•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Swayze mirror?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 kim won jun

kim won jun

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:39 PM

Is there anyone who ordered a mirror to Swayze and received the order later than the expected delivery date?

I have yet to receive my 22" F3.75 mirror since I ordered it the beginning of last year.

At that time, he told me that it was manufactured within 3months, but he doesn't seem to try to manufacture it now.

He told always only 'I’m still struggling in the correction, along with fighting away the astigmatism'  about 1year.

Is there anyone who has experienced like this?

https://translate.go.../429783658.html

a few years ago, a japanese friend ordered same mirror to swayze. already pay total price.

but he never take mrror. no refund. he have only managed to get the mirror blank.

read this post.

i think, swayze is incapable of producing Big, short ratio mirror.

Edited by kim won jun, 12 May 2017 - 07:36 PM.

#2 Pinbout

Pinbout

ISS

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:54 PM

that sounds like him. He's a different alright.

#3 ausastronomer

ausastronomer

Vanguard

• Loc: Shoalhaven Heads NSW (Australia)

Posted 11 May 2017 - 10:07 PM

Is there anyone who ordered a mirror to Swayze and received the order later than the expected delivery date?

I have yet to receive my 22" F3.75 mirror since I ordered it the beginning of last year.

At that time, he told me that it was manufactured within 3months, but he doesn't seem to try to manufacture it now.

He told always only 'I’m still struggling in the correction, along with fighting away the astigmatism'  about 1year.

Hi Kim and Welcome to Cloudy Nights,

What percentage of the total agreed purchase price have you paid Swayze to this point in time?

Cheers,
John B
  • kim won jun likes this

#4 havasman

havasman

Cosmos

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 11 May 2017 - 10:09 PM

He's allegedly been refiguring a club mirror for at least 3 years. Not my responsibility but it ain't what I'd call exactly right.

#5 Steve OK

Steve OK

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: OKC, OK

Posted 12 May 2017 - 07:01 AM

He refigured my 17.5" Coulter mirror.  It took 16 months.  In the end it was worth the wait.

Steve

#6 pstarr

pstarr

Skylab

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 12 May 2017 - 07:25 AM

I sent him a 13.1"plate glass mirror to refigure. He said he could turn it around in a couple of weeks which is why I sent it to him in the first place. Many, many months later, during one of my inquiries, he said he had started it. Since I had my doubts, I told him to keep the mirror for his trouble and I ordered a new 12.5" Lightholder mirror. That mirror was delivered in the time frame promised and it's very good. Steve said he would sell my mirror and send me some money for it as it wasn't fair to just keep it all, of course he never did. That was OK since I really never asked for any. I think the guy has good intentions but over extends himself.

Many would probably be wondering why I would just abandon the first mirror. I got it fairly cheap. The more I thought about a plate glass mirror in my climate, the more I didn't want to deal with the potential cool down problems. It would have cost almost as much in total shipping as the thing was worth. If Steve did indeed start on it, I would have owed him some money. Best to just move on in the end.

Edited by pstarr, 12 May 2017 - 05:02 PM.

#7 kim won jun

kim won jun

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 May 2017 - 09:47 AM

What percentage of the total agreed purchase price have you paid Swayze to this point in time?

Cheers,
John B

Cheers,
John B

I already paid 2900$. 1/2 of total price

#8 TonyStar

TonyStar

Viking 1

Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:23 PM

I sent Steve a 13.1" pyrex mirror to refigure back in May 2016. I also told him I wasn't in a hurry since at the time I was still building the telescope structure and had to travel extensively in the fall. I have been in contact with him during that time (and even called him once) and he said he run into some delays as he needed a new tool etc but no major hurdles with the refigure.

Upon my return at the beginning of November '16 I started to friendly "bug" him about the status of my mirror and he finally finished it as promised at the beginning of December.

The scope is now mostly complete and I had it out 1-2 times but cannot be more quantitative on the quality of the mirror until I finish motorizing the scope (this task is done and tests are under way). Steve told me the FL of the mirror precisely and I CAD designed the structure around this number (before I received the mirror). All trusses where cut to CAD specs (with accuracy better than .5 mm) and all my eyepieces come in to focus perfectly on first light.

I'm so far a satisfied customer, but still waiting to see the actual numbers on the mirror.... 

I read of others here on CN having relatively fast turnarounds on refigure jobs, he definitely has work to do...

Edited by TonyStar, 12 May 2017 - 02:01 PM.

#9 Pinbout

Pinbout

ISS

Posted 12 May 2017 - 02:57 PM

I'm so far a satisfied customer, but still waiting to see the actual numbers on the mirror....

take some images of a star test with a 1mm exit pupil both inside/ outside focus and post them. don't go too far out of focus.

he uses a Rossnull so its most likely better than  1/8~, but no numbers...

https://www.youtube....21IUi_tyFmSieQr

Edited by Pinbout, 12 May 2017 - 02:59 PM.

#10 Pierre Lemay

Pierre Lemay

Apollo

• Loc: Montréal, Canada

Posted 12 May 2017 - 03:56 PM

I still remember following, in awe!, the speed of progress Gordon Waite had on the two 20 inch quartz mirrors he made and documented here in CN and in his youtube videos, which can still be viewed. Gordon started from two flat 20 inch blanks and completed two beautifully figured f/4 mirrors... in six weeks! (see here to read the CN thread)

I vividly remember it was such a short time because I had been working on my single 20 inch f/3.9 mirror for more than a year when, like a meteor flashing in front of my eyes, he started, made and finished not one but two same sized mirrors like the one I was struggling with. Since studying Gordon's work on those two 20 inch mirrors,  I'm always a bit surprised when I read that a professional mirror maker takes 6, 12 or 18 months or more to produce similar sized mirrors.

#11 TonyStar

TonyStar

Viking 1

Posted 12 May 2017 - 04:59 PM

I'll be doing fancier than that, I will take defocused images (time averaged to remove seeing effect) and then analyze them with the Roddier test.

It's like a star test but quantitative and it will give me the total wavefront error, as well as helping me troubleshoot mirror(s) support issues etc.

It better be 1/13-1/16 wave or I'm gonna blame Steve! With his Ross null, and a "small" mirror like mine that should be easily within his reach. I'm hoping for at least 1/8 wave TOTAL (primary and secondary) since my secondary is an Antares ~1/30 wave. I will let you know what I get...

Edited by TonyStar, 12 May 2017 - 05:05 PM.

#12 Pinbout

Pinbout

ISS

Posted 12 May 2017 - 05:04 PM

well before you put it in roddier, post some images...please

#13 jonathanCR

jonathanCR

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Costa Rica

Posted 12 May 2017 - 08:27 PM

I got a 16" Swayze mirror of great quality but I experienced the same thing. He told me it was a 4 weeks job. After 8 months he said it was almost ready so I paid the second 50% of the total price but I had to wait a lot more. I don't remember exactly how much I waited at the end. It was a lot and I had to put a lot of pressure on him. Keep calling him. He will get the job done.

#14 bleep

bleep

Messenger

Posted 13 May 2017 - 01:29 AM

Mine took about 6 months. 5 months being refigured and 1 month at the coaters.

I'm very happy with the mirror and am a satisfied customer but it did take 4 months longer than estimated. 

It seems that you need to have lots of patience when dealing with any telescope related stuff. Whether it's refiguring, recoating or even waiting for the clouds to clear up!  

#15 Markovich

Markovich

Viking 1

• Loc: Grove City, Ohio

Posted 13 May 2017 - 07:35 PM

My 15" took Steve close to 10 months, with infrequent communication.  Ive never measured in quantitatively, but Im very happy with the mirror!

#16 GShaffer

GShaffer

Knight of Ni

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bogart, Ga USA

Posted 14 May 2017 - 07:23 PM

Reviewing this topic it would appear two things have been well established....

1. Swayze makes good mirrors (I own one myself) seems to be the consensus

2. Sadly he is quite slow with unrealistic time estimates but all who have waited seem to be satisfied with the end result

Lets not get too far off the path with back and forth stuff......

#17 RMOrion10

RMOrion10

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 July 2017 - 02:06 AM

All of this sounds way too familiar.

We, our organization, have been "waiting" for a Steve Swayze to produce a 20" mirror for us for since May of 2011.  That's for over six years.

Same story as the others. We contracted with Steve Swayze to make us a 20" mirror, with center hole ( a newt on  a huge EQ mount...not for an SCT) , for $4,500 dollars.  We paid a deposit, and then the balance in March of 2012 when he told us it was "almost ready" and he needed the balance to get it coated.

It never came and, after telling us it was done and only needed to be coated, the same excuses everyone else has experienced started.
"I'm fighting some astigmatism", "It's almost there", "I need to get it coated".... He has become unresponsive for long periods of time but then will finally respond with stories and excuses which often contradict what he has previously told us.  We literally have dozens of emails to and from him with him offering a myriad of excuses.

In July of 2016 he told us that it was done but that he was a little "short of funds" to build a shipping crate and pay for shipping charges.  He blamed the lack of funds on people who owed HIM money though I don't believe for moment that is the case. From what I've read here and elsewhere, he follows the same pattern with everyone and no one owes him funds since he seems to demand most of the payment up front, then asks for the balance when the mirror is "almost complete" but then is not forthcoming with the product and service for which he has been paid.  He never asked, but we felt he actually had the temerity to be hinting that perhaps we should send him more money to get our item.  In the last communication from him, in December of 2016, he was back to claiming that he had to send it to be coated but that, again, he was "short of funds".

We don't believe that a mirror exists, or has ever existed, and we are now demanding a refund of the funds we have paid him and are starting legal processes to recover them.  Lest he think that the time frames have run out to file a legal claim, counsel tells us that our "date of loss" reset each and every time he made another promise and in effect acknowledged his contractual obligation.  Various boards have kicked this down the road but we have now decided it ends now.

We're in California, he's in Oregon, and he has now refused to sign for, or accept,  legal process papers that we have sent via the USPS.  The next step, will be to pay to have him personally served. We will be up that way for the eclipse, and I'd like to serve him personally (I'm a retired peace officer..and Litigation Coordinator for a large agency) but my wife has forbidden me from having personal contact with him.

Of course if we win in court, which I fully expect to do, we than have to serve him with a judgment and try to collect on it. The interstate nature of the case makes that more difficult but, maybe Mr. Swayze also needs to be made aware that as of 2009,  wire fraud (18 U.S.C. § 1343)  has been expanded by Congress to include foreign wire communication or interstate connections via (i.e.) an e-mail server or telephone switch or radio communication.

Food for thought.

• CyberCat, MKV and Dave O like this

#18 kim won jun

kim won jun

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 September 2017 - 02:52 AM

Beware of steven swayze.

I have 17.5", 16" Custom dob. made myself.

Twenty months ago, I ordered him a 22 " f 3.75 mirrors.
Half of the total cost was paid.
He promised to make it within three months.
It has been 20 months since then.
To be honest, I thought three months was ridiculous.
So I thought about waiting for a year.

but,

He doesn't intend to make mirror.
He makes excuses every day.
He only thinks about how to get out of this situation.

So I asked him to take pictures of progress.
But he sent me some pictures that might not be a mirror.
When I asked him several more times, he sent me the same picture.
I asked my friend who made mirror.
He says, " it just started working on this picture. "
Because he only made a small mirror, the big mirror asked the swayze.

so, Four months ago I asked him to send me what he had made so far.
Then, he replied that he would send the goods.
I had planned to put the blank to another person and finish it.
Further, I sent an email to discuss additional costs.

now,,

However, he says he keeps making excuses and doesn't know when to deliver.
At the end of the day he is utterly unwilling to send it to me.

I think perhaps this is one of these circumstances.

1. He had no intention of making a mirror from the beginning.
2. He bought a blank and sold it in the middle.
3. He has no blank.

He offers a cheap price, put the contract down, and ask for half or total cost.
Then, it seems like  don't send mirror.

There is a Japanese who has suffered the same case with me.
I ordered Mirror and found out the case after several days.
He ordered a couple of years ago at 22 " f 3.75 mirror.
He waited for three years. But eventually, he received only the mirror blank.
Moreover, he had already paid the total amount.

Read what he wrote.

https://translate.go.../429783658.html

https://translate.go.../429834351.html

Because it is written in Japanese, I used Google Translation.

The Japanese commissioned Mirror Blank to complete Fuji optics.
As mentioned in the article
Fujioptic says it is a very messy mirror.
Is this the result of three years of waiting?

Mr. Taguchi sent the image of the mirror before the modified polishing by the automatic Foucault tester, but the state of the surface is "It is still far from the parabolic surface and it is slightly advanced from the spherical surface, Surface roughness is conspicuous, though I thought that it was a little better, but when it comes to corrected polishing from this state, it will take quite some time and technology. "  Surface accuracy (PV) is 1.69 λ.

I think swayze might have made the mirror well, but it seems like it's not  now.
Especially, the big, short F mirror seems to be incapable of producing. Or maybe it's just the path of a swindler.

I leave this post in hope that I don't want someone like me to come up with such a thing.
I honestly don't know whether or not I'll be able to take the mirror blank, but I try to do my best.

I will post the situation again later.

PS)
One might say that it is 20 months long and is too hasty.
However, the Japanese have already gone through the same thing,
and he has no intention of producing Mirror.
He also promised to send me a blank.

Edited by kim won jun, 22 September 2017 - 02:58 AM.

• kfrederick likes this

#19 jcricket

jcricket

Ranger 4

• Loc: Denver Area

Posted 12 October 2018 - 10:43 AM

I have dealt with Steve on smaller mirrors and he does excellent and timely work. I personally do not think of him as dishonest or a crook in any way. I sincerely believe his intentions are all good, his attempts are all good, but he may  be in over his head on larger, faster mirrors. He should probably state this too and go back to his smaller mirrors. Just my $0.02 worth. 

#20 noisejammer

noisejammer

Fish Slapper

• Loc: The Uncanny Valley

Posted 15 October 2018 - 09:56 AM

I need to draw your attention to the TOS regarding grievances with vendors. In section 1 we have this statement

f. This is not the place to air grievances with vendors. Please do not attempt to use us as leverage. Take it up with the vendor off of this site.

The Staff of CN interpret this to mean you may report your experience with a vendor once provided it is factual and unbiased. We do not condone third party reporting of someone else's misery, even if true or reported elsewhere.

As a result, I was compelled to removed several posts from this thread. Please do not add to it unless you have personal experience.

#21 ed_turco

ed_turco

Vanguard

• Loc: Lincoln, RI

Posted 15 June 2019 - 10:55 AM

This is what happens when folks want these super-fast mirrors.  While not commenting on the merits here, these mirrors are a very BIG job to figure and require almost god-like talents to complete!   This is not offered as an excuse but puts these examples in context.

• Mark Harry likes this

#22 MKV

MKV

Cosmos

• Loc: Florida, USA

Posted 15 June 2019 - 11:02 AM

This is what happens when folks want these super-fast mirrors.  While not commenting on the merits here, these mirrors are a very BIG job to figure and require almost god-like talents to complete!   This is not offered as an excuse but puts these examples in context.

Ed, I believe you posted this inadvertently to an old thread. Everything on this one is at least two years old. The thread you probably wanted to post on is this:

https://www.cloudyni...and-refiguring/

Cheers!

Mladen

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics