•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AWB Onesky or Orion Skyquest 4.5?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 axl2468

axl2468

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Metro Manila, Philippines

Posted 12 May 2017 - 12:14 AM

I'm back after a long time of inactivity!

So, I'm really lost about which telescope to buy. (Dang it, INTP)

I started about a year ago, when I wanted to buy some of Celestron's Powerseeker models. After a bit of research, I found that the mounts were wobbly, and I didn't want that.

I then decided on getting an Orion Spaceprobe 3 because I didn't have budget to buy bigger scopes I wanted.

Then, I also found out that also had slightly wobbly mounts and the eyepieces were mediocre. I wanted a better, bigger scope but portable and inexpensive.

So I'm still deciding on two telescopes:

The AWB Onesky or the Skyquest 4.5.

I know that while the AWB Onesky has better light-gathering abilities, the Skyquest 4.5 has better optics and longer focal length.

So, which is the better telescope?

Some things to note:

- I don't want to carry things heavier than my CPU.

- I'm short (4'10).

- Maximum budget is about $350.

Edited by axl2468, 12 May 2017 - 12:25 AM.

#2 overnight

overnight

Vanguard

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 12 May 2017 - 12:29 AM

How much weight is your CPU?

Consider a 8" Dobsonian. Yes it is heavy, but is WAY WAY (more emphasis needed) better than any scopes you've mentioned. Its at least worth a nice look.

https://www.bhphotov...nid=98&c3ch=CSE

Scope is on the bottom, so you should have no trouble looking through it.

Anyways, what do you want to look at?

Planets = 4.5 Dobsonian due to the long F/L

General objects = AWB OneSky 130.

#3 GaryCurran

GaryCurran

Vanguard

• Loc: Poulsbo, Washington

Posted 12 May 2017 - 12:30 AM

https://explorescien...fl-ar1021000eq3

Take a look at that.  Get a Meade 8-24mm Zoom Eyepiece from AgenaAstro.  You'll be a little over your $350 budget, but not much, and you'll probably have a better scope.

http://agenaastro.co...m-eyepiece.html

Of course, Agena Astro has the Skywatcher 8" Dob on sale for $355.

http://agenaastro.co...ope-s11610.html

(Or, get the same thing from B&H Photo as listed above for less money!)

Edited by GaryCurran, 12 May 2017 - 01:19 AM.

#4 overnight

overnight

Vanguard

Posted 12 May 2017 - 12:35 AM

https://explorescien.../fl-ar1021000eq

Take a look at that.  Get a Meade 8-24mm Zoom Eyepiece from AgenaAstro.  You'll be a little over your $350 budget, but not much, and you'll probably have a better scope.

http://agenaastro.co...m-eyepiece.html

Of course, Agena Astro has the Skywatcher 8" Dob on sale for $355.

http://agenaastro.co...ope-s11610.html

(Or, get the same thing from B&H Photo as listed above for less money!)

Just a note, but your top link doesn't work. (deleting this post after its fixed)

Last number accidentally got chopped off.  tongue2.gif

Still isn't working. (deleting this too)

#5 axl2468

axl2468

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 May 2017 - 12:44 AM

Consider a 8" Dobsonian. Yes it is heavy, but is WAY WAY (more emphasis needed) better than any scopes you've mentioned. Its at least worth a nice look.

1. My CPU weighs about 20 pounds (Don't know how much exactly)

2. I actually plan to bring this to dark skies (to either two of my grandparent's homes which are 273km and 415km away)

2a. Since my family doesn't have a car, I plan to bring my future telescope in a bus

3. I want to look at DSOs, if possible. Planets are also fine if I can't do that.

By the way GaryCurran, if the link above doesn't work, just give me the name. I'll check it out.

(EDIT: Nevermind, found it.)

Edited by axl2468, 12 May 2017 - 12:50 AM.

#6 axl2468

axl2468

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 May 2017 - 12:50 AM

How heavy is the FL-AR1021000EQ3?

#7 overnight

overnight

Vanguard

Posted 12 May 2017 - 12:55 AM

2. I actually plan to bring this to dark skies (to either two of my grandparent's homes which are 273km and 415km away)

2a. Since my family doesn't have a car, I plan to bring my future telescope in a bus

3. I want to look at DSOs, if possible. Planets are also fine if I can't do that.

By the way GaryCurran, if the link above doesn't work, just give me the name. I'll check it out.

1. That's heavy!

2. See all the stuff in my signature? I bring that all (few exceptions like the FirstScope) to my dark sky site which is a 1 hour drive away. 200 pounds in total that can fit in my van.

Especially the 8" telescope.

2a. I'm confused. How will you go to a dark sky site?

3. DSOs are going to be best shown in a 8" Dob within your budget. Planets might be where you going if you get a smaller scope.

4. The AR102 with the EQ-3 is 33 pounds in total, compared to the 8" Dob which is 45 pounds.

Edited by overnight, 12 May 2017 - 12:58 AM.

#8 axl2468

axl2468

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:13 AM

1. That's heavy!

2. See all the stuff in my signature? I bring that ALL to my dark sky site which is a 1 hour drive away. Around 400 pounds in total that can fit in my van.

2a. I'm confused. How will you go to a dark sky site.

3. DSOs ain't impressive unless you have a decent sized telescope. Planets might be where you going.

4. The AR102 with the EQ-3 is 33 pounds in total, compared to the 8" Dob which is 45 pounds.

1. Actually, I just based that on rough estimations of computer parts. I'm having trouble figuring out the true weight.

2a. What I meant was, we have a house at those locations that I can stay for some nights. Also, the reason for using the bus is because I could place it on the trunk (although I would need to put lots and lots of padding) or just bring it with me inside.

4. It's heavy if you ask me. I'm still a teenager (14 years old), and my body isn't really that active (I only exercise to stay in shape).

Any suggestions for less-heavy telescopes? It's okay if its 3 or 4 pounds more heavier than the scopes I listed.

#9 overnight

overnight

Vanguard

Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:18 AM

1. That's heavy!

2. See all the stuff in my signature? I bring that ALL to my dark sky site which is a 1 hour drive away. Around 400 pounds in total that can fit in my van.

3. DSOs ain't impressive unless you have a decent sized telescope. Planets might be where you going.

1. Actually, I just based that on rough estimations of computer parts. I'm having trouble figuring out the true weight.

2a. What I meant was, we have a house at those locations that I can stay for some nights. Also, the reason for using the bus is because I could place it on the trunk (although I would need to put lots and lots of padding) or just bring it with me inside.

4. It's heavy if you ask me. I'm still a teenager (14 years old), and my body isn't really that active (I only exercise to stay in shape).

Any suggestions for less-heavy telescopes? It's okay if its 3 or 4 pounds more heavier than the scopes I listed.

1. OK.

2a. OK.

4. I'm 13.

http://www.telescope...CFYOKfgodg_0M_g

Under $350, 6 inch mirror with good optics, lots of objects including DSOs visible through this. Also some eyepieces. I'd have this if I needed a 6" scope, which I do not.

Also 23.5 lbs, which shouldn't be a problem.

There's also a $450 version that comes with an intelliscope, which I don't recommend.

Edited by overnight, 12 May 2017 - 01:25 AM.

#10 axl2468

axl2468

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:25 AM

1. That's heavy!

1. OK.

2a. OK.

4. I'm 13.

http://www.telescope...CFYOKfgodg_0M_g

With that age, I imagine you have someone to help you.

By the way, the last telescope you mentioned is interesting. Will I need a table or can get a small chair?

#11 GaryCurran

GaryCurran

Vanguard

Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:33 AM

Considering all the information you've given us, including the need to carry it on a bus, get the AWB One Sky, I'm sure you'll be happy with that.  Except, I don't think you can get it in the Philippines, unless you have someone in the U.S. to buy it and ship it there.

If you can't get the AWB, here's a copy of it from Skywatcher.

http://www.skywatche.../heritage-p130/

You'll need to find a distributor, though.

• SteveG likes this

#12 axl2468

axl2468

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:35 AM

Considering all the information you've given us, including the need to carry it on a bus, get the AWB One Sky, I'm sure you'll be happy with that.  Except, I don't think you can get it in the Philippines, unless you have someone in the U.S. to buy it and ship it there.

If you can't get the AWB, here's a copy of it from Skywatcher.

http://www.skywatche.../heritage-p130/

You'll need to find a distributor, though.

Don't worry, I've got somebody who can buy it for me in US.

#13 overnight

overnight

Vanguard

Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:36 AM

With that age, I imagine you have someone to help you.

By the way, the last telescope you mentioned is interesting. Will I need a table or can get a small chair?

1. Not necessarily, only needed when lazy lol.gif or if I need to go to a dark sky site. Anyways I don't trust anyone with my stuff...

2. Just somewhere to put it on, as its too short to be on the ground. Any table will be fine, and you can stand up or sit on a chair.

Edited by overnight, 12 May 2017 - 01:38 AM.

#14 axl2468

axl2468

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:42 AM

By the way, one last question:

What accessories are good alongside the StarBlast 6? I could extend my budget, but that will also extend the time on which I save money.

#15 overnight

overnight

Vanguard

Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:46 AM

By the way, one last question:

What accessories are good alongside the StarBlast 6? I could extend my budget, but that will also extend the time on which I save money.

The focuser is an ancient 1.25". However, the eyepieces that come with it are pretty good, so I'd say a 15mm premium EP. The only thing you could save up for is really just a better telescope.

Edited by overnight, 12 May 2017 - 01:47 AM.

#16 axl2468

axl2468

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:51 AM

Thanks for your help!

I had no idea someone your age could know this much. :)

#17 overnight

overnight

Vanguard

Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:54 AM

Thanks for your help!

I had no idea someone your age could know this much. smile.gif

There's plenty of people like me out there, even here.

#18 GaryCurran

GaryCurran

Vanguard

Posted 12 May 2017 - 02:22 AM

It's not age, it's attitude.  If you are interested in something, you'll learn about it, and from the knowledge gained, you'll be able to teach others.

I had no idea until tonight that Overnight was only 13.  Doesn't matter, his comments are still worth listening to.

Me, I'm OOOOLLLLLDDDD!!!  :p

• Roger Corbett likes this

#19 overnight

overnight

Vanguard

Posted 12 May 2017 - 02:27 AM

It's not age, it's attitude.  If you are interested in something, you'll learn about it, and from the knowledge gained, you'll be able to teach others.

I had no idea until tonight that Overnight was only 13.  Doesn't matter, his comments are still worth listening to.

Me, I'm OOOOLLLLLDDDD!!!  tongue2.gif

Ha! laugh.gif

#20 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Hubble

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:02 AM

I then decided on getting an Orion Spaceprobe 3 because I didn't have budget to buy bigger scopes I wanted.
Then, I also found out that also had slightly wobbly mounts and the eyepieces were mediocre. I wanted a better, bigger scope but portable and inexpensive.

Actually, the eyepieces of the SpaceProbe 3 are just fine. They are, in any case, almost identical to the ones supplied with the AWB OneSky. And the mount is surprisingly steady. However, there's no doubt that the two telescopes listed below are far superior in almost every way.

So I'm still deciding on two telescopes:
The AWB Onesky or the Skyquest 4.5.

I know that while the AWB Onesky has better light-gathering abilities, the Skyquest 4.5 has better optics and longer focal length.
So, which is the better telescope?

I would not say that the SkyQuest 4.5 has better optics. In general, both scopes have quite good optics. Which one is better probably depends on the luck of the draw -- there's a lot of individual variation in optical quality for any telescope in this price range.

I believe that the OneSky is available only in the U.S. Elsewhere, a very similar but not quite identical scope is sold under the SkyWatcher brand name.

The longer focal length and better focuser of the SkyQuest 4.5 might give it a slight edge for planetary observing. Otherwise, I'd say that the OneSky is better and more versatile. It is certainly more portable, but unlike the SkyQuest 4.5, it is not free-standing; you do need to put it on a table or other support. The stability of the OneSky is often limited by the table it's placed upon.

This is a very tough choice; these are two of my all-time-ever favorite telescopes. You can't go wrong with either one.

• overnight likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics