•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

PHD2 or other autoguiding under Linux?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• topic starter

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:50 AM

Is anyone out there successfully using PHD2 or other autoguiding software under Linux?  If so, with what device drivers?

I understand there is a Linux build of PHD2, but it's experimental.

#2 poobie

poobie

Messenger

• -----

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:56 AM

I've successfully used it with a ZWO ASI178MC-C, using the ZWO driver built in to PHD.  Haven't tried the INDI driver.  The ZWO driver worked fine, though.

#3 lambermo

lambermo

Apollo

• -----

Posted 18 May 2017 - 03:10 PM

Works great for me.  But I'm biased as I ported the SX-AO drivers (native and INDI) and the SX camera driver (I use a Lodestar) to Linux ;-)

-- Hans

#4 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• topic starter

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:56 PM

At least initially, I'll be using a DMK camera.  This is not mission-critical, but I do want to see how well I can do.

#5 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• topic starter

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:58 PM

I've installed the Linux build of PHD2.  It seems to have arrived without its zipped help file.  (Separate package?)  I have also installed indi-full but am mystified as to how to use it.  Can anyone clue me in?

FOLLOW-UP:  From INDI's web site I've learned that I'm supposed to start 2 processes (and leave them running) with the commands

indiserver indi_celestron_gps

indiserver indi_v4l2_ccd

and then start phd2.  It then thinks it can connect to my ImagingSource DMK camera but can't actually get an image (16-second timeout).  I have not checked whether it connects to my CGEM mount.

oaCapture does see and use that camera as a V4L2 camera.

I'm probably going to get a ZWO ASI camera very soon, so that is not mission-critical, but I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong, if anything.

Edited by MCovington, 18 May 2017 - 10:30 PM.

#6 Oleg Astro

Oleg Astro

Astronomy Linux

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:17 AM

MCovington,

you can use the INDI starter: A simple program to run a INDI server.

Description

Indistarter is a user interface to run a INDI server.
You can configure different profile for your astronomical equipment.
The INDI server can be launched locally or remotely on another computer. In this last case a ssh tunnel is established to allow local client connection.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.jpeg

#7 PatrickC

PatrickC

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:30 AM

Michael,

You must start all your indi drivers in the same command:

indiserver indi_celestron_gps indi_v4l2_ccd

If you not use Kstar you can also use my indistarter as indicated by Oleg.

Phd2 on Linux work fine with the DMK, I use it every clear night for more than one year with my DMK21.

Because of a bug in the install process the translations and help files are currently missing from the Phd2 Linux  package. I will update the package very soon to fix that.

Patrick

#8 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• topic starter

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:52 PM

Michael,

You must start all your indi drivers in the same command:

indiserver indi_celestron_gps indi_v4l2_ccd

If you not use Kstar you can also use my indistarter as indicated by Oleg.

Phd2 on Linux work fine with the DMK, I use it every clear night for more than one year with my DMK21.

Because of a bug in the install process the translations and help files are currently missing from the Phd2 Linux  package. I will update the package very soon to fix that.

Patrick

Merci beaucoup!  Cela l'explique -- j'ai fait commencer INDI la deuxieme fois avec Celestron et sans V4L2, n'est-ce pas?

Merci autre fois,

Michael

(Cloudy Nights doesn't have a rule requiring us to post in English, does it? :)  )

Edited by MCovington, 19 May 2017 - 01:55 PM.

#9 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• topic starter

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:08 PM

Close, but not there yet.  indistarter is a great help.  Now INDI sees the camera (and reads out its image size correctly) and PHD2 thinks it has connected to it, but after 16 seconds reports that it has not been able to get an image.

So close and yet so far...

oaCapture does see that camera through V4L2 (without using INDI) and acquires images from it.

For INDI, I selected "DMK camera" and found that INDI uses V4L2 for it, as I expected. Technically the camera I am actually testing with is a DFK -- I have a matched pair of cameras, one with Bayer matrix and one without.  The DMK is mounted on the guidescope at the moment, not so handy to test with indoors.

Edited by MCovington, 19 May 2017 - 10:35 PM.

#10 PatrickC

PatrickC

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 21 May 2017 - 08:53 AM

There is a few point to check why phd2 do not receive the image.

First in phd2 when you select the "DMK camera", the next row is only for dual chip camera (like ST-7). For your camera you must select "Primary", or "Main imager" in previous version of phd2.

Then connect the camera and open a Indi client window, using phd2 "Camera setting" button, or indistarter "INDI client" button.

Open the "DMK camera" tab.

In Option tab check that Upload is set to Client, and "Rapid guide" is Disabled.

In "Image settings" tab check that Image is set to Raw, "Frame type" to Light.

Also for the color camera,  "Image type" must be Gray and in "Capture Options", "Capture Format" must be "8-bit Greyscale".

#11 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• topic starter

Posted 21 May 2017 - 09:24 AM

I'll check those things.  Thanks!

#12 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• topic starter

Posted 16 March 2018 - 02:45 PM

For anyone who comes back to this thread, the latest PHD2 fixes it.  You have to tell it the camera does not support long exposures (with its current INDI driver).

Screenshot at 2018-03-15 22-38-44.png

180315-PHD2-running-under-Linux.png

Edited by MCovington, 16 March 2018 - 02:49 PM.

#13 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• topic starter

Posted 12 April 2018 - 09:45 PM

OK, tonight I tried it again, and this time my camera was at first not recognized, and then went in as /dev/video2.  /dev/video0 is the internal camera.  I got it working...

Is there an easy way for me to disable the internal camera (which is never used)?

#14 Patrick Chevalley

Patrick Chevalley

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 13 April 2018 - 11:48 AM

Michael,

You can probably disable the internal camera from the laptop bios setup.

But a better solution is to tell udev to make a symlink whenever the camera is connected.

For that you can add a file to /etc/udev/rules.d/ , I have one named 99-video-link.rules with the following content:

KERNEL=="video[0-9]*", ATTR{name}=="DMK 21AU618.AS", SYMLINK+="dmk21"

And now when I connect my dmk-21 it create a link /dev/dmk21 and in PHD2 I set the device to /dev/dmk21 instead of /dev/video0, this way I am sure this is always the right camera.

If your camera is not a DMK 21AU618.AS you must replace this string in the file by the value you find in the syslog when you connect the camera to the usb.

Type the command : dmseg

in the result you see something like:

usb 1-3: Product: DMK 21AU618.AS

This is the value to use.

#15 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• topic starter

Posted 13 April 2018 - 12:32 PM

Excellent, thanks!

#16 knro

knro

StellarMate

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 18 April 2018 - 12:53 PM

Ok you might be over-complicating it grin.gif

First of all, if you want to test guiding, try Ekos internal guider. So just Launch KStars, click on Ekos icon (dome-shape icon) and select your devices, and start it and you have auto-guiding. That's it.

Now if you want to use PHD2, edit your Ekos profile to use PHD2 as the guider. Then launch the profile, and then go to PHD2, and select the camera as "INDI Camera". If both PHD2+KStars all in the same machine, then leave all settings as is and connect to INDI. If you go back to KStars, you'll see you can control PHD2 from the "Guide" tab. You can also control it from PHD2 directly of course, but it's convenient to do the guiding plus everything else from one place.

Good luck!

P.S. To make the driver select another camera, just to go Connections tab of your DMK driver and set port to /dev/video1, and then disconnect/reconnect, see if it picks up the correct camera!

#17 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• topic starter

Posted 18 April 2018 - 01:44 PM

The problem was getting INDI to find the camera, not getting the other software to find INDI.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics