•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

It's here!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 March 2004 - 07:14 PM

link to pics later. My Nexstar 8 GPS just arrived. I have everything set up - BUT there are three small, black, round, holed pieces, threaded on the inside, and I have no idea where they go! The Finderscope is on okay. What will fall apart if I can't figure out where they go?

You can email me....

:jump:

#2 Steve Landry

Steve Landry

Viking 1

Posted 25 March 2004 - 08:04 PM

:yay:

Woohoo!!!!!!!!
Congrats, what's the weather like?

BUT there are three small, black, round, holed pieces, threaded on the inside

Inside of what? the eyepiece end? The corrector end?

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 March 2004 - 08:16 PM

http://homepage.mac....otoAlbum12.html

They were just in a bag inside the big box. See picture in the link.

#4 Steve Landry

Steve Landry

Viking 1

Posted 25 March 2004 - 08:21 PM

I honestly have no idea what they are for. I don't remember seeing these with my scope.

Maybe someone else can help??

Will you get a chance for 1st light tonight??

#5 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 March 2004 - 08:29 PM

It's the cloudiest it's been in a month! It says "partly" cloudy - so if the clouds part, I am going outside if even for 5 minutes. I must look through this things. I certainly can't pick it up and go like the NS 5! It's big. :)

#6 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 March 2004 - 08:41 PM

It helps if you read the manual. :o

There are several (6) holes on the mount. Three for the tripod and three for the wedge if I get one. They are "open" - no threads. I put those pieces in when I use the wedge, if I get one, and I will. ;)

It's soooooo cloudy!!! Man, the universe is against me!

#7 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 25 March 2004 - 08:43 PM

Don't worry about those plastic inserts; you won't be needing them for a while. They are used when a wedge is installed onto the tripod. They go into the holes through which the three large mounting bolts go when you mount the scope directly onto the tripod. Just put 'em somewhere safe until then.

#8 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 March 2004 - 10:19 PM

Question to other NS GPS owners. When I unlock the clutches and move attitude, about a half inch before the tape level markers, I hear a small "click, click" when it is moved past that one area. It kind of sounds like I little rolling ball. Is this the internal compass? I read there is a sound like this in the GPS accessory that Celestron says is normal. since my GPS is internal, I assume it's just that (I hope, I hope).

So far I love the thing - I haven't had it out but have placed different eyepieces on it (I have many Ultimas, some standard pls, Ultima Barlow, and an adapter eyepiece from Scopetronix for mounting my digital camera to.

I have the fine focus motor for the NS 5 but it won't fit in this I guess. I was going to take a look though and see if I can rig something up since the two are basically the same thing with just a different sized hole for the visual back. I may add the Skylight, Dust cover filter on the back. I know so much more about scopes now that I have this baby than I did when I got the NS 5. It really pays to start moderately (one never knows with a hobby if it will catch on or not), and then move up I think. Don't short change yourself but don't break the bank for the first time if you are REALLY green. I can now see the wisdom of starting moderately, for me anyway (even though I was well-read, I never used a scope until two years ago). I can't wait to take this thing to my dark sites. One concern is how to transport it - I can't load up that box. The carrying case is $300 but looks nice. I was going to get some foam and cut it and make my own with a container with wheels and few handles. I'll need it with this - my should and back hurt already from lifting many times tonight. (I am not a big, robust person, and I had a shoulder replaced so I have to be careful - but i thought this scope would be the best for size, power, money and beauty given my physical limitations.)

I just can't wait - the forecast say rain until next week or at least cloudy. Figures. We've had some beautiful nights of late (almost every night!) and now they are gone. I don't teach until Tuesday so I have four days to play and learn the things with dry runs indoors using StarryNight Pro.

I must say though, this looks like one fine scope for the money. It costs as much as my high-end iMac (a year ago anyway), and to think of the computing power I have on my desk for that money, and now the seeing power I have at my hands for the money, it really is quite amazing what one can set up in his home if he plans and saves right (patience is the key). I mean this thing is university lab level and I just grabbed one at a cheap price and had in two days. (I see many posts with "About to buy" and I even posted one a week ago - but a week - I just stopped talking and bought the darn thing. There's a thing line between being wise about it and over-analysis (and if anyone can over-analze, I'm a philosopher for crying out loud!). Everyone reaches that point I think. You have to act sometime and I have been working with a pro to give me advice along the way for about a month. But my goodness, the technology anyone can have now for a relatively small investment. Incredible. Galileo would be amazed.

#9 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 25 March 2004 - 10:24 PM

Question to other NS GPS owners. When I unlock the clutches and move attitude, about a half inch before the tape level markers, I hear a small "click, click" when it is moved past that one area. It kind of sounds like I little rolling ball. Is this the internal compass?

That's the level switch, which is a crude rolling ball. The compass is more sophisticated; no moving parts!

If that ball ever sticks in its track the scope will put on a nice little show for you as it does continous loop-the-loops (unless there's a dew shield installed, in which case it's not quite as amusing when it hits coming around)! :bounce:

#10 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators

Posted 25 March 2004 - 10:26 PM

It's the leveling mechanism. You apparently have set it up. Haven you turned it on yet? Just turn it on and follow the setup directions. When you get to the alignment star part, just accept it and go to the next section. You can then slew all over your living room and get a feel for the controls. This is assuming you can get a GPS signal in your house. Had to move mine around a bit in the living room before I got a lock.

Above all, read the instruction manual, then read it again.

#11 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 March 2004 - 10:45 PM

Oh yes, I am doing a dry align (as I call it) and have it hooked up to StarryNight. I can tell if it's in the general area with that and have SN follow it. It did grab GPS in the house with the screen door open.

#12 Ricky

Ricky

Gemini

Posted 25 March 2004 - 11:15 PM

Congratulations! A real nice rig there! :jump:

#13 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 March 2004 - 02:16 PM

We''l the clouds broke for a few minutes. While not simple, I managed to drag it outside at 2AM (I don't work today!), and took a look at Jupiter - very nice, crisp detail, flat and contrasty (the XLT? I haven't compared with a non-XLT, but is it has a lot of contract and I'm in light pollution at home). Didn't have to squint to see the bands - they were there right on. It appears to have survived shipping collimated very well.

One question - how long does it take to link up to the GPS? I waited 15 minutes outside and it never got it. There is a small roof on the porch but those signals can get around that. I know it says the first time and after a long distance change it takes a while, but how long? I am thinking I'll take it out this afternoon and get it to link when I have time to sit and wait.

Of course, it's very cloudy today again and will be raining all week end. It's been beautiful for the last three weeks! April's coming. But man, this is hard and disappointing - i REALLY want to give this a thorough testing and run through while good things are still high in the sky.

I've read the manual three times - BEFORE it got here! :)

It is gorgeous, too.

#14 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 26 March 2004 - 02:28 PM

One question - how long does it take to link up to the GPS? I waited 15 minutes outside and it never got it. There is a small roof on the porch but those signals can get around that. I know it says the first time and after a long distance change it takes a while, but how long?

It can take 45 minutes or so the first time in a new location; after that it'll be 3 to 5 minutes. Be aware that due to antenna location these things don't perform as well for GPS reception as the handheld units; they are fussier about their environment. The Meades are much worse; on my deck I had to remove the finderscope to get reception.

Don't forget to inout your local time zone - that's a common startup problem with new Nexstar (and Meade) owners.

#15 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 March 2004 - 04:44 PM

How long do I wait for GPS until I start over? I've waited an hour. still linking. The house is to the East, relatively unobstructed N, S, W. How unobstructed must it be anyway? When do I try again?

Thanks in advance.

#16 DavidY

DavidY

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 26 March 2004 - 05:20 PM

This is just a point of reference on the GPS acquire. I know that Celestron is in CA where I live so the GPS may already know about the satellites, when I turned on my scope for the first time it took less than 3 minutes for the scope to acquire. Yes this surprised me that it was so quick. I left it on for another hour as I played around. I also put the scope out in the backyard so that there would be no obstruction at all on the first try. I did check the Lat/Long using the handset and it was the correct.

If you look at the Tips section on the Nexstar11 site, it says the GPS is at the top of the fork arm that holds the HC and should take 3-5 minutes to acquire. THe scope should be placed away from any obstruction. God forbid you have the problem mentioned in #3, the dead GPS battery.

BTW Thank You Dave C for your wealth of information that I read many times in the week I waited for my scope. :bow: :bow:

#17 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 26 March 2004 - 07:04 PM

If you look at the Tips section on the Nexstar11 site, it says the GPS is at the top of the fork arm that holds the HC and should take 3-5 minutes to acquire. THe scope should be placed away from any obstruction. God forbid you have the problem mentioned in #3, the dead GPS battery.

If the telescope is moved a substantial distance the ephemeris info maintained by the battery becomes useless anyway. Even if it is dead it's no worse than if it isn't after a relocation - so long as the telescope is left on long enough to charge it. The symptom will be that it takes a long time to acquire GPS on two separate sessions in the same area.

Once it does acquire signal for the first time, be sure to leave it on for an additional 45 minutes as mentioned in the manual; this permits it to complete the satellite list. That's what will enable it to lock in three minutes from then on.

#18 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 March 2004 - 07:31 PM

Well. it's been three hours and three attempts. I moved the scope even.

#19 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 March 2004 - 07:52 PM

Problem? # 2 - Run away slews. Okay, I am centering an object, I tap, tap, tap the direction arrow and almost every time on the third one it takes off on me about 100 degrees of more, in both Alt and Az. It happens only on Rate = 9 I think (or at least it doesn't at lower rates). I haven't adjusted backlash or anything).

I hope this thing is alright. :praying:

#20 DavidY

DavidY

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 27 March 2004 - 04:37 PM

astromacus,

Have you got the Nexstar running yet? You can always try a different alignment to check out your scope, like the Auto or Two Star which don't need the GPS.

I've actually been trying to make mine "fail" to see if I get the same issues as you, so far no luck. As far as the tap tap tap goes, I would ensure that there is no spinning bar which indicates the Nexstar is moving before pressing a direction button.

David

#21 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 March 2004 - 04:58 PM

No, I took it out farther from the house and still nothing but we only waited 10 minutes each time because viewing was limited and Jupiter was up and I wanted to see what my new scope could do - WOW! The detail is incredible and this is with light pollution. I got a few good pics too. The details on the bands - they don't just look just like bands now, but are veined and detailed. and though light is more important than magnification, I am somewhat surprised at hoe much magnification I got. definitely with a 8 inch scope one will use 18-12mm eyepieces A LOT. So a 15 Panoptic is in my future. I may try an Axiom for wide field (I love the Ultimas).

So I am recharging the GPS battery per the GPS site. The plan is to charge it, try it then, if nothing take it to the State Park where there are no obstructions for sure and if that doesn't do it call Celestron (or astronomics). What counts as am obstruction? These are just radio waves aren't they?

The scope itself will run with just doing a fake two star align; I enter the date, time etc and then hit enter and it goes for the stars. I then enter an object too see how close it got and it is pretty good actually. Sometimes the object will be in the Finderscope, other times about 50 degrees off or so. (Seeing is so bad, cloudy one second, clear the next, I just haven't had a chance to really do a proper star align yet).

So the scope is fine - the optics superb (especially after the 5 inch! and with the XLT) - it will align. The two problems are (1) no GPS and (2) the slewing problem which is VERY annoying because it happens as I am centering something in the Finderscope and it takes off when I just tap the direction button just as the object is being centered. It seems to happen at rates 9-6 or so (I didn't check out every rate yet, but it's pretty consistent). The Backlash has not been set and I was wondering about that, but this is more than backlash.

So I will see about the GPS after I charge and have a chance to try the most unobstructed pace I can get (though some have said they can get it in their living rooms!?), and try to figure out this slewing thing - any suggestions on that would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for all your helps guys. I'm not a newbie but not a seasoned pro either.

#22 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators

Posted 27 March 2004 - 06:12 PM

I think if you read the directions (remember them?) there's something about tapping the direction keys to make it slew.

#23 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 March 2004 - 02:53 AM

Yes, obviously, tapping the direction keys makes it slew. :smirk: That's the point. But it's supposed to stop slewing when you release unless you've directed it towards a... never mind. It also happens not tapping but holding down for a moment - but completely randomn. I've read the manual at least four times complete now (two times before it got here) and have it memorized - I didn't see this. Can you be more specific about where in the manual? Page #?

Unfortunately, one person who does know very much what he talking about (wrote the NexStar book) said it sounds serious. I am VERY nervous.

#24 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators

Posted 28 March 2004 - 11:12 AM

Dang, you're gonna make me get the manual out. I was going by memory too. There's a function where you hit the direction key a couple times and it puts the scope in a slewing mode and stays there until you hit another key. Sorry, I live in Wisconsin and don't get to actually do these things very often.

:cloudy:

If Mike says there's a problem, I would not dispute that.

#25 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators

Posted 28 March 2004 - 11:25 AM

My mistake. I remembered wrong and should have looked it up. Here's what I was referring to and it doesn't address your problem:

The hand control has a "double button" feature that allows you to instantly speed up the motors without having to choose a speed rate. To use this feature, simply press the arrow button that corresponds to the direction that you want to move the telescope. While holding that button down, press the opposite directional button. This will increase the slew rate to the maximum slew rate.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics