•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Saturn - May 15, 2017

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 yock1960

yock1960

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: (Mostly Cloudy) Ohio, USA

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:51 PM

Reasonable seeing, so I get 2 images out of 5 straight opportunities this past week. April seems to be a better month, for Saturn at least. Only seven more years until Saturn climbs back up to the height that it was when I started imaging it and just 14 years until it climbs to ~72 degrees elevation in these parts! How many camera generations is that going to be? Assuming of course, that I'm still around to see either....fingerscrossed.gif

18 minutes in WinJupos, C9.25 @ f/16, ASI224MC, ASH ADC, 0626UT, 150% re-sample.

Steve

Attached Thumbnails

• 2017-05-15-0626_5-L.jpg

• Sunspot, jim kuhns, George Bailey and 10 others like this

#2 NiteGuy

NiteGuy

Viking 1

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:29 PM

Is that the same ringed planet from the same solar system as last time?

Nice work, great shot!

#3 Timothy S

Timothy S

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bakersfield, CA

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:08 PM

Steve:  That is a really nice image and you can clearly see the hexagon.  I've been thinking about a C9.25 to complement my 4" APO which is just too small for the planets.  Are you using the factory visual back / focus system or is an aftermarket system needed to hold the camera plus ADC ?

#4 yock1960

yock1960

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:24 PM

Steve:  That is a really nice image and you can clearly see the hexagon.  I've been thinking about a C9.25 to complement my 4" APO which is just too small for the planets.  Are you using the factory visual back / focus system or is an aftermarket system needed to hold the camera plus ADC ?

Thanks Tim! I use a Rigel Systems DC focus motor with their nFocus controller on the factory visual back. I don't find focus shift to be a big problem, so a Crayford just adds back focus. If the seeing is good, then, is the extra precision of a stepper motor needed? Eventually, when I run out of other things 'astro' to buy, I may look to upgrade to something from Moonlite and go stepper.

The C9.25 is like a souped up C8, no different in use as far as I'm concerned. I'm finding moving up to a C11 tougher with the low planets though.

Steve

#5 yock1960

yock1960

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:28 PM

Is that the same ringed planet from the same solar system as last time?

Nice work, great shot!

Thanks! Yeah, that's the thing with Saturn at low elevation. One decent image looks about the same as another.....unless the seeing is above average, or very good in any case.

Steve

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics