•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

York County Star Party- PA

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 The Ardent

The Ardent

Aurora

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 12 May 2017 - 04:41 PM

Anyone going to this?
http://www.skyshedpo...star-party.html

#2 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Skylab

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:21 PM

I didn't realize they moved it to May. It's normally in July. It's only a few miles from me. I'll have to check it out.

#3 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:35 PM

I live fairly close to the site of this star party (and the former Mason-Dixon Star Party) and attended it last year.

Dave Mitsky

#4 Rich_W

Rich_W

Mariner 2

• Loc: Pennsylvania

Posted 14 May 2017 - 08:29 PM

I'm expecting to be there. I attended last year and several of the previous Mason-Dixon star parties at the same site and have always enjoyed the events there. 

#5 MDSPPhil

MDSPPhil

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 30 August 2019 - 08:23 AM

Hello all, I have been keeping this party going with the help from some friends.

I just held the 2019 party last week, after finding a suitable location about 3 months ago.  Losing 2 locations in 2 years, and not having time to publicize much due to my time constraints, we had modest success at what I feel is the best dark site i've ever had in my 25 years involvement with this party.  I need to be brief here, but one clear night we could see the Milky way treetop to treetop, and the next night I could still see it with a crescent moon that was about 45 degrees above the horizon.  After 2 1/2 days of rain, there was no mud in Susquehannock State Park, even where vehicles drove into the field, NO WHITE LIGHTS VISIBLE from anywhere, flush toilets, power and water on site, and Showers available (at a fee) at a nearby campground.  I will be posting 2020 info on my website and on Cloudy Nights once I've chosen an August or September new moon date.  Please Google York County Star Party and my website pops up.  I will be asking recent attendees to post their opinions here.  Thank you for reading this.  Phil

• Dave Mitsky, peleuba, Midnight Skies and 3 others like this

#6 peleuba

peleuba

Surveyor 1

• Loc: North of Baltimore, MD

Posted 03 September 2019 - 04:13 PM

I will be posting 2020 info on my website and on Cloudy Nights once I've chosen an August or September new moon date.  Please Google York County Star Party and my website pops up.  I will be asking recent attendees to post their opinions here.  Thank you for reading this.  Phil

Hi Phil,

I did not attend as I was moving my oldest son into college, but have been to your events previously -  always well run and fun.  

The new moon for August 2020 falls on Wednesday 8/19 - so you'll have a choice between holding it the weekend prior (8/14, 8/15, 8/16) or the weekend after (8/21, 8/22, 8/22)  September new moon falls on a Thursday, 9/17 so its best to do (9/18, 9/19, 9/20).  But, this will likely be the same weekend as the Black Forest Star Party.

I am personally against star parties in the Mid-Atlantic and points further south in July and August because its too hot and often quite humid during the day.  And, lately, the Summers have been very wet.  

Have you considered October?  Comfortable temps, historically dry, early darkness and often transparent skies.

October is the last full-time observing month for many of us until March.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics