•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Poll: What's your preferred method to focus?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Wexford, Ireland

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:14 PM

For AP, is it

A) Bahtinov Mask
B) Visual

If A, are you viewing the cross-lines in capture software?
If B, manual or motor-focus?

#2 George Bailey

George Bailey

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Iowa

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:26 PM

Visual using JMI motofocus.

I use the moons of Jupiter or Saturn to focus on.

• kevinbreen likes this

#3 xiando

xiando

Aurora

• Loc: Cloudy NEOhio

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:53 PM

B. But that's mainly because it's simpler than fumbling around in the dark with my mask

In the end though, unless one is using a program to interpret the bahtinov image and tell them they've achieved focus, we're all using B. I just do it without adding a mask.

• kevinbreen likes this

#4 Sunspot

Sunspot

Cosmos

• Loc: Surprise, AZ

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:42 PM

I focus on the planet, set the Gamma to 1 to increase contrast and go for it. But my confession, after 14 years of doing it it gets pretty much second nature. Definitely use electric focusing however.

• kevinbreen likes this

#5 Jeff B1

Jeff B1

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: South Central Florida

Posted 20 May 2017 - 08:23 AM

Before cataract surgery and new corrective lenses I didn't.:)

• kevinbreen likes this

#6 kbev

kbev

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Far, far east Mesa

Posted 20 May 2017 - 08:30 AM

My method is somewhat similar to Paul's - I bump the exposure so the brighter areas are a bit overexposed but the darker areas are still visible then adjust the focus to get the sharpest edge along the interface between the two.  I just have to remember to drop the exposure back down before I start my captures.  And if there is a moon near the limb of the planet it can be a good focus aide.

• Sunspot and kevinbreen like this

#7 djhanson

djhanson

Viking 1

• Loc: Chandler, AZ

Posted 20 May 2017 - 10:08 AM

I use a Moonlite DRO (digital readout).  Initially, I adjust focus manually by adjusting my secondary mirror (rough focusing).  Next, with the Moonlite I rack in and out (until just out of focus), note both readings, and take the half-way point for starting imaging (math in my head or via calculator).  This range is generally 700-800 steps (half way is about optimal focus).

Lastly, with my CFF350 the CFZ is larger than my previous C14HD and I do find achieving good focus easier and more fore-giving now (i.e. f/17 vs f/11).  DJ

Edited by djhanson, 20 May 2017 - 10:09 AM.

• Sunspot and kevinbreen like this

#8 Rapier

Rapier

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Land of the roaches, mosquitoes and humidity

Posted 20 May 2017 - 11:22 AM

I use a hand made Bhatinov mask and manual focus. But, my scopes are small and my meager AP utilizes a Phillips SPC900 so this is sufficient.

• kevinbreen likes this

#9 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Wexford, Ireland

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:20 PM

Thanks for all the responses, folks. Interesting that a lot of you are using a visual on the object over using a Bahtinov mask.
I've a 8SE and the mount that came with it. The mount is fine for tracking but wobbly as hell. I tried out the cable tie method the other night, which was an improvement over my fingers on the focusser, but I have my sights on a motorised focusser now.

#10 Sunspot

Sunspot

Cosmos

• Loc: Surprise, AZ

Posted 20 May 2017 - 01:50 PM

Thanks for all the responses, folks. Interesting that a lot of you are using a visual on the object over using a Bahtinov mask.
I've a 8SE and the mount that came with it. The mount is fine for tracking but wobbly as hell. I tried out the cable tie method the other night, which was an improvement over my fingers on the focusser, but I have my sights on a motorised focusser now.

Back in the "good old days" before motorized focusers, we would clip a clothes pin on the focusing knob and use that for fine focus. (Anyone else remember doing that?)

#11 Rapier

Rapier

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Land of the roaches, mosquitoes and humidity

Posted 20 May 2017 - 04:08 PM

Back in the "good old days" before motorized focusers, we would clip a clothes pin on the focusing knob and use that for fine focus. (Anyone else remember doing that?)

I've fashioned a double sized knob from 1/2" plywood, twice the diameter of the original. It's 2:1, not 10:1 but it was free.

• kevinbreen likes this

#12 jgraham

jgraham

Hubble

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 20 May 2017 - 04:19 PM

I use a Bahtinov mask and set my focus on a nearby star. I use my guide scope as a sort of remote finder to make it easy to slew between the reference star and planet.

• kevinbreen likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics