•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASI120MM Hanging - VERY strange

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jtrezzo

jtrezzo

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: St. Petersburg, FL

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:37 PM

So I just got a ZWO ASI120MM to use for guiding, and have a VERY strange problem. Hoping at least one other has run into this, or maybe some techie type can help. The camera works, but ONLY if I continue to move the mouse around. Otherwise, it hangs, until I move the mouse again. This was tested in PHD2 and SharpCap. It goes from 15fps in Sharpcap down to 0.3 or 0 fps when I stop moving the mouse. I tested out my QHY-5-II-M also, it does not have this problem. So it is something with the ZWO and perhaps some setting on Windows. I am using Windows 10 on a Surface Pro 4. Has anyone heard of or run into such a strange thing? Looking like I will be selling this camera right back to get a better quality QHY....

Edited by jtrezzo, 19 May 2017 - 08:44 PM.

#2 baron555

baron555

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Lockport, IL

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:46 PM

Is it an older 2.0 USB version?  If so, then check out the ZWO forums; they had issues with those early models.

#3 james7ca

james7ca

Aurora

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:53 PM

I have never heard of such a problem with either of the ASI120MMs. I had continuous problems with split frames on the USB2 versions of that camera, but the USB3 version seems pretty stable.

Are you perhaps using a hub with the camera and mouse? Frankly, this sounds more like a problem with the host -- the Surface Pro and/or the configuration of Windows.

#4 dkeller_nc

dkeller_nc

Viking 1

• Loc: Central NC

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:12 PM

As implied above, if you purchased the ASI120MM, return it.  The ASI120MM-S is a great camera, the ASI120MM is not.  There's quite a number of threads on CN detailing issues with the USB 2.0 version.

#5 jtrezzo

jtrezzo

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:28 PM

Okay, after a couple hours of messing with it, I finally figured it out. It was something to do with the Surface. I went into Device Manager and unchecked the "Allow computer to turn off this device to save power" for every USB and Bluetooth hub. It ended up being a Bluetooth one - it seems to be working fine now - framerate is constant. Very strange that it would have that effect from Bluetooth.

I bought it secondhand so can't really return it, but I'll give it a shot when it clears and see how it performs guiding.

#6 DivisionByZero

DivisionByZero

Viking 1

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:37 PM

If you dig into the internet enough on the ASI120MM, you'll find lots and lots of threads with people having some issues.  I had some myself.  Some are related to computer USB settings related to power management.  Others are in the camera.  For instance, I had to perform a firmware update to get my camera to play nice.  The official website has all the tools you need to check the firmware, so it's relatively painless.

I recommend you test all the equipment together as much as possible on some cloudy night or indoors during the day.  I did this quite a bit and still had surprises in the field.  Every little bit helps, though.

#7 jtrezzo

jtrezzo

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 May 2017 - 01:32 AM

If you dig into the internet enough on the ASI120MM, you'll find lots and lots of threads with people having some issues.  I had some myself.  Some are related to computer USB settings related to power management.  Others are in the camera.  For instance, I had to perform a firmware update to get my camera to play nice.  The official website has all the tools you need to check the firmware, so it's relatively painless.

I recommend you test all the equipment together as much as possible on some cloudy night or indoors during the day.  I did this quite a bit and still had surprises in the field.  Every little bit helps, though.

Where is firmware update on ZWO site? I couldn't find that, just drivers. I hope to test tomorrow, so really hoping for no issues. I still have my QHY-5-II-M if something goes horribly wrong.

#8 DivisionByZero

DivisionByZero

Viking 1

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 20 May 2017 - 07:07 AM

Go to the software page: https://astronomy-im...a.com/software/

Then, there are tabs for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android and SDK&Upgrade tool

The last tab is where it's at: SDK&UPgrade tool.

Go there.  Scroll down past all the SDK stuff and then there's "ASI Cameras Firmware Upgrade Tool (USB2.0 only).

install that and run it with the camera and see if you can change the firmware.  This solved my problems with the camera as it was taking images on its own, but refusing to take images while everything else was working.

#9 jtrezzo

jtrezzo

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 May 2017 - 01:39 PM

Go to the software page: https://astronomy-im...a.com/software/

Then, there are tabs for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android and SDK&Upgrade tool

The last tab is where it's at: SDK&UPgrade tool.

Go there.  Scroll down past all the SDK stuff and then there's "ASI Cameras Firmware Upgrade Tool (USB2.0 only).

install that and run it with the camera and see if you can change the firmware.  This solved my problems with the camera as it was taking images on its own, but refusing to take images while everything else was working.

Thanks, I somehow missed those tabs before.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics