - 09:45 PM

Thanks Richard, Great web sight & very helpful. Thanks also for the Amazon tip.

#11 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 May 2017 - 09:52 AM

Knives stored in leather sheaves for long periods get really funky. The cordura case my Eagle Optics Denalis came in seems very sturdy and protective. I like it. Most leather I've seen on shop goodwill and other auction sites is shot.

I have a couple of french Laguiole knives in leather cases, the brass on the knife discolours very quickly, D.

#12 tropical

tropical

Viking 1

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:46 PM

Leather is too heavy.  I prefer soft one.  Nikon went from leather to soft case on their vintage bino's; for example 8x30 8.5deg has leather case but 7x35 7.3deg has a soft vinyl case which is light to carry around.

#13 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:33 AM

I believe that leather can give off Tanic ? acid that isn,t the greatest for anything stored in it, D.

#14 Shneor

Shneor

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Northern California

Posted 17 May 2017 - 01:27 AM

Speaking of cases, does anyone know of a zippered soft case with a belt loop that's small enough for a Nikon Premier LX-L 8x20? I had mine at a windy beach last weekend, and by the end of the day I found a lot of sand in the OEM case. All the cases I have found are too large.

#15 rubbery

rubbery

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: St.Petersburg, Russia

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:29 AM

some words to advocate leather.

imho, leather can't be fungus catalyst.

Leather is one of rare materials, capable balansing moisture and temperature inside case. 

We have no stastistics, concerning modern rag fabrics.

But we have experience fungus growing in wood and leather cases, because there was no other materials for 100 years before plastics.

So wood and leather are dangerous for optics )

I prefer leather for binoculars, cameras and lenses.

About 6 years try to collect equipment for custom optics leather case manufacturing.

It is lost tradition. All of our optic plants forgot about such equipment and leather technologies - KOMZ, SOMZ, ZOMZ, etc.

I found two machines capable for traditional corner stitch - 140-years Campbell (US) and 80-year German stitching machine.. 

Edited by rubbery, 11 January 2019 - 06:35 AM.

• lestrade likes this

#16 PEterW

PEterW

Surveyor 1

• Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:51 AM

My canon are still happy in their pelicase (plastic) after 15yrs. It’s good to know there are ways to restrict the leather, superglue doesn’t help fix elderly leather bin cases. Also the use of a leather flap for the lid hing is just asking for long term trouble (unless you moisturise the leather regularly). Still the old cases are nicer than the man made fabric cases, provides a little protection.

PEter
  • rubbery likes this

#17 Foss

Foss

Viking 1

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:14 AM

PEter, To repair elderly cases, I use a glue called Barge (all purpose) on leather. Best results first sand the two surfaces lightly, clean the areas with acetone or paint thinner, then follow Barge directions. 

Edited by Foss, 11 January 2019 - 09:15 AM.

#18 Zyzzyx

Zyzzyx

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:04 AM

I have a leather case on my Leica 7x42 BAs. Nice enough and well made. That said, it is thin leather and doesn’t boast much protection for impacts or rough handling.

Are there any widely recommended synthetic alternatives?

#19 rubbery

rubbery

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 January 2019 - 03:52 PM

I mean classic design with leather/springs flap, cowhide, stitched, not glued.

imho..

This spring latch is excellent, masterpiece, but very unreliable, has damages in spring cover and rips leather near the latch.

This flap is for collection only, not for fields.

German metal latch is reliable, with 3 elastic springs, but too bulky for 8-10x30-40 binoculars.

It's excellent for the fields, but metal is cheap and rusty, brass and copper turns green powder.

So, stainless or composites are suitable for durable flap, nothing more.

It was in 60s, when thin leather covered сardboard or vulcanized cellulose, which formed case geometry.

Hard cardboard ribs hurt the skin, thread cut through the skin.

Leitz, Zeiss, Hasselblad, too, used thin skin, but durable skin, which has survived to our times, unlike many other manufacturers of the 60s.

And most of their cases was stitched, as classic corner stitch.

Most of "leather" for cases after 60s was born in chemical reactors, and cases assembled as cheap surrogate with cardboard and glue and with surrogate designs.

Thats why began fungus epidemic in optical tools - no breathe, no balansed microclimate, hello fungus.

Case for optics, as a beer - water, barley, hops, and case for optics - cowhide (vegetable-tanned), stainless latch, stitching and stainless rivets, black or satin, no PVC or poisonous glue.

Of cource, such case weights 350(8х30)-800(7x50).

Some can decide, that rag soft pouch with neoprene weights 140 grams, and it is better, then leather case.

No problem, their choice.

Amanita is also a mushroom.

As alternative to traditional leather and modern rag I see composites only, with leather physical opportunities and light weight.

Or thick 3mm cowhide with no cardboard )

This is only my opinion, not wisdom

Edited by rubbery, 11 January 2019 - 10:40 PM.

#20 Old Man

Old Man

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Indiana

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:52 PM

I recently bought a pair of Pentax 10x50 with 6.5 degree, made in Japan. I do not know the model of them, but they came in a very nice soft black leather case that is stamped Pentax on the front and in small letters, Japan on the back of the case. Case and binos look like new, nice wide FOV.

For $11.00 plus shipping, I am not complaining, just wish I knew the model. But it is a very nice case, it is lined with some kind of material, like maybe satin, I don't know.

Old Man  aka  Mike

#21 rubbery

rubbery

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:58 PM

I received via Ebay small Pentax 8x30, field 7,5.
Fun.
Hard english cowhide case Pentax, japan binoculars Pentax, flap spring as rag elastic, and never saw before absent steel latch, lost )
Excellent case and component parts that do not match its quality.

380gram with necklace

Attached Thumbnails

• case Pentax 8x30_7,5.jpg

#22 rubbery

rubbery

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 January 2019 - 06:23 PM

Binoculars are in constant motion with the owner, especially in moments of activity.

There are many reasons to get a small pile of scrap metal from binoculars.

Hard leather case allows binoculars to survive by taking a hit, unlike rag cases.

#23 rubbery

rubbery

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:01 PM

This is a german spring clasp, Rudolf Lang style, WW2 relict.
Huge, strong, reliable and rusty after fields.
I can't find similar small "civilian" version, so had to disassemble this one to think about stamping stainless compact clasp with soft springs.
If such compact clasp exist in nature, I will be grateful for the link.

Attached Thumbnails

• Panzerfaust PZF44_latch.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: binoculars, equipment, classic, accessories

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics