•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NGC 6229 – Globular Cluster in Hercules

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jgraham

jgraham

Hubble

• topic starter
  • Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:19 PM

Telescope: Meade 10” LX200 SCT (Wide Field) @ f/6.3, Orion Atlas EQ-G
Camera: ZWO ASI071MC, Orion Imaging Skyglow Filter
Sensor Temperature: -10C, Gain: 300, Offset: 50
Guide scope: Astro-Tech 60mm, Meade DSI Pro II, PHD
Exposure: 41x120sec saved as FITS, dithered every frame, R.A. only
Darks: 32x120sec saved as FITS
Flats: 32x10sec, LED tracing tablet
Average Light Pollution: Red zone, fair transparency, waning gibbous moon
Lensed Sky Quality Meter: 18.4 mag/arc-sec^2
Stacking: Mean with a 2-sigma clip.
White Balance: Nebulosity Automatic
Software: Nebulosity, Deep Sky Stacker, Photoshop

NGC6229 is the 3rd globular cluster in Hercules along with the much larger and brighter M13 and M92. I found this little gem while star-hopping around Hercules northward towards Draco. Small and faint, NGC6229 is easy to locate once you’ve spotted the two 8th magnitude stars just to the right of the cluster.

NGC 6229 (5-12-2017)-2j.jpg

The late spring and early summer sky hosts several beautiful globular clusters in a broad swath from Hercules in the north to Scorpio and Sagittarius in the south. It is neat to hop from one to another to appreciate how different they can be from one another.

• mikefulb and DivisionByZero like this

#2 taxibill

taxibill

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Aurora, Colorado

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:49 PM

Very nice image.  I'm strictly observational, but I love globs and somehow this one has escaped my attention.  I'll be sure to track it down the next time I'm out.  I also like that you included the SQM reading.  I just acquired a Unihedron lensed SQM, and I'm looking forward to getting some objective readings at my favorite dark sky sites.

#3 jgraham

jgraham

Hubble

• topic starter
  • Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:14 PM

Thanks! Heh, heh, I'm primarily observational as well and I use imaging as an observing tool. It has been a huge help taking my own source images so that I can see what objects look like before they are processed and it has completely eliminated the frustration of not being able to see objects as well as I thought that I should. With my own, unprocessed source images I know exactly what I am looking for and where to look. It has made my visual observing soooo much more enjoyable. Ugh. My backyard is so light polluted it is often difficult to tell just how clear it is. The lensed sky quality meter has been a useful tool to record how dark my sky really is.

Neat stuff.

• paulymo likes this

#4 42 degrees north

42 degrees north

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Iowa

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:31 PM

This is definitely one of my favorite objects and one of the most distant residents of the Milky Way visible!

Thanks for posting.

Matt

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics