•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My Journey with Evolution WiFi

• Please log in to reply
197 replies to this topic

#176 Rac19

Rac19

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 August 2017 - 09:15 PM

Hello, RLawson,

I hate to knock any company, but I am very frustrated with the Evolution WiFi because it is not performing as promised. The SCT is a very nice performing scope, LSM  14.7 and res: 0.57 (8")  and the mount performs well , but their WiFi apparently is weak or the  antenna is faulty ( earlier comments from other owners)  This is from me, personally. Some of the other members have done 'work-arounds' and aren't as 'mad' as I am.  Maybe they were and they got over it ? 

I don't know how to do some of this work around wifi stuff, and why should I  is my attitude. I bought and paid $1700.00 for a telescope that was advertised as a WiFi and it doesn't perform as they advertised. I think Celestron should be ashamed to have a product out there that is causing consumers such problems.

I have the 8" Evolution, and I have an equatorial mount, the Celestron Adv VX , which is a Go-To mount which works fine, I have Celestron eyepieces, they are good eyepieces, and I have a NexImage (inexpensive) camera which has produced some really good Moon pix.  Most everything is good merchandise, but beware of that Evolution WiFi, the mount is OK, it's just that WiFi unit.

Good Luck  elephant.gif

Elsie in Humble.Tx.

I really think that you need to take this up with the dealer that supplied the Evo. They should be able to help.

#177 RLawson

RLawson

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tennessee

Posted 03 August 2017 - 09:17 PM

Elsie

Sorry  you are having such problems with your scope. I agree, paying that kind of money for a product that does not live up to expectations is not good. I hope you can get your problems resolved soon. 

Rlawson

• Lcm47 likes this

#178 Lcm47

Lcm47

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Humble, Tx

Posted 03 August 2017 - 09:36 PM

Hi RAC,

Just finished reading (and re-reading) your blog. This kind of stuff is hard for  me to understand. I know nothing about IT. 

I just went to walmart and  found what you must be referring to as the 'pocket wifi router' . It's really small, as small as a credit card, the model # is TP-Link TL-MR3020, and it's about $36. From what I understand it will connect to a power source (my PC or maybe even the power source I use for the Scope ?)  Is that right ? Then it will establish a dedicated network ?

Oh by the way, I downloaded the app (the freebie)  to Analyze my Celestron wifi , I turned it on in the house, and there was all the data you mentioned in your message (looked just like your page and guess what !  It is Celestron-AA , it showed 20 MHz,  -50 dBm, and it is that Zentri Pty Ltd, address is 1.2.3.4.  Now that listing is on the  WiFi Signal page ; there must be 50 entries on that page, it's 8pm here and I guess everyone in the neighborhood is oneline. ****, I didn't know there was that much wifi traffic out there!

When I go to the  LAN Scan page, my Celestron-AA  can't even load up, I guess, it's not listed - but it did earlier. Is that the reason I can't get the App to link ? Too much competition of traffic ?

Do you think that little pocket wifi router would help ?. I always work on my back deck and I have plenty of power out there.

It's so frustrating not being able to use the wifi function, though I have to admit that the glass touch is more fussy than the HC.

Thanks for the informative message.  Elsie  undecided.gif

Hi Elsie,

It sounds like your situation is quite different to mine. I have nothing like 50 WiFi routers in my area. Do you live amongst a lot of apartments?

EDIT: Did you go to iPad Settings and connect to the scope before scanning? If you did, you should only see the scope ("Roving Networks" or "Zentri") and the iPad ("Apple") as per my images.

The Zentri module is the more powerful one and should be OK. You shouldn't need to use anything else. I don't know where you saw the figure of -50 dBm, but that is very low. It should be anyhing up to +18 dBm, but that does depend on distance from the scope. It is possible that you were seeing some else's scope, if you live in a high density location.

As for the pocket router, you first need to connect scope in Direct Connect mode to configure the "Access Point" parameters then switch the scope to Access Point mode. If you are not technically minded you I think that you will need help from someone who is.

You might to better to get the dealer who sold you the scope, to help you get WiFi working, using the built in Zentri module, which really should be strong enough.

Yeah, I live in a sub-division in Humble, Tx and there are probably 200 houses in the Sub-division.  I just didn't realize that there would be that many wifi signals, Wow !  I mean, I knew there were other wifi signals, but I didn't think I could see them !

BTW, I have Android phone and Android Galaxy Tablet, all works well and I do understand what you are talking about regarding the "Access Point",  I just hate stuff like that !   I'm never sure I will do it right and am not ever sure I understand what the instructions are telling me,  Oh well !    Yes, I did connect to the scope first.  I wondered about your page only showing 2 items.

On the Net Analyzer App, I saw the -50 dBm on the 'WiFi Signal' page, not the LAN page. It shows that name Zentri name, the MHz, the IP (?) 1.2.3.4 and the mac address,  4c:55:cc:12:7f:aa  and the name Celestron-AA. 

It might be possible to get some help from the dealership, I will talk with him.  I was in the store last week, looking at the Meade LightBridge 10" dob ; and I mentioned about the Celestron Evolution WiFi and even told him there were folks on CN who were having the same issues I was having.  He said he never heard anything like that.blahblah.gif       I think that is BS. He was aware of CN and you know he's heard these issues.  I'm not that stupid. So I don't know about his help, I bought the Evo in Feb 2016.

So maybe the first thing I should do is the Direct Access with "Access Point"  on the SkyPortal app with my own home network and see if that improves the linkage.

Thanks for all the info.  applause.gif

Elsie

#179 Rac19

Rac19

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 August 2017 - 09:59 PM

So maybe the first thing I should do is the Direct Access with "Access Point"  on the SkyPortal app with my own home network and see if that improves the linkage.

For Direct Connect, you go to the iPad's Settings and connect directly to the scope's WiFi, not your home network. Amongst the available networks you should see "SkyQLink-xx" or preferably "Celestron-xx" (the stronger newer module). If you see more than one Celestron WiFi, the best option is to select the strongest one and confirm that you have control of your scope and not someone else'ssmile.gif . I do wonder whether or not there is another Celestron WiFi nearby.

Access Point mode (via your home network) is not likely to improve the situation if your Celestron WiFi signal is weak. It is also requires more technical knowledge to set up.

Edited by Rac19, 03 August 2017 - 10:00 PM.

#180 WALee

WALee

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: McKinney, TX

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:47 PM

Any device you use to connect to your telescope Wifi can be interfered with by other strong WiFi signals. To get good connectivity you must get away from other strong WiFi signals. Almost everyone today has a strong WiFi router in there house. Direct Connect will not help you. The only thing that will help is to get 60 to 70 yards away from any houses.

Good Luck

• Lcm47 likes this

#181 Rac19

Rac19

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 August 2017 - 12:07 AM

Any device you use to connect to your telescope Wifi can be interfered with by other strong WiFi signals. To get good connectivity you must get away from other strong WiFi signals. Almost everyone today has a strong WiFi router in there house. Direct Connect will not help you. The only thing that will help is to get 60 to 70 yards away from any houses.

Good Luck

I might yet find out otherwise but it does seem that if you have the "Zentri" WiFi module with the stronger Tx output, this isn't a problem.

Many of us, with the weaker "Roving Networks" module have experienced this problem, and even following the official advice to configure your iPad (or tablet) to "forget" other networks doesn't help. Then there are some who find the "Roving Networks" module is OK (see #169 above). It could be that they have fewer or no competing networks.

#182 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 04 August 2017 - 12:09 AM

WiFi signals, even from a good router, as detected by your phone/tablet are typically in the -40 to-60dB range. The 'meter' function on most analyzer apps maxes out at -30 or even lower. 18dB at a transmitter's antenna attenuates very quickly with distance and don't forget that the antenna and radio in your phone/tablet are part of the equation.

Rod may chime in with more details - he dealt with radios professionally.

Here is an article that explains a bit:
https://supportforum...gative-wireless

#183 Rac19

Rac19

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 August 2017 - 12:25 AM

Now having said all this, it is not my intention to diminish the problems some of you are having with your scopes, but only to share my experience with what appears to be one of the older wifi modules, on a relatively new scope.   Peter A

We know that some, maybe many users have no problem with the "Roving Networks" module but at least some of us have real problems with it. None of us knows what the proportion of good versus bad experiences is.

To quote Gilbert and Sullivan "when its good its very good and when its bad, its awful". In my case, at times, this module doesn't register with my iPad even when held very close to the scope while scanning for networks.

In stark contrast, I can connect to the "Zentri" based module (as in the latest Celestron SkyPortal WiFi Module) though two plaster walls and the connection seems to be quite stable.

See https://www.celestro...tal-wifi-module

The bottom line is, if the built in Evolution WiFi works, happy days, if it doesn't there are ways to overcome the problem.

Edited by Rac19, 04 August 2017 - 12:39 AM.

#184 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 04 August 2017 - 12:41 AM

If one reads CN it is full of moans about poor Celestron Evolution WiFi and/or Starsense polar align that won't work on Alt-Az mounts with a wedge and similar. These are all genuine complaints from pioneers (like me) that were THE early adopters of new technology enhancements. Technically flawed kit was rushed to market and we became unofficial 'beta-testers'.

This should be put into a wider paradigm context. Barely two years ago, we were a somewhat Luddite community largely prepared to accept serial ports and hence a need to depend on dated Windows 7 laptops. Today, CFM and firmware updates have  (at last) caught up and recent Celestron hand controllers now have USB ports and the firmware updates have Windows 10 compatibility. However, user frustrations compounded because it wasn't clear at the outset that a PL2303 serial to USB driver needed to be installed along with the latest JAVA. I mention this because our quest to resolve the primary equipment flaws became doubly difficult as Celestron manuals remain shocking and fundamental fixes like a firmware update were a secondary nightmare. The third factor is we were all novices when it came to technology advance and simply wrestling with basic instructions/settings was often like solving a Suduko puzzle in the dark. 

In EVERY instance there is a workaround.  It is called the Nexstar +HC.

So if you abandon WiFi, and abandon trying to get Starsense to work with a wedge, and just get on with observing using the proven Nexstar +HC then astronomy becomes meaningful again.  I have no doubt if I bought my Evolution today its WiFi would be fine provided I bought it from a high turnover retailer where there is a lower risk of receiving old stock. But back to pioneers....

The trouble with the Nexstar +HC retro- route to satisfaction is the advertised new technology features it is replacing are supposed to work and premium prices have been paid. But I found myself utterly obsessed with the quest to find solutions. For most problems, the innovation of CN'ers has found workarounds letting Celestron off the hook. Has this quest for alternative solutions been enjoyable despite the frustrations? Yes, in that kind of way that appeals to railway modellers, computer geeks, model makers, car tinkerers etc. But for those that expect stuff to work out of the box it has been hell.

Frankly, I think we have reached a distinct turning point. Consumerism and modern communications technology has finally caught up with astronomy. That previous generation prepared to drift along with a ten year old laptop is in decline whilst the modern I-Pad user has arrived.  It is just a shame that Celestron hasn't seen fit to respect the pioneers that have helped it conclude this transition and we still have flawed equipment, albeit working fine in the old Nexstar + HC paradigm.

• lastshooter and Lcm47 like this

#185 Rac19

Rac19

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 August 2017 - 05:59 AM

WiFi signals, even from a good router, as detected by your phone/tablet are typically in the -40 to-60dB range. The 'meter' function on most analyzer apps maxes out at -30 or even lower. 18dB at a transmitter's antenna attenuates very quickly with distance and don't forget that the antenna and radio in your phone/tablet are part of the equation.

Rod may chime in with more details - he dealt with radios professionally.

Here is an article that explains a bit:
https://supportforum...gative-wireless

Thanks, I did wonder whether perhaps the measured dBm values might be in a totally different range to the Tx dBm values. I am totally ignorant on the subject and the version of Net Analyzer that I am using doesn't show signal strength.

• Lcm47 likes this

#186 lastshooter

lastshooter

Vostok 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 04 August 2017 - 07:53 AM

If one reads CN it is full of moans about poor Celestron Evolution WiFi and/or Starsense polar align that won't work on Alt-Az mounts with a wedge and similar. These are all genuine complaints from pioneers (like me) that were THE early adopters of new technology enhancements. Technically flawed kit was rushed to market and we became unofficial 'beta-testers'.

This should be put into a wider paradigm context. Barely two years ago, we were a somewhat Luddite community largely prepared to accept serial ports and hence a need to depend on dated Windows 7 laptops. Today, CFM and firmware updates have  (at last) caught up and recent Celestron hand controllers now have USB ports and the firmware updates have Windows 10 compatibility. However, user frustrations compounded because it wasn't clear at the outset that a PL2303 serial to USB driver needed to be installed along with the latest JAVA. I mention this because our quest to resolve the primary equipment flaws became doubly difficult as Celestron manuals remain shocking and fundamental fixes like a firmware update were a secondary nightmare. The third factor is we were all novices when it came to technology advance and simply wrestling with basic instructions/settings was often like solving a Suduko puzzle in the dark. 

In EVERY instance there is a workaround.  It is called the Nexstar +HC.

So if you abandon WiFi, and abandon trying to get Starsense to work with a wedge, and just get on with observing using the proven Nexstar +HC then astronomy becomes meaningful again.  I have no doubt if I bought my Evolution today its WiFi would be fine provided I bought it from a high turnover retailer where there is a lower risk of receiving old stock. But back to pioneers....

The trouble with the Nexstar +HC retro- route to satisfaction is the advertised new technology features it is replacing are supposed to work and premium prices have been paid. But I found myself utterly obsessed with the quest to find solutions. For most problems, the innovation of CN'ers has found workarounds letting Celestron off the hook. Has this quest for alternative solutions been enjoyable despite the frustrations? Yes, in that kind of way that appeals to railway modellers, computer geeks, model makers, car tinkerers etc. But for those that expect stuff to work out of the box it has been hell.

Frankly, I think we have reached a distinct turning point. Consumerism and modern communications technology has finally caught up with astronomy. That previous generation prepared to drift along with a ten year old laptop is in decline whilst the modern I-Pad user has arrived.  It is just a shame that Celestron hasn't seen fit to respect the pioneers that have helped it conclude this transition and we still have flawed equipment, albeit working fine in the old Nexstar + HC paradigm.

Reading all of the problems and agreeing with Noah4x4 I truly hate to say this but I would suggest some might look into the SkyFi 3. Its over priced thats for sure but it's built to work with SkySafari 5 and has what imo is needed the thwart all "the internet of things" interference of telescope WiFi. Just 3 months ago I was going to purchase a Evo 8 edge HD and this is one of the deciding factors not to. I then researched the SkyFi 3 and took that route.

Zooming out and looking at the years the Evo was being developed and as a good example 200 houses in one subdivision with 50 networks in range along with printers,refrigerators, surveillance cameras and god only knows what else is just mind altering just was not around during that era. It seems humankind has created a living breathing entity of huge proportions and like I always say humankind has truly educated itself beyond its intelligence!

All that said the SkiFi 3 has the capability to change the SSID, mac address,the channel and to employ a user password. In my case once I did those four things it all worked flawlessly as in smooth as butter!

Prior to that my iPad Air running Skysafari 5 Pro was as laggy to the point of non usable along with intermittent  loss of connection. I only have 4 cell phones in the house and 3 visible networks in my range other than my home network! I can only imagine 50!!!

Once you remove the constant attack of distortion of 600+ devices on a very weak signal I feel your chances are better for smooth operation. I could not even imagine attending a star party with 20 or 30 Celestron WiFi's trying to connect to same SSID, the same mac address, the same channel and no pw protection!

Edited by lastshooter, 04 August 2017 - 08:18 AM.

• Lcm47 likes this

#187 Rac19

Rac19

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 August 2017 - 08:24 AM

Once you remove the constant attack of of distortion on a very weak signal I feel your chances are better for smooth operation. I could not even imagine attending a star party with 20 or 30 Celestron WiFi's trying to connect to same SSID, the same mac address, the same channel and no pw protection!

The chance of an identical MAC address is small enough as to be insignificant. As for the SSID, being "Celestron-xx", the chance is 1 in 256, which probably isn't as unique  as it ideally should be. The newer, stronger Celestron WiFi doesn't seem to have trouble staying connected, it puts out a much stronger signal than the original module.

• Lcm47 likes this

#188 eekeek77

eekeek77

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:59 AM

Once you remove the constant attack of of distortion on a very weak signal I feel your chances are better for smooth operation. I could not even imagine attending a star party with 20 or 30 Celestron WiFi's trying to connect to same SSID, the same mac address, the same channel and no pw protection!

The chance of an identical MAC address is small enough as to be insignificant. As for the SSID, being "Celestron-xx", the chance is 1 in 256, which probably isn't as unique  as it ideally should be. The newer, stronger Celestron WiFi doesn't seem to have trouble staying connected, it puts out a much stronger signal than the original module.

Mr Shooter is mistaken I'm afraid. That's not how it works. They've added the last part of the MAC address to the SSID so they arent all the same and they don't have to be unique anyway. Duplicate SSIDs would be initially confusing/annoying but would'nt break anything. The MAC addresses are unique identifiers. Any well written wifi module will test for quiet channnels when it boots. Different EVOs shouldn't all stick with the same one. The point being, even if the radio signal was lost, it shouldn't do it this often and it should definitely recover better than this does. WiFi networking is much more robust than that.

deriks post suggests a combination of hw and fw problems which couldnt be easily fixed, hence the revised mainboard. Having seen photos of the inside, I'm amazed in works at all. You've got a module with a tiny etched antenna, millimetres from a motor driven metal disk, all wrapped in a heavy metal case.....

• outofsight and parebal0 like this

#189 lastshooter

lastshooter

Vostok 1

Posted 04 August 2017 - 10:00 AM

What is the default mac address and is there an ability to change it? Again it took the all four settings for the device to run smooth. That is recommended in the FAQ for Skyfi3 as well.

Took me 2 minutes and presto was on my way and what you're in it over a year and no way to PW protect to keep the neighbors ten year old to wreak havoc on your telescope. That may not be the case for you but with 200 houses that's more than likely.

Hackers know ever default setting for every router and device made and exploit that every second of the day. It took many years for folks to even set that up on their home networks. 

There are many programs that seek and search unprotected networks. Tons of them used as penetrating programs to test for exploits and thats used by the white hats. Try back|track linux and it will scare the hell out of you. I could take that distro and from the convenience of my car destroy a celestron telescope to the point of no return. I am not even good nor even try as not my cup of tea.

My cell phone communicates with SkyFi3

'hi I see you are available and going list you as an option for my owner until I am told not to"

"wow you are wide open so I will continue to ping you and show your availability"

After setting my parameters it does not even see it and if it is does it will report ;

"wow your pw protected and since my owner has elected for me not to auto connect your history"

Problem is how many peeps with cell phones set them like that? Or any device be it PC or laptop?

So no your statement is so way off base that its not even funny.

Edited by lastshooter, 04 August 2017 - 10:25 AM.

#190 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 04 August 2017 - 10:04 AM

Which reminds me of a comment I meant to make several weeks ago. Once their scope is out of warranty, someone is bound to solder an external antenna to that little circuit trace (or perhaps it can be connected directly to the WiFi module). Obviously this would definitely void the warranty.

Edited by Michael_Swanson, 04 August 2017 - 10:30 AM.

#191 lastshooter

lastshooter

Vostok 1

Posted 04 August 2017 - 10:11 AM

Mr Shooter is mistaken I'm afraid. That's not how it works. They've added the last part of the MAC address to the SSID so they arent all the same and they don't have to be unique anyway. Duplicate SSIDs would be initially confusing/annoying but would'nt break anything. The MAC addresses are unique identifiers. Any well written wifi module will test for quiet channnels when it boots. Different EVOs shouldn't all stick with the same one. The point being, even if the radio signal was lost, it shouldn't do it this often and it should definitely recover better than this does. WiFi networking is much more robust than that.

deriks post suggests a combination of hw and fw problems which couldnt be easily fixed, hence the revised mainboard. Having seen photos of the inside, I'm amazed in works at all. You've got a module with a tiny etched antenna, millimetres from a motor driven metal disk, all wrapped in a heavy metal case.....

ok lets try over 400 devices trying to connect to your POS trinket of a WiFi network?

Ever hear of DoS attack? Basically same principle.

Whatever kid your selves into believing that all of these failures are "fake"

I'll be enjoying looking at the stars.

EDIT:

"Any well written wifi module will test for quiet channnels when it boots."

you made my point for me...

Mr. Shooter rests your honor 

moto from back|tracker linux

"the quieter you are the more you are able to hear"

Edited by lastshooter, 04 August 2017 - 10:21 AM.

#192 Lcm47

Lcm47

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Humble, Tx

Posted 04 August 2017 - 10:20 AM

Well, that just illustrates my point. I get some of those instructions confused unsure.png  Thanks for the clarification. I appreciate that.  yay.gif

So maybe the first thing I should do is the Direct Access with "Access Point"  on the SkyPortal app with my own home network and see if that improves the linkage.

For Direct Connect, you go to the iPad's Settings and connect directly to the scope's WiFi, not your home network. Amongst the available networks you should see "SkyQLink-xx" or preferably "Celestron-xx" (the stronger newer module). If you see more than one Celestron WiFi, the best option is to select the strongest one and confirm that you have control of your scope and not someone else'ssmile.gif . I do wonder whether or not there is another Celestron WiFi nearby.

Access Point mode (via your home network) is not likely to improve the situation if your Celestron WiFi signal is weak. It is also requires more technical knowledge to set up.

Well, that just illustrates my point about me with IT  ohmy.png    I get some of those instructions confused huh.png

Thanks for the clarification. I appreciate that.  ​yay.gif

Elsie

#193 Rac19

Rac19

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 August 2017 - 05:16 PM

Having seen photos of the inside, I'm amazed in works at all. You've got a module with a tiny etched antenna, millimetres from a motor driven metal disk, all wrapped in a heavy metal case.....

Having had the covers off, I agree completely. I think that the external WiFi module works better for two reasons, it is external to the case (though no doubt still influenced by its proximity) and puts out a much stronger signal.

I sometimes see the internal WiFi signal strength varying as the scope rotates (on the Azm axis). Yesterday, with the iPad almost touching the plastic side of the case, I had trouble seeing any signal at all.

By contrast, the signal from the external WiFi module is still reasonably strong through a couple plaster walls (dry walls).

I agree too that the internal WiFi module is the only one of many WiFi devices in my house that is "confused by WiFi clutter". Even if this is a factor, it is only a show stopper for this device.

EDIT: The new AMW006 module supports "diverse antennae". Maybe an external antenna, on top of the fork arm, would be a good thing technically and a good differentiator for the Evolution line🙂.

Edited by Rac19, 04 August 2017 - 05:34 PM.

#194 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 05 August 2017 - 05:57 PM

Three times success is no coincidence!

After 18 months of WiFi misery, I am convinced I know how to fix Evolution  WiFi/SkySafari blues.

1. Insert Nexstar + HC (not StarSense HC).

2. Connect Starsense camera

3. Connect SkyPortal external WiFi accessory. 

This must be the latest AMW006 module.

4. Switch on telescope.

Note that you might need to try different AUX ports for 2. Some Evo's have a  fickle AUX1 or AUX2.

5. Open <settings> in tablet device. You will see 'SkyQLink' and 'Celestron xx'

6. Using Nexstar + HC disable internal WiFi via <menu>< Peripherals>

You will see 'SkyQLink' vanish as an option in the tablet.

You cannot do this with the Starsense HC.

7. Connect tablet to 'Celestron xx'. My version is 'Celestron 1e'.

8. Open SkySafari (I use SkySafari Plus)

9. Ensure set to Celestron WiFi and 'align with Starsense'. 

If you can't see the latter, try another AUX port.

10. Use 'Connect and Align' (not connect then align).

11. Once aligned, calibrate if necessary etc. Add alignment points etc.

I have now enjoyed three sessions of perfect WiFi control, each lasting 90 minutes to 180 minutes with zero disconnects. I previously could not stay connected for more than ten minutes. Celestron should be offering owners of all early SkyQLink Evolution's a free SkyPortal accessory. 

Edited by Noah4x4, 05 August 2017 - 05:59 PM.

#195 Rac19

Rac19

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 August 2017 - 10:30 PM

Three times success is no coincidence!

After 18 months of WiFi misery, I am convinced I know how to fix Evolution  WiFi/SkySafari blues.

1. Insert Nexstar + HC (not StarSense HC).

2. Connect Starsense camera

3. Connect SkyPortal external WiFi accessory. 

This must be the latest AMW006 module.

4. Switch on telescope.

Note that you might need to try different AUX ports for 2. Some Evo's have a  fickle AUX1 or AUX2.

5. Open <settings> in tablet device. You will see 'SkyQLink' and 'Celestron xx'

6. Using Nexstar + HC disable internal WiFi via <menu>< Peripherals>

You will see 'SkyQLink' vanish as an option in the tablet.

You cannot do this with the Starsense HC.

7. Connect tablet to 'Celestron xx'. My version is 'Celestron 1e'.

8. Open SkySafari (I use SkySafari Plus)

9. Ensure set to Celestron WiFi and 'align with Starsense'. 

If you can't see the latter, try another AUX port.

10. Use 'Connect and Align' (not connect then align).

11. Once aligned, calibrate if necessary etc. Add alignment points etc.

I have now enjoyed three sessions of perfect WiFi control, each lasting 90 minutes to 180 minutes with zero disconnects. I previously could not stay connected for more than ten minutes. Celestron should be offering owners of all early SkyQLink Evolution's a free SkyPortal accessory. 

At the moment the best configuration for for me seems to be SkyPortal WiFi in Aux 2 (it will only fit in Aux 1 or Aux 2), NexStar+ HC in Aux 3 and StarSense camera in Aux 4. If I connect the StarSense camera into Aux 1 (closer to the SkyPortal WiFi module) it doesn't work.

I wonder if one issue with the StarSense camera, is that it doesn't work if connected to an Aux port adjacent to the SkyPortal WiFi module. Then again maybe there is no particular logic as to which combination of Aux port connections work.

Edited by Rac19, 05 August 2017 - 10:31 PM.

#196 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 06 August 2017 - 01:41 AM

RAC19, I have Starsense camera in AUX1. Then a Celestron cable splitter in AUX2 into which I insert Nexstar HC cable and SkyPortal WiFi accessory which hence dangles below the mount.

This just struck me. This means the now dangling external WiFi accessory is at an optimum distance away from the mount and other circuitry like internal pcb, Starsense camera etc. It's probably irrelevant, but some theories suggest being outside the mount improves the new chip performance. Might being the length of the splitter cable further away boost this benefit? It is working brilliantly for me, I even absently minded walkef indoors past three brick walls carrying my Samsung Galaxy tablet with no loss of connection!

#197 Rac19

Rac19

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 06 August 2017 - 06:36 AM

RAC19, I have Starsense camera in AUX1. Then a Celestron cable splitter in AUX2 into which I insert Nexstar HC cable and SkyPortal WiFi accessory which hence dangles below the mount.

This just struck me. This means the now dangling external WiFi accessory is at an optimum distance away from the mount and other circuitry like internal pcb, Starsense camera etc. It's probably irrelevant, but some theories suggest being outside the mount improves the new chip performance. Might being the length of the splitter cable further away boost this benefit? It is working brilliantly for me, I even absently minded walkef indoors past three brick walls carrying my Samsung Galaxy tablet with no loss of connection!

I have been thinking of moving the SkyPortal WiFi module physically away from other electronics with an extension cable. I might try it soon,

I have just had a session tonight using SkySafari and the SkyPortal WiFi module. I actually lost the connection a few times, including a dreaded "WiFi connection established but...", Each time I reconnected without loss of alignment. Annoying but bearable.

I have seen, once again tonight, that the iPad (or Android) screen buttons are pretty useless for fine adjustments. I had lots of sluggish responses and mini slew run-away incidents. As D J Trump would say "Bad!!!". The HC is the only way to go.

• NMBob likes this

#198 Rac19

Rac19

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 09 August 2017 - 02:51 AM

I have been thinking of moving the SkyPortal WiFi module physically away from other electronics with an extension cable. I might try it soon,

I made up an "extension lead" for the WiFi module today and it seems that it makes no difference. StarSense worked in Aux 3 but not in Aux 1. Until I started using the SkyPortal WiFi module, I always had the StarSense camera plugged into Aux 1.

So I think that this means that the mere proximity of  a WiFi transmitter to the port that the StarSense camera is plugged into is not the issue. There still remains the possibility of "crosstalk" between the WiFi module and he StanSense camera being a problem when they are plugged into adjacent ports. Then again, there may be a completely unrelated cause.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics