•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

It's here!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

#26 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 March 2004 - 06:43 PM

Yeah, it's going back to Celestron (not happy about paying all the shipping for a four day old scope) or for an exchange for the same product where I bought it. :flame: :tonofbricks:

Someone mentioned, for the GPS problem, that I look in the fork arm for a loose wire seating. How many screws would have to come off and how involved would this be? I don't want to mess anything else up, god knows.

Darn!! I was soooooo excited and this has dampened my enthusiasm to say the least (he says kicking the wall!!). I'm bummed... :undecided:

#27 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 28 March 2004 - 07:59 PM

Yeah, it's going back to Celestron (not happy about paying all the shipping for a four day old scope) or for an exchange for the same product where I bought it. :flame: :tonofbricks:

I'm really sorry to hear that. My NX11GPS arrived with a nonfunctioning GPS receiver and was sent to Celestron for repairs. They did pick up the shipping charges both ways, though - and probably do the same for you if you ask. The good news is that they turned it around quickly and it looked like new when I received it back even though I had used it for several weeks and had dewed up the corrector badly one night, leaving a mess.

I have purchased two other Nexstar GPS scopes, both the 8" version and both were perfect out of the box.

#28 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 March 2004 - 12:47 PM

There is hope!

I bought it at astronomics.com. The reasons were (1) low prices, units before the current price increase (2) they are in OK and I am in NE - 480 miles apart to be exact. For $50 dollars shipping I got it in two - I said TWO - days! The people there are very nice and I just got off the phone with them. They will call Celestron, have them ship it out, and once Celestron says they will take it back, they (astronomics) send me a replacement. I went that route instead of Celestron for now because it will be quicker, and I have been playing phone tag with Celestron for 3 weeks now on another matter. It might take weeks to actually talk to someone there and I want my scope now!!!

So, I am unhappy but not as much as this week end. You all here have been encouraging and I appreciate it. Because of these forums I can tell whomever I talk to "Don't ask if I tried x, y or z.... I have" because you all gave me so many tips.

One note though: It was clear skies last night and I took this baby out. amazing, simply amazing views. I am in a pretty polluted area but it cut through the light pollution well (I have an AstroZap dew shield, and a LP filer). The filter really did work well, even if it makes everything greenish. Jupiter was a sight to behold. I clearly saw the poles, all bands were very detailed, veiny even. On Saturn, Cassini was obvious, as well as the other division (whose name escapes me right now), and I swear I saw color! The Orion Nebula was fantastic - much higher contrast. And generally, when I point up the stars fill the FOV because it grabs such larger magnitudes. (Mercury was too low though bright I hear.) I LOVE this scope's optics, no doubt about that. The moon is incredibly detailed. One of the Walls was as dark as can be. I can't wait to take this out to my dark site.

As for GoTo - I did a two star align and went a few places. It was dead on each time. And the tracking is superb so far - quiet and very accurate.

Two things are sort annoying: (1) The finderscope - I keep bumping into the eyepiece looking through the finderscope. I just have to turn the eyepiece to the right though. I liked the red dot actually and will probbaly mount that on the 8 GPS when I get a good one, so I'l have two finderscopes. The 9x10 takes some getting used. (2) Placing the scope on the tripod. I think I mentioned that a few years ago my left shoulder was broken in five places and now I have a Titanium arm! Anyway, I need to be careful lifting too heavy of objects. Centering it is quite the task! But I am going to get a Launching Pad for it. And once we move (which we are getting ready to do) from a house with no garage with a basement entrance, to a home with a garage with basement entrance, It will be in the basement, set up on a platform with wheels, so all I have to do is roll it out and take off the platform Right now in this house it seems impractical but we manage.

One last thing - it does vibrate a lot. I was surprised at this being such a heavy scope. Part of it is the porch but even on concrete it will shake if nudged. So I will be getting vibration pads as well. With the Launching Pad and Vibration Reduction pads, I should be all set for ease of set up and stability.

Then I will slowly add camera T-rings and mounts and piggyback and wedge (though that wedge looks like it would be a real job to mount!).

All in all, a great scope. I can't wait until I get one that works.

and thanks to all at cloudy nights. I'll keep you posted, I'll try to contribute to the discussions here, and you'll observe my growth into astrophotography. :D

Cheers. Sorry for the wordy posts, but that's just me - I'm a teacher and so very verbal, and I like words. :)

#29 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 29 March 2004 - 12:53 PM

One last thing - it does vibrate a lot. I was surprised at this being such a heavy scope.

Oops - that's not right. The NX8GPS is one of the most stable forkmount scopes I've ever used. That makes me wonder... did you leave the rubber carpet protector feet on the tripod legs? The scope will shake like Jello with those on. Take 'em off if they are still in place.

#30 conus

conus

Gemini

Posted 29 March 2004 - 02:04 PM

It will be in the basement, set up on a platform with wheels, so all I have to do is roll it out and take off the platform

Mine never comes off JMI's Wheely bars. I just roll it out of the garage, aim it north, lock the wheels and go.

#31 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 March 2004 - 03:43 PM

I'll take a look. Thanks.

#32 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 March 2004 - 03:43 PM

John, I did leave them on. Thanks.

#33 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 29 March 2004 - 03:48 PM

John, I did leave them on. Thanks.

Great! That's the quickest and easiest fix you are ever likely to do. It'll make all the difference.

#34 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 April 2004 - 05:09 PM

The new scope arrived today and works great! GPS links in five seconds (yes, I said "seconds."). I have posted something in the NexStar GPS forum (where this should have gone I guess!)

So a happy ending.

#35 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators

Posted 06 April 2004 - 09:01 AM

No, I took it out farther from the house and still nothing but we only waited 10 minutes each time because viewing was limited and Jupiter was up and I wanted to see what my new scope could do - WOW! The detail is incredible and this is with light pollution. I got a few good pics too. The details on the bands - they don't just look just like bands now, but are veined and detailed. and though light is more important than magnification, I am somewhat surprised at hoe much magnification I got. definitely with a 8 inch scope one will use 18-12mm eyepieces A LOT. So a 15 Panoptic is in my future. I may try an Axiom for wide field (I love the Ultimas).

So I am recharging the GPS battery per the GPS site. The plan is to charge it, try it then, if nothing take it to the State Park where there are no obstructions for sure and if that doesn't do it call Celestron (or astronomics). What counts as am obstruction? These are just radio waves aren't they?

The scope itself will run with just doing a fake two star align; I enter the date, time etc and then hit enter and it goes for the stars. I then enter an object too see how close it got and it is pretty good actually. Sometimes the object will be in the Finderscope, other times about 50 degrees off or so. (Seeing is so bad, cloudy one second, clear the next, I just haven't had a chance to really do a proper star align yet).

So the scope is fine - the optics superb (especially after the 5 inch! and with the XLT) - it will align. The two problems are (1) no GPS and (2) the slewing problem which is VERY annoying because it happens as I am centering something in the Finderscope and it takes off when I just tap the direction button just as the object is being centered. It seems to happen at rates 9-6 or so (I didn't check out every rate yet, but it's pretty consistent). The Backlash has not been set and I was wondering about that, but this is more than backlash.

So I will see about the GPS after I charge and have a chance to try the most unobstructed pace I can get (though some have said they can get it in their living rooms!?), and try to figure out this slewing thing - any suggestions on that would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for all your helps guys. I'm not a newbie but not a seasoned pro either.

I would check out a 19mm panoptic, one thing about the 15mm panoptic is that it is hard to get all of the FOV because of the horrid eyerelief....

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics