•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

It was too hazy out anyway...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DivisionByZero

DivisionByZero

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: New Jersey

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:43 PM

I have a story that is probably familiar to everyone.

I was eager to get out and get my RGB data on M3 and I knew I had a limited window since the forecast was for clouds to roll in later tonight.  In general, it was forecast to have high altitude clouds/mediocre transparency, but I figured I'd give it a shot.  If nothing else, I could work on my guider trouble-shooting.  So, I went out, got everything set up and opened up the laptop - BUT FORGOT IT WAS DELICATE.  Long ago, the left hinge had gone funny in my laptop which resulted in me treating it gently during opening so as not to dislodge the little bits inside.  Well, I pulled it up and then quickly got my technique back but I guess the damage was done.  I go to power on the laptop and.... no screen.  ARGH!

I pulled up the speaker plate (it's a dv6000 HP pavilion) and looked at the little screen wire.  One of the wires looked frayed!  doh!  So I brought the laptop inside thinking... ok, let's see if I can just move things a little bit.  I get the screen back inside and I think I'm in the clear.  I get it back outside, plugged in and.... blank screen again!

By this time, the clouds were increasing in thickness so I just decided to pack it up.  So, now I've spent the last hour disassembling and reassembling the laptop.  I put some electrical tape over the frayed wire which, I'm sure, had gotten snagged under the (mobile) hinge assembly.  I then tapped a new thread into the hinge base (the old one had been threaded, that's why it was busted) and then inserted a new 4-40 screw.  Reconnect it all and... I'm typing on it now.  The screen is more secure as well, so it should be more robust of a solution in general.

I know it was hazy out anyway and maybe I wouldn't have gotten much useful time.  Even so, it was a frustrating result for the evening!  Forecast for next clear night?  Next weekend.  :(

I bet other people can beat that story, though...

• dan_hm, ram812 and jeremiah2229 like this

#2 jhayes_tucson

jhayes_tucson

Aurora

• Loc: Bend, OR

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:54 PM

Uh...I don't know what that's like.  It's never happened to me...   lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

John

• DivisionByZero likes this

#3 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Colchester, VT

Posted 20 May 2017 - 06:24 AM

Man this weather is KILLING me.  Equipment frustrations aside, you cant do jack when mother nature does not cooperate.  Last night was actually forecast to be clear.  Clear to weather.com and clear to an astronomer are two very different things.  Oh well....  Vermont is a pretty nice place to live, as long as you don't like imaging the sky. 

• ram812 likes this

#4 entilza

entilza

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Oakville, ON, Canada

Posted 20 May 2017 - 06:41 AM

The weakest link in astro photography will always reveal itself :) Good you fixed it. Just hopefully its not just a band aid that can happen again.

#5 shawnhar

shawnhar

Cosmos

• Loc: Knoxville, TN

Posted 20 May 2017 - 07:00 AM

I used to have a camera adapter with a short that was like that, if it wasn't juuuuust so... 

I was telling my observatory partner the other day I have come to the conclusion that astrophotography is really just learning to live with failure.

Those nights are rough though, when things were working but you spend the night trying to get them to work again

Glad you did get it working

#6 DivisionByZero

DivisionByZero

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 20 May 2017 - 07:18 AM

The weakest link in astro photography will always reveal itself smile.gif Good you fixed it. Just hopefully its not just a band aid that can happen again.

Amen, Brother!

#7 dan_hm

dan_hm

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 20 May 2017 - 08:13 AM

Where are you in Jersey?  My forecast is reading clear for tonight with low wind and I couldn't be more stoked.  Let's just hope it isn't a false flag.

RSchmmrObNjcsk.gif?c=1720800

#8 DivisionByZero

DivisionByZero

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 20 May 2017 - 08:18 AM

Where are you in Jersey?  My forecast is reading clear for tonight with low wind and I couldn't be more stoked.  Let's just hope it isn't a false flag.

I'm between Trenton and Princeton so I use the Princeton club's clear-dark sky chart.  It's also predicting clear but I'm not holding my breath.  Clear outside is predicting clouds:  http://clearoutside....st/40.29/-74.72 at high altitude.

The interpretation between the two tools, though, is not clear to me.  It strikes me that the high-altitude business is most like transparency in the ClearDarkSky tool.  I"m not sure, though.

#9 dan_hm

dan_hm

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 20 May 2017 - 08:42 AM

I'm between Trenton and Princeton so I use the Princeton club's clear-dark sky chart.  It's also predicting clear but I'm not holding my breath.  Clear outside is predicting clouds:  http://clearoutside....st/40.29/-74.72 at high altitude.

The interpretation between the two tools, though, is not clear to me.  It strikes me that the high-altitude business is most like transparency in the ClearDarkSky tool.  I"m not sure, though.

Interesting site - I haven't used that one before.  The one for my area is a little more optimistic - though still above 50% high clouds for most of the night.  Meteoblue is usually what I crossreference the Clear Sky Chart with: https://www.meteoblu...america_5104755.  This chart was completely off last night though.  I could see Jupiter, the Big Dipper, and maybe 5 other stars, but no imaging was going to happen.  

I guess Jerry Lodriguss is right when he says the ultimate way to predict if it's going to be clear or not is to close your eyes, flip a coin, then look up at the sky.

#10 DivisionByZero

DivisionByZero

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 20 May 2017 - 10:29 PM

Well, it's actually a beautiful night!  I won't say anything more lest I jinx it.

• dan_hm likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics