•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron AVX Rebuild

astrophotography Celestron mount DIY equipment eyepieces
  • Please log in to reply
203 replies to this topic

#51 Lite2

Lite2

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: USA, Indiana

Posted 05 November 2017 - 12:07 AM

Ok, done this today.
Wiping off the factory grease and re greasing with "super Lube" on all surfaces and tweaking the gear mesh which seemed to take longer than the rest, and replacing the RA bearing with this:
https://www.amazon.c...1?ie=UTF8&psc=1

AVX apart
AVX back together
AVX Gap

MUCH smoother to balance now. Not the best , but better.

Now for the clouds to go away

• mwayne, gfstallin, astrogeek64 and 1 other like this

#52 astrogeek64

astrogeek64

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia

Posted 05 November 2017 - 09:57 AM

I need to get off my butt and do this.

• Lee L likes this

#53 astrogeek64

astrogeek64

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 05 November 2017 - 09:58 AM

Ok, done this today.
Wiping off the factory grease and re greasing with "super Lube" on all surfaces and tweaking the gear mesh which seemed to take longer than the rest, and replacing the RA bearing with this:

What is this "superlube" you speak of and how well did that bearing fit?

Edited by astrogeek64, 05 November 2017 - 10:00 AM.

#54 Lite2

Lite2

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 November 2017 - 10:18 AM

SuperLube is the brand name, they make several kinds. I got the synthetic multi purpose at Harbor Freight.

The bearing fits perfectly but was quite tight on the ID, not sure if I could get it back off if I wanted to. Probably should have done a bit of sanding before placing bearing.

• astrogeek64 likes this

#55 astrogeek64

astrogeek64

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 05 November 2017 - 12:15 PM

SuperLube is the brand name, they make several kinds. I got the synthetic multi purpose at Harbor Freight.

The bearing fits perfectly but was quite tight on the ID, not sure if I could get it back off if I wanted to. Probably should have done a bit of sanding before placing bearing.

Great! The tightness is alright so long as you didn't beat it on or anything radical like that. If you got it on by hand or some light tapping, it's good. I'd be more worried about it being too loose. Okay, I'm ordering that bearing. Thanks!

#56 Lite2

Lite2

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 November 2017 - 10:35 PM

Great! The tightness is alright so long as you didn't beat it on or anything radical like that. If you got it on by hand or some light tapping, it's good. I'd be more worried about it being too loose. Okay, I'm ordering that bearing. Thanks!

You're welcome.

I'd rather have it tight than loose for sure. I'm always nervous with bearing fits, too tight vs slop.

#57 Waldemar

Waldemar

Viking 1

• Loc: Netherlands

Posted 06 November 2017 - 03:40 AM

SuperLube is a PTFE (teflon) based lubricant, which has outstanding lubricating properties.

More PTFE based lubricants are on the market, but SuperLube is one of the best I tried.

There is an oil and a grease version. I use both.

I found it is far better then white lithium grease, which separates over time and leaves a chalky residu.
It does nor run, not even under extreme temperatures and has a wide temperature range.

machined metal parts are always rough under a microscope, no matter how well they are machined.

PTFE consist of microscopic balls in different sizes, that fill up the 'rough' metal surface and stay there, which results in a really smooth movement. To me PTFE is the way to go.

Edited by Waldemar, 06 November 2017 - 03:43 AM.

• kevint1 and astrogeek64 like this

#58 mwayne

mwayne

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 06 November 2017 - 04:17 PM

Ok, done this today.

Good work! Did you have the same spacing issue Gambera mentioned in the earlier post?

#59 Lite2

Lite2

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:49 PM

Ok, done this today.

Good work! Did you have the same spacing issue Gambera mentioned in the earlier post?

Nope, not sure how we came up with a different gap but my 3rd pic is AFTER the new bearing in place. I did remove the white nylon bushing from under the bearing but it wasn't that thick.

#60 bmurphy495

bmurphy495

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Maine

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:32 PM

I'm a little confused.  For the RA I should get a replacement Tapered Roller bearing 32007XQ?

What bearing for the DEC?

B

#61 Lite2

Lite2

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:51 PM

I'm a little confused.  For the RA I should get a replacement Tapered Roller bearing 32007XQ?

B

Unfortunately there is no bearing to replace for the Decfrown.gif

Edited by Lite2, 07 November 2017 - 08:58 PM.

#62 mwayne

mwayne

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:52 PM

[quote name="bmurphy495" post="8202381" timestamp="1510101149"]
I'm a little confused. For the RA I should get a replacement Tapered Roller bearing 32007XQ?

What bearing for the DEC?[quote]

My understanding is the DEC shaft doesn't have bearings, which is a common complaint against the AVX mount.

Edited by mwayne, 07 November 2017 - 08:55 PM.

#63 bmurphy495

bmurphy495

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Maine

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:19 PM

crazyeyes.gifcrazyeyes.gifcrazyeyes.gifcrazyeyes.gifcrazyeyes.gifcrazyeyes.gifcrazyeyes.gifcrazyeyes.gif OMG.....I've been to one world's fair a picnic and a rodeo and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones! The team of engineers MBAs that came up with that idea is an affront to natural selection.

No wonder I kept scratching my head!

#64 Lite2

Lite2

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:28 PM

crazyeyes.gifcrazyeyes.gifcrazyeyes.gifcrazyeyes.gifcrazyeyes.gifcrazyeyes.gifcrazyeyes.gifcrazyeyes.gif OMG.....I've been to one world's fair a picnic and a rodeo and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones! The team of engineers MBAs that came up with that idea is an affront to natural selection.

No wonder I kept scratching my head!

lol.gif Well Said!!

Too funny!

• bmurphy495 likes this

#65 gambera

gambera

Sputnik

Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:09 PM

I should've posted this back in July. Despite the gap the mount has now, the worm is centered in the middle of the mesh gear, see picture.
I tested it not long ago with my 22lb imaging gear and it was tracking really good, guided of course,I have to look for the PHD guide logs.

26479989469_5b6f072f63_z.jpg

24385221598_5a8470bd86_z.jpg

Edited by gambera, 07 November 2017 - 11:13 PM.

• mwayne likes this

#66 Waldemar

Waldemar

Viking 1

Posted 10 November 2017 - 01:23 AM

B

Unfortunately there is no bearing to replace for the Decfrown.gif

A PTFE bushing or DU bushing could be used if the problem is really bad, Machining by a machining shop on a lathe will be necessary though to make enough room for the bushing. Which side, outer or inner is depending on the size of the bushing, but it is doable.

Edited by Waldemar, 10 November 2017 - 01:23 AM.

• bmurphy495 likes this

#67 astrogeek64

astrogeek64

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 10 November 2017 - 12:21 PM

I'm a little confused. For the RA I should get a replacement Tapered Roller bearing 32007XQ?

My understanding is the DEC shaft doesn't have bearings, which is a common complaint against the AVX mount.

The DEC shaft is a plain surface bearing? Is it at least bushed? Well, I guess I'll find out this weekend........... Anyhow, I have the bearing now, some fine Emory cloth and the SuperLube, which appears to be a good high quality grease. So, at least I'll be able to clean things up a bit in the RA axis.

And, next year, I treat myself to a better mount.

I wanted to take it into work to do this but, they no longer let us do that. Don't want us doing our own thing on their time or being in the plant when we're off the clock. Safety/insurance reasons, I suppose. I used to have access to a full machine shop with mills, lathes, arbor press, surface grinder, solvent tank, welding machines........ Everything. No more :-(

Dave

Edited by astrogeek64, 10 November 2017 - 12:50 PM.

• bmurphy495 likes this

#68 Waldemar

Waldemar

Viking 1

Posted 10 November 2017 - 02:46 PM

The DEC shaft is a plain surface bearing? Is it at least bushed? Well, I guess I'll find out this weekend........... Anyhow, I have the bearing now, some fine Emory cloth and the SuperLube, which appears to be a good high quality grease. So, at least I'll be able to clean things up a bit in the RA axis.

And, next year, I treat myself to a better mount.

I wanted to take it into work to do this but, they no longer let us do that. Don't want us doing our own thing on their time or being in the plant when we're off the clock. Safety/insurance reasons, I suppose. I used to have access to a full machine shop with mills, lathes, arbor press, surface grinder, solvent tank, welding machines........ Everything. No more :-(

Dave

That is a real pity, Dave... Would have been a great job to accomplish by yourself.
and yes, SuperLube is a Superb Lube!

I do not have an AVX, but I don't rhink is has a bushing, otherwise there would not be these kind of problems. 

If it does, then it needs lubrication regularly for it will absolutely be no PTFE bushing but normal bronze at it's best.

The best way to lubticate a bronze bushing is to sit it on a plastif sheel, fill it with oil and put apply force on the oil surface until you see the oil coming through the walls of the bushing, since it has pores. In that will it is filled with oil to it's highest capacity and will go along a lot longer.

• astrogeek64 likes this

#69 Waldemar

Waldemar

Viking 1

Posted 10 November 2017 - 02:48 PM

Btw, if you want to step up to a better mount, a very good option would be the iOptron iEQ45Pro

• astrogeek64 likes this

#70 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 10 November 2017 - 02:53 PM

I think we need to remember that the designers of the AVX were going for a particular price point.  For $300 more per unit, they could have upgraded a number of other things, but they didn't.

That is no reason not to do third-party upgrades.  How do the things discussed here compare to Ed Thomas's hypertuning?

#71 astrogeek64

astrogeek64

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 11 November 2017 - 01:02 AM

Btw, if you want to step up to a better mount, a very good option would be the iOptron iEQ45Pro

That IS on my list of potential purchases.

#72 astrogeek64

astrogeek64

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:02 PM

Okay the DEC axis is done.

Good Grief!!!! In my case the problem wasn't excessive grease, it was AMATEURISH assembly. The "tensioner" at the bottom was too tight as was the end play adjustment at the worm gear. That was so tight I could barely turn the worm with my fingers. (After removing from main body.). After cleaning everything up, lubricating conservatively, reassembling and adjusting everything, all was smooth. No slop but no binding, either.

Then I bolted the saddle back on and it tightened right back up. Just as tight as when I started. Why? I took it back apart and had a look. Two spacers where there should have only been one, under the driven gear barrel, forcing the barrel up against the saddle. This also affected gear mesh, so that had to be adjusted again as well. Removed one, put it back together and readjusted the tensioner at the bottom. VOILA! It feels WAY better now. Fancy that! Still not perfect by any means but, I should be able to balance much better now. 

Okay, break over. Back to work!

Edited by astrogeek64, 13 November 2017 - 01:18 PM.

• gundark likes this

#73 astrogeek64

astrogeek64

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 13 November 2017 - 12:58 AM

The RA went well and it is very nice to feel how smooth and free it is now.

The DEC is still a tiny bit stiff but it's not bad and there are no tight spots as there were before.

Bring on the clear skies.

Edited by astrogeek64, 13 November 2017 - 01:16 PM.

• gundark likes this

#74 Waldemar

Waldemar

Viking 1

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:27 AM

Glad for you this operation has been successful!

Apparently Celestron is not really interested in customer satisfaction... 
Even cheap mounts should have QC, or at least been put together by somebody that is trained and knows what he/she is doing.

Edited by Waldemar, 13 November 2017 - 02:28 AM.

• astrogeek64 likes this

#75 astrogeek64

astrogeek64

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 13 November 2017 - 01:26 PM

Glad for you this operation has been successful!

Apparently Celestron is not really interested in customer satisfaction... 
Even cheap mounts should have QC, or at least been put together by somebody that is trained and knows what he/she is doing.

Well, to be fair, I bought it used. So who knows if the previous owner had been inside it? However, one thing is for sure, with my next mount purchase I will be aiming much higher and will most likely buy new. That way, if it's funky, I just make a phone call and send it back if I have to. More expensive, yes. But, it does give you more options when disappointment rears it's ugly head.

Well, good thing I'm a mechanic by trade. I do this sort of thing every day so, it doesn't intimidate me at all.

Edited by astrogeek64, 13 November 2017 - 01:27 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, Celestron, mount, DIY, equipment, eyepieces

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics